• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: "Pokemon Generations" anime shorts. (Article in thread OP)

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2016
    I really hope they keep Red's voice actor. He is by far one of my favorite voice actors in all of Anime, although he has been in a ton of new dubbed animes.

I couldn't tell if Blue has the same voice actor. Just started rewatching Origins, as they added it to Youtube as well a few days ago.

As for 5th gen, I would at least like to see White. She has been shafted too much and to me, has probably the best design out of every pokemon character I have seen. I don't mind if Black doesn't show up. As Red and Black are basically the exact same in personality wise. But I see why so many would be mad at this.

I'm in full agreement for White/Hilda over Black/Hilbert. Hilbert just looks way too similar to Red and would likely have a similar personality if they went with him. Hilda is also my favorite female design. To me, she is the most badass looking female protagonist bar none, and it is a crime that she has had basically no animated representation whatsoever. Even Hilbert got some representation what with Ash's BW attire having similarities to his.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I wanna be hyped, I really really do...

But...
    "Pokemon Generations" anime shorts. (Article in thread OP)

Red fighting Noivern? So it's confirmed it's all through Red's perspective...

Red is great, I get that. But I'm sorry, the gen 5 (BW) story needs to utilize its own protagonists. That was one of the biggest parts of the premise: that the protagonists were "chosen ones," not just some random kid who happened to cross paths with Team Plasma now and then (that was in B2W2, but considering I see N in the promo image and he's way more important to BW...).

Even though the episodes are super short, it's a really cool way to give some spotlight to the other gens' stories since Origins never went past gen 1. But seeing this... it looks like it's gonna just be more gen 1-pandering; I wouldn't be surprised if the gen 1 "story" got most of the focus, and only 1 episode for each other gen, featuring Red and his gen 1 team throughout the whole thing...

Please prove me wrong, TPC. Please, please prove me wrong. We already got Origins and it was great, we do not need another gen 1-centric anime... I really want them to take advantage of this to actually give some spotlight to the other gens since they never, ever get it.

To be fair, we only see Red in Kanto and Terminous cave. That's where this scene and the zygarde one takes place. He might be in all of them, but I wouldn't say it rules out others appearing or getting a short.

Especially since Blue has one focused on him beating the Elite 4. We see him fight lance and Bruno. Looker has one focused on himself as an officer it seems. Cheryl also seems to have one as no one is with her but chansey. So we might see others take the lead role.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Its not just the gen 5 protagonists that have gotten the shaft. Silver from the gen 2 games has also gotten the animated shaft, with his only onscreen appearance being in the opening of that Legend of Thunder special. Trenchcoat Giovanni gives me hope Silver will get some spot light. He's arguably the most well developed rival from the games, so he deserves better. I'd also apply that to Wally as well.
    This, absolutely! Silver is an amazing rival and it would be awesome to see an episode through his perspective--and another with Wally, too. Since he's hinted to have asthma in-game it would be really inspiring to see him trying to get through places like Route 113 and overcome those hardships together with his Pokémon.

I'm in full agreement for White/Hilda over Black/Hilbert. Hilbert just looks way too similar to Red and would likely have a similar personality if they went with him. Hilda is also my favorite female design. To me, she is the most badass looking female protagonist bar none, and it is a crime that she has had basically no animated representation whatsoever. Even Hilbert got some representation what with Ash's BW attire having similarities to his.
    Hilda is my favorite protagonist of the series so I really feel this... I'd be really happy to see her have a confrontation with N, or a recreation of the Ferris wheel scene with her through N's perspective, like what he's thinking.

Maybe they'll pull a literal gen 5 with the gen 5 episodes and have them not involve Red since gen 5 "cut ties" with the other generations. That could allow Hilda to make an appearance.

To be fair, we only see Red in Kanto and Terminous cave. That's where this scene and the zygarde one takes place. He might be in all of them, but I wouldn't say it rules out others appearing or getting a short.

Especially since Blue has one focused on him beating the Elite 4. We see him fight lance and Bruno. Looker has one focused on himself as an officer it seems. Cheryl also seems to have one as no one is with her but chansey. So we might see others take the lead role.
    I may need to check again but I think I saw a Pikachu getting involved with Regigigas, too, so to me it looked like Red was just all over the place... I can imagine a character like Blue getting his own episode(s) just due to gen 1 bias, as well.

