• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

pokemon game ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 12, 2014
    here is where u can post what would be pretty cool for a game that nintendo should make or just things they should of done in previous games

i think in emerald birch should of gave you a pokeball to go catch you first pokemon (well it would be like a masterball as it wont fail) and made a place next to littleroot where there are the pokemon starters and maybe some normal pokemon like poochyena

i think i agood pokemon game would be on the wii and be able to travel to all of the regions
    and you restart every new region you go to and when u complete atleast 2 regions u can take your pokemon between the 2 completed 1s

thanks for reading :)

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
    Years
  • A Pokemon Game for the Wii but with an actuall storyline like Black/White etc.

It would include:
    • Battle frontier (the Subway is not a worthy replacment)
    • Pokemon following you like in HG/SS
    • If you beat the league the Elite 4 + leader change to others from other regions eg. In White they change to Hoen Elite 4 + Wallace
    • Get to pick out of all starters or get given one at random

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I would love to see a game that would travel to all regions. I think it would be exciting to travel on planes/ferries/trains or however they intend on being transportation. Including the ability to capture all Pokemon without trading or going to events would be a nice touch.

I also would like to see something different rather than the traditional Elite Four Challenge. It would be more interesting if they put in a tournament after completing the gyms, like the anime. They could use the same mechanics as the Battle Dome, and if you win you have the chance to battle the Elite Four and Champion.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    They should add more story behind the Gym Leaders.
    They should add a uber Champion that is very hard to beat because of the condition to fight him.
    They should add a tournament system and still keeping the Elite Four+Champion system. With tournament system, there will be more character, more story, and less random meaningless battles.
    They should make make the game mechanic less stiff and try as much as possible too keep out game mechanics when dealing with story or any other matter.
    Make the story much more complex and dynamics as well as more violent evil team.

They can add this to a new game or create a spin off based of this idea :p

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2014
    if they make a new game they should go all out
    get rid of save the region idea or the world just do something epic
    and wild battles are annoying
    if they make a game on the wii they should make routes much bigger and the towns and citys so that wild pokemon can be seen like the pokemon that follows you about
    and some pokemon will chace you like big strong brave pokemon and others will runthe timid ones so u have to chace them and the 1s that car not that bovered and are quite relaxed

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    The games pokemon needs to make a comeback

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and it just seems that pokemon has lost it's touch with its fans. Where's the innovation that the series began with? Where are the games like Pokemon Snap that were more than just cheap remakes on an existing formula? I love all the pokemon games because there's nothing else like them out there, but my patience is wearing a little thin with the utter lack of true creativity in recent games.

So here are three games that Game Freak needs to make if Pokemon is to ever return to its former glory as a world phenomenon.

I'll start with the easiest one first, Pokemon Snap. With the upcoming release of the Wii U, and the current 3DS, there has never been a better chance to revisit this amazing classic. The N64 was the period of Nintendo's greatest gaming innovation in my opinion, and Pokemon Snap was one of the best titles on the system. And that's saying a lot for a game which only lets the user 'capture' pokemon on virtual camera film. The original game created the small illusion of a living breathing pokemon world with comparably breathtaking visuals for it's time and some truly ingenious puzzles and secrets. And I'll never understand exactly how the photos were graded, but the process was fast, fun, and effective. Bringing Pokemon Snap up to the current generation of technology would be an amazing feat with 649 pokemon to animate and program, not even considering the environments and gameplay, but the result would be an experience unparalleled by any other. This is a game true fans have been waiting for for years.

