• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokeathlon vs. Contests

Pokeathlon or Contests?

• Pokeathlon

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Pokemon Contests

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    Two of the most notable competitions in the series are the Pokeathlon and Contests. One focuses on the athletic ability of the Pokemon; the other on who can pull off the most spectacular moves and wow the crowd. Both competitions had five stat/condition values from which an impression of a competitor's capabilities are drawn; Power, Speed, Stamina, Skill, and Jump for the Pokeathlon, then Coolness, Beauty, Cleverness, Cuteness and Toughness in Contests. Said values can be modified to improve performance through the use of Aprijuice or PokeBlocks. Despite similarities at the core, these two events are quite different in how competition is carried out.

What do you think of the Pokeathlon and Pokemon Contests? Which event do you prefer more and why? I personally prefer the Pokeathlon because it involves more interactions from the player, but Contests are fun as well.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I'm going with Pokeathlon on this one. Back when I used to play Pokemon together with my one group of friends, we would play Pokeathlon all night (who needs sleep?) ;3

I absolutely love the Contests, but the Pokeathlon had some really fun mini-games. And it's nice to break away from the turn-based format every once in a while in a Pokemon game.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I like the interactivity of Pokéathlons, and DPPt kinda-sorta got in on that for contests, but I really prefer the strategic elements of contests to the quick time event-style stuff. Contests are just such a neat and different way to interpret how Pokémon moves can work, and I'd love to see further implementation of the feature like. Contest combos with two of your 'mon appealing at once! Battles that are rated both on style and effectiveness, like in the anime! idk I just love the potential of contests haha

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    As much as I like contest, I go with Pokeathlon due it have more interaction than just being showing off moves

Years
    I found Pokeathlon too hard, so I vote for Contests. Plus it's even more visually beautiful in OR/AS thanks to the amazing animations you pull off when you excite the audience.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
    Pokemon Contests for me! I love the new animation in OR/AS when you're doing a special move (Scintillating Inferno forever and ever)! To be honest, I haven't had the chance to play Pokeathlon as much as I have Contests so I might be biased but that's what an opinion is all about, eh? :P

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    The anime sold me on contests anyway so I'm picking those. Doesn't really help that I haven't done the Pokéathlon ever.

Years
    The Pokéathlon was only available in one pair of games (HG/SS), that's why I voted for contests instead.

Years
    I'm a Pokéathlete for life. I've tried contests a few times in R/S/E and also D/P/Pt, but they never held my interest for very long. Watching the contests in the anime is more interesting for me than actually trying my hand as a Coordinator. I think it's because of my playstyle in the games anyway lol. I prefer to be taking part in something which similar to building bonds with Pokémon through the hard work of physical labor like in battles. As for contests, I'm only in it for the poffins/ pokéblocks XD.

Back