But I do think, hope, there's a chance that Red is limited to just the gen 1 and 6 "arcs." Although it would raise the question as to why he's in Kalos at all but... we shall see!

Also, I think the segment with Looker is really cool. I think that will be dealing with Team Galactic but from Looker's perspective... Team Galactic did flat-out bomb at least one lake in-game so it makes sense for Looker to get back-up from a SWAT team.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • I love how everyone is assuming Red's the hero of all of them. I'm pretty sure he's going to have a few episodes dedicated to him (he is the oldest protagonist and if this is the missing tales, he's got alot of them), but there's also a few scenes in there that are very clearly episodes NOT FEATURING RED. Case in point: whatever that Looker episode is. Looker commanding SWAT teams in the Pokemon Universe? That's not exactly a Red-centric story. Plus if they're featuring a post-R/B/Y/FR/LG Giovanni, then Red's not involved at all in that tale.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I love how everyone is assuming Red's the hero of all of them. I'm pretty sure he's going to have a few episodes dedicated to him (he is the oldest protagonist and if this is the missing tales, he's got alot of them), but there's also a few scenes in there that are very clearly episodes NOT FEATURING RED. Case in point: whatever that Looker episode is. Looker commanding SWAT teams in the Pokemon Universe? That's not exactly a Red-centric story. Plus if they're featuring a post-R/B/Y/FR/LG Giovanni, then Red's not involved at all in that tale.

He's not involved with Zygarde and Terminous Cave at all, either, but there he is anyways. And just because they didn't show him outright with Looker yet doesn't mean he won't necessarily be there on the sidelines--and with all the gen 1 pandering that's been going on in SM and across the year in general, that kind of idea doesn't sit well with fans of the other protagonists. I hope it doesn't turn out to be the case, but the chance is still there that Red's going to be the "protagonist" throughout all these "generations," even if some episodes don't center around him.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I love how everyone is assuming Red's the hero of all of them. I'm pretty sure he's going to have a few episodes dedicated to him (he is the oldest protagonist and if this is the missing tales, he's got alot of them), but there's also a few scenes in there that are very clearly episodes NOT FEATURING RED. Case in point: whatever that Looker episode is. Looker commanding SWAT teams in the Pokemon Universe? That's not exactly a Red-centric story. Plus if they're featuring a post-R/B/Y/FR/LG Giovanni, then Red's not involved at all in that tale.

Yes but what does red have to do with Zygrade and Kalos ?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • ELI5 why is people actually having some sort of problem with Red being apparently the MC when the literally ONLY thing he got was the rushed series that was Origins? I mean, sure, he's in a better position than characters like Silver or HG/SS's Jimmy or the Unova 4 Mains, but still.

Anyways, everything sounded wonderful until I've read 3-5 long episodes, I just can't enjoy those.
    I'll prolly watch it along the Mega Evolution Specials once it's done.
    EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'll enjoy it even less if what we're getting is Reduto. His voice was just horrible in every single aspect.

EDIT2:
    Yes but what does red have to do with Zygrade and Kalos ?
    Prolly: "Red goes to the Kalos Region on his journey to become a Pokemon Master and gets in the middle of Team Flare's evil plans because we need a plot".

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm surprisingly excited for this, it was totally unexpected! For gen IV, I would love to see the Distortion World portion of Platinum animated in this style. Just imagine how dope that would look!

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • Yes but what does red have to do with Zygrade and Kalos ?

He's not involved with Zygarde and Terminous Cave at all, either, but there he is anyways. And just because they didn't show him outright with Looker yet doesn't mean he won't necessarily be there on the sidelines--and with all the gen 1 pandering that's been going on in SM and across the year in general, that kind of idea doesn't sit well with fans of the other protagonists. I hope it doesn't turn out to be the case, but the chance is still there that Red's going to be the "protagonist" throughout all these "generations," even if some episodes don't center around him.

