• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Essentials Virus

Years
  • So apparently, after scanning the Pokemon Essentials download on VirusTotal.com, there seems to be viruses on the .zip file.
    I got the download from the Official Page.

pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Downloads

Here's an image of the VirusTotal scan results.
    prnt.sc/gc8luw

If anyone is able to contact the makers of this please direct them here.
    Also if anyone has a download that isn't infected with the viruses, please link me.

(Wasn't able to put https:// since I don't have 5 posts yet, so yeah, type that in for the links if needed!)

I know this program has been helpful for thousands of Pokemon players/game makers and I'm not assuming this was on purpose but it's still a big issue.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • As an IT professional this is actually pretty clean result from virustotal. There's no reason to be alarmed. If you'll notice the first result for the rising antivirus engine actually shows that it is a heuristic match. What a heuristic match means is that the antivirus is guessing that this might be a virus, not that it actually is.

A heuristic match might actually catch something that's a virus however it's not always perfectly correct as it's not a refined and confirmed signature or fingerprint for a virus. It is entirely a computer generated guess.

The other match on Virustotal is actually a pretty generic listing for something that it thinks might be a virus. That doesn't necessarily mean that it actually is a virus it may actually just be using a similar tactic in programming in order to achieve what you're telling it to do. Basically all that means is that the program is doing something that viruses may also sometimes abused in order to do their malicious things. But that does not actually mean that what you're looking at is actually a virus what it means is that the program is using something that looks like a virus but actually isn't, because it is actually being used the way it's intended to be used. Unfortunately some antiviruses like to stupidly Blacklist Snippets of code without respect or consideration of how that code operates in the context of the program that is embedded in.

Therefore I would almost always recommend that you ignore any results from virustotal that are not detected by more than 5 engines. I repeat A 5 engine match is necessary to ensure that you're not just getting false positive from an anti-virus engine.

It is however wise to become slightly suspicious if you get three or more hits. Just don't assume it's a virus because you get one or two hits on this website. Sometimes a detection engine can be wrong. Each detection engine that they use on virustotal has its strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Thank both of you <3, I was pretty skeptical at first but thank you for clearing this up for me. I ran it through those two antivirus @Pink as well as Bitdefender and they came out good. Glad for the quick feedback and help.

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Thank both of you <3, I was pretty skeptical at first but thank you for clearing this up for me. I ran it through those two antivirus @Pink as well as Bitdefender and they came out good. Glad for the quick feedback and help.

Just saying, Essentials wouldn't be up like that if it contained a virus.

Back