• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon and your parents

PKS

|S|E|A|R|C|H| my anti-dupe
Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2009
    As long as I get my homework done and go to bed on time, my Mom is fine with whatever I do. :)

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Oct 15, 2012
    my parents think i'm kinda dumb. but they have issues with video games in general, and lately i've cut way back, so they're fine with whatever playing i do.

badsymbiote

Lethal Protector
    Years
  • I actually am a parent, and have been a fan since my first son was a toddler. I started watching with him, and then started playing the games when he was older. I'm a dedicated fan, and don't understand or abide the notion that it's just for kids. The longevity and worldwide popularity of the TCG, characters and tv programs should be enough to dismiss the idea that it's "just a fad".

Years
  • Gee, I must be lucky. My folks actually like Pokemon.

I didn't like Pokemon 'till a year after it came out, when it wasn't as popular. All the kids'd talk about it at school, and I can remember telling one girl it's 'stupid'!
    Then I really got into it 'cos my little brother liked it. When you have a younger sibling who likes Pokemon and you don't, you tend to go all anti-Pokemon usually 'cos you get sick of seeing it. I watched one episode with my brother and I was hooked!

Castrainer

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2006
    They never show anything against, but when my mom sees me playing TCG with my Friends, I see a "=\" at her face... My parents are stupid, they think I need to grow up fast... They always come to me with those stupid Teenager talks "Did you got a girfriend?" and "Look how he is growing!"... Meh, I tyink its because when they were children, they'r parents forced to them to grow fast and do not enjoy what is nice, in this case, Pok?mon~

badsymbiote

Lethal Protector
    Years
  • Castrainer said:
    They never show anything against, but when my mom sees me playing TCG with my Friends, I see a "=\" at her face... My parents are stupid, they think I need to grow up fast... They always come to me with those stupid Teenager talks "Did you got a girfriend?" and "Look how he is growing!"... Meh, I tyink its because when they were children, they'r parents forced to them to grow fast and do not enjoy what is nice, in this case, Pok?mon~

I didn't have much of a childhood (that's probably why I'm such a big kid now). I think your point of view is wonderfully refreshing. You shouldn't be in a hurry to grow up. Adult life is long and tedious--enjoy your youth.

Guitarist-DJ

kamakaze
    Years
  • my parents think its so childish i had to tell them i dont like it anymore even though i do.lol but its not so much my mom just my dad.

NiNGi's Worst Nightmare

*sparkle sparkle*
    Years
  • My mom doesn't really care, but every time I find a Charmander figure in my room, it goes to my mom's Charmander shrine. I't a shelf dedicated to Charmander and nothing else. XD

My dad's different. He likes more than 1. He used to play Pokemon Stadium with me, and he always got the same team:

Sandslash
    Nidoqueen
    Nidoking
    Machamp
    Golem
    Graveler
    And I always chose this team just to beat him:

Golduck
    Psyduck
    Starmie
    Staryu
    Slobro
    Slopoke
    I always won because his team is Rock/Fighting and mine is Water/Psychic.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    My dad, who was in the Marines for 20 years (And who has never seen an Anime in his entire life), says it is a stupid kids' series. Then again, he said the same thing about Akira...

xDaRK_SuiKuNx

.somewhat of a devil.
    Years
  • my mom was all on this religious site, and she thinks it's evil, but i've been into it so long, she can't throw it away, she doesn't like the cards cuz of the symblos for dark and psychic, so now she thinks all pokemon stuff is evil, but she can't prove it. she didn't care until she started reading all this religious crap >_> as much as pokemon tries to teach friendship and stuff, it's impossible to be evil. [athough the whole good guys always winning ticks me off, i only like the gameboy games now and colosseum. i personally hate the show, the stuffed toys, and all pokemon related stuff that's not an rpg...]

Frostbite

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • Meh, my parents don't really care much about me liking pokemon but my friends do. They say that people who like pokemon are losers who don't have lives. They said that to me once, it offended me but I ignored it as usual.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • Well, this is a good poll/thread indeed. XD

Anyway...

At first, my parents didn't even know, until they rose early enough to see their kids sitting in front of a TV staring at all these weird colourful people with odd coloured hair and weird little monster thingies.

Soon they learnt that this was the "fad" known as Pok?mon - love it or hate it, there is no grey zone apparently. @@

And my father started seeing it as violent and destructive. But he couldn't get us to stop watching the anim?, so he banned us getting Pok?mon literature. We'd beg for it. @_@

Now they just accept it and don't mind. My mother thinks Pikachu is cute. In fact not much attention is paid to our love of Pok?mon, unless my grandmother asks for ideas of good presents for our birthdays.

Mum: Pok?mon cards, or Pok?mon [whatever version].

So yeah.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • My parents are under the school of thought that it's a children's game/show/whatever and that when their 17 year old son enjoys it, something is wrong with him... >_>

Seriously, my dad doesn't really mind. He is fully supportive of anything I get into...almost to the point of embarassing me by fully participating in it as well. My mom on the other hand, really dislikes the fact that I play any video games when I should be out "making friends" and being the social butterfly she expects me to be. >_>

I apparently have home problems...

Back