• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokemon Ethereal Gates

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Fernling, The Hatchling Pokemon (Grass/Flying)

Votes: 830 41.2%
  • Kittorch, The Kitten Pokemon (Fire)

Votes: 816 40.5%
  • Bubull, The Hippo Pokemon (Water)

Votes: 370 18.4%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2017
    This isn't a GBA game so you can't fast forward, unfortunately. I really dislike that too. As for the dialogue, I like it but Nintendo/GF wouldn't namedrop "god" and "lord" as much tho. They'd probably use "gosh" or something. Not that I'm religious or anything, I just noticed. I'm still just bothered' about the lag, I can't fix it.

RandomSpinda

You Spinda Right Round...
    Years
    -Sounds needs to have options so I can mute it if I want to

You can just mute the game using Windows.
    -Multiple unfinished sprites

Yeah, but ofc it's only a demo so they'll be obviously fixed in the actual release.
    -The return of HM's (There are so many creative ways to get around this like using multiple moves that work as HM's or using an item instead)

I guess they wanted to make it closer to the actual games. I wouldn't say that's too much of a bad thing, at least.

-some pokedex entries are wrong - jinkai says ghost, but is ghost/fairy, ottum has no type at all.

Actually, if you look at those in the Pokédex after the initial popup following you catching them, it's fixed. It also doesn't show height, weight or the species if you catch them for the first time. No clue why that happens. Does the Pokédex info that pops up directly after catching a pokemon use different data than the "regular" Pokédex?

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2019
    I recently got the demo, but when I get on the game, the screen is tiny. Is there a way to enlarge the screen or is that it's actual screen size?

Feraldonny

Lover, Rocker, Crazy Guy
    Years
    For all those asking for a bigger screen;
    They know, they will probably come with a fix for it in the next release.
    No need to post it a million times. xD

Temporary fixes:
    1. Press Alt+Enter
    2. Use Windows magnifier

Now, on to the review/feedback (Currently at the 2nd gym, grinding my way to being able to take it on.)

Pro's
    -The art, like... Wow, it's really quite good!
    -Interesting and unique fakemon designs.
    -Very much like a actual pokemon game (Although, it can be a downside, see below)
    -The music is great!
    -The quality overall feels very good.
    -The library, I think this needs a section of it's own, it felt scary at times and with all those books you can read it reveals a pretty dark storyline to come, and I absolutely LOVE it!

Cons
    -The lag, now I have quite a beefy computer but some areas/fights feel laggy.
    For example, whenever I have my Jinkai (The ghost/fairy type) in battle, my frames seem to drop to about half.
    Also, in the 2nd gym it lags, but knowing RPG maker xp, that's because there are a lot of events running at the same time in a small area.
    -Gyms, Honestly, I don't mind having tough gyms... but holy crap was the first one annoying.
    I wanted a full team but eventually settled on 2 pokemon that I would focus on so I could just beat the gym.
    and even then I had to spam double team and hope the swivel would miss.
    -It feels like a actual pokemon game, what I mean by this is for example, no exp share fairly early, no IV checkers, no speed up button and so on. (Things people usually put in pokemon hacks/etc to make the game a bit more bareable)
    -The grinding.
    This is my main annoyance, I've been grinding the past 2 hours in the patches before Alecat town and almost have 6 of my pokemon to lvl 20 (Sadly, no wild shinies yet. :( ) in my opinion you should not need to grind so much.
    So either fix the exp/encounter rates or put in a speed up button to make it a bit more bearable.
    -The game feels slow, well not really the game, but your character... Make his run a bit faster perhaps?

Bugs/glitches/other stuff

-Pokemon sprites being cut off. (Known issue)
    -Item in lighthouse crashing the game. (Known issue)
    -In the 2nd town where you fight your 2nd rival there's a spelling error, she says ''ore'' instead of ''More''
    -Tiny screen (Known issue)
    -Hunber not being able to evolve? (Heard mixed reports about this one)

Overall, I'll give it a current score of 7/10. (It would've been a 6/10, but it's a demo after all)
    But please... PLEASE fix the issues that there are right now, this game easily has the potential of becoming a better game than any normal pokemon game, as long as they get fixed.

Also, try to change a few movesets of current pokemon, Hunber for example learns barely any attacking moves and I'm forced to lick and fury swipe my enemy...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2015
    I'm so impressed by this game. more than 200 original Pokemon, beautiful graphics, interesting interface, and it's just amazing. I'm so blown away by it. But, I got a question, and maybe it's because I haven't read enough. I was wondering if the game REALLY is a demo. I would be disappointed if it is. I get that a game takes time to make, and really, take all the time you need if you're still developing. I just want to know if it's a full-game or not.

Feraldonny

Lover, Rocker, Crazy Guy
    Years
    I'm so impressed by this game. more than 200 original Pokemon, beautiful graphics, interesting interface, and it's just amazing. I'm so blown away by it. But, I got a question, and maybe it's because I haven't read enough. I was wondering if the game REALLY is a demo. I would be disappointed if it is. I get that a game takes time to make, and really, take all the time you need if you're still developing. I just want to know if it's a full-game or not.

