• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Bank

Will you be doing the same thing?

• Yeah, I probably would...

Votes: 87 74.4%
  • Nah, I'll stick to breeding instead.

Votes: 30 25.6%

• Total voters
    Years
    No word from them since their "we will release news on Pokebank as soon as possible" -_-

When's the next Nintendo Direct? They have to mention this debacle somehow.

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    brobly becuse but they have more severs and people are not on their all at once.

no, their servers when down on christmas too, just not as long as nintendo cuz nintendo is about 10 years behind at this point and instead of looking at how others have done it, they just tried on their own and failed, which will turn more people off of nintendo

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    funny how Mircosoft and Sony can launch something that millions of people use and not have the problems that nintendo is having

Funny how you're comparing something that can cost 12x as much (Xbox live $25 per 3 months or $60 a year depending on what you get, Playstation Plus can be $50 a year) for an entire network for whole gamesystems to something that costs FIVE dollars ($5) a YEAR and is for ONE specific game series and expect it all to have the same capacity and techs dedicated to the implementation and running it. I bought a $20 router that has a range of 30 feet at wal mart, should I expect it to be able to handle 500 simultaneous devices at top speed like the $300 router?

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
    funny how Mircosoft and Sony can launch something that millions of people use and not have the problems that nintendo is having

Xbox Live and PSN cost ~10x the amount yearly as PokeBank.
    Also, Live and PSN have been around for a long time and well established, PokeBank is BRAND NEW.
    Finally, PSN and Live both have had their share of problems.
    So, no idea what you're talking; they all had their crashes

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    Funny how you're comparing something that can cost 12x as much (Xbox live $25 per 3 months or $60 a year depending on what you get, Playstation Plus can be $50 a year) for an entire network for whole gamesystems to something that costs FIVE dollars ($5) a YEAR and is for ONE specific game series and expect it all to have the same capacity and techs dedicated to the implementation and running it. I bought a $20 router that has a range of 30 feet at wal mart, should I expect it to be able to handle 500 simultaneous devices at top speed like the $300 router?

their entire network went down and had to do a complete shut down for 12 hours to get it back to limping. They knew what they were getting into cuz it's not a new thing, they knew there would be heavy traffic during the holidays. They royally messed when there isn't an excuse at this point to be this bad at it. As for the bank it's self, problems that un-releasable should have been caught well before the release. That's what play testing is, that's what they're doing now after the fact.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    their entire network went down and had to do a complete shut down for 12 hours to get it back to limping. They knew what they were getting into cuz it's not a new thing, they knew there would be heavy traffic during the holidays. They royally messed when there isn't an excuse at this point to be this bad at it. As for the bank it's self, problems that un-releasable should have been caught well before the release. That's what play testing is, that's what they're doing now after the fact.

No it didn't, the nintendo network that handles account signups and payment info went down, Pokebank and the GTS were perfectly fine, as was evident by all the people that were getting Pokebank pokemon all through the christmas shut down, once people actually signed up they were fine, as the servers for pokebank and the GTS are completely different than the eShop and such, and THAT is the part that got shut down. You can't access pokebank if you can't set up an account, and that coupled with the milliosn of people worldwide that are just getting Wii Us and/or 3DS' or 2DS' and linking their accounts between the new devices and setting up accounts to buy al these new virtual games they suddenly have access to (because, there are WAY more games on these two systems besides pokemon) yet both systems have been out for a year or two already so while they most certainly should have expected a huge influx of people setting up accounts at Christmas, why would you expect it to shut down servers for systems that have been out for over a year, and almost two in the case of the 3DS? (no one ever thinks about THAT. Neither of these systems are new) the account signup is not "the entire nintendo network" and what are you thinking that playtesting actually is? MILLIONS of people worldwide simultaneously playing something? No, playtesting tends to be in the hundreds, SOMETIMES a few thousand. 600 people playtesting something is SO different than tens of millions of people playing it, why on earth would you think hundreds is exactly the same as millions? They're not. They're VASTLY different numbers.

