• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Battle Tents

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
  • Pokemon Battle Tents were a location in Pokemon Emerald, replacing Contest Halls, that allowed you to use a team of Level 30 rentals to test your skills. Do you think these will make a return in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire? How different do you suspect they will be if so? Expectations/hopes?

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Please, no. >_> Although I want the design of the Battle Tent building itself (exterior and interior) to be used as a re-sized, new singular facility somewhere in the Hoenn Battle Frontier itself, the Battle Tent concept ("easier" version of certain Battle Frontier events) can just go away and never come back - once you unlock the Hoenn Battle Frontier in Emerald, the Battle Tents just become useless (unless you're just desperate for the prizes they give, which are rather common anyways).

I liked Emerald's consolidation of the Contest Hall in Lilycove City, so I hope that something useful can be put in the Slateport, Verdanturf, and Fallarbor areas that used to host/be occupied with Contest Halls and Battle Tents. Maybe a Pokeathlon, a Battle Chateau-like building, and a Battle Institute could serve as suitable replacements for the 3 areas?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    The battle tents were an interesting concept, but I didn't really see the point of battling in them, because these stuff are also there in the BF and the rewards aren't really so exciting.

I liked the fact that they moved all the contests to Lilycove (much more convenient) but I think Pokéathlon or something of that sort should take place of these stupid tents.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I hope not. They weren't that fun imo and we had the Frontier later and you know, once you're there why look back? I'd much rather have dispersed contests and have them be a legit side quest that you have to go along and do. But consolidated contests were fine too, so I wouldn't mind if they were replaced with something fun? No idea what, but something cool.

EDIT: I JUST REALIZED WHAT COULD REPLACE THEM. CLOTHING STORES YESSSSS

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • noooo whyyy if we're getting customization they have to be put somewhere, right? unless they're going to consolidate them into Lilycove's department store or add new buildings. I'd rather there be contest halls but if not then clothing stores would be better than battle tents imo.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I hope not. They weren't that fun imo and we had the Frontier later and you know, once you're there why look back? I'd much rather have dispersed contests and have them be a legit side quest that you have to go along and do. But consolidated contests were fine too, so I wouldn't mind if they were replaced with something fun? No idea what, but something cool.

*drools* Ooh, great idea; clothing stores could be terrific replacements for the Battle Tent sites, too! (in addition to a Battle Institute/Battle Chateau/Pokeathlon thing) And they still give you plenty of incentive to (re-)visit Slateport City, Verdanturf Town, and Fallarbor Town! ^^

Upon thinking about it, clothing stores would fit perfectly with the bustling "market/shopping" aspect of Slateport City (I can just imagine going "window shopping" in a mall or something while listening to Slateport City's music on loudspeakers or something.. XD) Verdanturf and Fallarbor (the latter of which kind of reminds me of an excavation site) are kind of sleepy, out-of-the-way towns, though, so shopping there would be kind of weird. XD At least Verdanturf Town's music could pair well with a clothing store that sells "elegant" clothes..? :P

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Actually clothing stores would literally be perfect. They'd be the right size to take up the space the tents took and they're just as practical as long as customization is available, obviously. They're useless anyway considering they're the same as the Battle Factory in the Frontier, if the Frontier returns.

Years
  • I think the customization of clothing is a feature that Nintendo intended to make the norm after Kalos, so I'm relatively sure they will be trying to find a way to implement it in the remakes. I actually enjoyed the Tents in Emerald, as well as the contests in R/S, so I would be sad to see them go. Clothing stores do seen to be a perfect replacement, though. I won't be complaining if that's how it goes down, haha n__n

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I actually really liked having the Contest halls being separated. Instead of stopping halfway through your journey in Lillycove to do all the Contests, you were instead encouraged to do them as you progressed through the story, which helped give you some breaks in-between all the battles.

I honestly never utilized the Battle Tents. Why bother, since the Battle Frontier was so epic? During the story I don't EV train or IV breed my team, so I really only utilize those kinds of facilities post-game anyways.

I really can't think of something I would rather have than the Contest Halls back...

