• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon 3D - The Future Revealed

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
    ^Thanks, saved me the trouble of writing down a somewhat similar post. I couldn't have done it better.

We arent against "improvement", but rather pointing out 3D does not simply equal "newer/better".
    3d is like an alternative, which can have pros, as much as cons.

Look at the pokemon designs themself for example. They all have a certain inherent simplicity to them that doesnt require highly detailed 3d graphics in the first place, which is why all the spin-offs that do employ 3d models make them look so plain.

Last edited:

KyokuseiXRyusei

DenCabe! :3
    Years
    I somewhat doubt this. I do prefer 3D models (for both Pokemon/characters) but Nintendo is selling a lot more Nintendo DS/Nintendo DSI systems than Nintendo 3DS systems. Unless they're adding this feature to main-stream games that can be played on DS/DSI they might not go on too much with this.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2017
    You may want to read this Gamasutra interview with Director Masuda, then.
    It's not that fans want the series to "stay in the past" (granted, there are some who are like this, but ignoring them), but that translating stylized 2D sprites into 3D while retaining its similar appearance is not an easy task. Also, Masuda values the simplicity and wide-reaching demographic of Pokemon above unnecessary complexity, and as he states in the interview, 3D is more complex than 2D and is not necessarily better.

Instead of saying that we need 3D graphics to "improve the game," we should look to more gameplay- and narrative-related matters to want to improve. 3D does not necessarily mean better--and I don't see how making the change from 2D to 3D will be that big of an improvement. It will look different. That's not a "good bold idea." If anything, it's just copying other mainstream games that are all trying to go for the "perfect 3D look" instead of focusing on delivering a powerful narrative through gameplay.

If we get 3D main series games, alright then. I won't complain. But I would like for there to be a reason for it. Honestly, Pokemon does not need to worry about its graphics. It needs to continue on the path BW began and continue to improve its storytelling and connectivity features. Sure, the graphics aren't the greatest thing ever, but it's the last thing Game Freak needs to worry about.

And who says that Gamefreak hasn't improved the story line and features a lot? I think Black and White is better than Ruby and Sapphire.
    Now tell me if these word didn't escape your lips as you started playing Black/White :
    WOW

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Sprites forever doesn't mean that they'll always keep the charm either; why are so many people against 3D models anyway?(I'm not talking about GF's reasoning behind them, I'm talking about everyone saying that Pokemon would lose it's charm and be ruined and all that talk)

I'm by no means saying that they are 'better' but it would be nice to see a change like that at least one time for an actual core game. I love the sprites for the main games as well but I also loved the likes of Colosseum/XD and have been hoping that this would be a chance to see a core game like that for once.

They can go back to sprites and keep it that way until the end of time for all I care, I'm one of those people waiting for at least one game that looks similiar to/better than Colo/XD but with the overworld expanded to the depths of core games.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2017
    Sprites forever doesn't mean that they'll always keep the charm either; why are so many people against 3D models anyway?(I'm not talking about GF's reasoning behind them, I'm talking about everyone saying that Pokemon would lose it's charm and be ruined and all that talk)

I'm by no means saying that they are 'better' but it would be nice to see a change like that at least one time for an actual core game. I love the sprites for the main games as well but I also loved the likes of Colosseum/XD and have been hoping that this would be a chance to see a core game like that for once.

They can go back to sprites and keep it that way until the end of time for all I care, I'm one of those people waiting for at least one game that looks similiar to/better than Colo/XD but with the overworld expanded to the depths of core games.

Exactly!! Give 3D models a chance and if they don't pull through, Gamefreak will probably throw away the idea.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
    The 3D Pokedex looks AMAZING, I for one hope they decide to eventually make the graphics that good. Lilligant especially looks amazing. :D

I always wondered why they stuck to the older sprites from the 90s myself, but figured it was a budget issue. Now that Pokemon is popular and successful, I wonder why they never uped the ante?

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
    IMO 3d models would make pokemon look more outdated than further improving sprite art.

It's hard to explain but
    already the simple fact that these are turn-based games, makes battles with 3d models feel....not very exciting xD
    Which is exactly the reason spin-offs like Pokepark use real-time battles.

Yes actually, Id say the main series changing to 3d models is as realistic as the turn-based system being changed to something else.

I've been wondering... has there ever been 3D sprites?
    What I mean is, pixel art, with the pixels having a thickness and being located at a distance from the background. I really wonder how that would feel.
    Similar to this:
    Pokemon 3D - The Future Revealed

@tetrakeet:
    Sprites are not necessarily easier to make than 3d models. Neither are 3d models necessarily an overall improvement by default.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I grew up with pokemon just like most other nostalgic fans but theres one difference between me and them

I DONT LIVE IN THE PAST!!!

I literally think that b/w is better than r/b/y yup i said it
    I think more progressivly than in the past(probably because im an aquarius who are known to be progressive thinkers)

It breaks my heart when some of you all say that "i cant imagine 3d models" or " it would look so weird, i like sprites better"
    Its you all who stop gamefreak from making progressive ideas because they are afraid they would lose fans. Once you all stop fantasizing about the olden days then we would start gettin good bold ideas for pokemon

And one last thing if you are willing to stop playing pokemon forever because they start to implement new ideas like makeing 3d models

You are NOT a TRUE pokemon fan!

