• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2020
    This looks like it is going to be a gamechanging tool for DS Hacking! Brilliant work TrifindoRH!

I was just wondering however (Apologies if the answer to this is already somewhere, but I couldn't find one during an hour or so of searching) is it possible to import current maps into PDSMS?

3D model files that are exporting from SDSME export as .nsbmd , so I was wondering how do I go about converting them to a format we can open in PDSMS?
    I swear it probably involves Blender to import and export, but I am just wondering if there is another way / if this is correct

EDIT----------------

Just discovered your Youtube channel which had a tutorial to my question! Now I feel stupid 😅
    There are some great tutorials and examples there! Really looking forward to seeing more for BW and B2W2, as DPPt and HGSS look like they are really developed nicely and look awesome!

Many Thanks
    Mont

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    This looks like it is going to be a gamechanging tool for DS Hacking! Brilliant work TrifindoRH!

I was just wondering however (Apologies if the answer to this is already somewhere, but I couldn't find one during an hour or so of searching) is it possible to import current maps into PDSMS?

3D model files that are exporting from SDSME export as .nsbmd , so I was wondering how do I go about converting them to a format we can open in PDSMS?
    I swear it probably involves Blender to import and export, but I am just wondering if there is another way / if this is correct

EDIT----------------

Just discovered your Youtube channel which had a tutorial to my question! Now I feel stupid 😅
    There are some great tutorials and examples there! Really looking forward to seeing more for BW and B2W2, as DPPt and HGSS look like they are really developed nicely and look awesome!

Many Thanks
    Mont

Hi! Thanks for the support! I'm glad that you like the tool :D

About the first question, unfortunately it is impossible to import the maps directly from the game into PDSMS because the NSBMD format doesn't have tiles. Instead, it has a lot of geometry (triangles, quads) grouped by textures. So it's not possible to translate that directly into tiles.
    For getting tiles from the original maps of the game, you need to extract them one by one using Blender. I have a tutorial on my channel showing how to do it.

I'm currently working on the new version of PDSMS for making interior maps and fixing some issues. BW/BW2 maps still need more investigation, specially in everyting related with the map's collisions. So it will take some time for adding new features for those games.

If you have any question don't hesitate to ask! :D

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2020
    Thanks for the reply! The tool is awesome and I will be trying your tutorial at some point this week to see if I can achieve the same as you did

Really looking forward to seeing what you else you come up with! This is fantastic to see DS rom hacking getting such a boost by your hard work 👌

Acent

I found the hacking world is too big for me!
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2021
    Wow! What a wonderful tool! I'm thinking of making cave from this tool, so do you have a tilesets for Gen4 cave? or Do I have to make a tilesets?

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Wow! What a wonderful tool! I'm thinking of making cave from this tool, so do you have a tilesets for Gen4 cave? or Do I have to make a tilesets?

Thanks! :D There are some people working on tilesets for 4th gen, but they are not making tilesets for caves and interior maps. The reason is that those maps have what is known as vertex colors, which are used for giving some colors and details to the maps. And PDSMS doesn't support them.
    So you can create a cave tileset, but it won't have the same level of detail as the caves in the original game.
    Anyway, I'm working on adding vertex colors to the tool, so it will be possible in the future. So that we can make any kind of map :)

Acent

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2021
    Thank you so much for your quick reply! I'm looking forward your Update =)

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2022
    Heya :D

Every time i insert a new map the character walks under the inserted map...is there a fix for that ?

Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]

Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]

Edit: Just found out what i had been doing wrong...i forgot to change the BDHC Z Coordinates to the right number....

Edit2: I want to move the "warp" from the entrance to Lake Verity since in my new map its somewhere beneath the ground...is there a tool already that allows that ?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Heya :D

Every time i insert a new map the character walks under the inserted map...is there a fix for that ?

View attachment 91881

View attachment 91882

Edit: Just found out what i had been doing wrong...i forgot to change the BDHC Z Coordinates to the right number....

Edit2: I want to move the "warp" from the entrance to Lake Verity since in my new map its somewhere beneath the ground...is there a tool already that allows that ?

About the first question, you are right! You had to change the Z coordinate in the BDHC. That file handles the height of the players and sprites in the map.

For the warps you need to use SDSME or PPRE. I don't have much experience editing warps but in SDSME but you can open the event editor, and edit the warps for the map. Also you would need to edit the collisions of the map, and put a warp collision in the tile where you want to make the warp.
    The best way of doint it would be to see how it is done in the original maps.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2022
    Wow...didnt think an answer would come this fast...and yeah i will see how the warp collision is handled in other maps...i dont have much know how with scripts and such but it will work somehow...i think....

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Wow...didnt think an answer would come this fast...and yeah i will see how the warp collision is handled in other maps...i dont have much know how with scripts and such but it will work somehow...i think....

Nice! There is not much documentation about the topic though. But the key point is learning how the NDS map data is organized. Basically, if you know which map header is using your map, you will be able to know what scripts, events, textures and other stuff is using. You can see all of this using the Header editor in SDSME.

Anyway, if you have any question, feel free to ask, specially if it is related with mapping and Pokemon DS Map Studio. I don't know much about the other stuff haha

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2022
    Just noticed that i can really easy change warps to a wanted position via SDSME but it only lets me change the X and Y Variables...and not the Z one...and since i had to move the map to z:1 to get it in line with the normal maps it isnt rly easy at all

Edit: Seems like the Event editor is either not working or i´m just to dumb to find out the correct X and Y Cords XDDD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Pokemon DS Map Studio 1.17 is out!
    It has the following new features:
    -Vertex Colors! Now tiles can store vertex color information
    -Import tiles from external tilesets easily
    -New graphical interface for the tileset editor
    -New display options for the tile viewer
    -New tilesets! Credits to Jiboule, Nextworld and Jay
    -Bugfixes

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.mediafire.com/file/8poxs5b0jxv6aqj/PokemonDsMapStudio_1_17.rar/file

You can see the new features in this video:

Acent

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2021
    Wow! Sounds Great!
    I'm so happy to "Now tiles can store vertex color information".
    I'll try making some cave maps.
    Is creating custom tiles the same as before?

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Wow! Sounds Great!
    I'm so happy to "Now tiles can store vertex color information".
    I'll try making some cave maps.
    Is creating custom tiles the same as before?

Thanks for the comment! :D
    Sure! Custom tiles are created like before. The only change is that, if you want to use vertex colors, you have to paint the model after importing it. Also you have to enable a material property called "use vertex colors" for all the materials that use vertex colors.

Acent

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2021
    I got it !

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
    Years
  • Pokemon DS Map Studio 1.17 is out!
    It has the following new features:
    -Vertex Colors! Now tiles can store vertex color information
    -Import tiles from external tilesets easily
    -New graphical interface for the tileset editor
    -New display options for the tile viewer
    -New tilesets! Credits to Jiboule, Nextworld and Jay
    -Bugfixes

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.mediafire.com/file/8poxs5b0jxv6aqj/PokemonDsMapStudio_1_17.rar/file

You can see the new features in this video:

Always cool af.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Hi, how do I add/find tilesets to add, or, how can I import OBJ files into it?

Hi! For adding more tiles you need to follow the steps of this tutorial:

It requires knowing a bit of Blender or Sketchup.

EDIT: Also, other users are collaborating for adding new tiles. On each update the tool gets more tiles. I'm currently adding new tiles for HGSS

Back