• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokemon Ethereal Gates

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Fernling, The Hatchling Pokemon (Grass/Flying)

Votes: 830 41.2%
  • Kittorch, The Kitten Pokemon (Fire)

Votes: 816 40.5%
  • Bubull, The Hippo Pokemon (Water)

Votes: 370 18.4%

• Total voters

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
  • RMXP can't handle alot on it's own

That's not completely true. RMXP's default tilemap system works quite well, and even when the manual framerate is increased to 60 fps, it can still perform quite well. One part of blame goes to the Tilemap rewrite that is featured in Essentials. It heavily hits performance in several ways. Another part of the blame goes to the devs of the game because of their poor optimization of the usage of this Tilemap system.

Connecting maps is an Essentials only thing, and it decreases performance. Stutters on larger maps is also due to the Essentials tilemap system. Connecting multiple large maps, is the developers' fault. Filling them up with a lot of effects, animations, and those breezing flowers only makes things worse. And that's due to poor usage and optimization of their engine (and god only knows of Klein did something to the BW kit to hit performance).

That said, smart usage of the current tilemap system, or switching to a brand new one (which would require a bunch of work to make it compatible with Essentials) are solutions to the given problem. For my personal project, I use the XPAce Tilemap. And even with large maps and a fair amount of events, I keep up at a solid 60fps. And all this performance is in an RMXP game.

Feraldonny

Lover, Rocker, Crazy Guy
    Years
  • Ah yes, should've been a bit more clearer on that part.

What I meant to say was that with the standard scripts (No optimalization scripts) running, together with either a detailed map and/or alot of events that lag was/is pretty common.
    Even though it was a few years ago, I still remember one of my maps was ~50 by 50, with a lot going on event/graphicwise.
    And for many people at the time, it caused lag issues.

I mean, RMXP is a great game maker, but far from optimized. (Luckily, we have scripters that mostly solve those issues. :) )

azlirzli

Lee of Leneka
    Years
  • Of course! :)

Although I was a bit wrong before, this game utilizes it not in the original game folder.
    So basically, it should automatically work once you download a new version!

But if you want to make sure (AKA, making a backup save file just in case.) do these steps: (I'm on W7, but it should be mostly the same)
    1) Your computer
    2) Your main harddrive
    3) Users
    4) Choose yourself
    5) Saved games
    6) Pokemon Ethereal Gates Demo

Now, you're in the save folder and there should be a file called ''Game'', now just copy that and paste it somewhere else.

But as I said earlier, since the save file and game folder are not in the same folder, it should automatically carry over. :)
    Thank you so much for that! Greatly appreciate the help man :)

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I'm new to the PokemonCommunity so I'm not sure what to really say.. But I decided to join Pokemon Ethereal Gates cause I was randomly searching through the interwebs when I stumbled across a Youtuber playing a new pokemon on the PC so I was intreged to see what it was about, not even 5minutes through the video I feel inlove with Pokemon Ethereal Gates! So I decided to research on the interwebs to find out where I could play this game! At the time I didn't know it was a demo so I was kinda upset when I got my 2nd badge and went to carry on through the forest when I stumbled across Mark and Evan telling me it was a demo. But with that being said I wanted more! I didn't only want more.. I needed more! So I kept battling and training my pokemon until they wouldn't listen to me cause of the level cap, now with a full team of the highest I can get too and a keen eye on this thread I can't wait until updates come!

Thank you so much for this amazing game!
    -Sidenote-
    When the Full Version is released will we need to buy it or will it be free like the demo?

Keep Up The Great Work!

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2016
    PLEASE ADD IN ONLINE MULTIPLAYER TRADES AND BATTLE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE YOU HAVE TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feraldonny

Lover, Rocker, Crazy Guy
    Years
  • When the Full Version is released will we need to buy it or will it be free like the demo?

As a pokemon fangame, all copyright and things like that are still owned by Nintendo, as such ''selling'' the game is not allowed.
    However, I believe the creators did want to put in a donation button on their site that goes directly to Child's Play charity. (A really awesome charity giving sick children the chance to play games. :) )

Short answer, this game will remain free.

Ugh, it won't let me open the .exe no matter what, idk what to do
    Try running it as an administrator?
    Perhaps that that works.

Years
  • Hey there! I love this game! I find it very appealing, and the Pokemon are really cool too!
    HOWEVER.
    In the Lighthouse, I was having a great time going through it until I clicked on the item on the third floor (I believe) and it crashed my game. I don't know how many pointed this out, but I would love it if you guys could fix it. I'll try and get the more details, but as it stands, I was set back a whole town and now I must proceed to wipe the floor with Route 3.
    Keep up the good work, very excited to see this in it's finished state!

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2016
    I have now completed the demo and have decided to do a longer, more in-depth review -

*Beautiful looking towns and routs. Though a little on the small/short side respectively, I cannot fault the aesthetics.

