• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Bank

Will you be doing the same thing?

• Yeah, I probably would...

Votes: 87 74.4%
  • Nah, I'll stick to breeding instead.

Votes: 30 25.6%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    If Pokemon were purely a single player I wouldn't care if you had a PC full of level 300 Mewtwos with infinite HP. But Pokemon is a competitive game. And to build teams the right way can be time consuming which is all the more reason that it isn't fair to hack when there are so many people trying to do things the right way.

It's no different than taking a performance enhancing drug to aid you in a marathon or weight lifting competition. In terms of fairness.

Wait, what? Who said anything about illegal stats, and levels? Do you even know what we are arguing about hear?
    It is different then taking a sport enhancing drug. A sport enhancing drug, would be like if I modified the ivs to over 31.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    You are gaining an advantage over players by artificially creating Pokemon with the means to win by giving them the best possible stats they can get, ability, nature and characteristic. You do not try to breed them the correct way and even Gamefreak views the use of outside manipulation such as websites to create Pokemon as an act of cheating. Its not loose, its what it is. You cheat, plain and simple. There are many that do not get to breed for perfects and still enter the tournaments through naivete. You who create your Pokemon through external means have a distinct advantage over the poor kids that don't know better.

TPC does ban players who they find using hacked Pokemon, even if those Pokemon still have normal stats and abilities. Use of external devices and sites is frowned upon by the organizers and is classified as cheating.
    As others said, if you don't want to put in the work to play legitly, go play on showdown.

It's hardly cheating when Pokemon with perfect IVs, the best nature, and a good ability are very common anyway.

And companies generally don't like people messing with their products. Not always because they're concerned about the people.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Sooo, what do you guys think of RNG?

RNG is a fairly grey area. Its not using external devices but rather abusing the in game random generator in your favor. I do view it as an act of cheating because its an abuse of the system itself, but those are legit pokemon. Right now its not possible to RNG. I view it to be frowned upon, same as using external devices, but its more accepted than an outright hacked Pokemon since they are still legit Pokemon and you can, without meaning to, catch an RNG Perfect Pokemon through chance, though the chance of it happening is so small I do not believe it can be conveyed in numerical form.

It still takes a lot of time and work to do so really, its less offensive than outright cheating using hacks and websites/apps to create Pokemon.

What about cloning?

I ask because whilst I have never hacked any Pokemon (despite my comments above), what I have "hacked" has been cloning and items.

External devices to clone are bad in the way that you risk losing your data. The data it creates can become corrupted and would harm your game. Hacked, Cloned, and there was a third one I think Generated (term used for the App Pokemon I think) are constantly black listed by Game breeders who, for the most part spend all their time breeding so that others can have decent Pokemon to use in tournaments. They will not accept any of those three.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    You are gaining an advantage over players by artificially creating Pokemon with the means to win by giving them the best possible stats they can get, ability, nature and characteristic. You do not try to breed them the correct way and even Gamefreak views the use of outside manipulation such as websites to create Pokemon as an act of cheating. Its not loose, its what it is. You cheat, plain and simple. There are many that do not get to breed for perfects and still enter the tournaments through naivete. You who create your Pokemon through external means have a distinct advantage over the poor kids that don't know better.

TPC does ban players who they find using hacked Pokemon, even if those Pokemon still have normal stats and abilities. Use of external devices and sites is frowned upon by the organizers and is classified as cheating.
    As others said, if you don't want to put in the work to play legitly, go play on showdown.

But it isn't really an advantage as everyone has access to it. Everyone has the choice to use it or not, and it is my choice to spend more time on battling rather then breeding. I use to be one of those kids who did not know one thing about breeding and battling was bad for me. I was getting swept by every team, and only ever got a win against other noobs. Now ask yourself, is that fun? Why should I do that when I can just use something that gives me the Pokemon in a matter of minutes? At the end of the day, as long as it is there, I will keep using it. If it goes, so be it.

Universal

Musician
    Years
    Well now, I guess I'm also gaining an advantage because I RNG in 5th gen, which people say is similar to hacking. :l
    As for Sceptile14, he brought the game with his money, let him do what he wants, who are you to say what he cant or can do. Atleast he's not using illegal pokemon.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Aren't we getting a little off topic, though? Please don't hate me for playing the mod but I think this debate is better suited here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=315982.

Btw, anyone heared something about the release date of Bank yet?

Good point. We already have a thread for this.

I haven't heard anything else about the release date for the Bank. I do hope its sooner rather than later. I'm getting tired of waiting. Zekrom hungers for battle!

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    Aren't we getting a little bit off topic, though? Please don't hate me for playing the mod but I think this debate is better suited here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=315982.

Btw, anyone heared something about the release date of Bank yet?

I guess but one of the main things about Pokemon bank was it letting hacked Pokemon into the game, so I guess this is where the debate came from XD

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    But it isn't really an advantage as everyone has access to it. Everyone has the choice to use it or not, and it is my choice to spend more time on battling rather then breeding. I use to be one of those kids who did not know one thing about breeding and battling was bad for me. I was getting swept by every team, and only ever got a win against other noobs. Now ask yourself, is that fun? Why should I do that when I can just use something that gives me the Pokemon in a matter of minutes? At the end of the day, as long as it is there, I will keep using it. If it goes, so be it.

