• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokebeach interview with former director (REALLY interesting)

Wormow

Worminister
    Years
    I'm eager to have my own questions answered, so I made a post at PokeBeach's forums. I hope Water Pokémon Master manages to either get another interview at some other point, or at least get an email to ask further questions!

I want to see what they actually do with the cast as Pocket Monsters Diamond & Pearl ends. The resolution of the GS Ball is somewhat disappointing, but oh well.

Because, as Charaxes is more than aware of, I want to know about the recent animation changes. Bahahahaha. :D

Lash's friend got a interview with Satoshi.

Wow, this explains so much about the GS Ball!

Years
    Yeah, but he played dumb with the question of platinum and arceus. I doubt he knows NOTHING of them. Ha, he thinks he can fool some of us... FOOL!!!

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
    Just a few comments:

Why do I find the reason for ditching Brock in the Orange Islands extremely hokey? Maybe the Japanese aren't used to black people the same way Americans are.

We all knew already that the GS ball contains Celebi (mirroring the games), but it was still very irresponsible to drop such an important plot thread like that. If you cannot come up with original storylines independent from a relatively plotless game, you know you're a bad writer. Oh well. It happened during what people say was a dark time in the Pokemon anime anyways.

The "eye candy" comment was, er, off-putting. But I loved the fandom reaction to the comment. Dogasu from Bulbagarden captured it perfectly. "'OMG a Japanese guy says something sexist!' Really!?!? HOW UNEXPECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!" And I love how the Bring Misty Back club is using this as an excuse to pick on the other girls, ignoring Misty's many "eye candy" moments. On a more serious note, it's disappointing that they would just drop female characters like that, even after they received so much character development.

Hidaka claimed that when Ash became a Pokemon Master, the show is over. Very direct. Now if WPM actually asked to clarify the definition of the "Pokemon Master" term rather than bringing up Misty every few seconds, that statement might have been more meaningful. But I suppose the ambiguity of the term fits with his claim that Pokemon will continue for many years to come. Well, as long as they keep switching up the cast (including the male characters) with decent characters, you won't hear me complaining too much, even if the overall plot is a repetitive cycle.

So, in the end, it was more of a confirmation of what we already knew rather than a revelation of new info. The new info we did get (like Ash's father) is interesting, though.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Man.. I could type paragraphs up commenting about that all. xDD

I'll keep it short though.

I love how he finally confirmed that the charactrs don't age.
    Proves all the people wrong, who say that Ash is 25, and firmly believe it. wtf?

It was also nice to hear him say that Pokemon will have a 5th gen, and more after that even~. <3
    Awesome. Lovin' that.

Years
    Why do I find the reason for ditching Brock in the Orange Islands extremely hokey? Maybe the Japanese aren't used to black people the same way Americans are.

The "eye candy" comment was, er, off-putting. But I loved the fandom reaction to the comment. Dogasu from Bulbagarden captured it perfectly. "'OMG a Japanese guy says something sexist!' Really!?!? HOW UNEXPECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!" And I love how the Bring Misty Back club is using this as an excuse to pick on the other girls, ignoring Misty's many "eye candy" moments. On a more serious note, it's disappointing that they would just drop female characters like that, even after they received so much character development.

Actually, it was more for the English audience's benefit and their being used to de facto white casts (a fact of life), not the reverse (the debate of Brock's ethnicity aside). And it was Nintendo's orders, so call it good old fashioned "executive meddling." Of course, it didn't work, and well, Brock's just a better character (until Johto).

As for the eye candy comment, well, one look at Hikari's outfit told me all I needed to know. And why pour gasoline on a flammable situation, anyway? Heh. At least, the man was honest.

PorygonSquared

Years
    As for the eye candy comment, well, one look at Hikari's outfit told me all I needed to know. And why pour gasoline on a flammable situation, anyway? Heh. At least, the man was honest.

I don't really think that the Japanese see it as awkward, though, considering they make girls wear skirts of that length as part of their school uniforms. Even if I'm exaggerating on this point, indeed it's present in a lot of anime school uniforms (of course as fetish, but the point is the Japanese don't see it in the same way as Westerners do).

Years
    I don't really think that the Japanese see it as awkward, though, considering they make girls wear skirts of that length as part of their school uniforms. Even if I'm exaggerating on this point, indeed it's present in a lot of anime school uniforms (of course as fetish, but the point is the Japanese don't see it in the same way as Westerners do).