Second is a real pokemon ranch. The Pokemon ranch for the wii was both an interesting experience, and a major let down for me. I can understand the limitations of the wii's hardware, but having only half a package was actually worse than not having it at all. The pokemon are miniature versions of themselves and have only limited AI. The illusion that the pokemon you see are actually alive breaks when they all follow the same patterns, all 1000 of them. The ranch serves no other purpose than to look pretty and store pokemon in a toy box. It could have at least acted like the pokemon day care center and given those pokemon experience. With the promised power of the Wii U, the ranch could be an entirely separate experience from the main series. Every pokemon could be programmed with its own unique personality, the visuals completely overhauled, and many more features added, such as being able to quickly train your pokemon, practice battles among your own pokemon, actually see other people's ranches instead of the stupid computer mii's and interact with them. And I'm only using the term 'ranch' because that what the original was called, but what I really want is my own 3D secret base, like in ruby and saphire and diamond and pearl, that can be customized and built exactly how I want it while still being able to store as many pokemon as I want in it. The new Black and White version of this is a gimmicky joke by comparison to what it could be. There is so much potential in the idea of a pokemon ranch. It reminds me of the episode where we get to see what Prof. Oak did in his spare time taking care of the pokemon left by trainers at his lab. That's what a pokemon ranch should look and feel like.

And finally, a Pokemon MMO, this is the big one. I agree with this statment on the thread "Do you think Pokemon has gone far enough", "I guarantee you that Nintendo could rival Blizzard in the money making department if they made a MMO." Pokemon is the ultimate example of what an MMO could be, hundreds of enemies, an extended an elaborate mythos, an obsession with collecting things, a completely user defined experience, and a tournament worthy combat system. But to be an MMO, pokemon has to go beyond the bounds of ordinary MMO's like WOW, because Pokemon is an inherently different type of game. One of the most dissapointing things to me with the current pokemon battle system, is that you can't win with any pokemon. It's a game of numbers and rock paper scissors with a few tricks thrown in just to be random and level the playing field. This has to be set aside and completely rebuilt for an MMO. I particularly love how Pokemon fight in the Super Smash Bros series. It actually takes skill rather than calculations to win. Each pokemon feels like its own unique charachter with special attacks, different styles, weights, and speed. Very little is left to chance and it feels much more like I'm actually playing the Pokemon and fighting with real talent because of experience rather than numbers. In a Pokemon MMO, players could still capture and train all the pokemon, but the battles would be more like a 3D super smash bros, more like the battles in the TV series that really would take skill, experience, a deeper understanding of each pokemon's unique charachteristics. There would be no limitation on what moves a pokemon could learn and know becuase each pokemon would only know the moves it could realistically learn. A Pokemon's strength would no longer be attributed based on its level, but on the trainer's experience in battle with other pokemon, and the pokemon's experience and training. Evolution and would no longer occur based upon an arbitrary level limit, but on the training and experince of the pokemon, how hard the battles were, how tough the opponent, and the extensiveness of the training. The outcome of the battle would not affect the experience gained, but rather the actions within the battle. I look especially to the original TV series when thinking about how a Pokemon MMO could be. A vast world filled with friends, foes, and adventure. The world that was built for the TV screen is so much more engaging than what has played out in the games, and that could be brought to life in an MMO. Obviously, the graphics would no longer be in 2 dimensions, but in 3, in a true pokemon World, rather than one region. To make the process of creating such a massive project easier, each region could be created as an expansion pack to the last, allowing Game Freak to make money and reintroduce the older pokemon regions to a newer audience. Rather than having an elite four or battle tower, or any RPG version of that, the champions could be determined based on tournaments as seen in the TV series. The tournaments could be divided into subdivisions for each game region and real world region, and of course the master league for all players who prove themselves in the lower tournaments. Team battles, multi battles, etc, all match types could be represented in tournaments and online rankings. I personally love Starcraft's matchmaking system and it would be a great system for this. The Pokemon Contests could be an entirely separate competition and could actually be judged and voted on by real people. Contests would act as minigames like they are in the series but would really test the pokemon and trainer's abilities and skill outside of battle. As for Gyms, I think they should operate as a form of guilds seen in other games, places that specialize in specific areas of pokemon battles and which test new trainer's abilities and which are operated and run by players. In fact, there should little to no NPC's in the game other than the pokemon. The police would obviously be the game staff, pokemon centers could be run by AI and support staff and could also be centers of information and help for new players, pokemarts could be run entirely through AI and menus, and the big shopping mall stores could be run by game staff and menus and would actually sell in game merchandise, both through game currency and real money. Port cities could sell region expansions in the form of passports or ship tickets. Pokemon and items could be traded or sold through player markets in game. There are so many more features to add to this list of what a Pokemon MMO could become.
    I plan on being a game developer, and if I ever get the chance to make a pokemon MMO, this is a short explanation of my vision for such a game.