Yes, the game is currently in demo.
    It ends a bit after the 2nd gym I believe.

EDIT: Just checked, it ''ends'' once you enter the forest after the 2nd gym... Enjoy the spoilers of what's to come!

Last edited:

SebiChecker1

Just lower your sound on the computer. There are no magical sound settings in game.

i dont know why but the sound is just really loud and I'd like to watch videos while playing... Could i maybe mute the game when i remove the sound data? (no offence to u i love the music but i cant play the game it's just to loud :/

Feraldonny

Lover, Rocker, Crazy Guy
    Years
    i dont know why but the sound is just really loud and I'd like to watch videos while playing... Could i maybe mute the game when i remove the sound data? (no offence to u i love the music but i cant play the game it's just to loud :/

You on windows?
    Right-click the 'speaker'' in the bottom right, click volume mixer and you can change the sound volume of anything that is producing sounds...

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Aw, what a cool ending. You guys at PerihelionProductions are real peaches. Here are my feedbacks (based on the demo, not counting obvious WIP like inanimated or cut-in-half sprites) :

-The most obvious first, graphics and musics are top-notch. Those are the best quality I ever saw in a fan-game. If it wasn't for the different art style used, you could swear it's made by GameFreak. Every environnement is beautiful and unique, from the colorful town full of flowers to the gloomy atmosphere of the haunted library.

-As a strategist myself, I really appreciate the risks you're taking with the new moves and the interesting double-type (Aerivore, Fly-Electric ? Good !). Also, reusable HMs, yeah ! I won't judge until the full dex is released, but your fakemons seem as promising as pretty.

-A good point for exploiting the universe of Pokemon. Something that GF just doesn't do usually (except maybe with B/W and its sequel where the champions were important to the plot). A nurse doing her social duty by warning bystanders ? Neat. Having a Pokemon interacting in a plot-relevant manner with humans (like, a ghost kidnapping a girl) ? Awesome. Your towns don't feel like a bunch of bland building populated with random NPCs, but rather like actual town, with an history and distinctive features, and the NPCs are integrated in this universe.

-I found both Gym Leader's team interesting to face. They're well constructed and can actually threaten you if you come unprepared. Really different from the original games and really cool too.

Unfortunately, there's also two bad points. Here they are :

-The two rivals. No, seriously. The rest of the cast is interesting (and will turn out to be good characters if there's sufficient personnal development later on in the story) but the two rivals are stereotypical and uninteresting. Just talk to August after you picked your first pokemon. His one-liner sums up the whole person. At least April isn't a total jerkass like this Blue's hiden brother.

-I said earlier that the champions are interesting to fight. That's still true. However, if you happen to not have the good pokemons on hand, you'll have to toughen some freshly captured one. And then, you suddenly realize that this game is suffering from the "Johto's syndrom", ie wild pokemons are underleveled, resulting in a tedious grind where you slaughter tens of them to get one or two levels which won't even make that much of a difference because you're still way beyond the champion team, unless they come with some extra like a new move or an evolution.

Btw, I'm wondering : why aren't the EVs and IVs of the pokemons showed in their summary ? Is this because it's still a "beta build" or a deliberate choice ?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    -The two rivals. No, seriously. The rest of the cast is interesting (and will turn out to be good characters if there's sufficient personnal development later on in the story) but the two rivals are stereotypical and uninteresting. Just talk to August after you picked your first pokemon. His one-liner sums up the whole person. At least April isn't a total jerkass like this Blue's hiden brother.

I really loved to two rivals. The rival thing seems to just be an opinion. If you hate these rivals you must have HATED X and Y's.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2020
    When the full game comes out will it be free or will it cost money?

Free. Pokemon has been trademarked as Nitendo's propriety, anyone tries to sell or even ask for funds (Kickstarter, donations for the project, etc) without their authorization and chances are your game is going to get a Cease&Desist order sooner or later. If you do not comply within a certain amount of time, they will take legal action against you... needless to say you would be screwed then.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    Is this game compatible with Gaming controllers? If not will the final version be?

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    That first gym sucked, I had to grind to level 20 just to not get one shot by every pokemon that lady had other then the hunber. Please dont tell me that i have to spend another 2 hours grinding for the next gym.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    Oi, Who is the one in charge of creating the GYM leader teams? Because i love'it, they are hard, actual Hard, Got totally Stomped by the first gym leader and destroyed on the second one (Just won him minutes ago). I have to use Actual Strategy (Charm and Disable FTW).
    Looking fowards for the rest gym leaders.

By the Way, there is a message popping every time SandStorm Buffeted my pokemon in the Second GYM battle. And is suposed to Last all the fight or only 5 turns? Because it lasted all the turns in all the fights i did vs him.

Back