• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon fanfic categorization

Pidgeot500

Homeless
    Years
    Yamato-san said:
    Pidgeot, I'd just like to point out that your post makes it sound like there's only one manga. I do hope you realize that, as I pointed out before, there are actually several different manga, with Pocket Monsters Special (Pokemon Adventures) seeming the most popular, though Pipipi Adventures (Magical Pokemon Journey), Pocket Monsters (the one with that wise-cracking Clefairy), and Pocket Monsters: Dengeki Pikachu (Electric Tale of Pikachu) are also pretty well-known, with my post making a specific reference to the last one.
    Oh, wow, that's quite a lot. I was under the impression... Well, it's no matter, I just hadn't investigated this. Interesting.

...When you put it this way, it seems that it'd just be adequately efficient to, under primary/secondary (tertiary would be a possible label too of course, but it usually wouldn't be used) canon sources labels, have the category "manga", and then add a manga label in which you could list all the mangas that have some influence on the story (or just one if it's only one), and maybe optionally use the suffix + multiple times for certain ones to indicate which mangas more heavily influence the story based on #/+. If some sci-fi element is used in the story that isn't featured in any of the mangas listed under the manga label, then label it "sci-fi". Not so difficult.

Thank you for helping to account for manga, but I don't think manga is a big enough thing to break the concepts of Pokemon fanfic genres. :bandit:

I know that Pokemon are the ultimate technology, that's why my post was saying to put Pokemon training and Team Rocket aside.
    Actually, forget that entire paragraph, I misread "transportation" as "technology". YAMT. :(

If you look at the world solely based on how people live as opposed to how they battle and raise Pokemon, things really do look simple. I mean, they have the technology to easily transport Pokemon across a network (and in the Special manga, they can be directed to Crys's cellphone), but do you see anything that convenient specialized for humans? You have a point about how people don't travel often in that world with the use of some type of transport, but there are still plenty of non-trainers who would want to get from point A to point B somehow, and in terms of transportation, it currently looks pretty inconvenient to do that if the best method of going across the world is a somewhat slow airship or ferry boat.
    There are many plausible reasons for this. Pokemon have to be in Pokeballs to be transported, for one, and putting people in Pokeballs--or should I say, making Pokeballs for people--could present some difficulty. My own personal belief (in my own custom-imagined Pokemon canon) is that it's possible to teleport humans/life forms short distances outside of Pokeballs, but never mind me. (Hopefully my sharing that won't confuse things though, it's quite irrelevant.) Maybe most people enjoy the journey? Just because it's not explained doesn't mean it's some kind of flaw. If we don't know how they do it scientifically and how/when they started this practice, we can't say it's some kind of flaw. Although you never did, actually, and I'm not sure how this relates to your statement of putting Team Rocket and technology aside. Probably I responded to this the incorrect way...

Also, transportation isn't just about going from one city to another, it's also a means of travelling within one's own city, because cities are pretty large habitats and it can be miles to the nearest grocer or wherever. The Pokemon world has cities, no doubt, but do you ever see stuff like heavy traffic or a stoplight or something? No. The people are just seen walking around the place. Since the only city vehicles in the anime that really stick out in my mind are Jenny's motorcycle and some pick-up trucks transporting goods, I get the feeling vehicle production hasn't gotten to the point where almost everyone could own one.
    Do you mean to say that the Pokemon canon makes no sense i.e. does not follow logically? I disagree. Your statement "cities are pretty large habitats and it can be miles to the nearest grocer" isn't necessarily true. Cities are bigger than towns but I don't believe there are any the size of New York of Los Angeles. And who's to say that they don't have a system for having what they need, without needing to travel? Residential areas could be placed near markets or vice verse, or people could just stock up, or there could be some sort of truck system... etc. etc. Not at all sure where all this is going actually and I'm more and more afraid what I'm saying is irrelevant to the point behind it.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    whatever, this is getting us nowhere in terms of the thread's main topic. Why don't we just turn this thread into something like the categorization thread I suggested earlier. People could post their fics, say what they fall under both in terms of what Frostweaver listed off as well as actual genres (instead of sci-fi and such, how 'bout we just go with action, romance, comedy, etc.?), maybe specify what canons it follows, if any, a summary, and maybe some other things.