Oh, I don't, either -- I'm just numb to it by this point. Anyway, my original point was more "everyone else will chime in about the comment, so why should I?" My priorities on D/P are the villains and game canon characters if nothing else.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Bye, bye Dawn! The show doesn't need you anymore! > 5th generation. Yay! Another female character.

Is that what are they going to do...? That's so lame...

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Bye, bye Dawn! The show doesn't need you anymore! > 5th generation. Yay! Another female character.

Is that what are they going to do...? That's so lame...

No kidding! I mean, I personally feel that it's pointless to create a character only to have said character leave as soon as the New Gen games come out, especially if the other characters get to stay. In my mindset, it is either "Remove ALL of the main characters and replace them with the new characters of the current Gen" or "Keep the cast you started with since Day one". If I were them, I'd definitely pick the latter, but since they are independent of my thought, they should have picked the former.

I mean, the games don't have you playing as Ash all the time, Heck, Pokemon Special replaces all of the characters when a new gen arrives, so who says they HAVE to keep Ash, Brock, and JJM and only replace the female?

Actually, that point is also what made me realize that the Writers motivations for replacing her HAD to be the sexist "Eye candy" comment rather than the arguements of "Misty's Boring and Stale from Togepi/Johto/Etc. Etc." and "We need to promote the new games" long before this interview was made. I mean, it's funny... The Writers admitted they didn't want to offend anyone in regards to Brock resembling an Asian stereotype and Jynx resembling a Blackface actress, yet they seem to have forgotten that what they are currently doing with the females IS offensive towards women?!

sorry if I went a bit ranty there, but I really hated what he said, as well as the whole concept.

Oh yeah, and about the claims that Misty isn't returning as a Main character, even IF he was honest about it, that doesn't mean he wasn't mistaken. Besides, he is a former director and is getting less involved with the show. The mere fact that he didn't even know about Platinum shows that he probably doesn't have his facts straight. I might have had a better chance of believing him if he was still the director, which even THEN, that doesn't mean he can't make mistakes. If I recall correctly, he and his writers mentioned that Ash's Father would be appearing in Season 5 according to the director's commentary of the 3rd movie, and we all know what really happened.

anyways, that's all for now.

PorygonSquared

Years
    Actually, that point is also what made me realize that the Writers motivations for replacing her HAD to be the sexist "Eye candy" comment rather than the arguements of "Misty's Boring and Stale from Togepi/Johto/Etc. Etc." and "We need to promote the new games" long before this interview was made. I mean, it's funny... The Writers admitted they didn't want to offend anyone in regards to Brock resembling an Asian stereotype and Jynx resembling a Blackface actress, yet they seem to have forgotten that what they are currently doing with the females IS offensive towards women?!

sorry if I went a bit ranty there, but I really hated what he said, as well as the whole concept.

This is Japan. It's integrated into their culture. It's not right, but if you want to stop it, you have to strike at the heart of their culture, not just bring back a character to a children's television show. And besides, when guys are put in skintight suits or swim shorts for eye candy reasons, that's not sexist?

And Hidaka never said that the replacement was solely for eye candy purposes. WPM never asked for the full explanation, instead choosing to irritatingly bring up Misty.

Oh yeah, and about the claims that Misty isn't returning as a Main character, even IF he was honest about it, that doesn't mean he wasn't mistaken. Besides, he is a former director and is getting less involved with the show. The mere fact that he didn't even know about Platinum shows that he probably doesn't have his facts straight. I might have had a better chance of believing him if he was still the director, which even THEN, that doesn't mean he can't make mistakes. If I recall correctly, he and his writers mentioned that Ash's Father would be appearing in Season 5 according to the director's commentary of the 3rd movie, and we all know what really happened.

He doesn't know about Platinum because he's writing for the ANIME, not the games. Writing game scenarios is someone else's job.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    This is Japan. It's integrated into their culture. It's not right, but if you want to stop it, you have to strike at the heart of their culture, not just bring back a character to a children's television show. And besides, when guys are put in skintight suits or swim shorts for eye candy reasons, that's not sexist?

And Hidaka never said that the replacement was solely for eye candy purposes. WPM never asked for the full explanation, instead choosing to irritatingly bring up Misty.

He implied it, though, which, to me (and apparantly to everyone else, it's the exact same thing as outright stating it.)

