• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokedex

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
    Guys, I just uploaded a new version of my pokedex that I have been secretly writing the past few days. It introduces a few efficiency improvements, a few bug fixes and a pokemon chain breeding search. Here is the url:

https://www.pokemonfanuniverse.com/pokedex/

There is a shorter version of the url that you can use if you do not like that one:

https://www.pokedex.net/

To use the chain breeding search, go to an entry, then click on a move, scroll down and then click on "breeding chains." How do you guys like the update?

Edit: You might also want to restrict the pokedex to the family of games that you want the search to use, which would either be GSC or RS/FrLg.

Last edited:

Savage X

dclxvi
    Years
    Wow, great job man. (on it in general) I'm sure that took a lot of work and time. I don't really have any suggestions. And your new features are sweet.

A major turn on is the http://pokedex.net domain, because it's something like "Hey, does anyone know of a Pokedex I can use?" "Oh yeah man, just go to www.pokedex.net !" and I'm sure that will improve your SEO and be great for Google searches. Surprised it wasn't taken.

Nice job!

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
    Thanks. I registered pokedex.net a long time ago. I mentioned it to people, but they never seemed to remember it. Hopefully that will change as time passes.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Dropdown menus are where it's at dude, that table is completely inefficient. Loading time is slow...

Plus you need the D/P pokemon now to stay competitive.

Haven't seen you around much since '03 SA~

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
    Dropdown menus are where it's at dude, that table is completely inefficient. Loading time is slow...

Plus you need the D/P pokemon now to stay competitive.

Haven't seen you around much since '03 SA~

Drop down menus? I do not quite follow what you mean. Exactly what do you want to accomplish that cannot be accomplished by using the two menus below the pokemon's name and on the side of the page?

As for the Diamond/Pearl Pokemon, I think I will wait until the in-game additions to the egg groups, move lists and natures are known before I add them. One of Pokedex 2.0's greatest strengths is that it is easily extensible, such that once the information in those three groups is known, all of the other information necessary for a Diamond and Pearl pokedex can be easily appended, so I will not need to strain myself like I did when I added Ruby and Sapphire data to Pokedex 1.3. :)

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
    Years
    Wow, great job man. (on it in general) I'm sure that took a lot of work and time. I don't really have any suggestions. And your new features are sweet.

A major turn on is the http://pokedex.net domain, because it's something like "Hey, does anyone know of a Pokedex I can use?" "Oh yeah man, just go to www.pokedex.net !" and I'm sure that will improve your SEO and be great for Google searches. Surprised it wasn't taken.

Nice job!

Ditto, about the Pokedex.net bit great job. ;) Looks very good, if you got all of this written in a couple of days you are a Pokemon master. Great job keep up the good work.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
    Ditto, about the Pokedex.net bit great job. ;) Looks very good, if you got all of this written in a couple of days you are a Pokemon master. Great job keep up the good work.

Most of it was already there. I started on it during November 2002 in the form of Pokedex 1.0, and Pokedex 1.0 made its debut in March of 2003. In August 2004 after Pokedex 1.3 was placed online some time earlier, I started working on Pokedex 2.0, and Pokedex 2.0 made its debut on New Year's day, 2005. A few months later, there was a death in my family; I lost my morale and I pretty much stopped working on it. I made some minor changes from time to time but I did nothing major. Then a few days ago, I had a morale boost (my discrete mathematics class at school inspired me to give coding another try) that led to me to rewrite the pokedex's simple search engine to be approximately 84.2% more efficient in cases of extreme mispellings.

I was so amazed that I had made a huge improvement in something that I had spent large amounts of time optimizing previously, that I decided to give writing a chain breeding search another try, as while my attempts to write a chain breeding search in the past had ended in failure (they all occurred after the death in my family), what I had done amazed me such that I thought that I could do it. So I wrote half of the search one day, I wrote the other half another day, I spent a third day optimizing it (my optimizations resulted in huge performance gains, making it feasible to put it online) and then I spent a fourth day obsessing over the details (I am a perfectionist). After I had done that, I hesitantly decided that it was ready to go online.

Anyway, that is pretty much a very condensed summary of everything that led to this point in time, which was hardly a couple of days.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Drop down menus? I do not quite follow what you mean. Exactly what do you want to accomplish that cannot be accomplished by using the two menus below the pokemon's name and on the side of the page?

As for the Diamond/Pearl Pokemon, I think I will wait until the in-game additions to the egg groups, move lists and natures are known before I add them. One of Pokedex 2.0's greatest strengths is that it is easily extensible, such that once the information in those three groups is known, all of the other information necessary for a Diamond and Pearl pokedex can be easily appended, so I will not need to strain myself like I did when I added Ruby and Sapphire data to Pokedex 1.3. :)
    Tables for choosing which Pokemon`s page you want to view? Way outdated, and way too slow.

Serebii at least had the right idea to provide a dropdown list for each region.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
    Tables for choosing which Pokemon`s page you want to view? Way outdated, and way too slow.

Serebii at least had the right idea to provide a dropdown list for each region.

Have you tried using the left sidebar and do you know what drop-down menus do for a pokedex's entries' search engine discoverability when they are properly coded?

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
    It was originally supposed to be pokeballs, but because I designed it in the winter, it got the winter background, which I never bothered changing. If it was to change to pokeballs, would that be better? I am asking because I have found that most people prefer the snowflakes.

Edit: By the way, teaching Thief to Misdreavus requires a two intermediary breeding chain. Misdreavus can breed with Castform, who can learn Thief and Castform can breed with several combinations of pokemon that would yield a breeding chain:

https://www.pokemonfanuniverse.com/pokedex/?view=search&search=chain&dexNo=351&move=168&display=3

There are no alternative two intermediary breeding chains that exist, as Castform is the only pokemon that learns Thief, can breed with Misdreavus and is in two egg groups, rather than just one. The pokedex currently does not support two intermediary breeding chains, because of two reasons, one the is fact that I never finished the code and the other is the fact that I was afraid that if I did finish the code, it would be too server load intensive.

I just had an idea that might change that though. :)

Last edited:

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    I have no idea how breeding works, so it's okay :)

As for the background, I don't like the repeating images that you have anywhere really... I think it's too distracting with the plain black text you use. If anything, use soemthing like the pokeballs on the main page but whiten them a lot.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
    Today, I uploaded an improved version of the pokedex today that made the pokedex's breeding chain search much more server resource friendly, which opens the possibility of two intermediary breeding chains.

Anyway, the pokedex does not look good with a white background and I really do not like the idea of modifying the pokeballs background, as it bears sentimental value to me. I guess I will be leaving it as it is.

Back