• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Clones

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Move this if it better fits Pokemon General, I guess?

Every video game franchise that does well has video games accused of being "clones" of it, and there are plenty of monster collecting franchises people have accused of being "Pokemon Clones" or "Ripoffs" such as Digimon and Monster Rancher. Although, Digimon on its own is actually vastly different from the Pokemon games.

Anyway, what video games did you find to be "Pokemon clones", or whatever?

There's three that come to mind to me:

-Telefang: This franchise isn't relevant anymore, but back in the late 90s/early 00s, Chinese bootleggers brought this game to the US by selling them as "rare" Pokemon games named "Pokemon Diamond and Jade". Funnily enough, even though they were renamed Pokemon Diamond/Jade the creatures were called "Electric Monsters". Anyway, in Telefang, you collect these creatures called Denjuu by getting their phone numbers. It's similar to Pokemon in that there's random encounters and the creatures evolve, along with there being two versions instead of one single game. Although, there's a lot more luck involved in battles. It got a sequel game that was also a paired version. The story in Telefang is pretty different, though, from what I've seen. There's a team working on a better English translation patch rn, but I won't link it.

-Crystal Monsters: (Or Monster Chronicle in Japanese) I played this one. This one is another monster collecting game w/ some of Pokemon mechanics: random encounters, capturing monsters, breeding and evolution. There's trainer battles, also, but there aren't really a lot of them, so grinding is annoying in these games. You also get a starter that's either Water/Fire/Plant like Pokemon. Unlike Pokemon, though, when your monsters evolve all they do is change color and gain "plus" or "mega" in their name. There's, I think, 9 types in this game, but I forget. Other similarities this game had to Pokemon was there being some sort of evil team, but the game differs with you having to fight bosses known as "final" monsters of all the 9(?) types. And battles are all 3-on-3, and you have to time all your hits on a circle on the bottom screen.

From my experience, this games really isn't that good. I played with all three starters, and the game was just...boring and repetitive. And loading into the game takes a long while for no good reason. The monsters are really not that greatly designed, either, and the fact evolution just changes the monster's color is really lame. Please don't buy this game on the Nintendo 3DS shop.

-Robopon: This one is an example of the "can I copy your homework" meme, full scale. These games, at least the first one, were extremely blatant on getting a piece of Pokemon's popularity. Robopon also had the "game versions" thing going for it. It released three versions: Sun/Moon/Star. Instead of monsters, however, this game had robots you collect, power up and evolve. The most blatant example of copying Pokemon was the fact this game had an elite eight.

I've heard, though, that it's really only the first set of games that tried to blatantly copy Pokemon, and that the GBA games weren't as similiar. I tried playing Robopon at some point, but I wasn't able to get very far, and gave up.

I'm sure there are many other games that could be seen as "Pokemon clones", but these are the three, to me, that are most similar to Pokemon. The first and last one came out in the late 90s during the Pokemon boom, while Crystal Monsters released in 2008, when Pokemon was a pretty well established franchise already.

Btw, I have never considered Digimon a "Pokemon clone" since, Digimon did NOT start out as a video game, but a digital pet game, akin to Tamagochi. I also don't think all monster collecting games are "Pokemon Clones". There are plenty that are pretty different, but just have the concept of battling and collecting monsters.

But, yeah, that's all I have to say. What games do you think would be considered "Pokemon Clones"?

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Pokemon is itself a "clone" of Dragon Quest V, which had monster capture gameplay first nearly four years previously, as it was released in late 1992 compared to Pokemon's early 1996. Pokemon may have popularised monster catching, but it wasn't the first game series to utilise the gameplay mechanic. As "clone" is generally a derogatory term used to describe a game that capitalises on the popularity of an existing franchise, I think the term can apply if we're going to throw it around in any context here, because Dragon Quest is HUGE in Japan, and as both series originated from there...yeah.

I've never played any games I would consider to be Pokemon clones, because other games I've played that have utilised the monster capture gameplay mechanic haven't revolved solely around it, and have actually bothered to add things like a narrative, which Pokemon has never had. Pokemon relies on creature collection to the detriment of everything else within the game, whereas other titles that have an element of that in them - such as the Digimon Story titles - have a story to go with it, and have made the mechanic far more complex than it is in Pokemon...in the aforementioned games, you can digivolve AND de-digivolve across numerous pathways, so you have a lot more options. Even series like Persona let you fuse together different Persona for new ones, rather than just capture and use them as-is like Pokemon. I know that games that are more faithful to Pokemon's established formula exist, but I've never been all that interested in them.

Years
  • temtem and micromon are very similar! there are quite a few monster collecting games for mobile that're available. i tried micromon and enjoyed it, though i wish it had a little bit more to do post game. both of these are near carbon copies, though they have their own charms. never played temtem personally, though i'd like to.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • temtem and micromon are very similar! there are quite a few monster collecting games for mobile that're available. i tried micromon and enjoyed it, though i wish it had a little bit more to do post game. both of these are near carbon copies, though they have their own charms. never played temtem personally, though i'd like to.

What's Micromon? I've never heard of that one before! I've heard of Nexomon before, but never that game.

Years
  • What's Micromon? I've never heard of that one before! I've heard of Nexomon before, but never that game.

pokémon-like game for mobile! it's not free, costs a dollar i think? i enjoyed it, though it was pretty controversial at the time since it was so similar to pokémon in a lot of aspects. can see some gameplay here (battles around the 15:37 mark)

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I may just be a little too much to create an original game with a bunch of original creatures for there to exist a lot of Pokemon clones. Maybe gacha games would fit into the category? Granted, they aren't really about exploration more about getting your money; but at least they tend to have a hugh cast to draw from.

In terms of JRPGs the ones I could imagine are the Megami Tensei, Yokai Watch and Suikoden series as well as Xenoblade 2 that have mechanics revolving around more complex team compositions.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Temtem doesn't even hide the fact that they made it to be a Pokémon MMO. It's supposedly lots of fun!

Years
  • It feels like a lot of Pokémon-like games are being developed or released lately. I think lot of them do "Pokémon" better than Pokémon games lately.

Temtem is great. I don't think I had that much fun with Pokémon in years. It needs some balancing and I'm not really a fan of MMO aspect of the game, but otherwise it's really a fresh take on Pokémon formula. It's sad that some Pokémon fans felt the need to review bomb it.

Another "clone" that comes to mind is Yo-Kai Watch. I recently replayed first game from 2013 and the amount of features that Pokémon then straight up copied in Gen VII and VIII (Z-Moves, talking "dex" companion and regional variants for example) is god damn high. And I'm not even talking about how different 1st Switch game is compared to 3DS titles, in comparison to... you know.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Yeah, Pokemon really did borrow a lot of stuff Yo-Kai Watch 1 seemed to do...

Since I'm here, this is just something I wanted to mention quickly, another Pokemon like game is coming out on the Switch/PS4/etc called Nexomon Extinction. I don't know much about the Nexomon franchise. Is that game very Pokemon-like?

Back