• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon and Religion

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
Years
  • PikaRom said:
    It might work, my parents always thought some Pokemon were quite huggable, but still, even the cute Pokemon have to fight.

Ahh well, I don't know if you feel the same as I do, but I find them even cuter when they battle.. Not that I'm a saddist to want to see them hurt, but to see them fight so hard and with so much determination, it just makes me wanna cuddle those little creatures more XD

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2006
    Grant said:
    One of my friends was banned from Pokemon, and here's why: The Psychic type.

His household (like mine and myself) was of the Christian religion. However, once his parents heard that there was a Psychic type (for those who don't know, we Christians don't believe in Telekinetic abilities or anything of the mind reading/future seeing sort), they felt that it encouraged this belief in psychic powers.

Of course, I strongly disagreed, but there was nothing I, nor my friend, could do.

Yes, as a Christian, I have heard that too, to which I reply: Then go up to all the Biblical prophets and Jesus, who could see into the future, talk to God, talk to animals, resurrect people, etc and tell them they are all going to Hell for practicing occult powers -- the Pharisees & Sadducees did it to Jesus, and now Christians are doing it to their own children

Invader Pichu

Tallest Wannabe
    Years
  • Because some Christian parents are retarded. I know that sounds like a childish answer, but it really is the truth.

PikaRom

The Punk Nerd
    Years
  • Invader Pichu said:
    Because some Christian parents are retarded. I know that sounds like a childish answer, but it really is the truth.
    You give a good point, only "extremists" is probably a better term to fit the situation. Anyway, some parents are clearly taking this issue too seriously. However, most parents just see Pokemon as a harmless cartoon. Being a Christian myself, I think it's our religious matters that seem to be fueling this debate. Still though, people are stupid, like Jeremy said, and some people just want something to complain about.

"The Power of Christ compels you! Leave this poor creature!" *Throws holy water at Pikachu*
    Pikachu: "Pika?"

Dark Chidori

elite jounin
    Years
  • I know what you mean I used to be able to play and watch pokemon all the time, but then my grandmother said pokemon was pocket deamons (pocket monsters on the back of the cards). And so ever since then i've been baned from the show and the game. Coming from a christian family, naturaly my grandmother is going to get on every single show I watch, and she breathes down my back everytime I get on the computer (when she comes over). So as of now Im banned from pokemon, yugioh, used to be banned from digimon (they forgot over the years), harry potter, and ed ed and eddy (I dont even know why).

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I myself come from a religious background, but I never heard anyone affiliate the words Pokemon and Religion.

I was pokemad whan I was younger, and my parents understood that it was just a fad of sorts - something to be interested in.

The only thing they disliked about it was the blowing of money on flimsy cards - that's it.

My school banned the cards cause they probably were distacting, and posed a threat to those students who brought them to school (the cards might be stolen by other students).

Maybe parents don't want their kids to be distracted, to waste money and so on - any mention of religion as a reason is more than likely an excuse.

But in the end, parentals are just trying to protect their children, from whatever it may be. Sure it may be unreasonable (and hypocritical) to use religion as an excuse, but your parents might just not want you wasting your time and money.

Well actually, their money, hehehehe.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • true.. in fact, what you've just described matches 90% of my own situation. My primary school banned the cards, and announced it on the very first day I brought my cards to school :P

My parents don't disapprove of me watching the anime, but they really hated it when I bought the cards.. yep, they said it was a waste of money, so I had to buy them secretly when I really couldn't resist. XD

but my parents never mentioned anything religious for that matter..

Dark Chidori

elite jounin
    Years
  • Well, other than the fact that im banned from pokemon (the show) and a couple of other shows Im ok. But I know in the future I know I will be banned from other shows. Considering the fact that my grandmother thinks that the ninja turtles are evil deamons.

grandmother: turn that devilish movie off!

me 5 years old: but im just watching......

grandmother: boy you are going to go to hell i you keep watching these kind of movies! (puts oil on my forehead)

me 5 years old: *your the one who bought the tape in the first place*

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I think, sometimes, people put faith before logic and reason.

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
    Years
  • I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread yet; but, let me tell you something, people. In April of 2000, the Pope/the Vatican--in Rome, Italy--had actually given his/their official blessing to Pokemon for teaching children such valuable lessons and morals. (You can see the article here, if you guys haven't already.) You don't get much more Christian than the Pope... O_o So, I don't know why people are still being so neurotic about it...especially the particular Christian group that kept exploiting Pokemon for being the spawn of the Devil or something, lol. >_<

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • gs135790 said:
    Its not cruel, because they want to fight, your not forcing them to fight. And its not a fight to the death either, just until one of them gets too tired to continue.

Idk if this was replied to or not, but I feel I need tooooo...

There WERE some cases where the Pokemon WERE forced to fight. ~__~ Surge forced his Raichuu to evolve for fighting. And what about the first movie? They even mentioned it was a fight to the death o_O

I agree with Jorah though about putting faith before common sense and logic >>

Some Christians ARE really retarded; it kinda makes me look down on them and the whole human race itself -___- It's a CARTOOON. WHATS SO BAD ABOUT IT??? God sometimes these kinda people make me so madd..over-reacting at every little thing they see. I feel bad for the children who have to deal with these immature bags of...*sigh* ok I'll stop now *dies*

♥Naomi♥

My gameboy tastes like pickles
    Years
  • my dad is christan,and so is my dads mom,but they never say anything about it.
    O_o
    but they call it pokeMAN O_o
    my mom watched 2 of the movies with me,and buys me all sorts of pokemon games.
    she is even going to put me back into the YMCA summer program so i can trade pkmn with my freinds that are going there for summer O.o
    but in my mind,some ppl are retarded that way,banning their kids from pkmn that is.

i dont really watch the anime anymore,but i ocasonally watch the movies.

even my other grandparents try and understand pkmn!

i dont really know why pkmn are considered "desendants of satan" to some,but they are not.
    id understand harrypotter and yugioh being banned from christains children,but pokemon i do not understand why.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I read an article once typed up my some priest... explaing why Pokemon was a cult, and evil.

One of the main reasons was because it taught kids about black-magic, peganism, satanism, and so on.

Because some of the Pokemon have 'magical attacks' or 'Psychic' powers, that have to do with Black Magic. Those things apparently teach kids the ways of the devil, and show them things that are against God.

oO

Pokemon isn't against God, Pokemon IS God.

XD

~ Peace

Back