• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Bank and Transfer.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    $5 a year is nothing in my book. I can't wait for this. Sure, it's a bit disappointing that they decided to charge us for such a thing, but it's not surprising at all. Definitely great they found a way to get previous generation mons' transferred over though, was beginning to get a bit worried.

I'd also have a hard time seeing them banning (legal) hack mons' from the bank. Isn't this bank capability strictly for our own uses and not for trading purposes? It's ultimately for transferring and storing, so whether it's hacked or not, I can't see why that would be banned. Not like this is strictly for competitive uses, right? Totally didn't see that post above.

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
    Years
    I don't know if this was asked or not but I clone Pokemon on Emerald using the cloning glitch, now if I had 3 Dratini that were cloned from 1 Dratini, would they all be allowed in?

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I don't know if this was asked or not but I clone Pokemon on Emerald using the cloning glitch, now if I had 3 Dratini that were cloned from 1 Dratini, would they all be allowed in?

I would imagine so, if they're simply copies of an already legitimate Pokemon, can't see why the system would deny them.

This restriction, I think, will only really depend on how accurate the information is on the hacked Pokemon. It'll probably be the more obvious stuff, such as having a 5th generation Pokemon saying it was caught in Johto for example. Maybe some less obvious things too, but I can't see this getting too too technical. Just my opinion though.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
    The Gen 4 games incompatible with the transfer despite being the same platform as the Gen 5 is maybe due to the fact that the Gen 4 games have no data that allows them to be compatible with any 3ds app. Black 2 and White 2 are compatible with one particular 3DS app(Pokemon Dream Radar) but the original Black and White however don't have any 3DS compatibility. Maybe the 3DS compatibility was already inputed in the games, and so gives the reason why the Gen 5 game cartrige on the 3DS menu looks animated(the Pokeball swinging ever so often) while the Gen 4 titles in the 3DS appear static.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Was initially excited, but the having to pay part turn me off. So I will just say a big no-no to this Pokemon Bank and Transfer thing.

A noob question though, is this the only way to transfer from 5th gen to 6th gen?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Was initially excited, but the having to pay part turn me off. So I will just say a big no-no to this Pokemon Bank and Transfer thing.

A noob question though, is this the only way to transfer from 5th gen to 6th gen?
    Yes it is according to them, at least for now. Likely though they won't come up with anything else so this may very well be the only option this generation.

blue

gucci
    Years
    An annual fee of $5 is not much at all, it's a very reasonable price when you take into consideration the service and upkeep they have to provide throughout the whole year.

Years
    Gen 4 games aren't DSi Enhanced games which may be the code used to separate the 4th and 5th gen games, other than that, its simply because of Nintendo only porting one generation backwards. Its like the only thing they do. They don't seem to like to dwell in the past so they only allow one generation back connecting to the current gen console or something.

Gen 4 games can be read by the Radar App to get the legendary Pokemon on there. I doubt that's the reason. Like I said above, they probably used the DSi enhancement as the source to do the port over.

Hacked Pokemon won't be able to get through since it used an outside media device not endorsed by the companies (Neither Gamefreak not Nintendo endorse the Action Replay, both have issued multiple lawsuits against, and neither will reimburse a customer who has had their system or games destroyed by the action replay.)

As for items, you cannot transfer Items forward. At least you haven't been able to as far as I can remember. It and HMs have been a constant block for transfers. Poke Transfer doesn't allow items to be transferred, so that being the last one may be the most relevant.

So neither hacked Pokemon from 5th Gen titles nor cloned items from 5th Gen titles should be able to move forward due to the coding locks in the new transfer system.

So if anything is altered through outside devices, Pokegen, Action Replay, or what ever, the system will not allow them to be brought forward.
    The DSi enhanced code makes sense as it's one of the things that actually separate Gen 4 and 5.

And yeah items can't be transferred at least in the recent transfers. I do wonder if the Pokémon may gain items if it's a certain species sort of like how in Gen 1 to Gen II transfer some gain certain items irc.

