• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poke Island (SE)

Kine

Whatev
Years
  • Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Whee, more spoilers:
    Spoiler:

And that's how Lucas became a real man.... or not. In any case, my excuse for posting all this on your thread about PISE is that I'm outlining some of the ways that games waste players' time in order to make the game seem longer than it is. Heck, even I have admittedly been guilty of doing it from time to time. Once, I made a game on my graphics calculator, but as I ran out of memory to program in, I cheated and created really simple mazes that you had to walk through blindly and if you took a wrong turn you were teleported back to the start. I also made it so that there were about 4 mazes, and you had to beat them all several times to actually stand a chance against the big boss.

It was cheap, but it turned a 30 minute game into a 2 hour game. I still have that game, too. I mean, who do you know that has games programmed on their calculator? Someday it'll be worth a million dollars or something.

Long story short, it's not always a sin to make players work for the next piece of the storyline. But when you're resorting to cheap tricks every step of the way, you know there's something wrong. I always prefer short games that are fun the whole time to long games that are filled with tedious mazes and repetitive puzzles.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • Er...
    Spoiler:

I really need to get that flash cart so I can play this again. =E Darn it all. Maybe I can wait some more for a possible updated version, whatever, I mean I already know how it ends.

Oh, and pay attention to that Battle Log. That's now how the album would look. Except that it's a friends list and not enemies list, so you don't have the option to practice beating on them (that would be mean).

off the top of my head, I do know there's some revisiting areas to open up new areas much later in PI, but I don't think it ever occurs all at once. There is a part where you pretty much cover the same ground twice almost in succession, though. I'm probably going to leave that alone, something like that is hard to reaccount for, considering what happens, and I don't like rewriting anything established. Besides, the second time around is for free exploration just to take in the situation, and it's much easier considering you're only one person at that point.

Other than that, I can't think of any time wasters per se in terms of advancing the game, but I do know there's a couple of request chains from NPCs to get items or records for the album. That's optional, though. Like one character wants you to do something for them from another NPC, but that other NPC wants something from ANOTHER NPC before they'll do the favor for the first, etc. Fortunately, it's mostly just talking to a person, fighting them, or giving them something arbitrary, but I'm not going to make them all that easy. If you want that full log, hah, you better get to it.

They're only side quests. Plus, I want people to take time with this game, I mean, unless you're in a rush to go back to human trainers land (which in terms of story I'm sure some characters are). Screw that, I'm on vacation! Which is also the attitude some other Pokemon have.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    You bring up some valid points with the game. Personally, I'm being hard on it because Earthbound raised my expectations quite a bit. Had I not played it, I doubt I would be as critical of Mother 3 as I currently am. I'm still reserving judgment on it though until I've played through the whole game. I have to admit that they really make you work to get past each stage... it's an extremely finely-tuned difficulty curve. I also can't do the magic butterfly trick this time around :(

I still feel that Mother 3 is very much a serious adventure, as opposed to Earthbound. Whilst the nature of the enemies you face is still quite kooky and strange, the enemies themselves tend to pose a larger threat in general (there's a lot less enemies that randomly beat themselves up or whatever), and the bosses are hugely more dangerous. I always find myself using nearly every single item at my disposal just to barely scrape past beating the bosses of each level, even though I take time to go and train on the minor enemies at every chance I get. More importantly though, the mood of the story is still really depressing. Earthbound was almost a whimsical adventure, because despite the looming danger, everywhere you went was something new and exciting and the characters you met there were bright and amusing.

In Mother 3, it seems like each area I visit is more depressing than the last. Ruined castles, "progressed" towns, a factory, a giant tower with a sinister design... The characters themselves are more serious, and the issues that they deal with almost constantly are pretty heavy stuff.
    Spoiler:
    Granted, there's the occasional funny or lighthearted bit, but I still don't think it's as upbeat as its predecessor.

That said, the stupid game is addictive. It's hard to focus on my work and not touch the thing, because when I do play it I get really involved and then 5 hours later I'm like "Ah crud, I gotta get back to work!" However, I 'm pretty sure that how addictive it is and how depressing it is are separate. The gameplay is just fun and the dungeons aren't too complex (so far), so you don't get bored and angry every time you're forced to go hunt for something.

