• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon Brown 2009 [Final Dungeon Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2013
Also, there's a Bird Keeper near Owsauri (I think), who says "Fearow. Kill." before the battle, and then calls out a Spearow followed by a Natu. :paranoid:
Either it's a glitch or he's quite a bit ahead in time. :P

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years
Since there are two game breaking glitches, I've decided to put a new update on there. It fixes that house and makes it so gastlies aren't in Slowpoke well anymore. Just patch to a clean Red ROM.

And Mattman I just tried everything you said and nothing glitchy happened. Ditto knows transform, AND the Good rod giver works fine.

And herr, that trainer is trying to make his Spearow something it's not. See, I'm adding depth to non important NPC's.

Last edited:

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
Years
It doesn't matter, niether glitches are gamebreaking. The one with the ditto only happened once, and that was near the sign-switch at the top right. The other one... I don't know. Also, I did find another glitch, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was...

Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2016
So yeah, I just beat the game (well, all that there is to do so far), and I must say, it was an amazing experience. It was great being able to go back to the first generation, but with all these new additions that made it feel like it's own new game. It was very well done and I had a great time the whole way through, the areas were well designed, the story had some intriguing elements, and just overall, things like the new Poke'mon, etc. helped made it into an experience I never thought would've been possible before. Amazing job, and I eagerly await the Final Quest, and the whole "Think there's only 220 Poke'mon? Think again." thing has me very intriguied as well. I personally hope that the Final Quest included high leveled Poke'mon with levels ranging from level 70 to above, for added challenge :P

One thing though, now, this is just my opinion on the matter (it's not a glitch or anything), and I can understand if you made it that way because it's the way you wanted it:
Spoiler:

Also, another thing I've noticed though, some of the TMs are randomly screwed up for some Poke'mon. Like, I could teach Scyther Swift, but then once I evolved it into a Scizor, it couldn't learn Swift by TM (but at the same time, I saw that one Scizor in that cave by the first town use Swift). Also, one question, why is Shadow Ball a Dark type move? Is that on purpose? Also, why can't Crobat learn it? It could always learn it in the other games :P

Anyway, the game's been amazing up to this point, like I've said, and I can not wait enough for that Final Quest :P Don't feel rushed or anything though, take your time on completing it, and when you feel it's ready, then release it, we can wait, don't worry :)

poddish

Spirit Of Radio
Years
The "ditto's secret move" glitch is still in (since the original red) [If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's the one that allows ditto to get a nameless move that's hex number is 00. However, the type is now "normal" instead of "cooltrainer"]
When you try to use pp up, it still says that it can't be used, and if you use an ether on the glitch move, the game freezes if used on the first slot. The second slot also is nameless, but
ether can be used on it. (the past two apply to switching moves 1 with 2) The third move also allows ether to be used, but the fourth slot glitches up. (for switching 3 and 1) or the 3rd move glitches up when ether is used, but the 4th move allows ether to be used (for move 4 with 1)

However, it is pointless to use ether because in battle, only the 1st move can be used (at least I don't know how to use them)

Depending on which two moves are switched, the number of blank moves changes (only 2 if you switch the 1st 2 moves and 4 if you switch the 1st move with the 3rd or 4th) and the effect of ether changes too (no matter what, using ether on the 1st will freeze the game, but use it on the 2nd move, and it works)

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
So far the new Brown has been amazing, I really like the fact that you left a lot of the original Green, Red, Blue and Yellow sprites in. Though, there are some slight problems, on an emulator the game works fine, but when I transfer it to my gameboy flash cart the new added sprites have horizontal lines through them as if someone used the Microsoft paint eraser to create them. The only reason I know it isn't my gameboy is because the old sprites work fine. (trainer sprites etc.) It is just a glitch which I would like to poinnt out but it doesn't detract from the overall experience:).

pizzakoe

Experienced Spriter
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
could you show/give us some more hints for the next release, please?
Is the final version going to be in color?

