• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeMerge

what do you think of PokeMerge?

• LOVED IT

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • BORRRRRRING

• FANTASTIC, I WANT MORE!

• LAME! STOP WRITING

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KODAH

Supporter
Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2019
Introduction

"I can't believe I'm late!" A boy with spiked hair ran down a street with toothpaste foaming from his mouth.
He continued to run until he approached a house with an old man sweeping his porch.
"Good morning Lucas, where are you going?" the old man looked up at the boy as he began to run in place.
I woke up late for the Pokemon Gathering," Lucas wiped the paste from his mouth, "Wait a minute! you used to own the Bike Shop in Crimson Town, you should have a bike right, Mr. Thomas?"
Almost instantly after Lucas said that, a glimmer sparked in his squinted eye and he smiled. He clapped his hands as his garage began to open.
"This is the latest in transportation, with the max speed of two rapidashes, I introduce the SwiftBlazer3000," Mr.Thomas looked to not see a bike, "Holy Miltanks! Where's my bike?"
"Thank you, I'll bring it back later," Lucas rode up the road.
"How the heck did he get in and out that fast?" Mr. Thomas tilted his head watching Lucas go farther down the road.

Chapter One: My First Pokemon

Lucas rode past a sign that said, "Welcome to Rosemary, City of New Beginnings".
"Dad, I'm almost there, I hope on my journey to be the Pokemon League Champion, I'll see you again," Lucas gazed into the sky.

<FLASHBACK>

"After three whole years, your father is finally about to come home," a woman with long violet hair smiled at a much younger version of Lucas.
"I can't wait Mom, so he can teach me how to be an Elite Four just like him," Lucas sat in from of a window awaiting his dad.
Time pasted, then he saw a man riding a blue Rapidash riding towards the house. He stopped on the Rapidash as the house began to tremble and a roar was heard. He jumped of the Rapidash and bow before an enormous Pokemon.

<END OF FLASHBACK>

He shook his head as he heard a horn as an eighteen wheeler drove closer. Lucas swerved heading towards a brick wall and coincidentally the Eighteen Wheeler did too.
(IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT VISITOR MESSAGE ME, WHEN I GET TEN I'LL WRITE MORE)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Okay, first off, a small protip. If you want us to review this like we would any other story, post in the main forum, Fan Fiction and Writing, not in Writer's Lounge. Writer's Lounge is more for the discussion of writing, so it's more for saying things like "this is a preliminary before I post the real story" or "what do you think of my concept before I sit down and actually write." A lot of people get the two forums confused, so this is more of a way to explain to you what the difference is than it is an attempt to tell you to move it.

Second, I'll be very brief because I really, really don't want to dissect stories quote-by-quote anymore. Basically, you need to take your time with this. There are quite a number of problems, including:

1. Capitalization. You randomly capitalized words ("Eighteen Wheeler") or didn't capitalize them when you really should have ("rapidashes"). Remember that all proper nouns (names of specific important people, places, things, or ideas) should be capitalized, whereas all common nouns (non-important names for people, places, things, or ideas or names for them in general) don't. Likewise, if you're going to capitalize anything related to Pokémon, you need to be consistent. Don't capitalize Miltank and Rapidash elsewhere in the fic if you're not going to capitalize Rapidashes.

2. Punctuation. There's a lot that can be said here, and most of it can just be covered with a comma rules guide. Also, a lot of your sentences ended up being run-ons (three or more independent clauses jammed into one sentence). Whenever you place a comma in a sentence, try replacing it with a period first. If you get two full sentences that make sense on their own as a result, you've got at least two independent clauses. Don't stick more than two of these in a sentence at the same time, and if you stick more than one of these in a sentence, you need to treat it as a compound (as in, add in the words and, but, or, nor, for, yet, or so or use a semicolon or colon, depending on what your sentence is).

Furthermore, not every piece of dialogue needs to have a comma in it. To make this clearer, let's divide a line of dialogue into two parts: the quote and the dialogue tag. The dialogue tag is the part outside the quotes, and it must have a word in it that describes how the line is being said. If you don't have a word in it like "said," then it's not a dialogue tag. That means you'd need a period and not a comma because the sentence you're writing isn't functioning as a sort of adjective for the quote.

3. Paragraphing. Hit the enter key twice whenever you start a paragraph, not once. This is standard formatting for writing online because there's no such thing as indentations. It makes it easier for the reader to go through your work (especially if it gets longer than this), and it's just good form.