Spoiler:

So why do you need a flash cart? Is it because of the beat system? Even with a normal emulator, I can still get 16 hit combos every now and then, and it doesn't make TOO much of a difference ultimately anyway. Granted, there's the occasional slowdown or speed up while shopping, but it works pretty well. Plus, you can skip over the slow bits if you want!

Oh, and pay attention to that Battle Log. That's now how the album would look. Except that it's a friends list and not enemies list, so you don't have the option to practice beating on them (that would be mean).

Actually, I think that would be hillarious. I don't know why, but the thought of practicing beating on your friends whenever you feel like it seems like an extremely amusing concept. But only if they had wacky, over-the-top reactions to everything you did. Come to think of it, I've never used the battle log, so I should go check it out when I next feel like having 5 hours sucked away by this game.

Lastly, don't let me discourage you from your game ideas. While I'm making a loud complaint about Mother 3 slacking off, I really don't think you seem like the type who prefers to cut corners. Even if you have some of the time wastey stuff in the game, I feel pretty confident that your game won't rely heavily on it, so it's not an issue at all. I just wanted to bring it up, because I want to see your game turn out to be the masterpiece it's set up to become.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • Well, Mother 3 was meant to be a serious approach, for some reason. It would seem like the oddball of the series, but actually EarthBound/Mother 2 is the black sheep. Mother's story is somewhere in between the two. Nothing tragic happens, but it's major storyline, and the events that happen along the way that you hear of from townsfolk or NPCs and such, well that can be a bit sad. Especially Maria's story. I think Mother 2 magnifyed Mother's lightheartedness to make is the wacky family member, and Mother 3 magnifyed the serious part to make it the darker sibling.

Personally, I'd say PI is probably between Mother and Mother 2*, where a lot of it is sort of just silly and the main character does things because he's told to, not necessarily because he wants to or has to. I mean, Ninten's adventure is really "I'm just going to go outside today on a whim and save the world", although it's more of a sequence of strange events one after another that lead him up to that conclusion. Ness was told beforehand, but he never questioned it. Lucas is probably more like Ninten.

However, any kind of seriousness in PI comes in as you get closer to the end, where things like doubt, guilt and mistakes tend to come into play. Circumstances will eventually reduce the morale of pretty much everybody. I would say the final battle is about as dark as the game is going to get, as far as character emotions and feelings.

As I've said on my site, one of the reasons things occur is mistakes and bad assumptions, despite good intentions.

Finally, as far as both M3 and PI go, I liked how Mother 3 wasn't the bash fest that EB was, where you could go in and bash everything to death. You actually had to use PSI that ups offense/lowers defense, etc. I'd like the same for this game, as well. Enemies that really make you think about what you're going to do.

Now, just some extra M3 notes,
    Spoiler:

Also, yeah the flash cart is for beat battles, but also for portability, and the want of putting it into my GBA player on my Gamecube so I can play it with awesome surround settings and a nice sized television.

Also, check your email for Pika spritesets.

*Actually, come to think of it, PI is all three games at once. Well, PISE is. No, wait, even PI. The original game's based on EB, but also takes approaches from Mother, and includes references, some enemies and situations from both games. It was like M3 because of the newer areas, as well as the sort of self doubting parts that also seems to happen in M3. PISE is now like M3 in terms of looks and style, but there's nothing added beyond that point (which also means no cameos of M3 enemies, especially because they couldn't exist yet).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    So. Mother 3. Finished.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • Before I start on that, let me put this on top. In the case that you haven't already, I've gotten caterpillars to work. =D Or, at least +1. It's probably not the most effiencient coding as I don't have time to look it over and make sense of it (I have mock ups of art projects that I must construct), but eventually I'll go over it line by line so that I know why it works.

So, with the few Charmander spritesets I've made, he now follows Pikachu around like a mindless drone. I have to find a way to keep directions consistant. Using numbers, I could get him perfectly distanced moving any other direction EXCEPT perfectly east or west, in which Charmander's right up on Pikachu's tail. Then, should I space that, there a huge gap if they move any direction otherwise.

Eh, oh well, I'll figure that out later, too. Now, I have to figure out how to get them to JOIN (and also disband). Right now it just starts off this way.