Years
  • Seen Jun 3, 2021
its in SGB colors, but i think he means GBC colors like the screenshots that MMM posted. I guess that the answer will be "no"

Most original Game Boy games were programmed to have only very limited palettes as the Game Boy could only display white (greenish on the original), black and grey.

Some games like Pokemon had the ability to change the white, grey and black into other various colors when played on a Super game Boy, but this feature was still severely limited.

So basically, what you see now on the latest version of Brown is the most colorized the game will ever be, simply due to the fact that's it's an original game boy game and just isn't capable of anything better.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Most original Game Boy games were programmed to have only very limited palettes as the Game Boy could only display white (greenish on the original), black and grey.

Some games like Pokemon had the ability to change the white, grey and black into other various colors when played on a Super game Boy, but this feature was still severely limited.

So basically, what you see now on the latest version of Brown is the most colorized the game will ever be, simply due to the fact that's it's an original game boy game and just isn't capable of anything better.
There is very little technical difference between a game made for the original Game Boy and one made for the GBC. With ASM, it is possible to "convert" an older game to have proper GBC colors. This has been done by ROM hackers before—the first example I can think of is Metroid 2, but there have definitely been others. MeanMrMustard did some work on converting Brown to use GBC colors, but later dropped the project (and understandably so; it would be a lot of work).

A program called "GB Colorizer" was released several years ago and claimed to be able to convert black‐and‐white games to color games, but it rarely works, because different games are programmed in different ways and writing a generic tool to do this task on all ROMs is hopelessly impossible.

Ku-Ri-Boh!

Silent Trainer...
Years
Sorry sorry sorry i know i should apologize a lot before asking this stupid question..
Where can i find Johto starters so early on in the game? Everyone seems to be talking about them but i just can't find them anywhere.. Also, where're the 3 dogs? And what should i do after the E4?... Sorry again

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
Years
Ku-Ri-Boh! said:
Sorry sorry sorry i know i should apologize a lot before asking this stupid question..
Where can i find Johto starters so early on in the game? Everyone seems to be talking about them but i just can't find them anywhere.. Also, where're the 3 dogs? And what should i do after the E4?... Sorry again

1.Search the thread...its already been answered...But...I'll tell you anyway...the game corner...
2.The three Dogs...and the three birds...Have the same location...but its completely random if you get the dog...or the bird...(Its Very Confusing...) I'll give you the locations...
Articuno/Suicune-The Cave to the left of Eagalu...(Misspelled?) Park...Requires Strength and Surf...
Zapdos/Raikou-The Power plant...
Moltres/Entei-A cave to the north of the players home town...Requires Strength and Surf...
3.Hm...Try to catch all the available pokemon...since...The Final Quest is not yet complete...

Last edited:

insectduel

ROM-Hacker, YouTube content creator
Years
Where can i find Johto starters so early on in the game? Everyone seems to be talking about them but i just can't find them anywhere.. Also, where're the 3 dogs?

The 3 dogs aren't supposed to be easy to catch. I only caught Raikou with a Master Ball.

Each starter at the Game Corner costs 2500 coins. I'm still working on the game corner episode to show you all how I do the slots to gain coins easier.

I got Totodile by trading from Crystal version. Seriously. Couldn't wait to get one

pizzakoe

Experienced Spriter
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
AAH! we haven't heard anything from you for 2 weeks!
Are you that busy with Pokemon Brown?
Can you please show us some more details of the final quest?
I'm sorry, I'm becomming impatiant, I hope you'll understand!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 16, 2020
I'm not sure if it is me or the games but getting a trouble in it. I'm using the Lameboy emulator for the DS (using version 3.0 not 3.3). After the battle with the REPAIR MAN at his losing line, with constantly makes a collection of glitchy sound and music for a LONG time and then his losing line appears. It also does this when I talk to him after he lost but not before the battle. It only does it on him (so far) Will version 3.3 fix this?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I'm not sure if this has been asked already but where to get Strenght ?
I'm stuck in Eagulou City because I don't have it.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2009
Is it just happening for me or does Razor Leaf always crit for everybody?

I literally mean it. It crits every single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back