Oh.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Edit: I just discussed with my boyfriend, and he brings up the point of PokéMarts being inside PokéCenters now.
    With that knowledge, we do have one extra building slot in pretty much every city. Maybe both Contest Halls and clothing stores can be included?

AniRain

Goddess of Storms
    Years
  • I think Clothing Stores would be awesome too especially since they could always input the Pokemon Frontier instead of battle tents - even though that was exclusive to Emerald. xD

Just talking about it is getting me excited again *waveshandsexcitedly*

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    The only Tent I really enjoyed was the Battle Tent where you didn't get to decide what attack your Pokemon used. That one was always fun and, unlike its Frontier counterpart, held no penalty except you didn't get a Protein or something like that.

That being said, I'd love for them to make a comeback. It was something cute that they added into the games.

Years
  • If the Battle Frontier were to make a return, I wouldn't care about the Battle Tents.
    I'd rather have something else.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I actually really liked having the Contest halls being separated. Instead of stopping halfway through your journey in Lillycove to do all the Contests, you were instead encouraged to do them as you progressed through the story, which helped give you some breaks in-between all the battles.

I honestly never utilized the Battle Tents. Why bother, since the Battle Frontier was so epic? During the story I don't EV train or IV breed my team, so I really only utilize those kinds of facilities post-game anyways.

I really can't think of something I would rather have than the Contest Halls back...

Oh.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Edit: I just discussed with my boyfriend, and he brings up the point of PokéMarts being inside PokéCenters now.
    With that knowledge, we do have one extra building slot in pretty much every city. Maybe both Contest Halls and clothing stores can be included?

Hmm; I would see how players would be encouraged to do Contests as the game progresses (Slateport City, the first place where you learn of Pokemon Contests in Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, is such a tease since you're ineligible for Hyper Rank at that stage in the game where you haven't reached Verdanturf Town yet), but I would think that one would have the wherewithal to prepare Pokemon better with high-quality resources either by the time they first reach Lilycove City (since they most likely already has the Hidden Move (HM) Fly, which aids in Berry harvesting) or during the post-game (where you can be much more efficient with Berry harvesting). I think the Normal Rank and Super Rank Pokemon Contests are do-able by Pokemon who haven't had their Contest Conditions augmented by PokeBlocks/Contest Scarves at all, but you pretty much have to be at the top of your game to win the Master Rank Pokemon Contests (particularly if you want a Contest Painting and the corresponding Portrait Ribbon) - in which case you would be better off making Pokeblocks in Lilycove City anyway (as Lilycove has the most people at the Berry Blender machine IIRC; I might have to double-check how many people are at the non-Lilycove Berry Blender machines..).

Also, most of the high-tier Berries for PokeBlocks (Pamtre, Durin, Watmel, and Belue Berry; Liechi Berry is in a class of its own and is arguably the most optimal Berry to use for Berry Blending but is ridiculously hard to obtain due to its appearance at boohoo-for-you Mirage Island :P) are restricted to the post-game/require the player to defeat the Elite Four/Champion before obtaining them from the Berry Master's wife (according to Bulbapedia, Spelon Berry, used for Cool Contests and roughly analogous to Pamtre/Durin/Watmel/Belue, is the only "high-tier" Berry that can be obtained before the Elite Four), so the player might as well wait until the post-game to challenge Contests at an optimal level.

*OOH, great point; I forgot about the Poke Marts being consolidated within Pokemon Centers! If that practice is maintained, there is extra space indeed! ^^ (although what will happen to the wonderful Poke Mart music? Will it be restricted to just the Lilycove Department Store? :()! If that's the case, I would love it if clothing stores replaced Poke Mart areas, so the Battle Tent areas could still be used for something battle-oriented! (like Battle Institute or Battle Chateau)

The only Tent I really enjoyed was the Battle Tent where you didn't get to decide what attack your Pokemon used. That one was always fun and, unlike its Frontier counterpart, held no penalty except you didn't get a Protein or something like that.

That being said, I'd love for them to make a comeback. It was something cute that they added into the games.

What penalty are you talking about for the Battle Palace's event? ~_~ Aside from more wasted time (since the Battle Palace necessitates 7 consecutive battles, while the Verdanturf Battle Tent site from Emerald only mandates 3 consecutive battles) and the loss of potential Battle Points (which is identical to the loss of the potential "Protein/other applicable item" that you mentioned for the Battle Tent), I don't see a difference between the 2 areas' rulesets..