You might also be interested in this site:
    http://sphere.sourceforge.net/flik/docs/index.html

It has a document on making characters move automatically (which goes into detail about random movement) which seems ideal for NPCs. This among others, anyway.

Eventually, I'll give you the complete Charmander spriteset, as well. Be aware, though, this guy has 4 different idle sets (and then some). I told you Charmander would be frightening... fortunately it's just him. Well, Mew would have 2, I think.

As for the rest...
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Yeah, I'm still working on my big project, so I haven't touched the coding since about a week ago. Right now, I have the world's worst stomach ache. Incidentally, the first thing I thought of when I woke up with this was all the Japanese jokes where a character is like "I'll take on this huge guy... or I would but I have a stomach ache!" It's even in Mother 3 at some point, but that's only a side bit with a pigmask.

I've always worked only on things that would make me happy, for similar reasons. If you work on something that your heart is not on, it's not going to reach its true potential, and you're far more likely to scrap the project later on down the track. I don't think anyone who's ever made a real game hasn't picked something they always wanted to do and gone from there, either.

Your ending sounds much like the "ending" to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, where you beat the game, and then you can keep playing forever and add members to your team and do stuff separately etc. Not that that's a bad thing, just that it's a different way of drawing things to a close, ie letting the player pick when they want the thing to end. (I have to add though, after working with my partner for so long, I felt sad when he stopped speaking or acting like he was still a part of the storyline except at very rare moments.)

Now for some other Mother 3 miscellanea:
    Spoiler:

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • Nope, not at all. I like my endings closed ended! When I said explore things after it's over, I mean in the EB sense (you can talk to people when it's all over, and then when you're done, you can talk to X to send you to cast and credits/epilogue), not the Pokemon sense. Pokemon's open endedness essentially kills it for me, because the major plot (if you can call it major) has an underwhelming ending, leaving you with a feeling of "now what"? I mean, if you like to continue battling without much purpose, go ahead. In the new generation, at LEAST there's wi-fi, but even that wears thin, eventually.

Any real story has to come to a close. Pokemon is just... circumstances, not really a story. I can see why it'd be more ideal as a MMORPG.

The anime isn't much better. It's like reading a book where the last page tells you to start again at page one.

PMD at least has enough of a story to make the ending a lot more satisfying, considering it has a lot more plot than any trainer game (and yet people still prefer to catch em all). The open endedness there is driven by an after story, which keeps it still interesting instead of dropping you at home, not telling you anything (and if beating Red in G/S wasn't anticlimatic I don't know what is).

I dunno what else to say on the Mother 3 thing, but it's interesting to read your analytical approach on it. It's like given the information, you understand it all, pretty much, but you still make good valid points (as far as I can tell) about why you don't like the situation. Me, personally, I'm neither for or against the ending. I would have liked something different, but it is what it is. At least I've come to live with that, anyway.

I will tell you, though, had you written this at Starmen it's possible you'd be subjected to people telling you you missed something deep, but the way you wrote this last thing out, I'm pretty sure no one would go for the jugular. There's even posts there now about dissatisfaction.

I will admit, I'm more than curious to see how much darker his original approach was. I mean, if this was the "happy" version, who knows what've happened?

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Spoiler:

Anyway, today and tomorrow are my last days of working on this project. I have to finish it, so I'll be working really hard from here on out. With any luck, I won't fail miserably and will actually manage to get this AI working properly, despite how freaking hard it is. Wish me luck.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • This is probably fruitless, but I might as well...

Anybody reading this know a good musician who has no resevervations for fan games? I could really use that musician, now, but s/he's gotta be good. I mean, really good. At least good enough to make convincing VG music that sounds just like the source (let's say like remastering).

Musicians are the hardest people to get. It's like they work on a triangle basis. On each side you have Free, Fan Game, and Good. The problem is, for the most part, it seems you can only get two of those at the same time. Example: They're good and would work for free, but won't do fan games, and so on.

Those who do all three must be hard to come by, and I dunno where to look where it's actually invited (so OCRemix and VGMix probably aren't great ideas).

Otherwise...