Because then you are a cheater. I held my own with random Pokemon, never needed to go the route of hacking, then I discovered breeding and IVs. Started doing that and my personal battle record started to climb. If you cheat you shouldn't be playing the game. If you care that little about the game that you'd rather just cheat your way through, you'd be better off playing something else.

It's hardly cheating when Pokemon with perfect IVs, the best nature, and a good ability are very common anyway.

And companies generally don't like people messing with their products. Not always because they're concerned about the people.
    They are very common, but a lot of it is through breeding, especially in X and Y. There was no way to cheat the Pokemon into the games and look how many legitimate perfect Pokemon came out. You can play without cheating.

As far as we're still aware, we cannot even use anything transferred through the Bank for competitive play anyway since they all lack the pentagon. Since they need to have the Pentagon to be able to be used in the tournaments, you have to breed now anyway.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2014
    Sorry to but in on your debate here, but with the whole hacking Pokémon what's the whole point in the game, "Gotta catch them all has been used from the start not "lets transfer them all. What's going to happen to the gts trading with people being able to obtain any pokemon they wish with a click of a button? It's gonna be pretty pointless IMO. Not adding to the fact any shiny pokemon you want, not only does it ruin the game for breeders/shiny hunters but also for these people who obtain these Pokémon to trade for one they've always wanted but can't seem to get. It may speed up the process for battling but where's the feeling of accomplishment? If you can't put the work into a CHILDRENS game then stick to battling with your normal pokemon. Or better yet just don't play ✌

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Because then you are a cheater. I held my own with random Pokemon, never needed to go the route of hacking, then I discovered breeding and IVs. Started doing that and my personal battle record started to climb. If you cheat you shouldn't be playing the game. If you care that little about the game that you'd rather just cheat your way through, you'd be better off playing something else.

They are very common, but a lot of it is through breeding, especially in X and Y. There was no way to cheat the Pokemon into the games and look how many legitimate perfect Pokemon came out. You can play without cheating.

As far as we're still aware, we cannot even use anything transferred through the Bank for competitive play anyway since they all lack the pentagon. Since they need to have the Pentagon to be able to be used in the tournaments, you have to breed now anyway.

The point was that Pokegen/Pokesav isn't really giving you an advantage if almost everyone else has perfect Pokemon too, which seems to be one of the main issues people have. You're not giving yourself an advantage, you're just leveling the playing field.

Oh, and if possible, it might be best to move this whole debate over to the thread Light Blast posted a link to.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019

I care about the game, I just don't care for breeding. I don't cheat my way through. I create Pokemon with perfectly legit stats to battle other people's Pokemon. Also just because I don't like breeding, it doesn't mean that I'm better of playing something else. If that was true, then I would barely play any games at all because every game has something that I don't like.

I don't compete in tournaments, nor do I plan to in the future, but on the youtube video, it said store your Pokemon for competitive battling as one of the main reasons, but that may only mean battlespot, and battling with friends.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Sorry to but in on your debate here, but with the whole hacking Pokémon what's the whole point in the game, "Gotta catch them all has been used from the start not "lets transfer them all. What's going to happen to the gts trading with people being able to obtain any pokemon they wish with a click of a button? It's gonna be pretty pointless IMO. Not adding to the fact any shiny pokemon you want, not only does it ruin the game for breeders/shiny hunters but also for these people who obtain these Pokémon to trade for one they've always wanted but can't seem to get. It may speed up the process for battling but where's the feeling of accomplishment? If you can't put the work into a CHILDRENS game then stick to battling with your normal pokemon. Or better yet just don't play ✌

Not everyone gets a feeling of accomplishment from spending craploads of time breeding the perfect team. And Pokemon is hardly a kids game when the majority of the fanbase is no longer kids, and tons of 10 year olds play CoD.

Outlier

And yet you felt qualified to comment on it (and throw in an insult) anyway. I laid out my situation as 90% of people on here will be people with more spare time, I was not trying to give a "sob story", I was trying to lay out what things look like for other people.

I did read most of your posts. I just got sick of you acting like you're more entitled to hack a competitive game because of your responsibilities. As if you have far more commitments and they are far more important than anything the rest of us have to deal with. The fact that you assume that you're busier than 90% of the people here further proves my point. Even if you ARE busier than 90% of the people here it's arrogant to think that it makes it okay to hack and cheat in a competitive game.

Was anyone?

No, but again you seem to be using your personal situation to justify hacking your pokemon. I just didn't want you to think I was making light of your commitments just because I wasn't letting you off the hook for cheating.

See, it's you that wants to dictate to me how I can and can't play the game. Tell you what, I'll play my way, you play yours and we can just agree to disagree with no insults...how about that?

It's not dictating if I'm telling you not to do something that's ILLEGAL, especially if it affects me and other players (which it does whether you want to admit it or not). If we were in a weight lifting competition or competing in a marathon and I said "don't use steroids because it gives you an unfair advantage", would that be dictating?

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019

Just because it is a children's game, doesn't mean that a lot of work wouldn't be put into it. It could take a lot of hours to breed just one perfect Pokemon, which is just too time consuming for me. Battles on the other hand, are very exciting fun, and if you run out of time you can just forfeit, which is why I like to just get into them straight away, without breeding.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    When most of the people are asking for Articuno or Xerneas/Yeltal, I think it will still be slow-going to fill up the Pokedex. The Wonder Trade has actually done more Pokedex completion for me than the GTS has.

Back