• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokemon B/W Have Bad Graphics

jkls39

Gate Master
Years
  • It is an awesome improvement to the handheld battling. It adds alot of life, along with the 3d battle camera system. Battling became sooo intense due to the new improvements!
    You are so right! I mean, gosh! When I crossed Skyarrow(?) Bridge, you know, the bridge connecting between Nacrene City and Castelia City, wow! I was so amazed! In my whole life playing Pokemon, I must say, this is the best! I salute Pokemon Black and White Version as well as their creator, GameFreaks... XD

PixelTyranitar

Johto Region Game Expert
    Years
  • The game also felt so much more mature in the story, but a little short in some parts... The bridges are awsome and the boat ride was fun that you could watch from on the deck. Game Freak need to work harder on the next pokemon installment. it would be as good as some Wii games then! Im looking forward to the next pokemon game Game Freak pushes out.

Years
  • It's pretty cool, but I can't help but feel sorry for the poor spriters who had to do all of that. They have to make billions of frames for every Pokemon in addition to their shiny forms, female forms, shiny female forms, etc.

PixelTyranitar

Johto Region Game Expert
    Years
  • It's pretty cool, but I can't help but feel sorry for the poor spriters who had to do all of that. They have to make billions of frames for every Pokemon in addition to their shiny forms, female forms, shiny female forms, etc.

actually they had to simply animate the sprites, the sprites are made out of a few parts and they just manipulated a lot of sprites.

PixelTyranitar

Johto Region Game Expert
    Years
  • agreed that some the sprites are too pixaly... and it looks like crap on a dsiXL, my game system of choice... it looks nice for things further away but the pixallyness is just to dominant for your own pokemon.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    It is an awesome improvement to the handheld battling. It adds alot of life, along with the 3d battle camera system. Battling became sooo intense due to the new improvements!

Merged with the other graphics thread. Although it isn't centred on battles, people seem to be discussing battles mostly anyway (and two of your posts would've been deleted if this was stand-alone).

Years
  • The back sprites were so pixelated because it was a close up shot compared to previous generations. And I am sure the constant animation didn't help. I'm not really seeing anything wrong with them. Overland stuff looks great as well, very detailed, and shows things from a distance like Castelia City from Sky Arrow Bridge looked amazing. Or the Subway passing under Tubeline Bridge. I think they did a great job, and graphically surpassed it's predecessors. I had the same issue you did when they were doing Black and White coverage before the release and thought dang that back sprite looks like crap I hope this is a beta version they are showing us.

i agree kenshin. at first when i battled someone on white it seemed a little off to me but honestly, how much can we expect from nintendo? theyve owned at least 2/3 of the game market since like the 80s and if you ask me the DS was a huge success. sure the graphics arent what we expected but ya know why? because were used to playing xbox 360 and PS3. the wiis graphics arent even that great. but thats besides the point - the point is that i tend to lean more towards the fact that pokemon b/w has seasons and zooms in and looks at all different aspects of this great franchise. i think the graphics on b/w are great compared to pokemon red and pokemon blue - geez what a loss...tisk tisk

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I dont really mind the graphics, i think they are quite good, but there is room for improvement

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2011
    the graphics look ight to me cept the back sprites when fighting however they are normally always bad compared to the fronts

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
    Years
  • The graphics overall are amazing. The grass looks great, definitely an improvement from DPPt, as well as the 3D elements. The back sprites do look terrible, won't lie, since I've been accustomed to such nice looking pixels. I love the animated sprites though the backsprites could use a lot of work.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    The sprites in B&W are a big step up from Dppt and even though they may be pixelated a bit around the game but the graphics don't make up the game.

NatureKeeper

The graphic of the generation V games were good overall.However, I would have expected better from a game that is supposed to surpass is predissesors(spelling?). The pokemon featured in the box or in the summary look pretty good, that all changes when you go into a pokemon battle. Pokemon participating in a battle have a pixelated qualtiy to them,even from afar. Some features of your pokemon are blurred to the point that they don't look like a seperate appendage at all, I couldn't tell whether or not my Typhlosion had ears or not at first glance. I'm wasn't expecting much in the graphic department but why are Black and White's graphics so bad compared to Diamond,Pearl, and Platinum. Anyone else see what I'm talking about?

I see. But this was done for a reason. The Nintendo DS has a low maximum game card capacity, 256 Megabytes. This leaves no place for 600+ models, textures and shiny textures, although the latter could be done by a palette switch. Game Freak wanted to implement that psuedo-3D sort of thing in the Black and White games, causing them to create the sprites in the "medium view", the view seen before zooming on the Pokémon when it is sent out. No thanks to the no models part, the zooming is assured to pixelate the Pokémon. Also, the low resolution causes zooming in or out to pretty much mess up everything. And unluckily, the 3DS, which has a solution for most of these, wasn't released yet. And, due to the relatively weak sales of the 3DS, I am not expecting 3rd Version or RS remakes to be on the new handheld. We're stuck until Generation VI with those graphics.

moonlightning

Bird Of Thunder
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2019
    Why did they have to zoom in on the back sprite? Why?

Honestly it makes some parts of the game look like they were sprited by a monkey who abused the sketch/skew feature in paint.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    [Insert criticism about back sprites]

I also have a problem with the field sprites. Considering how beautiful everything else in the game is, the field sprites looks very pixelly, out of place and quite ugly. Particularly when the game zooms out...

Last edited:

moonlightning

Bird Of Thunder
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2019
    [Insert criticism about back sprites]

I also have a problem with the field sprites. Considering how beautiful everything else in the game is, the field sprites looks very pixelly, out of place and quite ugly. Particularly when the game zooms out...

Yes, that too! I reminds me of the terrible field sprites in Stark Mountain when the camera zooms out. Let's hope they implement the Pokedex 3d sprites into ruby sapphire remakes. /off topic.

More about the graphics was the first route. The 2d windblown stuff flipping all over the place the route doesn't have a lot to be desired. They could have implemented the small hills or done anything to break out of the "trees and grass" first route but nope, some plant matter flying about was all we got.

Years
  • The DS can't handle Hi-Res Gradient, for anyone that problems the field.
    The field was quite good, the Pokemon are animated, the moves are clearly 3D, the trainer backsprites are good. And do you guys have a problem with the zoom? Yes, the Pkmn Backsprites are bad?? I don't think so. That was the taste of 3D, or do you want larger sprites? It will be impossible for animated to pan in good resolution. You guys should understand that. And for the overworld graphics, the trees were a bit hardly noticable for their paper like folds and edges. But the ows are detailed, like Elesa.
    The trees and the water was good.
    I'd rate the graphics of this game--yes, it's DS. 9/10 for graphics.
    That is my critizism.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 7, 2015
    Yeah I think people need to realise that there wasn't much GameFreak could do about the pixelated Pokemon other than either remove the camera from battles or switch to 3D models of Pokemon. Sprites are sprites. They are made at a fixed resolution and will therefore appear pixelated when zoomed in. I admit at first I was a bit hesitant, but honestly there is nothing wrong with them. I don't find it an issue anymore and would take pixelated Pokemon with an in-battle moving camera over a fixed camera with non-pixelated Pokemon any day. So on that note I find nothing wrong with BW's graphics; they're quite nice.

Now for the next generation of Pokemon I want full on 3D everywhere, with models and animations similar to Pokedex 3D...But I'm not holding my breath lol

Back