4. That flashback. Don't ever introduce a flashback with flashback tags. It's redundant. As in, if the first paragraph of your scene (or the last one of the scene before it) is written well enough, your readers should be able to figure out that they're looking at a flashback without being beaned in the head with that fact (i.e., without being told that they're reading a flashback by giant letters that spell it out). Otherwise, it feels a lot like a brick wall. It stops the flow of your story, and it feels awkward when your readers hit it.

Even then, it feels like it's unnecessary. Sure, we get a glimpse of a potential legendary and Lucas's father, but could we have just gotten the same effect if you left it out and let Lucas explain that he hadn't seen his dad in awhile? I mean, you don't really go into much description of the enormous Pokémon aside from the fact that it's enormous. Lucas doesn't even seem to react to it. He doesn't dwell on what it might be, he isn't really feeling any mysticism in it, and the flashback stops as soon as it pops up without going into much description as to what it is. It could be a Snorlax for all we know, and unless that's a really awesome Snorlax, we probably don't really need to know about this scene as much as we would if Lucas's dad encountered a legendary. The only other important happening here is showing us a glimpse of Lucas's dad, but you go on to have Lucas imply that he hasn't seen him in awhile anyway (what with his line about becoming a champion and all). So, you could just get away with leaving this flashback out entirely, and we probably wouldn't walk away with any less information we're keeping in mind.

5. Description. As I've said above, there's practically none. We get maybe one or two details about each important thing. Lucas has spiky hair. Mr. Thomas is old. The mysterious Pokémon is huge. The Rapidash that belonged to Lucas's dad is blue. This is, as far as I can tell, the only images you actually give us. Unfortunately, this really isn't enough. We can't really picture Lucas in our heads, and we certainly can't get a good view of his surroundings. Sure, we can sort of picture Mr. Thomas's house, but what kind of city are we looking at here? For example, when I first read this, I was picturing an image of Pallet Town, complete with dirt roads. That's why it struck me as odd that such a large truck was just barreling along. While you could probably drive an eighteen-wheeler (and yes, you need the hyphen in that phrase) on a dirt road, that sort of thing is more for pavements.

Of course, that's not the most important problem in terms of description. You don't really give us a good view of what the main character looks like, and you don't go into too much detail about a potentially massively important event. As a result, we can't conjure up a good mental image of Lucas himself (which is a problem because we're supposed to be thinking about him for the next however many chapters you want to write), and we've got nothing on the events surrounding the giant creature in the flashback. So, we can't even tell if it is a legendary, and more importantly, we can't tell whether or not this was happening in broad daylight in the middle of a larger city. I mean, if it happened in broad daylight, someone besides Lucas and his dad would have taken notice of the Pokémon, right? Considering the fact that buildings were shaking when this thing was coming, why was Lucas's dad the only one out there?

While I'm not asking you to describe absolutely every little detail, remember that the reader is not you. We don't know what's going through your mind, so we can't picture the characters and the world you've created until you give it to us. Try to describe what's in your head with as much detail as it would take to get us to imagine what you're trying to tell us. Is Lucas a blond? Is his city a city and not just Pallet Town? Does the mystery giant look a lot like Lugia or some other legendary? (Yes, you can tell us about the legendary, and this wouldn't be a spoiler.) Heck, what time of day is it when all of this happens? The more you tell us, the easier it is for us to imagine what's going on, and the easier it is for us to imagine what's going on, the more likely we can get into your story.

Speaking of which...

6. The story itself. Your chapter was very brief, so there's not much to say about the characterization. However, it does start off with a very anime feel. Kid wakes up late. Kid rushes off to go to X. Kid steals a bike to do so. This isn't a compliment. Basically, a lot of people think modeling the beginning of their story off the first episode is a good idea, but it's really not because as a result, we've got over ten years worth of the same beginning over and over again. You end up having to work extra hard to convince the reader that this isn't going to be just another original trainer story or other festival of clichés. Not to be mean or anything about that. I'm just saying that it happens so often it tends to be a bit of a turn-off for readers who have been reading fanfiction in this fandom for at least a year.

Beyond that, there's not much to say. You don't tell us what the Pokémon Gathering is or who his father might be. There's a brief conversation with a neighbor, a bike theft, a brief flashback (which I went into in more detail above, meaning I'm not going to repeat myself here), and two lines about the eighteen-wheeler. You don't give us much backstory except for what can be jammed into a couple of lines. You don't have Lucas emote (you know, show emotion) about his father, the flashback he's about to have, his feelings about the Gathering (except panic about being late)... he doesn't really do much. Mr. Thomas has more personality than him because he at least reacts and rambles, but Lucas himself? Not much to say.