If you take the time to read my rambling, thank you.

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2023
    I read an absolutely wonderful idea about a version where you are Prof. Oak, and are going out for the first time and recording data on all the pokemon.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • My Pokemon Idea would be a huge storyline with twists and stuff that extend through all regions and even added places like sevii islands, orange islands, etc. But I'd make the PC system unable to transfer Pokemon between regions (You'll have to beat all regions and complete a sidequest like in firered to unlock PC transfer). I also think there should be tournaments and bring back tutoring moves, more main characters... Thats about it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • if they make a new game they should go all out
    get rid of save the region idea or the world just do something epic
    and wild battles are annoying
    if they make a game on the wii they should make routes much bigger and the towns and citys so that wild pokemon can be seen like the pokemon that follows you about
    and some pokemon will chace you like big strong brave pokemon and others will runthe timid ones so u have to chace them and the 1s that car not that bovered and are quite relaxed
    Just some things I'd like to say about those:
    1. The "save the region from Team _____" theme is all part of your adventure (that's been going on since Gen I).
    2. While I agree that wild Pokemon battles get annoying after a while, they're also the main method of catching/encountering Pokemon. Also, when you can't rematch with trainers (especially in B/W), then what else can you do other than battle wild Pokemon nonstop to train your Pokemon?
    3. The last one somewhat reminds me of the Safari Zone; there could be a chance the wild Pokemon (not in the Safari Zone) will flee during the battle (the chances of escaping are less when the Pokemon is afflicted by a status condition)

Anyway, my own ideas: The only things I'd like to add in the games are saving during a battle and customizable trainers.

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen yesterday
    Second is a real pokemon ranch. The Pokemon ranch for the wii was both an interesting experience, and a major let down for me. I can understand the limitations of the wii's hardware, but having only half a package was actually worse than not having it at all. The pokemon are miniature versions of themselves and have only limited AI. The illusion that the pokemon you see are actually alive breaks when they all follow the same patterns, all 1000 of them. The ranch serves no other purpose than to look pretty and store pokemon in a toy box. It could have at least acted like the pokemon day care center and given those pokemon experience. With the promised power of the Wii U, the ranch could be an entirely separate experience from the main series. Every pokemon could be programmed with its own unique personality, the visuals completely overhauled, and many more features added, such as being able to quickly train your pokemon, practice battles among your own pokemon, actually see other people's ranches instead of the stupid computer mii's and interact with them. And I'm only using the term 'ranch' because that what the original was called, but what I really want is my own 3D secret base, like in ruby and saphire and diamond and pearl, that can be customized and built exactly how I want it while still being able to store as many pokemon as I want in it. The new Black and White version of this is a gimmicky joke by comparison to what it could be. There is so much potential in the idea of a pokemon ranch. It reminds me of the episode where we get to see what Prof. Oak did in his spare time taking care of the pokemon left by trainers at his lab. That's what a pokemon ranch should look and feel like.

That's actually a really good idea I like it a lot.
    It also bothered me about My pokemon ranch.
    That the platinum update was never released worldwide.

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    reply to infersaime

That's actually a really good idea I like it a lot.
    It also bothered me about My pokemon ranch.
    That the platinum update was never released worldwide.

And the fact that they never bothered to update the system for later games HGSS and BW. There was absolutely no connectivity with new games. It was kind of just left to rot.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I personally think an interesting idea would be to have a more 3D style (to the same effect of Colosseum and XD) and have one version on the 3DS and one on the Wii U. One would be more expensive, and the other would be portable but have lower quality. I know it won't happen, but it would be pretty cool.

