• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Pokemon first gen obedience

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2020
    Hello all, I've been trying to remove the obedience aspect from my hack I'm making,
    specifically pokemon blue, The level curve is pretty steep and you'll have pokemon it the 40s well before you
    get the 4th badge, I don't want people who utilize the in-game traded pokemon to get the shaft, does anybody know what I can do?

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    Are you hacking using the Pokered disassembly? If so, I'll take a look and see if I can find it.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2020
    Actually no, I'm not. I'm just using whatever tools I can find, mostly the ones made by swampert.

EDIT: Ok I figured I'd try my hand at this whole pokered disassembly thing.
    How would I go about letting you see the stuff you need to see?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    Actually no, I'm not. I'm just using whatever tools I can find, mostly the ones made by swampert.

EDIT: Ok I figured I'd try my hand at this whole pokered disassembly thing.
    How would I go about letting you see the stuff you need to see?

That was how I started, but the disassembly is easy enough to work with that I changed over. I've been using Notepad ++ as it reads the code in a more comprehensive format. Basically I just need to figure out which ASM file contains the code.

If you happen to find it first, just copy and paste the area of code into your post inside of a
    Spoiler:
    tag to compress it so you post isn't 400 lines long. I'm not super experienced with scripting, but if its as simple as changing a few parts to cancel it I can probably help.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    I believe I've found it. It's in "engine\battle\core.asm". Starting at line 4033:

Spoiler:

The way I see it, you can set each of the level checks to 101, that way once you get the first badge you're in the clear. Another option that MAY work would be to remove lines 4035 to 4043. I don't know if it missing would cause any errors, but it might skip the badge check altogether. You could probably also set the bit of the first badge (which is probably 0) and set the level check on that one alone to 101. Whatever you try, make sure you save a backup and make sure it works.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2020
    That was how I started, but the disassembly is easy enough to work with that I changed over. I've been using Notepad ++ as it reads the code in a more comprehensive format. Basically I just need to figure out which ASM file contains the code.

If you happen to find it first, just copy and paste the area of code into your post inside of a
    Spoiler:
    tag to compress it so you post isn't 400 lines long. I'm not super experienced with scripting, but if its as simple as changing a few parts to cancel it I can probably help.

Huh, notepad ++, I'll have to try that. One quick question about making changes, how do I apply them, do I type "make" into the cygwin terminal?

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    I had trouble doing it without Notepad ++, but once you save the edited file you can just use the "make (red)" command. With my hack I don't need to generate 2 different ROMS, since I've eliminated most missing elements between versions on Red. It also makes editing simpler, since I can ignore instances of anything that isn't "IF DEF (_RED)". Just make sure an unedited copy of the ASM exists somewhere in case it doesn't work out.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2020
    Yeah, I already had to start over multiple times due to not making a backup of the asm files that I edited.
    I know that I'm probably biting off more than I can chew but I'm trying to add in at least three new pokemon.

I always wished that they expanded on the original legendary birds,
    so far I've come up with two, Acuatro a water/flying type and Ricinco a poison/flying type.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2020
    I found it! I was scrolling down and I found it in the Core.asm file located it the pokered/engine/battle folder.

Spoiler:

As I also want the trade pokemon to evolve, I'll be sure to let you know if I find anything,
    Thanks a lot for all the help!

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    Yeah, I already had to start over multiple times due to not making a backup of the asm files that I edited.
    I know that I'm probably biting off more than I can chew but I'm trying to add in at least three new pokemon.

I always wished that they expanded on the original legendary birds,
    so far I've come up with two, Acuatro a water/flying type and Ricinco a poison/flying type.

Ya, definitely can't help you with adding new pokemon. Additionally I was not interested in it with the original series, but I DID wish they expanded on the pokemon already present. There was a really poor balance of stats and move distribution, and I'm working on making some of the less stellar and renowned pokedudes more viable for training, while also making them a little more available.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    Sure, will be interested to see if that works, since I've not tested it out.

What do you mean with trade pokemon to evolve? I would think if they evolved via trade naturally that so long as you're receiving it, it should evolve, even in game.

If you're talking about making other pokemon evolve by trade then that's a different story. You can definitely switch evolution procs in the evos_moves.asm, but I'd be curious if you could set it in such a way that multiple conditions cause evolution...

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2020
    Sure, will be interested to see if that works, since I've not tested it out.

What do you mean with trade pokemon to evolve? I would think if they evolved via trade naturally that so long as you're receiving it, it should evolve, even in game.

If you're talking about making other pokemon evolve by trade then that's a different story. You can definitely switch evolution procs in the evos_moves.asm, but I'd be curious if you could set it in such a way that multiple conditions cause evolution...

Because of a translation error, haunter would not evolve, graveler did though,
    machoke and kadabra weren't even included in the .asm file so they wouldn't evolve either.
    and yeah, this was for the in-game trades, as all four of them had no trouble evolving after you
    received in a trade with another cart.

This is what it was before: https://github.com/TheFakeMateo/RedPlusPlus/blob/master/engine/evolve_trade.asm

This is it after I edited it:
    Spoiler:

With that all four will evolve upon being traded to you by in-game trades.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    Very cool, although personally I don't care for the idea of having those Mons grow super fast after evolving. I can imagine clearing the whole game with just Gengar. I actually switched my trademons to evolve at a pretty high level, although my hack isn't focused on super level curves.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2020
    Very cool, although personally I don't care for the idea of having those Mons grow super fast after evolving. I can imagine clearing the whole game with just Gengar. I actually switched my trademons to evolve at a pretty high level, although my hack isn't focused on super level curves.

Well, I suppose you could alter the experience gained by traded mons to be the same as non traded.

Back