• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon CMS Tutorial

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
Years
  • Hey, wasup guys, this is my first tutorial so be easy on me now. Well, pretty much I'm going to teach you how to make a pokemon style CMS as seen ion Pokemon Liquid. Now I won't take all credit for this as most of you know Liquid was started by RM2K3KID and he started the CMS and got everything in place, I however put in labels and improved it alot and nmade it what it is now. So, here's what you'll need to mkke a CMS:

1.Knowledge of variables, labels, switches, pictures, and conditional
    statements, anlso known as fork options.
    2.Pictures of the menu. I'm sure there are some in the resource thread, but
    I'm not going to put the ones that I use up, It'll push you towards making
    your own menus, which I plan to do in the future.
    3.The example I'm going to use, actually from Liwuid, uses a beep like in
    the pokemon games and iit adds more effect to it, but It's NOT
    NECCESSARY!

At First, I'll only put the coding up for the pokedex at the beginning of the menu, and over time I'll add more and more to this tutorial, but I know alot of people out there need to know how to code one, so here it goes.

First, create three new common events in the database. N ame them what you want but I call them MenuReady, Main Menu, and MainMenuFull.

For MenuReady, make it a parallel process and make the "trigger switch" a swich named something like Menu Enable/Disable. That enable the menu o be open, so if you disable that switch at any time, you'll disable the menu.
    Here's a picture with discriptions for this small code.
    Pokemon CMS Tutorial

Okay, so now that ou've got that coded, lets move on. Now the next code is waaaaaayyyyy too long to just put a picture up, so there will only be text.

Make a new common event like above but this time name it main menu full, I won't show you how to make the Main Menu that has no pokedex cause all you have to do is delete the pokedex section, use a smaller picture and adjust some of the coordinates. Make the event Auto Start with the trigger switch MenuOpenFull, used in our MenuReady event.
    Here's the coding

<>Wait: 0.0 Sec
    <>Play Sound: MenuOpen *Just a sound, unneccesary
    <>Show Picture: 4, Menu 2 Bottom, (160,120) *the background of the menu
    <>Show Picture: 5, MSG - Arrow, (259,72) *the cursor picture
    <>Show Picture: 6, PokeDex - Description Bottom, (160,120) *Bottom of the description of the menu, like in FR/LG
    <>Show Picture: 8, PokeDex - Description Top, (120,160) *The actual description in words
    <>Show Picture: 7, Menu 2 Top, (160,120) *The Main Menu picture
    **************PokeDex**************
    <>Label: 1
    <>Key Input Proc: [0006:Button Use] *Allows buttons to be recognized
    <>Branch if Var [0006:Button Use] is 1 *If you press down, then
    <>Play Sound: MenuCursor *Plays the beep menu sound
    <>Move Picture: 5, (259,87), 0.0 Sec (Wait) *Moves the Cursor down to the next menu option
    <>Show Picture: 8, Pokemon - Description, (160,120) *changes the descriptoin to the next menu option down
    <>
    :Else Handler
    <>Branch if Var [0006:Button Use] is 4 *If you press up, then
    <>Play Sound: MenuCursor
    <>Move Picture: 5, (259,162), 0.0 Sec (Wait) *moves the pictures down to the last menu option, exit
    <>Show Picture: 8, Exit - Decription, (160,120) *Shows the description for the new menu option highlighted
    <>Jump To Label: 7 *Jump to the Exit section
    <>
    <>Branch if Var [0006:Button Use} is 5 *If you press enter then
    <>Hide Screen: Fade Out *Screen fades out
    <>Sprite Transparency: Transparent *makes the hero invisible
    <>Memorize Location: [0015], [00016], [0017] *memorizes your x, y, and direction you're facing
    <>Teleport: 0043: POKeDEX (019,000), Retain Facing *Teleport to the pokedex map, I use a map with a bg pic forthe pokedex
    <>Show Screen: Fade in *Screen fades back in
    <>Jump to Label: 8 *jump to the end of the event which exits the menu
    <>
    <>Branch if Var [0006:Button Use] is 6 *If you press escape, then
    <>Erase Picture: 4
    <>Erase Picture: 5 *erases the pics of the menu
    <>Jump to Label: 8 *jump to the end of the event which exits the menu
    <>
    :End
    <>
    <>
    <>

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
    Years
  • Very Very good.
    I look forward to it to be worked on.

As you say they're a lot of people out thier who don't now how to make a CMS. It's not that hard but good ones are rare. It took me ages to make one and it wasn't very good and I ended up abandoning it.

please keep working on it because its going great.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2007
    ooh i'm a little bit confused ><
    i'm using rmxp in portuguese, i speak portuguese, i'm brazilian btw... but i dont found this in english ;/ and i prefer it ;P
    well, i dont undestand what i do to do the position of each image ;//
    can u help me? ;D

~Azura

Alright, purple is good.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    Lucie, you can't ask for help if you're using the Portuguese illegal version...

But what didn't you understand about image positioning? Maybe I can help...

PS: I'm from Brazil too =X *hides*

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
  • ooh i'm a little bit confused ><
    i'm using rmxp in portuguese, i speak portuguese, i'm brazilian btw... but i dont found this in english ;/ and i prefer it ;P
    well, i dont undestand what i do to do the position of each image ;//
    can u help me? ;D

Well, It'd be kinnda hard to explain if your program is in portugese and the instructions are in english.

~Azura

Alright, purple is good.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    I could translate it, but I don't use the portuguese version anymore, so it would be most inaccurate... I suppose he telling us the problem would be better.

~Azura.

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
    Years
  • Don't bother, if you can read english use the english version. And I know you can type english, so use english.

Can you do a CBS tut? That would help a lot of people to (me included) thanks.

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
  • Don't bother, if you can read english use the english version. And I know you can type english, so use english.

Well, I have to finish my CBs and finish this tut first. I think I'm gonna add the next section later.

~Azura

Alright, purple is good.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    You don't write them, you add events in the Event Editor (by double-clicking on Event Layer)

=)

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2007
    bah, i use the portuguese version because i dont find the english version ><
    i know, it is stupid, but i dont found ._.

well, my worst problem its to make the position of the images... i dont know how to do it... like, i dont know how to know the exactly position...

i'm needing a CBS tut too ><
    if someone can do it, i'll thank you ><

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2014
    hi I'm new here at pokecommunity. I'm making myself a pokemon rm2k3 game but I don't know how to make a pokedex. Can someone tell me how?

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2014
    Yes, thank you. And how can I have a battle w/o the trainer battling themselves?

Back