As for the ending of the chapter, I'm not sure about it. On the one hand, it sounds like it's actually related to the plot. On the other, first off, it's not easy to turn an eighteen-wheeler, so it probably wouldn't be careening directly for Lucas. Second, it just feels like forced comedy because of how ridiculously overkill it is. As in, it's not a car that nearly hits Lucas. It's an entire flipping truck. Likewise, Lucas doesn't just veer off course and hit something close to the edge of the road. He veers into a brick wall. (And it's somehow only a few feet from the road instead of enough distance for both of them to hit the same spot? Buildings aren't normally super-close to a road, after all. Even in a city, there's at least a sidewalk. While Lucas might turn and still hit the brick wall if he's not trying to stop right then, something as cumbersome as a big rig might turn and hit the wall at an angle a few feet away from Lucas because the truck would probably be forced to take advantage of the room he's got. If the wall was right up against the road, then sure, the truck might end up clipping the wall as soon as it turned, but we're assuming it's got more room than that because of how streets are normally designed. And, yes, we're saying streets, not alleys.)

Back to the point, basically, it's like you can't make due with something that would be a bit more likely. Instead, you use something massive that people don't normally get hit by unless they're really trying, and you do it by sending them both to the same spot in the same wall. It just seems a little over-the-top, especially after you said the truck was careening for the wall coincidentally. While I can tell you're trying to make this seem a little humorous, forcing your work to be funny might give it a bit of a cheesy edge. That's why I'm saying I'm not sure about it: because while it's all right to try writing something with a humorous slant, you've got to be careful to avoid trying too hard with it.

Overall, yes. It needs a lot of work. I get the feeling you're still a bit new to fanfiction, though, so don't be too discouraged. You do have the potential to improve. After all, this is readable. It just needs polishing, and that can probably be achieved with slowing down. Sit down and take your time. Add in details. Proofread. Think your story through a bit more. By giving yourself a bit more time, you'll be able to iron out all the weak points.

KODAH

Supporter
Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2019
TO YOU SIR:

WOULD YOU PLEASE POST ALL COMMENTS ABOUT MY FAN FICTION UNDER VISITOR'S MESSAGE.

AND WOULD YOU KEEP ALL CRITICISM UNTIL THE END OF THE STORY. I UNDERSTAND THAT THE FLASH BACK WAS SHORT. I HAD MY OWN REASONS FOR HAVING THE FLASHBACK SO SHORT. IF YOU WOULD HAVE JUST HAD PATIENCE ENOUGH TO SEE THE STORY TO THE END YOU WOULD HAVE UNDERSTOOD IT A LOT MORE.

I AGREE THAT MY PUNCTUATION WAS OFF, THIS WAS A ROUGH DRAFT, IT WILL BE CORRECTED ONCE I GET THE TEN VM'S.

AND YES I AM A BEGINNER TO WRITING FAN FICTION, BUT I WRITE MY OWN BOOKS, WITH MY OWN CHARACTERS. I WOULDN'T KNOW THE BASIS OF WRITING A FAN FICTION. DO YOU WANT ME TO DO IT LIKE ONE OF MY PERSONAL STORIES? WRITE A PARAGRAPH OF DISCRIPTION. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF THE PEOPLE HERE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THE IDEA. IF SO, I WAS GOING TO TURN IT INTO MY FIRST FAN FICTION AND POSSIBLY PUT IT ON MY WEBSITE I'M WORKING ON. IF NOT, I WAS GOING TO STOP THE STORY AND CONTINUE WRITING ORIGINALLY.

NOW KIND SIR. THANKS FOR YOUR OPINION ON MY FAN FICTION, WOULD YOU VISITOR MESSAGE ME OR PRIVATE MESSAGE ME IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE COMPLAINTS BUT DO NOT POST THEM ON MY STORY'S PAGE

THANK YOU

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
First off:

capslock.jpg

Please turn the capslock off. It's actually sort of rude to keep it on because it implies you're screaming at me. (It's standard internet etiquette.)

Second, I have two X chromosomes. *motions to her postbit*

Third...

WOULD YOU PLEASE POST ALL COMMENTS ABOUT MY FAN FICTION UNDER VISITOR'S MESSAGE.

Welcome to a writing community. See, when you post to a writing community, it's actually implied and within good form to post comments directly to a story. The reason why is because as soon as you put something up, you're implying that it's actually open to discussion, and it just keeps everything in one place.

Also, you're posting in the Writer's Lounge, which is even more so our writing discussion area than the main forum. So, basically, when you posted it here, you asked for comments directly to your story, not via VM. (I'll get into what also fed this misunderstanding in a moment.)

AND WOULD YOU KEEP ALL CRITICISM UNTIL THE END OF THE STORY.

