• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokecommunity Battling Tutoring: ideas.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
    • Seen yesterday
    To be fair our "current" tutoring program sucks. There i said it. It needs to be sorted desperately. No one participates, that and our tutors are always busy or just cant be bothered. So it needs to be made better.

Basically because we had so many ideas in our "revival thread" which is a good thing i kinda wanted the same sort of thing feedback wise for tutoring.

One idea which people liked was this

(22:02:07) +Dark Azelf: an idea i had
    (22:02:28) +Dark Azelf: was like a tutor takes an apprentice
    (22:02:35) Vrai: okay
    (22:02:41) +Dark Azelfhttp://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=238074&page=2#: and is given a time scale
    (22:02:45) +Dark Azelf: to help make them better
    (22:02:51) +Dark Azelf: then we all come together at the end of the time scale
    (22:03:04) +Dark Azelf: and the apprentices have a tourney to see who has improved the most, with our guidance of course

(22:03:08) +Dark Azelf: and prizes are given
    (22:03:15) +Dark Azelf: and emblems

(22:03:20) +Dark Azelf: Ovb they can apply again if they feel they need to improve more but yeah. I really think this can motivate people and improve them too.
    (22:03:24) Vrai: because emblems get the most people to come
    (22:03:25) Vrai: :<
    (22:03:28) +Dark Azelf: XD
    (22:03:31) Vrai: but yeah that's a good idea
    (22:03:31) +Dark Azelf: prizes too lol

So let me ask you PC, what would YOU like to see in a tutoring program to make you want to participate ? Doesnt matter your skill level nor how long you have been here. I want ideas. This will benefit everyone and increase our player base should people participate and stick around because it really is fun, so please throw ideas our there.

Also who would be a tutor or just participate ? Im just curious lol

Last edited:

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • Tbh I really like the idea of getting something equal to a "pet minion" that you can pit against other peoples minions in a tournament lol :x

So yeah, a tournament would be nice. Something akin to a seperate tutor and apprentice tourney perhaps? And people would win depending on how well they and their apprentice does together or something, idk.

But I'm totally in for this as a tutor if anyone wants me lol

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • I also like this idea, and I'd be down to be a tutor for this. (we need to start next year though im gone from christmas to jan 2nd lol)
    Oh right forgot: Gen V Wifi and basic LC Wifi tutoring. Dream World is dumb lol

One thing though- is it going to be for separate tiers? Because some people might want to improve in OU/UU while others are looking at Ubers/LC improvement persay

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well UU/NU dont have a metagame yet so anything bar those.

Also i like that tag team type tourney oppo.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    this sounds interesting. do you have to own gen 5 games tho because im still waiting on the na release.

btw im new so don't judge me
    yet...

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • I'd like to be a tutor if possible. :x I can tutor OU or LC Gen 5. Now...I just need to make a LC team on PO lol. That doesn't include Harvest Exeggcute. rofl

So uhh, yeah sign me up for a tutor if you wanna.

Detox

Because Dream World sucks.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    im kinda new to the whole pc-pokemon thing. could i get a link for this and i would like to be a tutoree since i havn't played pokemon competively in well... ever.

.Aero

Years
  • im kinda new to the whole pc-pokemon thing. could i get a link for this and i would like to be a tutoree since i havn't played pokemon competively in well... ever.

The program can be found here. Just download it there, and open up the program. After that, go to "Go Online" and look for the "PC Battle Server" and double click it. :D There you should meet a few of us PC battlers, like myself and DA (Dark Azelf).

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    could i get a list of banned pokemon for competitive purposes. and im still kind of waiting on the whole tutor/aprentinces thing. thanks tho that helps alot

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • I kind of had an idea of what I envision when I began to pester Anti about the Tutoring system earlier this year, around April I think. I'm just going to do bullet points, but if something is unclear I'll expand upon it.

• All Tutors will do Standard or Dreamworld (none of this bullcrap fringe metagames littlecup advance or whatever, if you want help on that ask someone in your spare time, the objective of the tutor program should be to get members ready to battle on a big stage). We also don't have a large enough userbase to have tutors for these fringe metagames to begin with.
    • Each tutor is assigned one tutee. From this point on they become a coach to said tutee and can teach said user about competitive pokemon in anyway they wish. Be it battling over and over again, just talking about pokemon and then making a quick team together and battling with it. What have you. The world is your burrito.
    • After a designated period of time which will be established before this ever gets off the ground, a tournament will be established and the tutees will square off against each other. (Obviously the format for said tournament will be established once we find out how many tutors and tutees we have) The winner of the tournament can get a emblem or whatever and the tutor will also be rewarded, again we can work this out as it goes on. %%%%%%BY THE WAY: These battles will be done by the tutee themselves, if the tutor in any way shape or form guides their tutee they will be punished.%%%%%%%
    • After the tutor session is over each tutee will send in a review of their tutor which will answer specific questions involving tutor quality and time spent and how they educated you, friendliness etc. and from there on the tutor will be evaluated.
    • Rinse and repeat.
    I think thats pretty clear but if anyone is confused or sees a weak spot point it and i'll try to clarify.

p.s. dibs on tutor

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • It seems like the proposal in the OP is basically a reincarnation of the original tutoring program from back in the day with a tournament tacked on the end of it...and a tournament would not have solved the various problems with the original program. If anyone remembers, the problem with that program was that there were massive communication issues. Tutors were generally unwilling to do anything, and iirc there was a case of one tutor who just didn't participate after signing up. Really the whole thread is summed up by this post.