Also, they should definitely make a Pokemon Ranger game for Wii U. That would be the chance for the GREATEST game in that subseries EVER, provided they get gameplay and plot good enough.

EDIT: It seems that a lot of people are pushing for the "includes all regions" idea.

Sure, I've thought about it, but let's think about it. I really think that the idea of all regions is sort of...over the top. I think it would probably get old around the third region or so. I DO like the idea of having maybe a double region or triple region in a game, but all existing games would be too much, honestly.

Last edited:

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    response

EDIT: It seems that a lot of people are pushing for the "includes all regions" idea.

Sure, I've thought about it, but let's think about it. I really think that the idea of all regions is sort of...over the top. I think it would probably get old around the third region or so. I DO like the idea of having maybe a double region or triple region in a game, but all existing games would be too much, honestly.

Really? To me it has seemed that even two regions is too short of a journey to be a pokemon master. The only difference really is having all the regions on one disc or whatever medium we have in the future, all linked together rather than having to switch back and forth between games just to move all your pokemon to the newest region. I don't know about the rest of you, but its an absolute pain to have to do this with 493 pokemon last generation, not to mention the extra 100 or so for this one. This way, you wouldn't have to make remakes, just updates, and new regions and pokemon could be added on to the main world as they come out rather than as it's own separate entity. You could play in whatever region you love most at any time and it would really feel like a Pokemon world.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Really? To me it has seemed that even two regions is too short of a journey to be a pokemon master. The only difference really is having all the regions on one disc or whatever medium we have in the future, all linked together rather than having to switch back and forth between games just to move all your pokemon to the newest region. I don't know about the rest of you, but its an absolute pain to have to do this with 493 pokemon last generation, not to mention the extra 100 or so for this one. This way, you wouldn't have to make remakes, just updates, and new regions and pokemon could be added on to the main world as they come out rather than as it's own separate entity. You could play in whatever region you love most at any time and it would really feel like a Pokemon world.
    Sadly, some of the points you mentioned here are exactly why it's very unlikely such a thing will happen. Take the one I bolded, for instance. Sure, they won't have to make remakes or new games, but.. remember Game Freak is a business, and the prime thing businesses are concerned with is money - same with game companies. They want to make new games to make moire money every year or few. Remakes makes them money, and making a super game with everything in it means people would be less interested in buying a new game with a new region but nothing else. Downloads/etc would be just plain hard to implement (impossible with big things too arguably, such as various changes seen across new Pokemon game generations and how much data Pokemon can take up too) and not some Nintendo does much of either; and updates would net them a far smaller profit in the long run too.

That and they view things like trading to 'get them all' as a positive too (using the nintendo wifi services! encouraging people to play the games with each other more which in turn 'spreads the word' of Pokemon and all, and hence more advertising/sales out of that!), and one big issue is memory restrictions too - you can only fit so much on a DS cartridge after all. HGSS was fairly large and Kanto wasn't still quite the size it was in FRLG for instance.

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    Sadly, some of the points you mentioned here are exactly why it's very unlikely such a thing will happen. Take the one I bolded, for instance. Sure, they won't have to make remakes or new games, but.. remember Game Freak is a business, and the prime thing businesses are concerned with is money - same with game companies. They want to make new games to make moire money every year or few. Remakes makes them money, and making a super game with everything in it means people would be less interested in buying a new game with a new region but nothing else. Downloads/etc would be just plain hard to implement (impossible with big things too arguably, such as various changes seen across new Pokemon game generations and how much data Pokemon can take up too) and not some Nintendo does much of either; and updates would net them a far smaller profit in the long run too.

That and they view things like trading to 'get them all' as a positive too (using the nintendo wifi services! encouraging people to play the games with each other more which in turn 'spreads the word' of Pokemon and all, and hence more advertising/sales out of that!), and one big issue is memory restrictions too - you can only fit so much on a DS cartridge after all. HGSS was fairly large and Kanto wasn't still quite the size it was in FRLG for instance.