Almost every fanfiction on a writing community except one-shots aren't usually finished when they get their first comments. Because of that, it's customary for a reviewer to offer criticism as the story progresses in order to help the author improve on what they're doing. That way, the author can learn from the crit and figure out how, in future chapters, to avoid making mistakes they've made in the first one. In other words, when you post here, you're asking for crit right off the bat. That and it's actually somewhat unreasonable to ask someone to wait for the ending of the story if you plan on making a long one. Your readers will probably wander away in the time it takes you to finish, especially if there's a lot of easily avoidable errors.

I UNDERSTAND THAT THE FLASH BACK WAS SHORT. I HAD MY OWN REASONS FOR HAVING THE FLASHBACK SO SHORT.

It was a little too short. As in, it had absolutely no detail in it, and Lucas didn't actually react to it. It has nothing to do with my patience, actually. Rather, it has everything to do with the fact that you didn't detail much of anything in it, so it ends up looking out-of-the-blue and irrelevant.

To add, it's perfectly possible to write a flashback that actually has detail. In fact, a well-written flashback adds to a story to clarify things that might not be so clear in the present timeline. It (as in, individual flashback scenes) isn't really meant to be something you have to go back to over and over again because you didn't give the reader any information in it the first time around.

In other words, all too often, I see the "I tried to make it mysterious" bit, but really, there's a difference between mystery and just not telling the reader anything. You don't want to leave the reader without any mental images or clues to start figuring things out. You want to give them just a bit to get them started.

I AGREE THAT MY PUNCTUATION WAS OFF, THIS WAS A ROUGH DRAFT, IT WILL BE CORRECTED ONCE I GET THE TEN VM'S.

Get a beta reader, and don't post your rough drafts to a writing community. Rough drafts are private things. You should proofread it or go over it with a beta reader off of the writing community you intend on posting it to. In other words, don't let us see anything that isn't as good as you can get it to be. It doesn't reflect your skill level well to your audience, and that's who you're posting for.

Moreover, we shouldn't have to VM you support to tell you to fix your chapter. It's something you should just do before posting because chapters on a writing community should be a reflection of the writer's full potential. After all, the reason why you post to a writing community is to show an audience what you can do and hear feedback from them on how to get better. Therefore, you don't want to show them something you know isn't your best work or something you haven't at least proofread before you posted it.

DO YOU WANT ME TO DO IT LIKE ONE OF MY PERSONAL STORIES?

Um, yes? Why would writing fanfiction be any different on a fundamental level to writing anything else? As I've just said, when you post fanfiction -- or any kind of fanfiction -- to a writing community, you're showing us your potential as a writer. It doesn't matter if you're using canon or not. What you're showing us is your talent in developing narration, characterization, plot, all the things that every story shares, regardless of whether or not they're fanfiction.

I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF THE PEOPLE HERE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THE IDEA.

You could have just said that to begin with. As it stands, you didn't really say anything at all except "VM ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE," which doesn't really tell us whether or not you're just asking about the idea. (Furthermore, if you were asking us about opinions concerning the concept, you'd, you know, tell us what the concept actually was instead of posting a first chapter as if this was your fanfiction thread and not an idea thread. That and you'd actually ask us what we thought instead of asking us to VM you if we wanted the next chapter.)

In other words, not to be biting, but it's not really my fault I misunderstood if all you said was to VM you if we wanted to see what happens next. There's no questions about whether or not the concept would work, and there's no indication that it's just a rough draft.

NOW KIND SIR. THANKS FOR YOUR OPINION ON MY FAN FICTION, WOULD YOU VISITOR MESSAGE ME OR PRIVATE MESSAGE ME IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE COMPLAINTS BUT DO NOT POST THEM ON MY STORY'S PAGE

I've got just one request: pay attention to the threads in this community. Notice how people offer each other reviews in the main forum or make it fairly clear what they're asking for in Writer's Lounge? If you want to participate in this community, you're going to have to learn how communication works in it.

And stop it with the capslock.

Last edited:

Professor PGX

4th Year Professor
Years
While I agree with a lot of your punctuation error parts, A lot of what you're doing is nitpicking. For instance look at the title. Clearly that isn't the end of chapter one its more like a preview.
2nd a flashback reflects what a character remembers about said event. So maybe just maybe, Lucas only remembers his Dad being around cause thats who he was focusing on.
3rd again you are nitpicking every little thing. Its a miracle you didn't try to bash him for using the name Lucas because it came from Mother 3. You complain about the formula, the description (which is understandable), the punctuation (again understandable), and even his comedic elements. Which leads me to ask: Did you read the story for enjoyment, or for the sole purpose of belittling his talent and criticism? It is a fan fiction! FAN FICTION! say it with me FAN FICTION! That means you have to follow a certain formula so it doesn't seem to out of the way from the original source. Pokemon started off similar to this in every season. What if He'd have start it off with two unknown pokemon ripping apart the planet? Would seem more DBZ than Pokemon, huh? Okay then! Just let the dude finish at least one chapter before you try to butcher him, Or you'll call for me to write one of my masterpieces that I dare you to try to find flaws in minus maybe a few punctuations or minor spelling errors! Now shut up and let us enjoy the story. Thank you

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Mod note:

The next flame tossed out there gets this thread closed. Cool your tempers down and respect one another.