OR, as the trailer more heavily implies: THESE ARE THE OFF-SCREEN ADVENTURES. That story could be pre-XY. Blue's champion battle wasn't something we saw. We never saw Cheryl in a cave. We never saw Looker commanding SWAT teams before. These are the untold stories. Just because Red is at Terminus Cave in the story, doesn't mean its the XY Terminus Cave story. Heck, I'm more inclined to believe he's getting a few stories since its been what? 3-5 years in-universe without any knowledge of what he's been doing, but he's not the sole protagonist. We see that several times. There's a Blue story about him becoming champion, yes Red Cameos in it, but that's only because the two characters are linked. There's a story about Looker. There's a story about Cheryl. And hell, its speculation that its Terminus Cave. The closest evidence for that is the scene of cheryl being chased by a Noivern. But Caves are so ubiquitous in Pokemon it does not therefore follow that all the cave scenes were the same episode. For all we know, its in Unova or Sinnoh and its actually a crossover tale about how Regigigas and Zygarde encountered each other and Red happened to be there.

The more realistic view of this: Marketing pushed Red's scenes to the front to snag the Pokemon Go players who haven't been around since Gen I/II and Red is the iconic character from those days. That's marketing, not reality.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • ELI5 why is people actually having some sort of problem with Red being apparently the MC when the literally ONLY thing he got was the rushed series that was Origins? I mean, sure, he's in a better position than characters like Silver or HG/SS's Jimmy or the Unova 4 Mains, but still.

Anyways, everything sounded wonderful until I've read 3-5 long episodes, I just can't enjoy those.
    I'll prolly watch it along the Mega Evolution Specials once it's done.
    EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'll enjoy it even less if what we're getting is Reduto. His voice was just horrible in every single aspect.

EDIT2:

Prolly: "Red goes to the Kalos Region on his journey to become a Pokemon Master and gets in the middle of Team Flare's evil plans because we need a plot".

I don't think it is Red in general that people are upset about. What I think most people are upset about is all of the Gen 1 focus, when a very large amount of people prefer the other generations. I mean every single thing pokemon related that has come out this year is catering to Gen 1. I know it is the 20th Ann, but there is more than just Gen 1 that people like more.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm surprisingly excited for this, it was totally unexpected! For gen IV, I would love to see the Distortion World portion of Platinum animated in this style. Just imagine how dope that would look!
    The entire "series" will be 18 episodes, so if they keep things completely 100% equal that means each gen gets 3 episodes. For gen 4 I can totally imagine the episodes being "Vs. Team Galactic - Looker's Perspective" "Giratina and the Distortion World - Cynthia's Perspective" and maybe "Perspective of the Stat Trainers" (since we saw Cheryl).

OR, as the trailer more heavily implies: THESE ARE THE OFF-SCREEN ADVENTURES. That story could be pre-XY. Blue's champion battle wasn't something we saw. We never saw Cheryl in a cave. We never saw Looker commanding SWAT teams before. These are the untold stories.
    They're "untold stories" but they're still based on what happened in-game. They're not just made from the ground-up for the sake of this series. So seeing Red in places where he clearly wasn't is just strange and fans would for the most part rather see the appropriate protagonist--the ones who, for the record, never got their own "Origins" series.

And hell, its speculation that its Terminus Cave.
    It has the mine carts Terminus Cave is known for and Zygarde so I mean it's pretty solid speculation, if you want to refer to it as that.

For all we know, its in Unova or Sinnoh and its actually a crossover tale about how Regigigas and Zygarde encountered each other and Red happened to be there.
    This is what I'm talking about more further up: they're not gonna make up some story that never happened for the sake of this 5-minute-episode series. They're scenes from the original games, but through a different perspective. But Red shouldn't be there if he wasn't there to begin with.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • The entire "series" will be 18 episodes, so if they keep things completely 100% equal that means each gen gets 3 episodes. For gen 4 I can totally imagine the episodes being "Vs. Team Galactic - Looker's Perspective" "Giratina and the Distortion World - Cynthia's Perspective" and maybe "Perspective of the Stat Trainers" (since we saw Cheryl).

They're "untold stories" but they're still based on what happened in-game. They're not just made from the ground-up for the sake of this series. So seeing Red in places where he clearly wasn't is just strange and fans would for the most part rather see the appropriate protagonist--the ones who, for the record, never got their own "Origins" series.

It has the mine carts Terminus Cave is known for and Zygarde so I mean it's pretty solid speculation, if you want to refer to it as that.

This is what I'm talking about more further up: they're not gonna make up some story that never happened for the sake of this 5-minute-episode series. They're scenes from the original games, but through a different perspective. But Red shouldn't be there if he wasn't there to begin with.

I can squash this right here: when did we see Looker with a SWAT team?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I can squash this right here: when did we see Looker with a SWAT team?