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    What penalty are you talking about for the Battle Palace's event? ~_~ Aside from more wasted time (since the Battle Palace necessitates 7 consecutive battles, while the Verdanturf Battle Tent site from Emerald only mandates 3 consecutive battles) and the loss of potential Battle Points (which is identical to the loss of the potential "Protein/other applicable item" that you mentioned for the Battle Tent), I don't see a difference between the 2 areas' rulesets..

Having to start from square 1 and be who knows how many battle away from facing the Frontier Brain for the first/second time.

But that's beside the point of this topic, I was thinking what if they actually included the Battle Tents in another place? Like, one giant tent where you can choose the different battle types, like a mini Frontier, and then have the huge, regular Frontier elsewhere, and the big Battle Tent be somewhere like maybe Slateport or Mauville?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Hmm; I would see how players would be encouraged to do Contests as the game progresses (Slateport City, the first place where you learn of Pokemon Contests in Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, is such a tease since you're ineligible for Hyper Rank at that stage in the game where you haven't reached Verdanturf Town yet), but I would think that one would have the wherewithal to prepare Pokemon better with high-quality resources either by the time they first reach Lilycove City (since they most likely already has the Hidden Move (HM) Fly, which aids in Berry harvesting) or during the post-game (where you can be much more efficient with Berry harvesting). I think the Normal Rank and Super Rank Pokemon Contests are do-able by Pokemon who haven't had their Contest Conditions augmented by PokeBlocks/Contest Scarves at all, but you pretty much have to be at the top of your game to win the Master Rank Pokemon Contests (particularly if you want a Contest Painting and the corresponding Portrait Ribbon) - in which case you would be better off making Pokeblocks in Lilycove City anyway (as Lilycove has the most people at the Berry Blender machine IIRC; I might have to double-check how many people are at the non-Lilycove Berry Blender machines..).

Also, most of the high-tier Berries for PokeBlocks (Pamtre, Durin, Watmel, and Belue Berry; Liechi Berry is in a class of its own and is arguably the most optimal Berry to use for Berry Blending but is ridiculously hard to obtain due to its appearance at boohoo-for-you Mirage Island :P) are restricted to the post-game/require the player to defeat the Elite Four/Champion before obtaining them from the Berry Master's wife (according to Bulbapedia, Spelon Berry, used for Cool Contests and roughly analogous to Pamtre/Durin/Watmel/Belue, is the only "high-tier" Berry that can be obtained before the Elite Four), so the player might as well wait until the post-game to challenge Contests at an optimal level.
    For an optimal experience I can definitely see your point. But I think the same would go for the Battle Tents, unless their difficulty was lowered. At least for myself, I always had the worst time in any sort of Frontier-esque facility without at least an EV-trained team. But as long as you can keep up with at least the more basic berries, you could actually stand a fighting chance in the Contests as you go along.

*OOH, great point; I forgot about the Poke Marts being consolidated within Pokemon Centers! If that practice is maintained, there is extra space indeed! ^^ (although what will happen to the wonderful Poke Mart music? Will it be restricted to just the Lilycove Department Store? :()! If that's the case, I would love it if clothing stores replaced Poke Mart areas, so the Battle Tent areas could still be used for something battle-oriented! (like Battle Institute or Battle Chateau)
    Sadly I think the music will stay delegated to the Department Store...
    It's been that way starting in gen 5. Perhaps some smaller shops will open up throughout Hoenn which utilize the music (like in Kalos with the PokéBall shop and such). There definitely is a bitter herbs shop that it could be used for, at least.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Instead of stopping halfway through your journey in Lillycove to do all the Contests, you were instead encouraged to do them as you progressed through the story, which helped give you some breaks in-between all the battles.

This is one major point that should be expressed to the Battle Tents. They simply added a new way of battling which for all the effort rewarded something lame imo. If it had a bit more spice, or something that doesn't involve battling with Pokémon, but rather doing something like Pokéathlon, they would have worked out. This goes for the Trainer Hill as well.

Back