This is your warning for everyone.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
While I agree with a lot of your punctuation error parts, A lot of what you're doing is nitpicking.

Actually, no. Everything I've pointed out are writing basics. You need to proofread your work before posting to make it easier for your audience to read what you're trying to say. First off, it avoids implying that you're not putting as much effort into it as you possibly can (at least, if you make easily avoidable errors or show any inconsistency -- like the Rapidash/rapidashes bit). Second, the fewer errors you have in your writing, the less likely your readers are actually going to stumble on them.

That and it's just good form. I mean, if you're posting to a writing community, it's assumed you're actually going to take writing somewhat seriously because you're among authors who actually take the time to proofread before posting.

For instance look at the title. Clearly that isn't the end of chapter one its more like a preview.

What? "PokeMerge"? "My First Pokemon"? Sure, there's no Pokémon here, but even so, that doesn't necessarily indicate that it's just a preview. It could simply be a very short first chapter that's meant to emulate the first episode of the anime. Alternatively, the "Pokemon" could be in reference to his first sighting of something that could potentially mean that he's destined to do something with Pokémon -- like the legendary in his flashback. (Yes, this has happened in fanfiction before, hence why I say it's not enough of an indicator that the chapter's unfinished.)

2nd a flashback reflects what a character remembers about said event.

Yes. It adds information to a story. It doesn't just exist for the sake of giving the character a mysterious background. If you wanted to do that, you'd just say briefly in the present storyline that he recalled seeing a strange Pokémon or do something similar to show us he has a mysterious background instead of shoehorning in an abruptly delivered flashback that gives us practically nothing to work with in terms of visualization or trying to figure out what's going on.

So maybe just maybe, Lucas only remembers his Dad being around cause thats who he was focusing on.

I'd hate to say it, but you're actually missing the point of what I was trying to say. First off, I was saying there was no detail in the flashback. As in, literally no detail. Second, Lucas could have noticed what the Pokémon looked like other than the fact that it was enormous, especially if he can make out the details of his father and the Rapidash (and especially if he can feel his house shake when it comes near). Even if it was just a silhouette, he might have caught at least the shape of it to give us a hint as to what he's looking at. It's sort of difficult to look at a silhouette of a bird and remember it as just some animal, after all.

Third, he's in a city. Unless he happened to be conveniently knocked out at the time, he'd probably notice other people. If you focus on something, that doesn't mean you can't see anything other than that person.

In other words, he might have been focused on his father. However, that shouldn't mean he didn't notice anything about the Pokémon he saw other than its size, and it shouldn't mean he can't remember possible ensuing panic surrounding it.

3rd again you are nitpicking every little thing.

First off, I didn't actually point out every little thing. If I did that, you'd see a quoted review where I'd take this thing line by line and quote all of the errors.

Second, yes, because I'm a reviewer. Reviewers are here to tell you everything about what they thought concerning your story so that you might actually improve as a writer. If I don't tell you all the areas I thought was weak, KODAH would have nothing to work with in order to create a better story.

Its a miracle you didn't try to bash him for using the name Lucas because it came from Mother 3.

Or Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. I didn't because that's trivial. I only pointed out what I thought was important to pay attention to.

You complain about the formula, the description (which is understandable), the punctuation (again understandable), and even his comedic elements.

If it's understandable, why are you complaining about what I pointed out? As I've said, a reviewer tells the author what they thought of the story in order to help him develop as a writer. If I didn't point out the parts you're saying are understandable, how is he going to know what parts of his writing he should work on?

Which leads me to ask: Did you read the story for enjoyment, or for the sole purpose of belittling his talent and criticism?

I'm not trying to belittle anyone. My job as a reviewer is to tell you exactly what I thought in order to help you improve. Because this was also posted in Writer's Lounge, he was asking for feedback. So, I sat down and wrote up a review -- which of course took some of my precious time that I could have been devoting to something else -- with the intent on helping him. Notice how I not only tell him his weak points but also offer him suggestions on how to improve and why to avoid those kinds of errors? If I wanted to belittle him, I'd just tell him he sucks and move on, but that's definitely not what I'm doing.

