• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokemon Evergreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    As of now, I am not looking for others who want to join the project but I may be looking for artists/programmers/writers in the future! I will keep everyone updated.

Introduction:

Pokemon Evergreen was a project I started considering after pokemon X/Y was released. After seeing the ways they depicted France, I began to think of all the other possible places pokemon could take place. Then it hit me: Why not a pokemon game that takes place in a region based off the Puget Sound! I've called this area my home for my entire life and seeing it turned into a pokemon game would be pretty cool.

Given that I was busy with school at the time, it was put in a closet in the back of my mind. Now that I have more time to spare, I have brought this project back and I have begun to work on it.

The Plot/Backstory:

Welcome to the Tahoma Region!

Pokemon Evergreen

As of this moment, the plot has taken a back seat to establishing the basic mechanics of the game. That said, there are few things I have outlined in my mind.

The plot is going to center around 2 legendary pokemon. These pokemon, and their back story, are inspired by a Makah tribal legend about the rivalry between Thunderbird and Whale.

In the midst of this, two rivaling factions, a group of environmentalist and the regions largest corporation, will be facing off in a battle over their ideals and their vision of how the world should be.

Features
    -Over 150 unique new Pokemon in addition to the first 5 gens! I may possibly even include the sixth!
    -Large maps with details that give the entire game a pacific northwest feel.
    -TONS of custom and modified art.
    -More features will be coming soon!

Starter Pokemon
    Spoiler:

Maps
    Spoiler:

There is still a lot of placeholder art that I am planning to replace. This just gives you a basic feel for the game.

If you want to see some of the other art I have created for the game, please visit the game's blog:

https://pokemonevergreen.tumblr.com/

Credit
    Poccil for Pokemon Essentials, the entire Essentials community, and RPG Maker XP

Last edited:

LeahB

Le-ha88
    Years
  • Your sprites look fantastic! And I like the idea of environmentalists squaring off against a large corporation. Will the player character be involved with one of these groups? Or do you just get caught in the middle of their war? Either way, this sounds like it'll be a great fangame. I'm really looking forward to seeing more!

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • As a fellow Washingtonian, this looks kinda cool. Why is Oly just a regular city? :P

I like the sprites, not sure how I feel about the mapping however. I take it Union Town is Centralia/Chehalis? Or perhaps the unknown city by the ocean/possibly Grayland. The story is alright so far. Can't wait to see more.

Allgamesdude

The Creator of the WIP game, Pokémon Cosmic. Looki
    Years
  • Aight. This seems tight. Gonna warn you, Fakemon take a lot of effort. You need PBS, a front sprite, back sprite, front shiny sprite, and back shiny sprite, as well as an Icon, which to be brutally honest, is the hardest part. But do your thing.

Moving on, I'd say your maps need work. At the moment, there's major clashing of styles. All the buildings are FR/LG style, and all the trees seem to be some weird style, like a RPG Maker VX style tileset.

Also, your trees should be placed together better. It should seem like trees actually surround it, and not so blatantly say, "Oh I drew a straight line with trees". Use layering. PM me if you need an understanding on what I mean.

This seems pretty damn cool though. There's a lot that could be done. I mean, just from a Caalifornian's perspective, this seems like it has so much potential. Like, maybe you could create a second region somewhere from the East Coast of the US. Or...

California?

Heugh. Just an idea.

~Poke

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Aight. This seems tight. Gonna warn you, Fakemon take a lot of effort. You need PBS, a front sprite, back sprite, front shiny sprite, and back shiny sprite, as well as an Icon, which to be brutally honest, is the hardest part. But do your thing.

Moving on, I'd say your maps need work. At the moment, there's major clashing of styles. All the buildings are FR/LG style, and all the trees seem to be some weird style, like a RPG Maker VX style tileset.

Also, your trees should be placed together better. It should seem like trees actually surround it, and not so blatantly say, "Oh I drew a straight line with trees". Use layering. PM me if you need an understanding on what I mean.

This seems pretty damn cool though. There's a lot that could be done. I mean, just from a Caalifornian's perspective, this seems like it has so much potential. Like, maybe you could create a second region somewhere from the East Coast of the US. Or...