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    No it didn't, the nintendo network that handles account signups and payment info went down, Pokebank and the GTS were perfectly fine, as was evident by all the people that were getting Pokebank pokemon all through the christmas shut down, once people actually signed up they were fine, as the servers for pokebank and the GTS are completely different than the eShop and such, and THAT is the part that got shut down. You can't access pokebank if you can't set up an account, and that coupled with the milliosn of people worldwide that are just getting Wii Us and/or 3DS' or 2DS' and linking their accounts between the new devices and setting up accounts to buy al these new virtual games they suddenly have access to (because, there are WAY more games on these two systems besides pokemon) yet both systems have been out for a year or two already so while they most certainly should have expected a huge influx of people setting up accounts at Christmas, why would you expect it to shut down servers for systems that have been out for over a year, and almost two in the case of the 3DS? (no one ever thinks about THAT. Neither of these systems are new) the account signup is not "the entire nintendo network" and what are you thinking that playtesting actually is? MILLIONS of people worldwide simultaneously playing something? No, playtesting tends to be in the hundreds, SOMETIMES a few thousand. 600 people playtesting something is SO different than tens of millions of people playing it, why on earth would you think hundreds is exactly the same as millions? They're not. They're VASTLY different numbers.

you're the one talking numbers, not me, and it doesn't matter how long a counsel has been out, every Christmas has a huge bump in sales numbers, and they did shut down everything AFTER christmas, and i do mean everything cuz Bank and transfer didn't return to japan till a few days later. And it's kinda their job in anticipate when a something like this happens, they have projections for their holiday sales, and i doubt they even met those so they still should have been prepared. Playtesting is whatever the company wants it to be, in nintendos case, it would be closed and probably solely internal. But that obviously didn't happen before it was released cuz some of the bug seem pretty easy to catch.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    you're the one talking numbers, not me, and it doesn't matter how long a counsel has been out, every Christmas has a huge bump in sales numbers, and they did shut down everything AFTER christmas, and i do mean everything cuz Bank and transfer didn't return to japan till a few days later. And it's kinda their job in anticipate when a something like this happens, they have projections for their holiday sales, and i doubt they even met those so they still should have been prepared. Playtesting is whatever the company wants it to be, in nintendos case, it would be closed and probably solely internal. But that obviously didn't happen before it was released cuz some of the bug seem pretty easy to catch.

where are you getting your information exactly? yes consoles have a huge bump in sales at Christmas, however what console can you name that has been out for a YEAR that outsells it's own sales from the previous year as well as the entire year between christmases? None, that's how many. You keep glossing over the fact that Nintendo released the Wii U LAST YEAR and they didn't have problems anywhere near the scale this was, so why would they automatically assume they would this year? Yes, they should, but honestly, the Wii U can out last year, the 2DS and Pokemon came out in OCTOBER, there really wasn't anything earth shattering that came out for Nintendo this Christmas and they presumed that they had enough bandwidth to handle it based on the sales they already made. YOU didn't know the servers were going to crash and YOU seem to know more than Nintendo does! ;-)

Once again, EVERYTHING did NOT shut down (where did you hear that?) only the eShop and the Nintendo ID servers shut down. The Pokebank and GTS were perfectly fine throughout, they took pokebank down in order to make people STOP signing up for the service and clogging the Nintendo network every time they logged into the service, but everyone that had it already could use it perfectly fine, as was evidenced by countless people (such as me) getting their first pokebank starter pokemon on Dec 24 and continuing on until getting all of the pokebank pokemon on Dec 27, so what part of that says to you that "everything" was out? Trading was obviously not out if everyone is still trading. Even Gamesync didn't go out during that time, and that thing is ALWAYS going out at the best of times. "Everything" didn't come down, just eShop and the Nintendo Network.