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
    Years
    If you have to pay for this feature, I'll never be able to use it.

Why? To pay for things online you need bank details. I have none, and my mother would say no. She's in charge of all finances until I get a job [unlikely].

So it looks like, for me and everyone else who can't do the money thing, generation 6 will be a fresh start, just like how generation 3 was.

Years

Why? To pay for things online you need bank details. I have none, and my mother would say no. She's in charge of all finances until I get a job [unlikely].

So it looks like, for me and everyone else who can't do the money thing, generation 6 will be a fresh start, just like how generation 3 was.
    Or you could find a friend to help you transfer them...sure it'll take awhile to trade them all to their Gen 5 games and back to your Gen 6 games but in the end it's worth it I think.

I.T.

The Pokémon Cartel
    Years

Maybe they will come up with an alternative option for those who are unable to pay with bank methods. Such as charging you the YEARLY fee through a prepaid Nintendo eShop card. Also assuming the $5 fee rumor is true, they aren't asking much for a yearly charge. I'm sure your mom wouldn't have a problem paying that fee for you once a year?

Years
    Flashcard Compatibility with Pokémon Bank/Pokétransporter

Okay, question in regards to the compatibility of Pokémon Bank.

Whilst I understand the talking about flashcards might be prohibited, my question doesn't raise any legality issues, however, I'm simply asking a question of what-ifs etc.

The announcement of Pokémon Bank and Pokétransporter is an exciting one - we are finally able to play our hard earned Pokémon in full 3D! However, quite recently I've been playing Drayono's amazing hack of Black 2 (called Blaze Black 2) and whilst I have the game already it's fun to play a hack; within this game you are able to catch every single Pokémon in some way or another. My question is:

Would the Pokémon Bank/Pokétransporter be compatible with Pokémon games located on a flash card?​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    No.

Much like Pokemon Dread Radar, these apps would be completely incompatible with Pokemon games stored on flash cards.

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
    Years
    Another note is that Pokemon Bank can only transfer legit Pokemon. Any hack game has all of its Pokemon as hacked. Even an R4 device won't read with Bank because it doesn't have the games coding directly in the device. I know of a few exceptions for EMU's and ROM's but PM me if you want to hear them.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Another note is that Pokemon Bank can only transfer legit Pokemon. Any hack game has all of its Pokemon as hacked. Even an R4 device won't read with Bank because it doesn't have the games coding directly in the device. I know of a few exceptions for EMU's and ROM's but PM me if you want to hear them.

Not true. You can access Nintendo WFC with a flashcart and trade the Pokémon on the GTS. You can also freely trade Pokémon caught in a hack as long as the Pokémon aren't modified in any way. So, for example, you could trade Pokémon from the Clean version of BB/VW, although some of them would be considered illegal because of impossible catch locations.

The real reason is the other thing you said: hardware incompability. The flashcart isn't recognized by the app, because it isn't a real cart.

Years
    Not true. You can access Nintendo WFC with a flashcart and trade the Pokémon on the GTS. You can also freely trade Pokémon caught in a hack as long as the Pokémon aren't modified in any way. So, for example, you could trade Pokémon from the Clean version of BB/VW, although some of them would be considered illegal because of impossible catch locations.

The real reason is the other thing you said: hardware incompability. The flashcart isn't recognized by the app, because it isn't a real cart.

A very informative answer here! I was going to say the same to you in response to 'Water Gym Leader' - although the Pokémon game itself is a hack, the Pokémon caught in the game are no different from any other Pokémon caught in a genuine copy (unless of course they are found in an area where they aren't usually found etc.)

But the answer was both a disheartening one, but enlightening one. I myself have been playing Blaze Black 2 and have been catching a plethora of amazing Pokermens ready to transfer over the Pokémon X & Y, but now the only way I am going to be able to do it is to trade them over to my friend's legit copy of the game and then upload them to Pokémon Bank from his copy - the only thing is though is that I would end up with all of his Pokémon on my flashcard as you can't trade something for nothing. :(

Any alternatives that you guys can see for me to get around this? :)

Back