• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Pokemon Are Wrong Type?

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    Hey, so it's been a while since I did anything with hacking and I'm now getting into a Fire Red hack (which is honestly where I should've started).

I've been able to answer most of my own questions (or at least find useful workarounds) so far, but this one falls outside my knowledge base: I've been testing my hack as I go to make sure everything works correctly, and I've added Hoenn pokemon to most of my maps. I've added a script to change the Dex to Nat'l mode successfully, but I caught a Duskull with an odd typing: Bug/Fighting. Upon further inspection, even the stat spread seems wrong, as his attack is quite high, and his other stats are quite low. I'm wondering if some of his data was overwritten with Heracross data, but I couldn't be sure how.

All the editing I've done thus far has been using Advance Map 1.92, so I'm really unsure where the problem is stemming from.

Thanks!

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    amap does this sometimes
    just check it out in a pokémon editor like the one in gen3tools, yape, or pge. note that yape doesn't work out with expanded pokémon
    i'd be worried about other pokémon being corrupted in the same fashion as well

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    I'm only working with the appropriate 386 pokemon, so there shouldn't be an issue with pokemon overwriting each other. Which of the pokemon editors would you suggest?

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    I'm only working with the appropriate 386 pokemon, so there shouldn't be an issue with pokemon overwriting each other. Which of the pokemon editors would you suggest?
    why would the pokémon overwrite others by themselves? (that's a rhetorical question) amap is relatively known for being buggy and overwriting little bits of data at a time, slowly corrupting your hack while editing maps. awesome map editor should come out soon to automatically take place of amap~
    since you're only using the original 386, yape is great for this.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    why would the pokémon overwrite others by themselves? (that's a rhetorical question) amap is relatively known for being buggy and overwriting little bits of data at a time, slowly corrupting your hack while editing maps. awesome map editor should come out soon to automatically take place of amap~
    since you're only using the original 386, yape is great for this.

I'll look into grabbing YAPE and seeing what's what right now. I dug a little and found a guide about preventing ROM corruption in Emerald version:

"As many of us know, Advance Map by default searches out in Emerald for free space starting out at offset 0x6B0000. This is NOT free space in Emerald and will lead to corruption of the game's musical instruments, causing random notes to 'beep'. This is little known until it's too late, and is permanent and cannot be fixed after it happens."

If A-Map searching out free space incorrectly is the primary cause of ROM corruption (outside of general buggy-ness) is there anything I can do proactively to stop it while I'm ahead?

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    that problem is because emerald has like two areas of free space which are 00, and the real free space of FF. however, only a small area of the 00 free space in emerald is actually free space. this affects fire red in no way at all.

the corruption is generally caused by amap itself being buggy. there's no real way to prevent except keeping backups often :P

Back