• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Card Question from Clueless mother

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2016
    Please Help A Clueless Mother wanting to ask the Pokemon community experts a question about the Pokemon Trading Cards and I do apologise in advance to the Pokemon Aficionados who might find my question stupid and pointless in answering when the question being asked is for a young child who yes I'll admit probably doesn't really appreciate Pokemon card collecting like some collectors out there so I do apologise to those who are serious collectors but please keep in mind I did state I'm clueless about Pokemon and please try to be as kind as possible with your responses as I've never joined a community forum before but I am well aware of trolling and how forums can be filled with nasty and cruel responses from people.

My Question:
    Recently my young child (5 years old) has started collecting the Pokemon cards due to them being popular at school and all the other kids collecting them. Anyway as stated I am really clueless about all things Pokemon and so I am having difficulties when my child asks me questions about the cards but I do try my best by searching for the answers on google but I am currently stumped with the latest question asked about a card. I understand the Pokemon trading cards have a symbol on them (top right corner) however the card in question my child has asked about is slightly different as it has 2 symbols. The symbols are the green grass leaf + I think the other is called dark or darkness energy. The card is a Stage 2 Shiftry with 140 HP, so I was wondering if the card is meant to have the 2 symbols or is it perhaps a flawed printing error ???

Attachments

• Pokemon Card Question from Clueless mother
      image.jpg
      697.3 KB · Views: 7
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2017
    it means the pokemon both attribute which is dark n leaf.

if u son jst started u could let him try playing pokemon tcgo which available on android/pc to help him familiarized with the rules/strats.
    they block chat when ingame so its safer if u afraid he meet people with strong languange.

also theres several u tube channel where ur son could watch people playing like
    yellowswellow
    derrium
    and others(not remember anymore channel) lol

Years
    Please Help A Clueless Mother wanting to ask the Pokemon community experts a question about the Pokemon Trading Cards and I do apologise in advance to the Pokemon Aficionados who might find my question stupid and pointless in answering when the question being asked is for a young child who yes I'll admit probably doesn't really appreciate Pokemon card collecting like some collectors out there so I do apologise to those who are serious collectors but please keep in mind I did state I'm clueless about Pokemon and please try to be as kind as possible with your responses as I've never joined a community forum before but I am well aware of trolling and how forums can be filled with nasty and cruel responses from people.

My Question:
    Recently my young child (5 years old) has started collecting the Pokemon cards due to them being popular at school and all the other kids collecting them. Anyway as stated I am really clueless about all things Pokemon and so I am having difficulties when my child asks me questions about the cards but I do try my best by searching for the answers on google but I am currently stumped with the latest question asked about a card. I understand the Pokemon trading cards have a symbol on them (top right corner) however the card in question my child has asked about is slightly different as it has 2 symbols. The symbols are the green grass leaf + I think the other is called dark or darkness energy. The card is a Stage 2 Shiftry with 140 HP, so I was wondering if the card is meant to have the 2 symbols or is it perhaps a flawed printing error ???

The normal version of that particular card would have the two energy symbols for the declaring the card's types, and as Echimaru says, that means the card is both types at the same time.

However, the version your son has is still a counterfeit, but for other reasons. I've circled them in the picture I've posted below, and will list what's wrong with them below the picture, as well as post a picture of an official version of the card below that.

Spoiler:

1. Wrong image used for this attack's energy symbol. It does use one Grass energy, but it's the wrong image used. This particular thing is common with energy symbols on counterfeits where they use an energy symbol that's cut off and/or flat.
    2. The word "weakness" is in the wrong font and is not bolded. On an official card, this would be in a slightly different font and it would be bolded.
    3. The "x2" is definitely in the wrong font.
    4. Wrong image for the energy symbol was used. It's the correct type, but not the correct image. Notice how, like the other one I circled, it's kind of flat compared to the ones that I did not circle elsewhere on the card?
    5. The word "retreat" is in the wrong font and is not bolded like it should be.
    6. The word "resistance" is in the wrong font and is not bolded like it should be.
    7. The text inside this box is in the wrong font.
    8. This symbol here is not the correct symbol used to mark what set the card is from.
    9. I'm not actually sure this text is incorrect, but I had circled it because something about it seemed off to me. It might be the wrong size.

I'm sure there's more wrong with it, too. That's just the stuff that stood out to me.

Below is a picture taken by the company that makes the cards of the official version of this card for some comparisons (unfortunately, they did not use a high quality scan):

Pokemon Card Question from Clueless mother

Back