Pidgeot500

Homeless
    Years
    Would you mind explaining to me exactly how I'm discussing or arguing that is causing this thread to move around in circles, because maybe it's just a symptom of going around in circles that I can't see that I'm going around in circles, but IMHO we are getting somewhere here, and I think that my response to your statement of having multiple manga, in which I voiced the idea of having a manga label, responds to your sentiment fully. If you feel I forgot to (or maybe you feel I am deliberately not?) address something, make that clear and I will not hesitate to respond to it as clearly as I possibly can. I don't like to think that I argue until the person presenting contrary ideas tires, though for all appearances often that's what happens... I have, in the past, admitted defeat over the course of discussions perhaps even longer than this one, after realizing that my ideas are indeed flawed, and I have done so to an extent that has left the people to whom I conceded intellectual defeat having the response, "Why did you bother to say all that?" (At first I did not realize why they would be surprised that I took the time to admit my wrongness, but then it occurred to me that most people, when faced with the realization that they have taken to defending an indefensible idea, simply ignore the thread of conversation or let go of their end of the discussion rather than responding to allow the idea to continue its progression through the minds of those who follow. People argue for the sake of defending their belief, and if they are forced out of that belief by an intelligent debater, then that belief is no longer theirs and they may feel free to begin to disregard it completely and immediately. I suppose I may at times be inhuman in my loyalty to concepts and ideas that borders on annoyance.) I have found this discussion relatively untaxing on my end because the idea I have presented is a very flexible one, and when presented with a compex situation, such as the need to account for multiple manga, this idea has been able to, in my humble opinion (I italicize that because you may disagree with this, but as of yet you have not responded directly to my last post, so I cannot assume that) grow and evolve (as I facilitate that growth) to work with manga-based fictions such that the possibly of categorization as "sci-fi" or "fantasy" is not invalidated. This said, I would ask for you reconsider your judgement of this discussion, or further explain it to me, though I will understand if you chose not to do so (frostweaver may have already done so, or perhaps he is just busy of course.) I love speaking and reading this language so it is not a trial for me to go to this lengthy extent defending my arguments, but others have no time or will to read the words of others and would perhaps better stand for the sudden and instantaneous acquisition of the ideas of another.

On the subject of what you suggested as another aspect of this idea: the categorization thread--the kind of categorization thread I discussed at Bulbagarden in the fanfic forum "ideas" topic over a month earlier as it was conceived of a discussion there but which received no response so I decided it might find appreciation here, might I add--would not reach its full potential unless a system of categorization, using labels I would say, could be fine-tuned and developed to an acceptable level. So far I have only seen positive responses to the idea of cliched plots, which was I will say related to the possible "plot" label, but other than that this discussion has only focused on people's difficulties with a few relatively unnecessary aspects of the categorization system (which concern/concerned genre and canon mainly), so I have no idea what people think of the vast majority of this, though I might assume by their lack of response that they do not think it worthy of direct response, either because (a) they think it would work and so find no need to dispute it and by their silence assume I will know they agree with its feasability, or (b) they do not care about, or (c) they do not understand it. The relevant paragraphs in which I discussed some of the possibly aspects of the categorization system can be found in the paragraph of my first post that started with "OK, on the..." onward.

Although I really would enjoy this kind of thing being put into effect I don't think things should be rushed--if a good system can be worked out, it could really be helpful. Something is better than nothing, but I think we'd have to look over all the fanfics of PC twice over if we started a thread using a simplified categorization system without developing this one first. Though anyone/everyone should feel free to think up and suggest their own system if they think the one I roughly came up with on the first post of this topic is inefficient to the extent that it would be a good idea to start over with a different one. (Though I might defend mine if I feel it would better serve the purpose of such a system.) :)

Sorry for the lengthiness and the wordiness, I can't explain why I do it without going into even more pages of words people won't want to care to read, but sometimes when I get into a certain mode my writing style subtly shifts, which would explain why that first paragraph is kind of... Well, you understand what I mean. In any case, I think what I've said makes sense, once you take the time to read it I mean. ;)

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    ...... I don't believe it. I took the time to read through all that, and the reply I had intended remained the same from the first couple sentences.

Frostweaver and I already made it clear that there's no way in hell this forum is getting divided into a bunch of subforums due to there not being many fics in the first place and our fics would end up being more overlooked than they already are (in other words, categorization would hurt more than help).

That is why I said our discussion was getting us nowhere and recommended we all just shut the **** up and just make a thread for categorization if you feel we need it so friggin badly.

Pidgeot500

Homeless
    Years
    I don't believe it.
    Neither do I. I have no idea what I said that warranted this very harsh response, nor do I have any idea what you are talking about in your second paragraph about subforums, as I have never once said anything about subforums, nor can I understand why, as your last paragraph indicates, you think this categorization system is about the PC fanfic forum. In any case I regret that this topic had to end on such a low note.

Back