• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Catching Habits?

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
Years

• How long does it take you to catch your first Pokemon?

How picky are you?

I used to just catch the first cool-looking Pokemon I saw, but now I just focus on my starter, go solo for a while, and then catch a Pokemon if it's one that I know evolves into something that I want. I also like to be a hipster and not end up catching the same first bird Pokemon as everyone else :cool:

As for picky-ness? Well.. I'd say I can get very picky... I'm already at 3 badges through Black and I've only gotten 2 Pokemon on my team ssoo... yeah, I guess I'm very picky.

Sirfetch’d

I usually catch the generic bird or bug pokemon at the beginning. Takes about one poke ball.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I tend to catch any Pokemon I have not caught yet, but if I catch one that I don't really like (like Pidgey, Rattata, Zubat, Caterpie, Weedle, just to name few) I will leave them in the PC at the nearest Pokemon Center. I'm also kind of 'picky' too.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I have a habit of resetting for my first Pokemon's nature and IVs, so it usually takes me from a minute to several hours to get the right first Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2020
    I usually catch the first normal or flying type found at the first route. (Rattata, Pidgey, etc.)

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2015
    I personally try catching any sort of pokemon for my collection, seldom do they go into my parties though.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I catch the first one I can. I have a habit to really catch them all =D
    But first addition to party usualy is after first or second gym.
    Before that, I go solo run with starter.
    Though in B2W2, Riolu is available before the first gym so that might be the only game where first addition to party is before the first gym :D (if I don't decide to use Butterfree in Kanto games)

Kieran_90

That guy that you think you remember
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2015
    I am absurdly picky. For instance, I keep resetting, just to get a female/shiny starter (once I got a shiny Squirtle!).
    I usually plan my team before starting the game, but catch every pokemon, and shove them in a PC. I usually have a team of three/four for the E4, six after postgame.

Years
  • I plan on catching everything I see so I can fill the Pokedex.

However, if I'm catching something to use on my main team I am extremely picky with natures. If I catch something and its nature cuts its main attacking stat I just go back and catch another one. For example I would never use an Adamant Chandelure or Modest Scrafty.

I also used to only catch female Pokemon unless if its gender ratio leans towards male. I stopped that as of B/W but my team still ended up female-dominant.

Types also play a part. I always catch at least one Grass-type, Fire-type, Water-type and Flying-type for my team. The remaining two slots go to random types.

Last edited:

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • I tend to catch every Pokemon that I don't have. Sure, most of them end up being thrown into the PC and never used again, but I like having all of these Pokemon available to me if I happen to need them. After all, my goal was to fill up the Pokedex by catching as many of the creatures as possible.

What Pokemon do I keep with me though? I try to catch one Water type, one Fire type, one Grass type and one Electric type. The remaining spaces tend to be odd balls, although a psychic type often finds its way in there somewhere. I tend to be at a bit of a loss if it's difficult to pick up one of these Pokemon early in the game, which was my biggest problem with Black/White. The only Pokemon you can catch early on are normal and dark types. D:

Natures don't really bother me. I'd be happy to get a nature that compliments the Pokemon but I really couldn't care less about it.

Although I don't do it on purpose, the gender balance always tends to be pretty even. Usually it's three male Pokemon and three female Pokemon. Sometimes I'll catch a specific gender if there's some kind of bonus in it (such as female Combee being the only kind that evolves), but usually it doesn't matter.

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2013
    Quite picky, I have several criteria to whether on not put a Pokemon in my party, here are some:
    *Cannot be pure-normal type.
    *Must evolve or have a pre-evolution.
    *Must have one water type.
    *Must have one fire type.
    *Must have one grass type.
    *The fourth slot tends to be reserved for either a Psychic/Dark/Ghost.
    *The fifth slot tends to be reserved for either a Rock/Ground/Steel
    *The sixth slot tends to be reserved for either a Fighting/Flying/Electric/Bug
    *Poison types are okay to fill either 4th,5th, or 6th slot, but only in extreme cases.
    *If I find a dragon, it can replace either 4th, 5th, or 6th slot.
    *I shall almost only use ice-types if they have secondary typing.
    *Must not have legendary Pokemon.
    *I always limit myself to only one pseudo-legendary.
    *I rarely use two Pokemon of the same type.
    *I frequently use Pokemon with two types.

So yeah.

F1refly

Stuff and things
    Years
  • In general, I try and catch one of every pokemon, regardless of gender or level. However, in Black and White I'm only catching pokemon that appeal to me. I generally do this on the first playthrough, then on the next few playthroughs I try and catch everything.

TY

I am really... REALLY picky with my first catch...

My first catch on Black was a Roggenrola, so thats far from the beginning tho haha...

Years
  • I have the habit of catching every single Pokemon obtainable from a single route before moving on. (: I like to think of my pokedex as I advance through the game.

Inferna

hello stranger, i'm a disaster
    Years
  • When I'm not Nuzlocking I catch Pokemon as an when I need them, post game I catch everything to fill up my dex. When I restart I like to catch and train Pokemon I've never used before. My first Pokemon is usually the regional bird/normal type and end up getting boxed.
    My team usually consists of: fire type/flying type/electric type/water as a core and then I add a 'tough guy' rock/ground/steel/fighting for my 5th slot and whatever else I fancy using for my 6th.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm not picky with Pokemon, unless it's for a challenge or I really need a specific nature or ability or whatever. For example, in an NFE challenge, I wanted a +sp att Jigglypuff since I wouldn't be able to evolve it. And right now, I'm doing a challenge that revolves around certain Pokemon representing a certain gender and I can only catch females. I'm more lenient on natures in-game of course, however if they're that bad, I'll usually try to find something else, unless it took a long time, like Riolu and Eevee in Black 2 omg.

I also like using things that aren't Pokeballs, haha. Love, Dive, Premier, and Luxury balls are probably some of my favorites. I just don't like having my whole team in the same kind of ball. I'm an aesthetic person, haha.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I've never been too picky one what I catch. But I am picky on what I use. Sometimes I catch stuff just too raise my pokedex so I could get items from say Oaks Aides or to complete at the very least my regional dex. Most of the time I usually catch the regional bird so it doesn't take that long and then a bug so I can have it learn Cut if at all possible.

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2016
    Well it depends on if I want to use the regional bird or not. Usually I will and that takes up my second slot of my party, other times I will wait for something better.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2012
    I catch any pokemon i don't have already. even legendary pokemon, i have the Musketeer trio in my p.c and i don't use them ,speaking of witch if any one is in the market for a cobalion i would trade it for a dexoeys my fiend code is 1722 0343 4470 i play white version and my user name is joe

Back