*I can't rate the music highly enough in this demo! The atmosphere it creates is amazing (especially in the library!)! 10/10

*The menu design is awesome.

*Professor design is really cool, and the fact he was on the TV was a cool idea for an intro

*The rivals seem really interesting. The girl has a bit more personality than the boy rival, but that might be because she's had more lines than the guy so far. I like April's attitude, like I said in my shorter comment – she is a breath of fresh air compared to her official counterparts (May, Bianca, Shauna).

*The way the kids get their adventure started is unique and I think it was a good way to show off the rivals different personalities (April being more into helping the Professor than getting her pokemon, whilst August didn't want to help the Professor until he was offered a free pokemon).

*Corella town is really pretty, but its layout is a little weird (the gazebo blocks the path).

*I love the intros to the forest/library, they're so pretty! One question though: why doesn't the lighthouse have one too (that would be sweet!)?

*Is it just me or is the capture rate of weak pokemon higher than their equivalents in the official games? Same with the 'can't escape' rate?

*The villainous team seems very interesting, it's a shame we only get to see them once in the demo, but I'm really interested in getting to know their motives.

*Although the pokemon are cute, they're not cute enough to make grinding enjoyable. Something that has to be done to infinity if the player is to stand a chance against both gym leaders.

*The second gym's layout needs a COMPLETE overhaul imo. It is incredibly annoying and impossible to know where you will end up after going down one of those holes.

The mini missions/dungeons get their own section;

*Light house – good dungeon with good obstacle concept. However, why would the library key be in the light house? This is never explained. Also, would a parent really allow a small child to play near that crumbling old lighthouse, let alone inside it? Perhaps the evil team could be intertwined with the mission to save the girl, in order to give a smoother story?

*Library – as I said in a previous comment; the payoff for all that running around is very underwhelming, as is the tiny 'basement' section of the building. The encounter rate is also way too high for such a 'running-around-a-dungeon-ish' task, especially when you're running into the same pokemon every time and there are no trainer battles. A lower encounter rate with more variety would make the library mission more enjoyable, as well as a larger basement to explore and an evil team to beat.

*Machine retrieving mission – a little simple and weirdly pointless to trek back to a place you were just 5 minutes ago, imo at least. Perhaps put a small barrier, rival battle, or more exposition on the evil team to make it more interesting?

Some notes on the pokemon;

OMGTHEPOKEMON!!! They're so damn cute! My faves so far have got to be Avinch and Barcush, but I did notice some things that seemed inconsistent;

Eearr – I thought it was weird that sand attack was able to decrease eearr's accuracy, because it doesn't rely on sight to hit opponents. Perhaps it should get a new ability that doesn't allow accuracy decrease, and causes every move to have 100% accuracy? Or maybe sound based moves lower its accuracy?

Squeeker and its evolution – Having an organic pokemon with inorganic parts doesn't work imo, and although these two are very cute, I think this rule applies to them as well.

That's all I can think of. Looking forward to playing more of this game, and thanks for the great demo!

MasterBallz

MasterBall Abuser
    Years
  • would you guys know how to add a feature to let you see a pokemons nature and ability during a wild encounter?

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2015
    First of all- the game is absutloutly gorgeous! Just the look of it, and the music and the pokemon design are incredible, I must admit that it made me feel like a kid again.

I wanted to ask whether it will be possible to update the game with the next version from the Demo, or is it a game all on it's own and I'll have to restart it all over again.
    (I stopped because it turned out Hunber can't evolve lol)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2020
    Hey there! I love this game! I find it very appealing, and the Pokemon are really cool too!
    HOWEVER.
    In the Lighthouse, I was having a great time going through it until I clicked on the item on the third floor (I believe) and it crashed my game. I don't know how many pointed this out, but I would love it if you guys could fix it. I'll try and get the more details, but as it stands, I was set back a whole town and now I must proceed to wipe the floor with Route 3.
    Keep up the good work, very excited to see this in it's finished state!

I did the same thing and wound up all the way before the First Gym because I was having so much fun I forgot to save haha. I believe before exiting out of the error message I saw something about a Parlyz Heal, so maybe that was the item in question.

Otherwise I absolutely love everything about this game. The mons are all cool, the music is great, and it plays great so far. Can't wait to see more!

ShinxHero

Main Director of Pokémon VSLP
    Years
  • Wow, so this is the game I saw MunchingOrange and TyranitarTube playing! I watched the whole thing on their channel, and it looks really awesome! Keep up the awesome work!

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2015
    The first gym is so imbalanced that it makes me seriously question the intelligence of the people developing this game

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2015
    " The first gym is so imbalanced that it makes me seriously question the intelligence of the people developing this game "

That's not true! I bet the first and second gym with only four pokemon for the first and five for the second and they were all underleveled. You just have to use them tactics and use pokemon with attacks strong angainst your enemies! there is no need blaming your inability to beat the gym leader on the developers of this SELF-MADE game! the one who lacks intelligence is you in this case!

Back