• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Age

Years
    Ok looking to the future, do you ever think Nintendo would consider implementing 'age' into the game, your Pokemon's age of course. Or is this too 'extreme' for want of a better phrase? Meaning heaven forbid your Pokemon may pass away, something obviously not really appropriate for a childrens game.

Though it's unlikely to ever happen, it could potentially add another twist to strategy for battling, and picking the best Pokemon at the right time. For example, a race horse will only be able to perform at it's optimum level for a certain amount of years before old age slows it down. Perhaps this could be implemented into the game? For example, once the Pokemon starts its decline because it's getting old, perhaps it's stats could steadily decline? It's obviously going to get slower once it's past it's prime, so it's speed stat may be affected.

Like I said, it's never gonna happen, but do you think it would be an interesting twist into strategy? Or would the emotional attachment some people get with their Pokemon (yes I know its only a game, but it happens) be too much to cope with once they passed on?

subaku

Edging the border of ruin...
    Years
    Personally I think that would be an interesting turn of events. Like you said it probably will never be implemented but it's an exciting concept just the same. I like thinking up things like that too. Things I know will never actually be put in the game but it's fun to think up.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Okay so you spend months getting that perfect competitive pokémon and it dies of age because you can't find your game, how peachy. ;P Jokes aside, it would be interesting. Though yet another addition to the aspect of competitive battling? I think it'd start to overload us. ;o And they can't really make the pokémon age without dying as then they get into another whole mess, kinda... I don't know. Having a partner "die" isn't helping the moral of kids as they journey through life. Pokémon is a game of escape for some people, coming home to see it dead or dampered by old age... Well... Wouldn't be very relaxing and fun now would it. XD; And could lose the bond of many if this were to happen.

It would cause quite a rift in the way the game is competitively played and traded too. Now we'd all be longing for one month age! Instead of the overall value out there. =/ Interesting idea, but I strongly doubt it'll happen. Would be cool to see though. XD;

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    It's interesting, but I don't think it would be a very good idea. You would train and train your Pokemon, only to have it pass away :3

Pokemon would have to change it's slogan from "Gotta Catch 'Em All" to "Gotta Catch 'Em All... Over, and Over Again" xD

Anyway, I think this quite often while I'm playing my games. But implementing an age factor would create another flaw; Baby Pokemon. Would they just automatically evolve? What if I wanted to keep my baby Pokemon? Sure, I could press B when it started evolving, but it couldn't be a baby forever. It would eventually grow older and older.

Years
    Thanks for the comments guys, like I said, it will never be implemented, but out of sheer boredom I just came up with this concept.

I think because of the emotional attachment some people get with their Pokemon, younger people especially would find it hard to deal with if their Pokemon passed away, as odd as it may sound. It happens. I mean I have a connection to the Pokemon I like to battle with. Without them I'd be nothing, so having to lose them would be a blow. Not in the way of losing a real pet obviously, but still annoying rather than upsetting.

Ash&pikachuarethebest

Houndoom trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2014
    No this is a bad idea I mean I spend alot of time EV training my pokemon for it to decrease it's stats and then die whats the point in that I would lose respect for the game and Nintendo.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    There's a lot of... concept, that would be lost by adding age to Pokemon. Plus, it seems rather odd, I think most Pokemon live at least a few years, and I don't think anyone would spend whole years of game time playing, so adding it would simply be a great inconsistency anyway.

Supposing they did add age to Pokemon, I'd find it dramatically different at best... mainly from watching my battlers come and go while the girl I make walk endless miles doesn't age at all herself.

RenzokukenofCerberus

The Heart Break Kid
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen May 3, 2009
    It makes sense, especially since ever since the first generation there was a Pokemon Tower in Lavander Town for dead Pokemon.

I never understood why they would have a Tower for such a thing if they never expected to do something with it. I mean everyone learns that what is living dies, be it a pet, parent or grandparent...

So it would add more of a realistic aspect to a game which has gotten stale over the years. I like the idea.

Not to mention the anime has always had things have some age... like Puka was an old Pikachu who was slower but more atuned with his powers. And then there was the Gastly and Haunter that the Captain had... so obviously Ghost pokemon wouldn't be affected by age... but still... I think they should finally give Mr. Fuji and the Tower a use aside from a random training site.

Storm-DC

Dance Instructor
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    i was wondering about pokemon age as well a few times. i kinda made a formula wich i have forgotten that counted out the general expected max. age for a pokemon by calculating it's base hp stat.

RenzokukenofCerberus

The Heart Break Kid
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen May 3, 2009
    well my point is... if it's in the anime ( and if there were no anime this would have ever gotten so big in the first place) and there's a place for you to go mourn your fallen partner... why shouldn't it be implemented?

If anyone states the whole " competitive battlers would get screwed over" ... may I remind everyone that it's a damn game, not a way of life. Relax, have fun and take a chill pill.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    I think it would be a good addition to the games and would leave competitive playing to those who are REALLY committed to the game. Of course, Pokemon being a game directed toward children, I doubt this will ever be included. If ten-year-olds around the world experience the concept of death on a daily basis, then by the time someone important dies, they'll probably just brush it off, leading to a world of complete emo-ness.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Well.....

Pros
    *It would be pretty awesome.
    *It would make the game more exciting and intresting.
    *In many pokemon games there are churchs and towers.

Cons
    *It wouldn't be good to train a pokemon really hard for it to die.
    *It would sort of ruin competitive battles.

So I'd say it'd be pretty neat except maybe if they die then... If they dont die, yes!;)

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    I think age would be a really good concept........without the death part. It would be good to see pokemon rise to the full extent of their power then slowly become slower and weaker in old age, just like real life. Just like tracey's Syther xD

Storm-DC

Dance Instructor
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    yea, but it would be too much like a tamagochi... it would also be cool, realistic and exciting if pokemon would poop, but i pass on that

Back