• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeDad plays with PokeSon

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2011
    okay so I just found this forum today and it looks like a very nice and clean community so far.

my son has just about beat HeartGold and talked me into buying SoulSilver and for some reason I really like it and can't stop playing.

hope to learn more cool stuff here that i can show my son and be his idol...
    :D

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • That's cool that you're playing Pokemon with your son! I'm sure he's very happy that you are taking an interest in something he likes. :D I'm sure you'll find our community a fun place to be! Hope to see you around~

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2011
    thanks i hope to learn enough to catch a legendary. i know he has at least one.

he has a male and female pikachu and got them to lay an egg and traded me their spawn (pichu) but i'm having a hard time getting it to evolve.

is pikachu legendary? al i know is that i've heard of him lots before ever playing.

Ayselipera

Awhh, that's adorable that you play with your son! I wish my dad was a big Pokemon fan too. :)

Yeah HeartGold and SoulSilver were pretty good remakes. I was impressed by them at least. Have you played any other Pokemon games or did you just get into it?

Pokecommunity is a forum open to all ages so that's where the cleanliness comes in. :p In that case then maybe your son can make an account too? Anyway, I hope you learn some information that comes in handy!

Edit: No Pikachu isn't a legendary. It's just the mascot of Pokemon. ;)

Pechachu

Indifference, I choose you!
    Years
  • D'aw, it's sweet that you're bonding like that. I'm sure you'll find loads of cool things on the forums to show him, we're all pretty nuts about Pokeymans around here. It sounds like you're really new to the franchise, but don't worry, you'll catch up. You've only got 15 years of gaming to learn. ;p

Anyway, welcome to the forums, we're all really friendly around here and I'm sure there's more than a few people willing to help you learn the ropes. If you like, you can message me on my profile and I'll answer any basic questions you have. Have fun~

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • That's way awesome you play Pokemon with your son. :) I wish my dad had done that, but oh well. Glad you can be there for your son! You should definitely get some of the older games, such as Red and Silver, and really show him some old school stuff. My little brother loves watching me play old games.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy it here, and if you have any questions about the games themselves, there are question and answer threads in their respective forums. People usually reply pretty quickly. And if you have any questions about the site, feel free to drop a message and ask. I'm always here to help. :)

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    That's awesome, I love that some parents take the time to get into games with their kids. My mom has always found Pokemon stupid, and didn't want any part of it aside from buying me games when I was younger. BUT it's great that you're taking an interest, and that you like Soul Silver / Heart Gold!

Welcome to the forums!

I hope you can enjoy this place, and keep enjoying the games. :)

Years
  • thanks i hope to learn enough to catch a legendary. i know he has at least one.

he has a male and female pikachu and got them to lay an egg and traded me their spawn (pichu) but i'm having a hard time getting it to evolve.

That's a cool thing that you're trying to get into games your kid is into. Reminds me that my dad played my game sometimes when I was younger, but I think the Game Boy screen was small for him and he stopped playing since he was far more used to a PC.

And Pichu evolves into Pikachu through an evolution concept called "friendship". That's based on how many steps you walk with your Pokemon consecutively and how well you battle with it, to put it simply. So, if you want it to evolve, don't put it in the PC until it does.

Welcome to the PokeCommunity!

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I don't blame you. I'll be 80 years old and still playing games.
    Nice to meet you, my name is Eivana, if you want to talk to me you can always leave me a message and we'll chat.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • My old man was the same way when I first got into the games twelve years ago...makes me miss him. :P

It appears that you're really new at this, so if you need help or advice, feel free to check out the Simple Questions thread in the HG/SS section. :D

Otherwise, welcome to the PokeCommunity, our own vaguell insane corner of the Internet. Be sure to have fun and ask the sweet people with the colorful usernames if you have any questions. :D

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2011
    I've already learned a ton on the forums tonight since joining. I'll stick around for sure and probably get my kid on here eventually too.

Thanks for the advice.

So who is better him for having HG or me for having SS? :D lol j/k

Years
  • You are the coolest dad ever. Pokemon isn't cool by itself, but playing Pokemon with your son is.

Welcome to PC!

I also snagged a Good Rod that catches level 20 pokefish which pikachu easily obliterates so i quickly leveled her up to 33 or so by fishing.
    By level 20 fish, are you talking about the Magikarp that only either splashes or tackles? Because those are pretty bad for exp. And they are actually pretty nice if you get them to evolve. Very gangsta.

180px-130Gyarados.png

Last edited by a moderator:

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
  • Lucky you :D
    I wish my dad played Pokémon... hes more of a Mario Kart person though :(

Υeah, have fun at PC, and remember not to break any rules

Oh by the way, AceDragonite and I rule you now

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Aww thats cool that you do that
    Glad you are learning more! :)
    Its pretty eay to catch up on, unless you want to go competive.

When I got heart gold my dad tried it and didnt know anything, gave it back 2 mins later. course he dosent play any games lol.

Hope you and your son have fun!

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
  • Ahhh so you're one of those rare 'cool' dads I have been hearing about for years! I am glad to see they actually exist! Welcome to Pokecommunity! have a great time!

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I wish my dad was a bit like you. Although my dad likes games, too. I guess that's a start.

Anyways, welcome to The PokéCommunity Forums ctrpapa (or PokéDad). I hope you learn more about Pokémon and have fun. ^_~

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks again for the warm welcome. I took some advice from SmartOne and got my Pichu to finally evolve last night (also found where to buy thunderbolt with all those coins collected for the past couple weeks)

I also snagged a Good Rod that catches level 20 pokefish which pikachu easily obliterates so i quickly leveled her up to 33 or so by fishing.

Can I get a better Rod somewhere? What's the best Rod catch?

GaXeL

Feraligatr Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2012
    lol hack into your game with action replay... just kidding
    List of legendaries:
    Articuno, zapdos, moltres, mew, mewtwo, lugia, ho-oh, celebi, regirock, registeel, regisnow (forgot his name), latios, latias, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, palkia, dialga, and giratina
    there are also new ones that are supposed to come out soon (reshram and forgot the other one)

super rod, its in Kanto by that big bridge at the bottom of lavender town. youll see a house and then go talk to the guy inside
    AND SS and HG are the same thing, if you like psychic or water types go with SS cause lugia is a Flying/Psychic type that can learn water moves (i chose SS cause i love lugia). Ho-oh if you like fire types. Neither really has a big difference because you get both legendaries anyways. If you have SS you get lugia at LVL 40 with the special move aeroblast and get Ho-oh later on without sacred fire. If your son has HG he would have Ho-oh at LVL 40 with sacred fire and Lugia at LVL 70 without aeroblast. also each version has minor differences like SS has different pokemon you can catch than HG

Last edited by a moderator:

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • My mom is too busy to play, mt dad doesn't want to... u_u
    Anyways, welcome to PC ! Don't forget to read our rules, so you won't get in trouble. We're friendly, you won't be killed banned, just warned.
    Oh and keep playing Pokemon with you son ! =) Keep it up for BW, you'll have great time soon.

And actually, Ho-oh gets Sacred Fire in SS and Lugia gets Aeroblast in HG. It changed since GS.

Back