Love this quote. I too prefer BW to RBY.

No one is suggesting anywhere in here that 3D models automatically make something better... I can see the argument that it would make the series lose it's simplistic charm, though. But I still would like to see it tried.

I definitely agree with the last part of the quote.

Poke-roogs

Call Me Maybe
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2012
    3d... wouldn't really work for Pokemon. Did it look good on consoles? God no. It looked terrible. Pokemon has an anime-esque aesthetic, and as we've seen with the console games, that doesn't translate well into the 3rd dimension. (I realize this may just be my opinion, but seriously, I don't see how anyone could say those graphics looked good. Even back in 2004, it looked terrible.)

I'd rather they improve on the sprite based animation. Make attacks look more dynamic in battle, give the sprites more pixels, keep up the stellar gameplay.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2014
    I am all for a new flavour of graphics! I was extremely impressed with how smooth and fluent the models looked for Pokedex 3D. I immediately thought, "If they could do this on the 3DS already, why not put it on to a new game?". The only problem I could think of would be getting all the models onto a single game cartridge since I am completely unaware of the amount of memory they are capable of. Even so, a new "main" game for the Wii wouldn't be bad either, although I would prefer a portable 3D game :) Pokemon is the best game ever (in my opinion). A graphics alteration wouldn't hurt the spirit of the franchise, and in fact, may make it feel brand new! I think GameFreak and Nintendo should give it a shot! :D

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2017
    Definitely! 3D will rock the Pokemon world instead of those boring sprites and who said that the graphics will be the same as 2004???

3D models would make Pokemon look outdated?! Now that's just absurd nonsense. If Gamefreak keeps sprites then it will be outdated.
    How can trying something new make it look outdated?

Last edited:

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
    How does that change anything?

I said 3d models look old (especially on 3DS). Not comparing their age to sprites.
    Being newer than sprites doesn't relate to how old 3d models look.

Hence neither looks new. Hence changing to 3d would not make it look groundbreaking. It would just look 3d instead of sprites. For the sake of it? I doubt it.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    How does that change anything?

I said 3d models look old (especially on 3DS). Not comparing their age to sprites.
    Being newer than sprites doesn't relate to how old 3d models look.

Hence neither looks new. Hence changing to 3d would not make it look groundbreaking. It would just look 3d instead of sprites. For the sake of it? I doubt it.

I'd dislike it if the battles, at the least(rest is fine), remained like they are at the moment, as I personally find BW/B2W2's back sprites extremely ugly. Would rather they just returned to something like HGSS(and more still) if they can't smooth out that problem(no pun intended).

It's also not about looking groundbreaking, it's just something that, believe it or not, peaks some fans' interests(read below to get what I mean here) and would be nice if given a chance at least once.

Gamefreak could probably deliver with any style, but if it turns out they aren't as popular, then by all means take it away; just give it a chance is what some of us are saying. It also seems they are just more familiar with and love how sprites allow for more expression; that does not necessarily mean they wouldn't try something new though.

I doubt they would do a full 3D world right away anyway. Kind of picture the first step as more of a top-down view(what we are familiar with) but with the usual updated graphics(might see a good jump here) and free movement(personally dislike going in just 4 directions still).

3d... wouldn't really work for Pokemon. Did it look good on consoles? God no. It looked terrible. Pokemon has an anime-esque aesthetic, and as we've seen with the console games, that doesn't translate well into the 3rd dimension. (I realize this may just be my opinion, but seriously, I don't see how anyone could say those graphics looked good. Even back in 2004, it looked terrible.)

That is definitely your opinion. I was a HUGE fan of Colosseum/XD and was wondering when they would give it a go at having something like that, but as a true core game.

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
    Years
    Oh mah gawd I can see it now.
    Getting 6 AR card to battle your Pokemon into reality against a friend.
    It'll be like the Grim Adventures of Billie and Mandy episode where Grim makes the "Pokemon"cards go to life, only without the chaos.

I don't care if they stick to sprites in the actual game; but I really really want them to implement AR cards some time.

However I am leaning towards them keeping sprites in the actual game, as I like them too. I just wish that they changed some of the Pokemon poses (Charizard's neck looks very awkward to me...) and added animations when they attack.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    AR card battles would only ever be a side addon (or you can have mock ones via the 3DS Pokedex/etc) - that'd be hard to implement and rather restrictive too.

Wouldn't be surprised if they go to 3D models over sprites for the 3DS though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2013
    Yo pokemon did pretty big jump with the 3D ish battle with sprites, but the animations B&W(2?) look very rough with the "3D" it feels kind of horrible, like SS/HG had flat 2D battle, which is smooth and everything expected from a game, but the new battle graphs... meh.... I'm waiting till they make a pokemon game with 3D models and ANIMATIONS, how ever it would be awesome if they animated every 2D sprite for dif attacks.

Back