Perp: How'd you do on the AI project? Hopefully everything worked out ok what with the EB/M3 distraction.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Well, did I forget to tell you about Aaron Waltz? I wouldn't say he's a friend of mine, but I contacted him about using his music for a fan game once and he let me do it for free. I think he's a nice guy, and he has his own site and stuff (http://www.midishack.net/). I think he'd probably appreciate the exposure, though he may want money if he has to design a whole bunch of songs for you.

I think he makes great music, so it's a definite option if he's willing. But yeah, it's going to be extremely hard finding someone to make good songs for free. I used to play piano in my younger years and I have a program that allows me to create midis. However, I'm reluctant to offer my services for two main reasons: One, I'm already doing something big for this project, and two I'm not THAT good with music. I can make a tune, but I have yet to master multiple instruments in unison. And it takes ages, so that's three reasons!

As for my AI project, it was a hell of a ride. I didn't quite finish everything, unfortunately, though it wasn't really my fault. Friday I got a bad case of food poisoning, Saturday I was unwell for most of the day, and Monday I both had work AND had to hand my project in by 4 PM. Still, it went ok, and I did make my AI pretty impressive, at least for the parts that work. In the end though, I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't manage to get everything together exactly as I wanted. I guess that's life...

In other news, I'm still freaking sick from all that stuff and I have a few commitments coming up that need to be taken care of. I'm looking forward to being well again so I can get on with all the bajillion projects I have going that need attention. Crud, that reminds me, I need to finish some uni work before Wednesday... Oh well, I'll be free eventually.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • Haha, you say that as if I'm worried about money. =) Sure, I'm not rich, but if the price is reasonable and the work is spot on, what's a few tens of dollars?

Of course, I'm still talking flat rates, though. I might get gyped on hourly rates, especially if it's something I can do myself.

I wouldn't ask you to do anymore. I wouldn't ask a coder to be any more than that even if they could do other things. That'd be cruel. Or it'd be me. =P I'll overwork myself with little to no regret but I won't do it to anyone else.

Well, as always, I'm glad he included MP3 samples. It's so hard to get a good impression if all that exists are midi files, because sound cards are different, so there's always a different way it's going to play. I like what he has, it does sound like something that could be used in a typical RPG. However, this is a Mother like, where the music's a lot more modern or just weird and cosmic/energetic. I'll send him a mail about all this shortly. I wouldn't force all music on one person anyway. I probably won't even have the entire soundtrack (re)composed. I've listed about 19 necessary songs, and even then I could cut that down to 7 at least (and then 4 if I must get really touchy). Everything else I'll lift from EB/M3/wherever if necessary.

That AI project sounds like a game project I did for class. It didn't turn out the way I wanted, and if there was more time it may have been possible. For what it was worth, it was good. Too bad after class ended my team pretty much cut all ties right then and there. T~T I wouldn't've minded so much if the coder didn't tell me he'd give me the source code for some elements just before the last day. Couldn't even be arsed to respond to my email, which was like immediately after classes ended.

I would've continued on it myself, but there was a lot of lost motivation in the project in that it involved some personal situational stuff with people whom I'd later break it off with (not the classmates), and having the game soiled by those memories... I'd say that would be the only game project aside from a Panel de Pon hack (which at the time was just unreasonable) that I've never completed. Shoot, I can't even think about the characters without wincing a little, now.

ANYWAY...Deadlines push people, but it never seems to allow getting everything you want in. Hopefully you'll recover. And I'm not saying that so you can "get back to work" (which right now I'm not even thinking about, as far as this game goes, my current "flustered focus" is getting musicians), but because I think it's in the best interest to make sure everyone is well regardless of who they are or what they do.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Well you know, even if you aren't worried about money, it's still your money. I don't want to go around assuming you're going to shell out for bits and pieces. I mean, while I'm personally happy doing it just so I can be like "Yeah I totally worked with that guy..." to make people jealous, I imagine others will want other incentive. Just yeah... it's your money!

Uh so like, I have a few things to catch up on for uni, so I'm still a bit tied up at the moment. But there was something I took from Mother 3 a while back that I never pointed out, and I felt like I might as well bring it up now. It's not exactly a spoiler, since it just shows Lucas hanging out in a cemetery, but I dunno. Use your discretion, people!

