• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokebank OU; Recommendations Appreciated!

Tide

Nocturnal ROM Hacker
Years
  • Porygon2 is slower than Mandibuzz, so it is very likely to get Taunted in most situations.

Ya can't deal with everything.

I can try to come as close as possible, can't I? Besides, Mandibuzz really seems to be the last problem I have. My team is pretty strong from there.

With Fairies dealt with rather effectively with Iron Head Aegislash. Would it be practical to re-open the sixth slot and replace Hydreigon with something that can do significant damage to a Mandibuzz - such as Specs Jolteon or Zapdos?

A cool option I want to propose is Choice Scarf Magmortar.
    Its set would look something like this:

Magmortar (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Flame Body/Vital Spirit (Which one is best?)
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Nature: Modest
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Flamethrower
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast
    - Psychic

It can pulverize a Defensive Mandibuzz, obviously - but can also deal significant damage to a special one as well.

252+ SpA Magmortar Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 158-186 (37.2 - 43.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

An additional plus would be that it also has typing that resists Fairy. c:

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    There goes another idea...

I think you need something with a little more power than Magmortar. Roost kinda kills Magmortar's hopes of owning Mandibuzz since it can only 3HKO. I was thinking that Heatran or, like Platinum was saying, an Electric or Fairy type would be better.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Maybe Infernape would be a good choice since it has good coverage moves along with an okay speed stat to help it out. Not claiming to be an expert on competitive battling but just throwing that out there.

Edit: Wait forgot the Fairy weakness there, damn.

Besides from Infernape the only other Poke that comes to mind would have to be Jirachi since like Infernape it has a good movepool with passable speed but without the pesky Fairy weakness although Ghost types will no be fun to play with since it shares the Ghost type weakness with Aegislash and Megacham there. Sorry I could not think of many more options off the top of my head right now.

Last edited:

Tide

Nocturnal ROM Hacker
    Years
  • 252+ SpA Heatran Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 169-199 (39.8 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Heatran can only do a little more damage than Magmortar in this case - but it doesn't have the Electric coverage Magmortar can offer - nor the speed in comparison.

Ephemeral Euphoria said:
    Besides from Infernape the only other Poke that comes to mind would have to be Jirachi since like Infernape it has a good movepool with passable speed

Both pokemon have lower Special Attack stats than Magmortar - and with Specs; would do no more than Magmortar would.

However, to bring up Electric types - we have a piece we can bring back into the equation.

252 SpA Choice Specs Galvantula Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mandibuzz: 360-426 (84.9 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I didn't think that Magmortar's Sp.Attack was comparable to Heatran's.

But its kinda funny that Galvantula ends up being the 6th slot after all. It does appear to be your best bet against Mandibuzz, who can only 3HKO Galvantula. They don't normally carry a Flying attack, do they? Galvantula also gets to OHKO physical ones for sure. So, for the spider's actual set, how does this sound?:

-Galvantula w/Choice Specs
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Compound Eyes
    EVs: 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
    Moves: Thunder, Bug Buzz, Sticky Web, Giga Drain

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I didn't think that Magmortar's Sp.Attack was comparable to Heatran's.

But its kinda funny that Galvantula ends up being the 6th slot after all. It does appear to be your best bet against Mandibuzz, who can only 3HKO Galvantula. They don't normally carry a Flying attack, do they? Galvantula also gets to OHKO physical ones for sure. So, for the spider's actual set, how does this sound?:

-Galvantula w/Choice Specs
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Compound Eyes
    EVs: 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
    Moves: Thunder, Bug Buzz, Sticky Web, Giga Drain

Specs Sticky Web is impractical. The better item is Focus Sash because it ensures Galvantula gets Sticky Web up, or Life Orb for a boost almost equivalent to Specs, while having the freedom to switch moves.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • I am in the process of my 12th draft of this Pokebank OU team - and I think that it'd be practical to seek out help this time around to ensure that the best results come out from a community of competitive intellectuals. The primary goal of this thread is to get opinions on a pokemon to fulfill the sixth slot and its desired niche - because I find that the other pokemon in my team work very well together in the already implemented strategic foundation. However, valid suggestions of other team modifications will definitely be considered by them. I appreciate all of your input!