It is a fan fiction! FAN FICTION! say it with me FAN FICTION! That means you have to follow a certain formula so it doesn't seem to out of the way from the original source.

*smack* No biscuit.

Yes, it's fanfiction. No, that doesn't mean you have to follow the same formula over and over again. Fanfiction only means you have a set canon to use. As in, you have characters, laws of science, settings, key concepts, all that fun stuff. It's your job as a fanfiction writer to do something with all those basic elements to create a new and interesting story. That doesn't mean that you have to have a cookie-cutter story. It means that you have to have a sense of creativity to avoid presenting an audience with something that would be cookie-cutter, even in the beginning. (Or, rather, especially in the beginning because you're trying to hook as many readers as possible. Starting off with a cliché, as I've said before, is actually a turn-off for many people who have been working with fanfiction in this fandom for awhile.)

In general, it's perfectly possible to create a new and different story that doesn't even touch the same plot everyone else uses or even the same plot elements. *motions to her sig for an example... or, heck, TRINITY by Shrike Flamestar or Trials of Juno by Neo Pikachu* Fanfiction just means you have to work in the same universe, not the same formula.

Pokemon started off similar to this in every season.

Uh... no, it didn't. It only started off this way in the first season. In the second, Ash traveled by blimp to the regional professor. In the third season, he wasn't late there, either. He just left his Pokémon behind and casually went to Johto.

In the Hoenn arc, May wasn't late. She was on a bike, but she was actually on time. The only problem was that Birch just happened to be out of the lab at that point.

In Sinnoh, Dawn wasn't exactly late, either. She just got lost and eventually met with the professor on the way there (and had to be led to the lab).

So, yeah, to sum it up, you'll probably want to rewatch the first episodes of each arc. The entire running late thing only happened once. Even more significantly, it only happened in one canon. The various manga and the games don't follow this form, either.

What if He'd have start it off with two unknown pokemon ripping apart the planet?

It's been done, but even then, that would require a bit more creativity than the whole running late thing. The running late element has been done in a ton of trainer fics, as I've said, and it's also pretty specific. When you see a new trainer bolting across town and screaming that they're late, it usually means they're late to get their first Pokémon. When you see two Pokémon duke it out, it could mean there's a war, there's a global catastrophe happening at that very moment that might mean a post-apocalyptic setting in the next chapter, there's a prophecy involved, or hundreds of other different possibilities. It doesn't just mean two Pokémon are fighting.

Just let the dude finish at least one chapter before you try to butcher him,

If he meant it as a preview, he'd say that it's a preview in the first place. As it stands, all he's done is post a short bit in Writer's Lounge and asked us to contact him if we wanted more. That mirrors the practice a lot of other authors do (especially on other writing communities) where they ask people to leave feedback if they want the next chapter.

Or you'll call for me to write one of my masterpieces that I dare you to try to find flaws in minus maybe a few punctuations or minor spelling errors!

So what's stopping you?

In general, yeah. I've been into fanfiction for awhile, and I've been deeply involved in this community for a couple of years now. I know how it works, and I'm not here to be a *****. So, I probably know a few tips and tricks about how to get a fic to work and how a writing community generally goes. So please don't tell me to shut up.

Last edited:

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2010
While I agree with a lot of your punctuation error parts, A lot of what you're doing is nitpicking. For instance look at the title. Clearly that isn't the end of chapter one its more like a preview.
2nd a flashback reflects what a character remembers about said event. So maybe just maybe, Lucas only remembers his Dad being around cause thats who he was focusing on.
3rd again you are nitpicking every little thing. Its a miracle you didn't try to bash him for using the name Lucas because it came from Mother 3. You complain about the formula, the description (which is understandable), the punctuation (again understandable), and even his comedic elements. Which leads me to ask: Did you read the story for enjoyment, or for the sole purpose of belittling his talent and criticism? It is a fan fiction! FAN FICTION! say it with me FAN FICTION! That means you have to follow a certain formula so it doesn't seem to out of the way from the original source. Pokemon started off similar to this in every season. What if He'd have start it off with two unknown pokemon ripping apart the planet? Would seem more DBZ than Pokemon, huh? Okay then! Just let the dude finish at least one chapter before you try to butcher him, Or you'll call for me to write one of my masterpieces that I dare you to try to find flaws in minus maybe a few punctuations or minor spelling errors! Now shut up and let us enjoy the story. Thank you

It's quite a coincidence this was your first post on the entire forum...

That seems little wierd to me? Like you'd post on a fanfic without even introducing yourself in the introductions section.

I hope the author didn't make a second account to comment on his own fan-fic, beacuse that's kind of against the rules.

Anyway, a note to the author, if that wasn't him.