California?

Heugh. Just an idea.

~Poke

Thank you for the critique! I do agree with what you say about the trees. I'm trying to figure out right now a way to space them better. I'm not sure what you mean by the fact that the trees do not match the style. The trees are edited from the FR/LG sprites and I thought they fit in pretty well? I did recolor the trees so they would feel more like evergreen trees so I guess maybe that's what you are talking about? Or maybe I gave them too much shading? In any case, thank you for the feedback. I'm definitely going to see what I can do.

Edit: I think I figured out what you mean. I fixed the trees so there is less contrast but...I think I might have gone a little too far. I don't think they pop out enough now...
    Pokemon Evergreen

I'll figure out the right balance eventually. As for the spacing, i'm going to work on that later.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    As a fellow Washingtonian, this looks kinda cool. Why is Oly just a regular city? :P

I like the sprites, not sure how I feel about the mapping however. I take it Union Town is Centralia/Chehalis? Or perhaps the unknown city by the ocean/possibly Grayland. The story is alright so far. Can't wait to see more.

You mean the map I made of the region? Yeah, I agree. I'm not entirely satisfied with the map and i'm probably going to do it over. What do you mean about Oly being a regular city?

Yes, Union town is based on Centralia/Chehalis!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Your sprites look fantastic! And I like the idea of environmentalists squaring off against a large corporation. Will the player character be involved with one of these groups? Or do you just get caught in the middle of their war? Either way, this sounds like it'll be a great fangame. I'm really looking forward to seeing more!

All I can disclose is that the theme of the struggle is going to be that morality is not black and white. People with good intention can do bad thing and people that seem bad can do good things.

Last edited:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • You mean the map I made of the region? Yeah, I agree. I'm not entirely satisfied with the map and i'm probably going to do it over. What do you mean about Oly being a regular city?

Yes, Union town is based on Centralia/Chehalis!

Nope, I mean the mapping like Union Town and I presume beyond. Haven't mapped in RMXP for a while, more normally mess with ROMs. The region map is pretty fine, could do some touch ups I guess. I mean we are the capital :P

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Yeah. I am still learning to use RPG maker but I think i'm getting better at it. I certainly feel more confident with the map I am working on for Oly than the one I did for Union town. Thank you for the feedback!

Allgamesdude

Years
  • Thank you for the critique! I do agree with what you say about the trees. I'm trying to figure out right now a way to space them better. I'm not sure what you mean by the fact that the trees do not match the style. The trees are edited from the FR/LG sprites and I thought they fit in pretty well? I did recolor the trees so they would feel more like evergreen trees so I guess maybe that's what you are talking about? Or maybe I gave them too much shading? In any case, thank you for the feedback. I'm definitely going to see what I can do.

Edit: I think I figured out what you mean. I fixed the trees so there is less contrast but...I think I might have gone a little too far. I don't think they pop out enough now...
    Pokemon Evergreen

I'll figure out the right balance eventually. As for the spacing, i'm going to work on that later.

Yeah, I meant the spacing. Look at any game, you're gonna have to get spacing down.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
    Years
  • Pokemon Evergreen

I played around with it today and I think it look better? I'm still working on getting the colors down.

This is a lot more visually appealing, but you may want to try getting the trees on the border closer together or playing around with having the 3 trees bunched together along the border to make it look more interesting. Even if you don't move them closer together, they still look much better than before, but I would consider adding more of the bunches; as for the colors, they seem fine, but you may want to try lightening them a bit more so they are more noticeably different from the grass.
    Also now that you've removed the patches of dirt under the trees, the town is a lot more empty, you should use dirt/sand patches to make paths to liven thing up, an try adding some decorations as well, it looks like you have a few dandelions, why not add some traditional flowers as well? and maybe a berry tree, unless that's what that huge farming area is.

Allgamesdude

Years
  • I'll tell you now, this looks a lot better. One thing to keep in mind, while mapping, is that when you've fully finished a map, be sure to add a tree border consisting of 8 more tiles to the left, 8 more tiles to the right, 6 more tiles towards the bottom, and 6 tiles vertically above. This will give the effect of the player not being able to see that pesky black border.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back