• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokefan's Pix

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokefan345

モードストリート? ??スター
    Years
    Pokefan's Pixel Art!

Hi! I'm just starting Pixel art, and I'm actually very good off, seeing as I started with recoloring sprites. Now I'm starting from scratch sprites! On to the art:

Manaphy Cloud Forme:
    Pokefan's Pix

Awesome, from scratch, Manaphy sprite. It's even got a new form!

Grasmeleon:
    Pokefan's Pix

1st evolution of Grasmander, the Grass starter in both my fanfic and Pokemon Amethyst, Opal, and Jasper, the games for Wii and DS(i) I hope to create.

Revamped Squirtle from Pokemon Gold:
    Pokefan's Pix

My first revamp. This reveals the big flaw in Paint(SEE POST 15!).

Last edited:

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
    Hm...

you have good concepts, but they definetly need work!

My first suggestion is to actually go back, do some revamps to practice and learn shading, then edits to learn scratching better. Jumping from recolors to full blown scratches was a big leap!

my first thought is that the pose is just a bit awkward... the anatomy makes sense, everything seems to be located right, but the manaphy cloud form (mcf) is too foward facing, while grassmelion is too sideways facing. You need to pose them more on an angle.

My next thought is that your shading makes no coherant sense! There seems to be multiple, multiple light sources on both sprites. Grassmelion looks metalic like a badge, since you just make strait line tone changes. His shading does not follow the curves of his body. It needs to be light on the top left, and then darken going down towards the bottom right. Same applys to mcf. there is no flow to the shading, it is just a fade from the center out.

You also did not outline correctly. you should rarely have two pixels together that form "clumpys" as some of us call them. These add thick spots to the outlining and make it look unprofessional. Also, the outlining's color is off. You need to have a dark tone of the body's color where the light derectly hits.

My final piece of advise is that the coloration is off in general. It seems that when you changing tones on mcf, you also changed the hue. it went from a cerulean blue to a more navy (you added a bit extra red as you got darker) I'm not positve, but it looks like you also used paint's default colors. NEVER USE THOSE COLORS! They are displeasing to the eyes, and are also scientifically proven to make cockatiels flip out! (It's true! Cody jumped off my shoulder when i uploaded you page) But really, those default colors rarely look good. To set them to a hue that's more desirable, just double click the color in the pallette to change it!

Let me reiderate. These are not horrible by any means. As a matter of fact, they are decent for a beginner. But let me stress the importance of shading, outlining, and the pose. I would definitely recommend that you do some revamps ( real revamps force you to change the shading to current styles...). Revamps will help you learn the patterns of shading, and how to recolorate. From there, depending on public approval, you could move on to edits to test you scratching skills.

Don't get discouraged though! Keep trying, because like any art, spriting takes time and practice!

Keep Spriting!

pokefan345

モードストリート? ??スター
    Years
    Thanks for the tips! About the colors, um, in my sig it says that I made it in Paint. And about the Manaphy, I wanted it to look like that because it is supposed to be serpent shaped, and also is the Cloud Forme. Multiple light sources? The whitish part, especially on the top-right, is part of Cloud Forme's natural body coloring. Also, the position of the Manaphy, it isn't facing forward. If you can see, its eyes are farther left on the face. The Grasmeleon was my first scratch sprite, so no wonder. In fact, after I finished that, I saved it as a .gif, and it made it really blotchy, which actually blended the colors more and made the claws more realistic! Crazy Paint...

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    About the colors, um, in my sig it says that I made it in Paint.

90% of the Pixel artists here use paint, it is no excuse as paint is generally better than photoshop for small scale spriting.

pokefan345

モードストリート? ??スター
    Years
    Yes, there is nothing wrong with paint. In fact, whenever I try to print from Photoshop or GIMP, it never works, but it ALWAYS prints from Paint.

mangaroll

Teh Great Mangaroll
    Years
    Manaphy looks good.

But you really should add more shading below, or the bottom right section.=p

And foxhound, I'm pretty sure ALL.=p

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Manaphy looks good.

But you really should add more shading below, or the bottom right section.=p

And foxhound, I'm pretty sure ALL.=p

I know a few of us who don't use paint. But yes, most of us do.

pokefan345

モードストリート? ??スター
    Years
    I'm going to try a revamp of a GSC Squirtle today. I'll post it here when I'm done.

tbone1094

begginer pixel artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2020
    ok im new to spirting and your sprites have good concepts but need much work in lots of ways my sprites are made from paint and they don't look how can i say, any different than photoshop ones.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I really, really hate it when newb spriters blame paint for their own shortcomings. You can make perfect revamps in paint, I dunno why you say "paints flaw"

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Pokefan's Pixel Art!
    WARNING: AWESOMENESS UP AHEAD!

Hi! I'm just starting Pixel art, and I'm actually very good off, seeing as I started with recoloring sprites. Now I'm starting from scratch sprites! On to the art:

Manaphy Cloud Forme:
    Pokefan's Pix

Awesome, from scratch, Manaphy sprite. It's even got a new form!