JX Valentine made a lot of valid points which I agree with, so I won't repeat them, I'll just tell you the bare bones of my advice.

You're writing method is very abrupt and brief. There's barely any description or scene setting, and telling us you're doing a flackback with flashback tags is very...unsubtle.

You're writing style seems very rushed.
I think more attention to detail is needed.

Also, the author of this post has only made three posts on this forum and they've all been on this thread. Didn't you feel like introducing yourself to PC?

Anyway, why not try picking up your favourite book and look at the writing techniques used in that book, then you'll be able to get a good idea of how to write your fan fic.

Last edited:

KODAH

Supporter
Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2019
I just landed my 15th keep writing this story.

so now you can criticize because now i'm gonna put a little effort in it.

to people who voted to keep the story rolling, it was just a rag tag idea so its gonna take a little while but i'll post it by chapters. hopefully one chapter per week but i have my own books that i have to finish for Neale Hurston the publisher.

Professor PGX

4th Year Professor
Years
All I'm saying is this: I've known KODAH for years and the guy writes better stuff, so yes his punctuation sucked on this one, and his detail was no existent, but at the end of the day it was a nice little preview.

I agree with all your points on grammatical errors, but the story is still nice. Its like when a kid tries to tell you what happened somewhere. Are you going to nitpick his story, or hear him out so you can know what happened.

Again this was clearly rushed and at sometimes embarrassing, but I've seen the actual story typed up and edit out errors myself. The story is good, I just wish he would have copy and pasted instead. That way you get more detail, because this was sorely lacking.

So All I'm saying is the story is decent. And just for the record, when I said all pokemon started similar consider this: minus johto everytime a new batch of pokemon came, it was a young girl trainer who just so happen to meet Ash and the Professor around the same time.

I Apologize for my temper earlier, but just try to read it and ignore the flaws. Must be something you like about it if you're mad about the lack of details, right???

KODAH

Supporter
Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2019
why are y'all still discussin a rough draft. i see if i spent as much time on it as i spent on one of my recent about to be published books but i didnt. i give that little bit 15 to 30 minutes of though.

so now since thats cleared up. stop arguing fan fiction authors and fiction author.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
All I'm saying is this: I've known KODAH for years and the guy writes better stuff, so yes his punctuation sucked on this one, and his detail was no existent, but at the end of the day it was a nice little preview.

Um, not really. If he wanted to write a preview, he'd probably want to try getting more experienced readers into the story by proofreading and putting up a sample of how he writes at his full potential. While I'm not sure who the fifteen interested readers (aside from that one-liner VM he got and you) were, in this kind of community, not everyone's impressed by clichéd concepts and a lack of care in the grammatical department.

As a published author, you surely understand that when submitting a sample of your work to a literary agent or potential publisher, you can't just submit something that isn't finished (proofread, with as much attention to detail as you can muster). No one's going to want to pick you up if you do that. It's the same concept here. You have to put forth your best effort, even if it's for just a bunch of kids on a Pokémon forum. The writing community is your circle of critics, and if you want to get them interested in your story, you need to make sure that piece reflects how you normally write.

This goes especially for someone who's never posted in the community prior to that preview, which is what KODAH is doing. We're not familiar with his writing (on or offline), so he needs to advertise to us that he's an awesome writer and that he can do better than this. The only way he can do that is by sitting down and doing everything he can to make this a sample of how he usually writes.

I agree with all your points on grammatical errors, but the story is still nice. Its like when a kid tries to tell you what happened somewhere.

He's writing in third person omniscient perspective. (You can see this in the fact that it's not any particular character who's narrating, and whoever's doing it can peer into Lucas's mind to know he's having a flashback.) As a result, his narrator can't have that "kid who's telling a story" tone. In other words, you do need detail, and you need to deliver the story as well as you can get it. Right now, there's very little detail, and the first chapter is full of clichés and over-the-top drama. So, it's hard to take it seriously, and it's hard to get into it because he didn't give us much to work with.

Of course I'll hear him out, but my point is that this chapter leaves a lot to be desired. He'll need to polish it up in order to hook readers, which is what a first chapter is meant to do. How do you expect readers to stick around if the first chapter is a bare-bones concept?

Again this was clearly rushed and at sometimes embarrassing, but I've seen the actual story typed up and edit out errors myself.

That's nice, but again, the review is a comment on the first chapter. That's how reviews on an online community work: a reviewer sits down and tells the author how the story is up until this point. Considering KODAH gave us a first chapter, I told him about the weak points that he'll want to improve upon in order to give the readers more to grasp.