Also, I do plan on striking at the heart of their culture. after I bring her back, I'm also going to announce a book burning of LH, Negima, and any other things depicting sexist depictions of females. (In fact, I also will do it here, with the eradication of Playboy and Modeling magazines.)

Also, I think after that, I'll also try to do that (eliminating Speedo men, I mean).

He doesn't know about Platinum because he's writing for the ANIME, not the games. Writing game scenarios is someone else's job.

I'm pretty sure he would have caught wind of Platinum, if not from the various advertisements on tv, magazines, and other things, then definitely from the Pokemon Company Executives and Satoshi Tajiri (since, you know, they are pretty much told to write an adaptation of the games from the guys who create it.). Heck, according to the various credits, Satoshi Tajiri is the Executive creator of the Pokemon Anime, which means that, even IF he was still the Director, he has to take commands from Satoshi Tajiri.

Besides, if the Director was able to know about Ho-Oh, Togepi, Marril, Snubble, Lugia, Slowking, Hoothoot, Elekid, Donphan, Keckleon, Wailmer, Blaziken, Wynaut, the Lati@s, Munchlax, Mime jr. Bonsly, Weavile, Lucario, Mantyke, Buizel, Chatot, and Manaphy, he would certainly know about Platinum (I'm mentioning them since they all are pokemon that debuted before their generation was released, which, if he didn't know about them, they wouldn't have even appeared in the Anime before the games were made.).

well, that's all for now. And mods, sorry if I went over the line.

PorygonSquared

Years
    He implied it, though, which, to me (and apparantly to everyone else, it's the exact same thing as outright stating it.)

Also, I do plan on striking at the heart of their culture. after I bring her back, I'm also going to announce a book burning of LH, Negima, and any other things depicting sexist depictions of females. (In fact, I also will do it here, with the eradication of Playboy and Modeling magazines.)

Burning books! Burning books!! BURNING BOOKS!!! Ha, ha ha, HA HA HA! HA! You mean like what those church groups tried to do with Harry Potter? HA HA HA HA HA!!! Man, I love it when people want to start burning books!

Also, I think after that, I'll also try to do that (eliminating Speedo men, I mean).

Alas, I used up all my laughing on the former comment. I mean, what if men WANT to dress in Speedos? After all, Speedo men already have a stigma of unattractiveness in North America (although it is perfectly legit in Europe), so why do you want to add insult to injury? Heck, some women are stigmatized for wearing bikinis too, ya know.

I'm pretty sure he would have caught wind of Platinum, if not from the various advertisements on tv, magazines, and other things, then definitely from the Pokemon Company Executives and Satoshi Tajiri (since, you know, they are pretty much told to write an adaptation of the games from the guys who create it.). Heck, according to the various credits, Satoshi Tajiri is the Executive creator of the Pokemon Anime, which means that, even IF he was still the Director, he has to take commands from Satoshi Tajiri.

Besides, if the Director was able to know about Ho-Oh, Togepi, Marril, Snubble, Lugia, Slowking, Hoothoot, Elekid, Donphan, Keckleon, Wailmer, Blaziken, Wynaut, the Lati@s, Munchlax, Mime jr. Bonsly, Weavile, Lucario, Mantyke, Buizel, Chatot, and Manaphy, he would certainly know about Platinum (I'm mentioning them since they all are pokemon that debuted before their generation was released, which, if he didn't know about them, they wouldn't have even appeared in the Anime before the games were made.).

He doesn't have much influence anymore. Why would they tell him?

And mods, sorry if I went over the line.
    Sheesh. Why do you keep making value judgments about yourself? It's like you have no confidence in your posts. Isn't it the mods' decision whether your statement is offensive or not?

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    No kidding! I mean, I personally feel that it's pointless to create a character only to have said character leave as soon as the New Gen games come out, especially if the other characters get to stay. In my mindset, it is either "Remove ALL of the main characters and replace them with the new characters of the current Gen" or "Keep the cast you started with since Day one". If I were them, I'd definitely pick the latter, but since they are independent of my thought, they should have picked the former.
    "Remove ALL of the main characters and replace them with the new characters of the current Gen", I agree with this point. That explains why the Pokemon Special Manga is MORE popular than the anime counterpart... What I also like from the manga counterpart is, the old main characters returns but only as minor or supporting characters.

Last edited:
    Back