I don't see how we can realistically implement what is essentially the same thing and expect it to go differently because we're offering emblems. As I just mentioned, the tutors were pretty lazy. To combat that problem, I feel like we shouldn't be begging tutors to sign up like we did in every previous attempt at a tutoring program but instead to have people that are both very dedicated and have the time to have multiple lengthy tutoring sessions with the students. If our tutors don't care or are too busy then whoever the student/apprentice is will not have anything close to a worthwhile experience.

Next up, the match-ups should not be done randomly. Time zones, work hours, or whatever else affects the ability of tutors and students to get together and actually do what the program is meant to do should be taken into account. How exactly to do this I do not know. Either way, it should not be totally disregarded.

I am in favor of a tournament at the end since it adds incentive to get better for the students and tutors alike. However, I don't really see what having emblems will do. Seriously, no one takes them seriously at all lol, it's basically a pat on the back except it doesn't feel good to receive...so IDK why that's even being considered. And honestly, I don't want people doing the program to get some reward (assuming we replaced emblems with an actual reward that doesn't stink) since we really do just want people who actually want to be pretty active in this. But maybe I'm reading into it too much. Either way, I say thumbs down on emblems.

The general structure of the program is fine though. I think that of the two ways we have tried to do it, this way is the better bet. We can't be ignorant of what happened before though. We have to make sure that this time we don't mess it up by making sure that it doesn't get bogged down.

Since the OP asked me to, I'll just say that I won't be a tutor. I can't gen 5 since pseudo Japanese names are death and I can't understand or organize them in my head at all, as you guys all know.

Also, I feel like we should not be in a hurry to get this thing up and running. The metagame right now, as I understand it, seems to be pretty chaotic. I don't see why we shouldn't just refine the program before posting its finalized version to let the suspect test play itself out and English names would be nice too. But a gen 5 player probably has more insight on that than I do.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Just saying I think this would work well, and I'll probably have more to suggest when I'm not tired. And I'll be a tutor, I'm going to start laddering / actually battling tomorrow if no issues shows up lol.

Also, a rule for not allowing regulars to sign up as an apprentice until we have enough tutors for both regulars and new people. Though there was probably going to be a rule for that anyway.

could i get a list of banned pokemon for competitive purposes. and im still kind of waiting on the whole tutor/aprentinces thing. thanks tho that helps alot
    The current Smogon ban list is Arceus, Dialga, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Zekrom, Genosekuto, Kerudio, and Meloetta, but the latter three are only banned because they haven't been released yet.

The Pokémon Online server (not all of them, just the official one) has the same, but with Deoxys-A, Manaphy, Shaymin-S, and Darkrai added. I'm pretty sure we follow PO's until Smogon has finished their suspect test. Also, we banned the Inconsistent ability on our server due to it being too broken (well, most of us think so).

.Aero

Years
  • The reason the metagame is so chaotic is because dream world abilities are constantly being released and new pokemon are continuing to become useful (Note: Politoed and his Drizzle). If we can cipher through all the unreleased DW abilities and figure out which ones will dramatically affect the metagame (such as Drizzle/Drought), we could start tutoring at least. I understand theorymon is frowned upon, but certain things like "Heat Whatever" Drifblim aren't going to do anything to the metagame.

However, I understand that it is ever changing right now, but I don't see the harm in at least starting the program. The tutorees will need to get acquainted with basics before worrying about getting amazing synergy. We could simply start with an intro to EVs; IVs; Other basic stuff like Speed Tiers and whatnot.

Also, the Emblem incentive isn't all that great lol. I'm sure some people will want one, but it essentially means nothing. I'm just at a loss of what else we could award to the pair that wins the tournament. Someone suggested Mod Powers for a day, but I'm not sure how well that would blow over with the H-Staff.

We need to rope in members that are willing to learn as well. :x It might end up being the tutoree's fault and not the tutor's. So yeah. If I haven't said already, I'd enjoy being a tutor. I'm always on (in case you haven't noticed); I think I've learned the Gen 5 metagame quite thoroughly and I'm doing much better this gen than I did in Gen 4. ;D So yeah.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • Are u accepting aprentices yet? I'd like to be one for gen 5 ou uu and nu

It looks like we are still "working out" what we are going to do as tutors, as well as deciding about who'll be available for tutoring, but I'll make sure that you'll get notified when this starts, so you won't miss a thing, promise!

Also, there's just two tiers atm for generation 5, namely ubers and ou, no official tiers barring that :x EDIT: ok fine wolf, Little Cup (aka unevolved mons'@ lvl 5 only) is also an official tier)

@ Aero, Mod powers on PO! Yeaaaaa ;D

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • I'm sorry if this is incredibly noobish, but what does it mean by 'tutor'?
    Does it mean, you teach the apprentice how to battle well, or is it something else? <3

Back