If you read my earlier post, I'm not talking about a game for the ds, and I described several pay models that other online games are using right now, there are plenty of ways to make money than by buying a game at the store, probably even more money. You're right, it would be impossible to have this on a portable system just due to space requirements. It would have to be on Nintendo's future console, or even the PC considering that the Dreamworld is on the PC now.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Jesus christ man, space out your paragraphs more. People don't want to look at a massive chunk of text like that.

The Dream World is very little more than a silly little diversion which ultimately just provides additional content for the real games. Ultimately all it is, is just an extension of the generic Flash games that are on their website. Nintendo has never particularly embraced PC gaming and it's very unlikely they'd look at them now.

Nintendo are also the worst people by far when it comes to embracing the online functionality of their games and systems so there's fat chance of that happening.

You also seem to be describing a weird abstract experience system that's horribly overcomplicated and the exact opposite of what people want - and I'm dubious of how plausible it is to program something like that in a computer instead of writing a cartoon. Look at WoW - it's traditional D&D mechanics, experience points and levels that are tied to stats and a tree of selectable skills. Just like what Pokémon is derived from.

Also I don't think anyone at Game Freak, maybe even Nintendo, knows the fundamentals of designing and programming a persistent, Massively Multiplayer Online game and it's surrounding architecture, or programming for personal computer systems. Cast your mind back to how badly the launch of the Dream World was handled, and multiply the scale of that by a hundred to get an idea of this project.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and it just seems that pokemon has lost it's touch with its fans.

Stopped reading there. Pokemon is selling millions of games - clearly the fans are still liking what they are doing.

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    Jesus christ man, space out your paragraphs more. People don't want to look at a massive chunk of text like that.

The Dream World is very little more than a silly little diversion which ultimately just provides additional content for the real games. Ultimately all it is, is just an extension of the generic Flash games that are on their website. Nintendo has never particularly embraced PC gaming and it's very unlikely they'd look at them now.

Nintendo are also the worst people by far when it comes to embracing the online functionality of their games and systems so there's fat chance of that happening.

You also seem to be describing a weird abstract experience system that's horribly overcomplicated and the exact opposite of what people want - and I'm dubious of how plausible it is to program something like that in a computer instead of writing a cartoon. Look at WoW - it's traditional D&D mechanics, experience points and levels that are tied to stats and a tree of selectable skills. Just like what Pokémon is derived from.

Also I don't think anyone at Game Freak, maybe even Nintendo, knows the fundamentals of designing and programming a persistent, Massively Multiplayer Online game and it's surrounding architecture, or programming for personal computer systems. Cast your mind back to how badly the launch of the Dream World was handled, and multiply the scale of that by a hundred to get an idea of this project.

Yes, I know that Nintendo has never supported PC gaming and that neither they nor Game Freak would have any idea of how to make this game, and I'm not saying they would or should. It would take something closer to the skill of developer CCP of EVE Online to even come close.

And the experience system I was trying to describe is something more realistic, closer to what is shown in the TV series, because the current system of hard numbers is boring me and it doesn't feel natural or realistic. All of the complexity however would take place below the surface of what the player would see. Instead, the player would see his or her pokemon grow and develop more like real living creatures rather than just sprites or 3d models on a screen with a stat display. I don't know of any game that can do that yet, but then none have ever tried. And with technology increasing at its current rate it may very well be possible in the near future. I know that an MMO would be the greatest leap Nintendo would have to make, but taking chances has always been Nintendo's territory right?

Yeah, sorry about those paragraphs, my thoughts kind of ran together while I was typing, it's a lot to think about.

Stopped reading there. Pokemon is selling millions of games - clearly the fans are still liking what they are doing.

They may like it well enough to sell it, but sales numbers do not always equal quality. Selling the same game with a new face will not work forever, and yes I know there have been gradual improvements over time like the new battle types, graphics and so on, but even with all that I still feel like I'm doing the same thing I was 5 years ago. It's still fun, but it's stale. Eventually it will grow old like mouldy bread. Maybe I should have said 'losing touch' but still, pokemon has so much potential for its own evolution and I think it would be best to start now while people are still interested.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back