• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon fans mistreated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 27, 2010
    Hello community of Pokemon fans. Technically I can't stand the franchise anymore however since it first started I always said that next time a Pokemon game came out it would be an action RPG, 2d most likely since hand held is it's biggest market and keep the hand held systems popular, but a good 3D Zelda-esk Pokemon game ( I assumed ) was simply a mater of time because of Pokemon rediculous popularity. Today we see a crappy ( in my opinion ) series of remakes of the original games, over and over again. I'm not arguing they haven't made good games, since I haven't played the last billions version that came out in the last few years, but I do know form seeing them that not one of them brings Pokemon battles past a rock, paper, scicors battle.
    Now imagine if there was a 2D action adventure RPG that somehow uitlized skill and versatility into the Pokemon world, Oh My GOD!!!! that would actually be fun. (and new)
    However you won't ever see such a thing from them because it's so much easier to continue to milk you fans for all your worth on cost in-expensive remakes. So, why am I here ranting then. I have worked for a company that I'm probably allowed to mention but won't just in case for now, where I have been teacching video game creation for 6 years, and now that I have my own company I want a big project to devote myself too that will pay off in the end. I want to make a game that will make all of you roll around at night fretting it's not out yet, like Cartman waiting for the Wii to come out, I know I can do it, I want to do it, but I can't comunicate with the heads of whoever allows such a thing to be done. Also who would listen to a single individual, if however there was some sort of following, maybe a digital list of people saying they need this game to be made. I have a feeling if a major company announced the game I could create all of you would drop to the ground crying in jubilation so I think such a feat is possible with enough support.
    Well ok this is my introduction to the world, all I need is permission to make this game a reality and simultaneosly get another company I am working on off the ground so I can start working on a game I have already been developing for years.

-Peace

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Rock-paper-scissors? It's obvious you've never played competitively against another human player.

Anyway, a lot of people (myself included) prefer the current turn-based system. I prefer having to think about what I'm doing rather than rely on quick button pressing and reflexes.

If you want to play a 2D action-adventure RPG, try Mystery Dungeon or Ranger. I believe either of the two series are what you're looking for.

EDIT: Also, if your game is a Pokémon game, you're never going to get it licensed by Nintendo (at least not without paying thousands, or even millions, in royalties). If it's not a Pokémon game, I don't see why you're ranting so much.

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    Change doesn't neccesarily sell more.

There's a reason why alternative gameplay mechanics are stuff for the side games.

sonic smash down

Where those that train, train hard!
    Years
  • wow its been forever since ive been on here, anyways...

yea what wichu is saying is correct. if your looking for a 2d system like that for pokemon, mystery dungeon would be right up your alley kid. But to get the liscense from the pokemon franchise would cost not only your arm and leg but probally your whole body along with a few more body parts as well.
    Anyways most people like the battle system already at work in the franchise so dont bash on it if it's already selling hundreds of thousands of copies for each generation.
    Good luck if your going to go through with it though

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • You act like Game Freak are obligated by law to make games for you. You aren't being "mistreated", you are being "treated". You say you liked the original games, but don't like them doing the same thing over and over again in a different manner. If anything that should be EXACTLY what you want. If it did well, it will always do well. Frankly, if they can get the quality of the cosmetics back up to what it was 2 Generations ago, I'd happily keep buying.
    Also I don't think approaching the company and saying "your games aren't innovative, let me do it instead" is going to get very far.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Spelling + attitude + little understanding tells me your around 12, good luck with your ''company''.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2010
    Gosh...

Ok well A. I'm not asking for anything to be done for me, I simply have the means (if licensing was possible) to create such a game. Obviously it's not wanted by you select few but that's ok.

B. I'm sure your turn based Pokemon battles are "epic" and the immense 4 ability choices per Pokemon and w/e # of them you have takes hours to set up in your minds. However all I am asking is if people would find it exciting to instead play a game where during the battle you became the pokemon (bringing their different movement capabilities actually into play) or any number of other infinite possibilities out there that simply havn't been explored because this is cheaper solution and there is a constant in-flux of new people reaching the age of 11-13 and thus becoming interested.

C. Don't worry I'll not be bothering to rant any further I was simply trying to gauge interest with an extremist (although true) perspective and see what happened.

P.S. I love the kid comment on this kind of forrum, it would be nice to be a kid again, but alas teaching the Unreal 3 Engine at a University in the summers for tons of money, and running my own software company is just too much fun... so no thanks. One day "kids" when you are entering the world you will decide for yourself how much of an impact you want to create. I decided not to set limits and so far I'm having a blast and these kinds of random ideas are great.

Peace out all and live your lives to the fullest... ie try not to watch 10 straight years of TV by the age of 70 (if this confuses you then google it for fun fact) oh but not because TV isn't fun but because you can't be creating something new in the world if you're watching it.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • You're posting in the game deveolpment thread. If you want a game like that, just make it, or learn how. That's what most people here are trying to do.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2010
    sigh

the definition of kids should be those whom read little yet presume much. I wrote very clearly that I am merely looking for interest, unlike the many here (who I am glad are creating with their hands something they value) I create commercial games ie "real games", not something you play for 20 minutes as a fan fic spin off. I don't use software to make games, ie click and drag pre-made objects into a pre-made reality(aka sprite games), I do my own programming and thus I'm not going to spend 10 months to a year and a half developing a commercial game if I can't get the licensing to sell it and there is no public interest to help me get that licensing. That is why I am here and that is what I said in both my previous posts.

-Peace

P.S. I don't want to sound like I'm knocking sprite games as I think it's a great place to start and learn the ropes of game creation and all the various pieces associated with the gam emaking process. I used to teach multi media fusion and it's sequel (great program for sprite games) I just wanted to make it clear I'm thinking on a bit of a different stage.

Last edited:

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • First, I have to link the following. Take a look at number ten. That's what this appears as, with you claiming that you are a competent game developer with his own company, who also teaches game development on the side. In other words, it sounds far too good to be true, especially when mixed with your lack of grammatical and spelling skills, and the fact that you apparently lack the ability to read most of the posts in this thread. First off, other types of Pokemon games do exist, and they come far closer to the style presented in the Legend of Zelda now than they did in Red and Blue versions. Specifically, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is an action-based dungeon crawler featuring you as a Pokémon, as well as the Japanese gaming idea of "random dungeons", where you never visit the same dungeon twice, because it always changes. Second, there is a huge difference between the easy battles you face in-game, and actually battling another player, who knows just as much or more about the games than you do. With the wide variety of moves and their effects, as well as the huge variety of Pokemon with different moves, base statistics, and abilities, competitive battling is nothing like beating the elite four, and is far more challenging. The fact that you can only put four moves on any given Pokémon makes it far more challenging, because it limits what you can do with any given Pokémon, forcing you to make decisions about the direction it will take, to give you the best advantage in battle.

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is an action-based dungeon crawler featuring you as a Pokémon, as well as the Japanese gaming idea of "random dungeons", where you never visit the same dungeon twice, because it always changes.

Surely this feature originated in the 1980 game Rogue, of which the entire Roguelike genre is named after?

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Oh, I don't like these types of threads here.
    I've made my opinion very clear about how I feel on threads were users like Orden come here and talk about their credentials.
    Listen, Orden , I know you were looking for a bit of interesting conversation on something, but there is no point making people feel little. From reading this thread, it comes across like you are trying to belittle the so called "kids" of this forum.
    I don't like that.

PM me if you wish.

I'm closing this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back