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 156 HP / 100 Atk / 252 Spd
    Nature: Jolly
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Superpower

Purpose: Landorus-Therian is used as a Stealth Rock lead that can come in later in the match to deal brutal damage and take hits with its Intimidate ability and HP investment.​

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Ability: Trace
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Nature: Calm
    - Toxic
    - Recover
    - Discharge
    - Ice Beam

Purpose: Porygon2 is a very useful wall on the specially defensive side. (Even though it can completely engulf some physical attacks as well with the Eviolite boost.) It can copy useful abilities with Trace, easily take hits, deal decent damage with Electric/Ice coverage, and Recover. It's very difficult take down, and it always leaves a dent. The Attack IVs are removed to take less damage from pokemon that utilize Foul Play, like Klefki and even Malamar.

Medicham (F) @ Medichamite
    Ability: Pure Power
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Nature: Jolly
    - Bullet Punch
    - Drain Punch
    - Psycho Cut
    - Thunder Punch

Purpose: A whopping 598 attack stat (which includes Pure Power boost) easily makes up for Mega-Medicham's frail qualities. With a decent speed boost upon Mega Evolution, Medicham is a huge threat to a lot of pokemon, and it has access to priority Bullet Punch if necessary.​

Aegislash (M) @ Weakness Policy
    Ability: Stance Change
    EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 4 Def / 128 SAtk
    Nature: Rash Quiet (Thanks PlatinumDude!)
    - King's Shield
    - Iron Head
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Shadow Ball

Purpose: I decided to run a mixed Aegislash to help patch up the offensive balance of my team. With the other special attackers being more defensive-based pokemon, I needed a way to benefit that offensive side while not leaving physical attacking to dry. That being said, I figured this set would be a practical compromise. King's Shield can be used to hinder physical attackers, Shadow Sneak is for priority, Sacred Sword is to deal massive damage from the physical spectrum, and Shadow Ball is to deal massive damage from the special spectrum.

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Nature: Bold
    - Thunder Wave
    - Slack Off
    - Scald
    - Psychic

Purpose: The capabilities of Slowbro for this team's composition were brought to my attention by Jin of the Gale. I am very thankful he suggested Slowbro to this team, and I am also feeling rather stupid for not thinking of it beforehand. Slowbro can swallow the hits from Talonflame and Azumarill, can paralyze threats, burn attackers with Scald, and recover reliably with Slack Off. Like Porygon2, it also has extracted Attack IVs to prevent any additional unnecessary Foul Play damage.

??? (???) @ ???
    Ability: ???
    EVs: ???
    Nature: ???
    - ???
    - ???
    - ???
    - ???

Purpose: What I'm specifically looking for is a quick and hard-hitting special attacker that is positively effective in type coverage. I am 99.9% sure this pokemon will be holding Choice Specs or a Choice Scarf.

Here's a graphic organizing device that shows the cumulative type coverage my team is composed of. Please note that I'm not basing my team's quality on this, I just find it a nice portrayal of type-resistance distribution in a way that is easy to look at.

I have a few ideas as to what pokemon I want to put in this slot, but I want to run the ideas by all of you in the Battle Center to get your opinions, as well as to see if there are better alternatives that I am not considering. I'll put my pre-thought up ideas in multiple spoilers to not murder your eyes with additional formatting.

First Potential Option:
    Spoiler:

Second Potential Option:
    Spoiler:

Third Potential Option:
    Spoiler:

Fourth Potential Option:
    Spoiler:

Fifth Potential Option:
    Spoiler:

Again, these are just a few options I initially have in mind. If you have better ideas to suggest, whether it be relevant to specifically the empty sixth slot, or the team as a whole; PLEASE say them. Constructive criticism and comments on the other aspects of my team would also be appreciated. Thank you for reading and I hope to see your assistance.

with Slowbro are you taking out the Spd Ivs out of him as well?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    What reason would there be to do that?

Gyro Ball? Not like Slowbro cares about Gyro Ball.

I kinda forgot that Specs+Sticky Web is not the world's greatest idea.

Back