• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    won't run on linux: https://paste.dimdev.org/ugakowazug.pl
    I know it says it's for windows, but since it's java it should be able to run on linux without much effort
    this is the command I ran fyi
    Spoiler:

It doesn't run on Linux because there are some OpenGL libraries that are different from the ones used in Windows. Also there are some issues with the file pathing.
    Right now, I can't work on the Linux version, but @JackHack96 has been working on the Linux version of PDSMS, and he was able to run the program after importing the missing libraries and fixing part of the code. He is planning to upload the program, so Linux users can enjoy PDSMS too. :)
    As soon as he releases the program, I will be posting it here.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Pokemon DS Map Studio 1.9 is out!

This version includes the following features and bugfixes:
    -Added NSBTX exporter. Now the program can export NSBTX with custom textures. Palettes available are 4, 16, 256 colors and semitransparent A3I5, and A5I3
    -Added color format option to the material editor
    -Solved a bug related with the Undo/Redo buttons when changing layers
    -Solved a bug related with the IMD exporter that was producing extra vertex normals

You can download it here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/csasmfxpse4l8io/PokemonDsMapStudio_1_9.rar/file
    The source code for this version is not available for now.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2021
    I tried running the .jar file with cmd, but I get this error:

Spoiler:

So I'm not an expert java programmer, so does anyone know what this means?

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    I tried running the .jar file with cmd, but I get this error:

Spoiler:

So I'm not an expert java programmer, so does anyone know what this means?

Okay, let's try to fix it.
    Do you know if you have a 32-bit? Or you have a 64-bit computer?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2021
    Here:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Here:
    Spoiler:

Hmm, I think that the problem is related with your Java version. I should investigate why my program doesn't run properly in Java 10, but it will take some time.
    For now, you can try to download Java 8: https://www.java.com/es/download/windows-64bit.jsp. After you install Java 8, check in the windows prompt that you have the Java 8 version by repeating the "java -version" command, and then try to run PDSMS again.
    I'm not 100% sure that this will solve the problem but it should help.

EDIT: Sorry, I gave you the Java 8 link in Spanish. This is the right one: https://java.com/en/download/

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
    Years
  • It doesn't run on Linux because there are some OpenGL libraries that are different from the ones used in Windows. Also there are some issues with the file pathing.
    Right now, I can't work on the Linux version, but @JackHack96 has been working on the Linux version of PDSMS, and he was able to run the program after importing the missing libraries and fixing part of the code. He is planning to upload the program, so Linux users can enjoy PDSMS too. :)
    As soon as he releases the program, I will be posting it here.
    I'm sorry for the late answer, but I'm busy doing my master thesis at the university.

I'm attaching the 1.8 test version for Linux if you want to try it out. Be aware that it cannot be used fully as g3dcvtr is only available for Windows (it works under wine, but I still have to patch PDSMS to use it).

Attachments

• PokemonDsMapStudioLinux.zip
      4.4 MB · Views: 4
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    I'm sorry for the late answer, but I'm busy doing my master thesis at the university.

I'm attaching the 1.8 test version for Linux if you want to try it out. Be aware that it cannot be used fully as g3dcvtr is only available for Windows (it works under wine, but I still have to patch PDSMS to use it).

Thanks a lot! :D I will put it in the main post. I will upload the source code of version 1.10, instead of uploading the source of 1.9.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Pokemon DS Map Studio 1.11 Version is out!

It has the following features:
    • Border maps added for visually helping the map creation
    • IMD Exporter now indexes textures automatically (even semitransparent!) using k-means clustering algorithm
    • IMD Exporter now supports textures that share the same palette
    • Tileset editor allows the use of external image editors
    • Tileset editor "replace" and "update" texture buttons have been added
    • OBJ exporter bug fixed: now transparent textures are exported properly
    • Now the map's name is shown in the window title

Download link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/eevk0os2kwbr4br/PokemonDsMapStudio_1_11.rar/file

You can see some of the new changes in this video:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Stupid question but how I can export a map of Spinky's DS Map Editor and open with your tool?

PD: I really really love it this tool. I never try made a rom hacking in DS because I think that is a long process create a simple map, export, edit the tiles, etc. but with your tool I have hope in myself <3
    PD2: In 6 years this is my first posts in the forum. XD

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Stupid question but how I can export a map of Spinky's DS Map Editor and open with your tool?

PD: I really really love it this tool. I never try made a rom hacking in DS because I think that is a long process create a simple map, export, edit the tiles, etc. but with your tool I have hope in myself <3
    PD2: In 6 years this is my first posts in the forum. XD

It's not a silly question! :D Unfortunately, it is not possible (and it will never be) because all the maps are saved inside the game in a format (NSBMD) that groups all the tiles into a single element that we call map. These maps can't be transformed into tiles again, so SDSME will export only a joinded "chunk" map that can't be splitted into tiles automatically. The explanation is a bit technical and I won't get into it.

Anyway, if you want to edit the original maps, you would have to export the map as OBJ using SDSME. Then open the OBJ in a modelling editor, such as Blender or Sketchup, manually get the tiles that the map uses, export each one of them as OBJ, import them into PDSMS and then redraw the map from scratch with the changes you want.

EDIT: You can follow this tutorial for importing tiles into the tool. It requires the use of Blender or Sketchup:

PD: I'm glad that you like the tool ^^ If you have more questions or any problem, feel free to ask

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Pokemon DS Map Studio 1.12 is out!

It has the following new features:
    • The IMD exporter now supports materials with the same texture but different palette
    • The Map editor display now shows some tiles of the maps sorrounding it
    • New dialog for creating new maps and choosing tilesets
    • New tilesets (credits to Driox)

It has the following bugfixes:
    • Now you can right click in the height editor for selecting the height from the map
    • Now when you right click in a tile, it will scroll the tile selector for showing the tile

You can download it here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/1ticjnpgl2pveqd/PokemonDsMapStudio_1_12.rar/file

You can see some of the new features in this video:

And also a couple of examples of complex maps made with the tool:

Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]

Original 2D maps by Phyromatical: https://www.deviantart.com/phyromatical/art/Commission-Forest-Route-537067007

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
    Years
  • Pokemon DS Map Studio 1.12 is out!

It has the following new features:
    • The IMD exporter now supports materials with the same texture but different palette
    • The Map editor display now shows some tiles of the maps sorrounding it
    • New dialog for creating new maps and choosing tilesets
    • New tilesets (credits to Driox)

It has the following bugfixes:
    • Now you can right click in the height editor for selecting the height from the map
    • Now when you right click in a tile, it will scroll the tile selector for showing the tile

You can download it here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/1ticjnpgl2pveqd/PokemonDsMapStudio_1_12.rar/file

You can see some of the new features in this video:

And also a couple of examples of complex maps made with the tool:

Original 2D maps by Phyromatical: https://www.deviantart.com/phyromatical/art/Commission-Forest-Route-537067007

So cool 😍

Back