Okay, to start of, why is the outline all black? This is a flaw I hope you fix, and shouldn't be to hard. The sprite itself is too large, if you want it to be a Pokemon style sprrite. Sometimes the shading is awkward, but not in all places. The outline is really jagged in some spaces, and tha anatomy of the sprite is really bad. For example, the head is much large than the wavy cloudy thing. :P The sprite is mediocre, to say the least.

Grasmeleon:
    Pokefan's Pix

1st evolution of Grasmander, the Grass starter in both my fanfic and Pokemon Amethyst, Opal, and Jasper, the games for Wii and DS(i) I hope to create.

This basically has all the problems of the last sprite. The shading is horrible! The outline is all black, and the leaves are terribly placed. It's position is awkward, and the anatomy is still of.

Revamped Squirtle from Pokemon Gold:
    Pokefan's Pix

My first revamp. This reveals the big flaw in Paint.

Wait, what? I can revamp in paint, so what is this big flaw? Dont blame the program you use if the sprite you create, revamp etc. dont turn out a high standard. Why dont you get another program to sprite with if Paint is so flawed?/endrant. Anyway, I still see loads of black outlines, and I cant see any shading on the shell. Also, its right leg looks awkward.

Yeah, my comments are in the quote. I reccomend recolouring, splicing and revamping before scratching sprites ;). Oh, and I hope you improve. :D

Poke_a_Dialga!

EXAMS TESTS AND EXAMS QAQ
    Years
    i guess this is gonna to be moved...
    Manaphy Cloud Forme:
    Pokefan's Pix

it looks fine but if the outline isn't black, it'll look way better i guess...

but they are way better than my first ever scratch :P

Years
    WARNING: AWESOMENESS UP AHEAD!

Yeah... really ^_^

On a less nasty and more critical note, your work needs a LOT more work. You need a lot of work on your shading and your outlines are a tad clumpy and all black. Not exactly 'Pokemon sprite quality'. And you cannot blame Paint for your own problems. Most spriters use Paint, including myself. There are some TERRIFIC spriters who use Paint, so do not blame Paint for what you do wrong.

pokefan345

モードストリート? ??スター
    Years
    I guess I should have posted why. I was trying to revamp with the separate sprites in different windows, and that(obviously) didn't work. So I moved one sprite to the other, then the colors went all weird. And all you people criticizing my MCF for having a black border, it took me TWO HOURS to do the coloring of the sprite itself. And also, the shade of blue I have on the lightest parts of it is probably just ONE SHADE AWAY FROM WHITE! You have to have some distinction between sprite and background. I guess all you people don't use borders! What I'm saying is that the MCF on this page IS NOT THE FINAL SPRITE!(duh!)

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    What everyone was saying about the border is true. Look at any Nintendo sprite. They don't have completely black borders. I understand why you did that but it would look better with a darker shade of blue so the outline isn't necessary. And what do you mean the colors went "all weird"? I've never heard of that happening unless you put one on top of the other. If you want to improve I think listening to these people will help. They know what they're doing and aren't trying to attack you. They want to see you do better and are trying to help. So I suggest a less defensive approach because it'll help you. And finally for Grassmeleon I don't understand the pose. Not to sound mean but it looks like it's dead and stiff. The concept is there it just needs a better pose and shading. I hope you take all of our points into consideration and try to improve. Good luck.

pokefan345

モードストリート? ??スター
    Years
    sry for double post, but for you to understand the flaw in Paint, I would have to get you over to my house, fix up our old laptop and actually show you the problem. It's just impossible to explain in words. If I had to explain it in actual words, it would be as I said earlier, "the colors went all weird". If I was able to explain it in words that weren't words, it would be like this, "absjsdjfbcxjdhvsjsbfjbdehyrh!", so I think you might understand it now. Let's just put that behind.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
    Years
    sry for double post, but for you to understand the flaw in Paint, I would have to get you over to my house, fix up our old laptop and actually show you the problem. It's just impossible to explain in words. If I had to explain it in actual words, it would be as I said earlier, "the colors went all weird". If I was able to explain it in words that weren't words, it would be like this, "absjsdjfbcxjdhvsjsbfjbdehyrh!", so I think you might understand it now. Let's just put that behind.
    You just don't know how to us paint it is indexed that means i has the same pallet no matter what colours you use. Just go on to the indexed image ctrl+a ctrl+c open a new window press ctrl+v easy don't blame paint it's you! sorry if this sounds harsh but its true. Don't be cocky aswell because it causes people who work hard on there work to send comments like this!

Mystery

??????
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2009
    manaphy cloed form: wird and to front. his shade can worked on to. the shade on the head don't look the same as the shade on the body.

scratch to side and very ugly shaded there look very right lines to

revamp: what's the origanal sprite? the color is to light

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back