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • Well, again it would have to be a lot for a flat rate, but none the less I got at least two people. Mostly people from Starmen.net, which makes sense, all things considered. I should've started there in the first place.

I must admit I'm kinda disappointed but not at all surprised that EB fans (or those with more knowledge of the series) help me more than Pokemon fans. I guess it's really the gameplay and not the representatives that make the difference. I bet I could've used Mario chars and the results wouldn't be any different.* And what can I say? EarthBound came first, without that, Pokemon either wouldn't exist or would be radically different, considering Red and Green were inspired by AND made by the same team** as EB.

Well, I'm pretty at ease about the whole thing, now. A bit. When I get a couple of those songs in my hands finalized I will be. =E

As for the screenshot, I remember there being a topic on that before. That's pretty weird, but even it that was what it actually said (which I doubt, I dunno how up on American terminology older Japanese guys are), who would write that? Maybe the grave digger, he's kinda iffy.

* And even then, what with all the "fandom segregation"... *once again refers to Pokemon fans observation remade in a Nidorino comic that STILL holds true*.
    **not necessarily the same full team, though I gotta imagine what an Itoi written Pokemon game would be like. A lot more to contemplate about than battle for badges, I'm pretty sure, complete with some kind of enemy you couldn't help but feel bad for!

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    God, an Itoi-written Pokemon game? Pokemon would probably be able to DIE in the game, so you'd be afraid of battling in case you lose your best friend forever...

Also, darn. I thought I was the first to notice that thing with the tombstone :(

Oh, as a side note, Pokemon tends to be more of a kiddy thing, thus the fans of it are probably too young to offer help, with the exception being a very small minority. EB on the other hand came out a long time ago, so it's bound to have a lot of older fans who are willing and have the skills to help.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • Hehe, then I guess we should be glad I didn't aim for a Itoi-based story line back then, and that EarthBound 64 never came out when it was supposed to.

Actually, I'll be honest, if EB64 did come out back then with the way it was supposed to go, I might not have favored the EB series too highly anymore. That betrayal may have been over the top for an impressionable young Patrick (that's me, of course).

Anyway, Waudby, you still with us? I remember giving you a list (which I would have corrected since then) of enemies. And now that it's occured to me, I still don't have a battle system.

There's so much thing I jump from. I go from sprites to props to map stuff to constructing maps to battle sprites. I can't stay consistant. It's pretty hard when you know there's a lot to be done. I seem to have two active other artists, fortunately, one on props and one on characters. That's good but I could surely use 8 more. @_@ 8 more consistant artists, anyway. I think anyone who's made a game with others knows about people coming and going.

Not that I mind doing the art. Heck, the battle sprites I love to do. It's quite a challenge to try to make things look both like Pokemon and EarthBound artistically at the same time, but it's always cool. Scenary I don't mind too much, either.

Well, the point is that I'm always here and there, so if I'm working on something one day, I might not be doing that part in the next few days.

That said, I haven't done much more to the Charmander spriteset. Especially because of a graphical oversight on my part, as well as the fact that I need to make shadowless walking sprites. So Pikachu should actually have another one coming.

IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING. X_X

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Well I know Waudby's alive at least. I see him on MSN from time to time...

I want to make some progress on this game, but I've got a week in which I'll mostly be studying for my exam and until I've completed my exam I don't really want to get sidetracked into anything else. I've worked really hard this semester to get good grades in this particular unit, and I don't want to stop now. That said, there's only 10 days until my exam. Once that's over, I'll be glad to get involved again and work on PISE much more steadily.

This is a short post, I know, but I'm tired now and I don't think there's a lot more to say right now.

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I must admit I'm kinda disappointed but not at all surprised that EB fans (or those with more knowledge of the series) help me more than Pokemon fans.

I'm a fan of both series, if I had the game-making skills i can help you but I'm not very good i'm afraid :(.

I do hope you carry on since this looks promising.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • No worries. =) I'm pretty sure that if I was the overly dependant type to try to do anything I wanted, I wouldn't have even started a website at all.

I'll put it to you this way, you know how there's some people who try to do things, but only if they have as much help from others (read: others doing the work for them) as possible? But then quit if that never works out?

I'm not one of those people. I'm the "go-getter against all odds" type. =D

Back