And the fact that you think that internal playstesting is enough to estimate real world usage just illustrates you have no idea what a server is or how it functions. You open your computer for 1 person on the internet to use to look inside your computer and it takes system resources to handle the information the user is accessing but it's not much more than you using your comptuer at home. Put on 10 people all accessing information at the same time, there's gonna be some slowdown probably. Put 100 people on all accessing information, there's going to be a substantial speed down, you put on 10 million people, your computer is going to shut down. Internal testing cannot simulate tens of millions of simultaneous connections of tens of millions of people all signing up for new and existing Nintendo accounts, many of whom are linking memberships between devices while others having just one membership on one device or the other. Why on earth would you think they could? Real world testing can only happen in teh real world, which is what happened and it shut down the nintendo network ID servers and eShop servers. The GTS was perfectly fine all throughout the shut down.

Since you seem to know that the glitch was pretty easy to catch, explain in GRAPHIC detail how they could have fixed this problem based on sales figures for consoles that were 1 and 2 years old, for games that were released 2 months prior and all logic would dictate that most of the people that wanted any of these would have already bought it and set up their Nintendo IDs anywhere from a couple months ago to a full year ago, linked them to both game systems and set up payment information and NOT wait until Christmas day to do so. If all these things came out at Christmas, then yes, they should have expected it, but when this years Xmas Wii U sales outsell last years AS WELL AS all the sales of Wii Us throughout the past year, who could possibly have seen that coming? its a console that's over a year old. You would expect this years to be, AT BEST, the same as last year's sales (After all, nothing new has come out for it recently besides Super Mario 3D world, everything else that was good came out earlier than Christmas) and considering the MILLIONS of people that bought Pokemon at launch, it's a pretty reasonable expectation that Nintendo would have presumed they had had enough bandwidth to handle it in the first place, which they didn't.

James

Make it double!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    Not sure if this has happened to everyone but i was just on the eShop and the icon for the pokebank has been removed under the pokemon x&y tab. Its been there with the TBD under the released section, but now its gone all together. could they possible be ready to rerelease????

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
    For me (in Europe) , it's been removed for quite some time. The only way I could access it was by typing "Pokémon" in the "Search" field.

James

Make it double!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    For me (in Europe) , it's been removed for quite some time. The only way I could access it was by typing "Pokémon" in the "Search" field.

Awwww, your right. i just tried that and its still on the eshop :/ hopes smashed yet again

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
    Years
    I just want this to work, soo much. Since Christmas I've been checking everyday to see if its up yet, and everyday, crushing defeat. Any predictions on how long this should take them?

Years

Playstation network is free. PS plus is not needed to play online or download dlc.

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    I just want this to work, soo much. Since Christmas I've been checking everyday to see if its up yet, and everyday, crushing defeat. Any predictions on how long this should take them?

they might announce something soon, that's all the info anyone have been able to get really

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Playstation network is free. PS plus is not needed to play online or download dlc.

Playstation 3 Online gaming is free based on game. EA is trying to force charges through outside sign up and membership. So is Origin. There are a few other game companies that will be forcing their players on the PS3 to pay for content in the future.

PS4 requires Playstation Plus to play online for all games except those labeled Free to Play which will mostly be MMO type games where you have to pay a subscription fee anyway.

I only know of two so far: DCUO and Final Fantasy. Destiny is said that you'll have to do extra payment to play. If they don't then you'll be required to pay the Playstation Plus membership to play it online.

Nintendo to my knowledge is the only company that isn't going to go through with the pay to play online experience and in doing so lost contracts with a few developers so Nintedo lost out of a few new game titles. I think they were mostly sports.

The Bank is going to remain down for a while. A week was my minimum guesstimate. My Maximum is about 2 or 3 months since Nintendo isn't used to these kinda errors. They don't have the server capacity that the other two companies have and are still new to a lot of the online shop and retail aspects that their systems have. A problem like this arises they don't really know what to do.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I'm assuming we won't get it until the end of this month or the end of winter if they go past the one month mark (as it'll show they're having some real issues which will take time).

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2020
    i really just hope they get it released soon because i really would love to transfer over all my old pokemon!!

Back