Also, didn't KODAH just say that this is only a rag-tag idea? How could you have proofread the story if this was only a concept? Furthermore, if you proofread it and if you already know about the punctuation errors, why weren't they fixed before he posted it so he could properly advertise his story?

So All I'm saying is the story is decent.

That's nice, but it doesn't mean much to me if I'm not presented with it. An audience knows nothing about an author or what he's done with his story except for what they see online. You can tell me to wait all you want, but the truth of the matter is that a reviewer online is meant to tell you exactly what they thought of what they're given. As in, if your story contains plot holes due to a lack of detail that could easily be added into the story, your audience has every right to comment on it. Likewise, if a better chapter exists, then your audience has every right to comment on what you have posted until you go and post the better chapter. It's how writing communities just work.

Look, I'm not sure why you're here if you can't handle a negative comment to your friend's fic once in awhile. The simple truth is that a writing community is an open invitation. As soon as you post, unless you explicitly state that you don't want comments (as in, lay it down in plain English at the very beginning), you're asking for just anyone's opinion. The reason why is because that post reply button is there. If you didn't want opinions, you'd keep your story private, after all, because you wouldn't have a reason to post. As in, if you didn't want comments, then that says that you didn't want to share your story because you don't want to hear what others have to say about it. So, when you post in a public forum, that means you automatically are asking complete strangers what they thought. Ergo, I have every right to come in here and tell KODAH exactly what I think of his story because, well, that's what this community is for.

On top of that, he was looking for criticism, and not all crit is one-liner praise to tell him to keep writing. My crit wasn't telling him to stop writing, either, but it was telling him that I wasn't particularly impressed with his preview but that I could be if he tried X, Y, and Z. Now, you're here to tell me not to do my job because KODAH's an awesome writer? Sorry, but KODAH's going to have to prove that to me himself, and because there's no note in the first post that told me I shouldn't comment on his work, I had every right to tell him exactly what I thought of his writing, regardless of whether or not he could be better. If he wanted me to think he could write better, he should have done so in the first place, and neither of you should tell me that I'm being impatient when you don't give me anything to indicate that I'm wrong here.

And just for the record, when I said all pokemon started similar consider this: minus johto everytime a new batch of pokemon came, it was a young girl trainer who just so happen to meet Ash and the Professor around the same time.

...Um, and? So the trainer's a female. That doesn't mean it's the same story over and over again. May came by herself and happened across Ash because Birch brought her along to help save Pikachu from killing itself. Birch was present whenever the two of them met. Dawn had to be led to the lab by Professor Rowan, and she didn't actually meet Ash until a few episodes later, when she actually went out looking for him. Rowan wasn't present when the two of them met. The gender of the trainer has nothing to do with whether or not it's cliché because we're still talking about non-specifics there; the introduction of both trainers have little in common with each other past what gender they were. However, having a trainer who's rushing to get his first Pokémon because he's late is a cliché because it's pretty specific.

I Apologize for my temper earlier, but just try to read it and ignore the flaws.

To quote Simon Cowell, "Kids turn up unrehearsed, wearing the wrong clothes, singing out of tune and you can either say, 'Good job,' and patronize them or tell them the truth, and sometimes the truth is perceived as mean."

Same concept with fanfiction and reviewers. In other words, my entire job as a reviewer on a writing community isn't to ignore the flaws in his work and patronize him by constantly patting him on the back. It's to tell him the truth, and the truth sometimes involves finding his flaws and presenting them to him. Every writer has the potential to get better. If this weren't true, we'd have no writers in this fandom because everyone sucks when they start out. However, that doesn't mean I'm supposed to sit here and tell him he's doing a good job because if everyone did that, then we'd have no good writers in this fandom. Instead, it's to tell him what I thought of what he did here so that he might take it with him later on.

Simply put, I wasn't particularly impressed with it, but it's my job as a reviewer to tell him this because it's what a reviewer is supposed to do for a writer and because, otherwise, he might not get along well at this forum. Just look at how people review fics in the main part of Fan Fiction and Writing. It's not always happy support.

Edit @ the ninja: Sorry about that, KODAH. The point is I'm sure you can do better, but next time, you'll want to really show us what you can do, even if it's still a preview. We don't know you, and a preview is meant to advertise your skills to us anyway.

Last edited:

KODAH

Supporter
Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2019
i got my 15 post on pm so i'll give you my 25 percent and possibly takes some stuff from the poke merge story that i already did.

(PGX, YOU READ THE ONE I MADE A YEAR AGO)

I might not even post it up here, so many cry babies. (sorry if i broke a rule) i'll go read them.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I might not even post it up here, so many cry babies. (sorry if i broke a rule) i'll go read them.
And my mod note was ignored, so the thread is closed.

Next time, read the rules before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back