We saw him in Platinum as a member of InterPol sent to keep tabs on Team Galactic. Team Galactic is incredibly dangerous and has even resorted to the use of bombs in-game; as such, even though it was not feasible to include such a detailed event in Platinum, the scene we saw in the footage is likely Looker and his backup trying to infiltrate Team Galactic's HQ. It's based on what happened in-game, not a completely new mish-mash of stories.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • We saw him in Platinum as a member of InterPol sent to keep tabs on Team Galactic. Team Galactic is incredibly dangerous and has even resorted to the use of bombs in-game; as such, even though it was not feasible to include such a detailed event in Platinum, the scene we saw in the footage is likely Looker and his backup trying to infiltrate Team Galactic's HQ. It's based on what happened in-game, not a completely new mish-mash of stories.

Oh, so then you weren't being serious when you said:

Then you've already contradicted yourself. They're either the off-screen events based on whats in-game OR they're the in-game events from a different perspective. You can't say its one or the other to support yourself when its convenient. We're already seeing things that did not occur in-game. We never saw Red near Regigigas, we never saw Cheryl in a cave. We never saw Looker with SWAT teams. And heck, your stating with confidence its an attempted raid on Team Galactic: hate to break this to you: Looker also fought Team Plasma and Team Flare and had a battle with an unidentified group that murdered his Croagunk off-screen.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    They're either the off-screen events based on whats in-game OR they're the in-game events from a different perspective. You can't say its one or the other to support yourself when its convenient.
    They're kinda the same thing, though, aren't they? The times where Looker wasn't around but was still doing his part to help against Team Galactic... It is an in-game event, but because it's from Looker's perspective, it may not have been shown. Or another way to view it: an event they took from in-game and added detail that could not have been possible to include in-game due to technical limitations.

And heck, your stating with confidence its an attempted raid on Team Galactic: hate to break this to you: Looker also fought Team Plasma and Team Flare and had a battle with an unidentified group that murdered his Croagunk off-screen.
    Yes but these episodes are going to be, what, 3-5 minutes long each. It makes more sense for Looker to be the focus of an episode regarding Team Galatic since gen 4 is his "home turf." Not to mention that, when it came to Team Plasma, Looker was only involved in helping the player locate the remaining Sages, and the Looker Bureau of gen 6 was much more low-key, making it seem much more likely that this footage comes from episodes centered around gen 4.

Unless Looker is like the link who ties all the episodes together or something but again these episodes are gonna be a bit too short for that...

Also, no need to get so confrontational. People just don't want to be watching a recreation of a major scene from, say, gen 3 but then lose immersion because Red's there instead of Brendan or May.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • This sounds nice, but where are the Gen V protagonists? Where is Calem, why only Red? I'm kinda unhapapy with the cast choices. But, at least Red came back? A five minute runtime is barely enough to tell a story, but I suppose I'll watch this to see how it goes. Guess we'll see how it goes.

I'm not excited about seeing Ghetsis again, though. :| I was tired of him in the first place. Wonder if each episode will feature a different character or something. Hmm.

Also, I highly doubt Red is going to be the central character.

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Looking forward to this a lot but, if there's no Gold vs Red episode, it'll be a gigantic disappointment for me. That's literally the most iconic moment in the franchise.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I don't think it is Red in general that people are upset about. What I think most people are upset about is all of the Gen 1 focus, when a very large amount of people prefer the other generations. I mean every single thing pokemon related that has come out this year is catering to Gen 1. I know it is the 20th Ann, but there is more than just Gen 1 that people like more.

I just woke up so I don't remember that well what went through my brain when I wrote that, but I think that I meant it because i've read this:
    Right? And I know everyone loves Red, but it would have been so cool to see the other protagonists take the leading role, too, especially some of the female ones.

^ As if Misty, May, Dawn, Iris and Serena didn't got a whole season worth of appearences taking minor to important roles depending on the episodes.
    It definitely got me biased and I automatically decided to take it as more than 1 person because I'm just plain stupid sometimes.

Years
  • I really haven't watched much of the anime, but I'm pretty interested about checking it out. The battle scenes look better than in the other anime, and seeing a character other than Ash is good too. I wish the episodes were longer, but hey, if this is successful, maybe a full season of something like this will be made with full length episodes.

Back