• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Go dead?

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I still play but at this point rarely. If they do more events like during the week of Halloween for other holidays and occasions along with eventually adding trading, individual battles, and Generation 2 Pokemon the game will sustain.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
    The Halloween event actually shot Pokémon GO profits up 133% compared to previous weeks and the game as of now still averages more than $2 million in daily revenue, so yes, people still play.

From a personal standpoint, my office building still has active lures going on during lunch hours every day.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    Not dead, but dying. As I see it, the game now has two types of players. The first type was attracted by collecting pokemon, and either not interested in gym play or found it too difficult. These players made it to level 15-20 and eventually lost interest and are mostly non-players at this point.

The second type of player figured out the gym mechanics, and managed to reap stardust reward and get their pokemon above the 2000 CP level. These players are now level 25-35 and still playing (but there are not many of us). But now almost every gym is level 10, it will be interesting to see how the new update changes things.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    I just started getting more involved with arenas, standing solidly in 7 arenas, some so strong that i expected them to last.

Now the update caused people to go a bit nuts and most arenas got destroyed. I noticed that powering up arenas really got significantly harder.

In the near future, i will not level up any arenas, instead i will just beat them down and put in one of my pokemon, leveling them up is rather pointless now.

Years

I play. Of course I play. Nothing makes missing a bus or running an errand better. I am Level 21 and gunning for 22. I would like to learn about gyms. I've lost several pounds (Not that many) from all the walking. Pokemon Go pushes my super strong foraging instinct. I have a chance to try the All Souls route tonight and plenty of Poke Balls, though with my luck and bad aim, I'll end up losing them all on one creature.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
    I still play it religiously and I know loads of people in my area that do. The gyms around my local town and the wider area constantly change hands and there are always lures at Pokéstops.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I still play to complete the Pokedex. Unfortunately thats probably not going to happen until 2018.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2016
    I still play, although hatching 10K eggs and getting nothing special is a big downer

Years
    I still play, but I find it easier to play passively, like just if you're on the bus or getting a ride or something like that. I'd probably play more if I could hold down a gym, but they're all maxed out around me so it's kind of difficult to spend enough time to get one of my guys into one. I wouldn't call Go dead either considering the amount they still make and the fact that there's an active forum about it and that Niantic hasn't abandoned the game/updates it regularily. I mean, in some areas it's probably died down, especially since all the trend hoppers have hopped onto the next thing too, but it's still alive if you check its pulse.

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    I don't think it's dead, because I still see many other people still play it, and I do mean many other people. And Of course I still play it, I only started playing a bit over 1 month ago.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    a lot of people like me still play it. however, I am not interested in more than the first time. I think some others have the same feeling as me.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    If you look at it's revenue, it's definitely not dead, but it has become more of a game to passively play (if you're heading somewhere new or walking a long distance). As most casual players have stopped playing, the hype seems to have died down under most. In my group of Pokémon playing friends, it eventually stopped at the end of summer break because we had no time to walk around town anymore, and now with Sun/Moon they definitely stopped. But from time to time I still see the map on people's phones, and I know children still play it.

I personally never wanted to stop, but I have been kicked out of the game because I have a rooted phone and they banned those from using Pokémon GO to avoid GPS spoofers (which can be done without having a rooted device). As I rooted my phone to improve usability I'm not gonna remove it just like that, so that's why I haven't played since. I've yet to find a way around the ban, because I still want to play.

Though the game probably isn't as exciting to play as the first time, it's still one of the most genius games from this year. Definitely one of the best things of Pokémon's 20th anniversary.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I hadn't played it in a while, but I booted it up again recently with the update. I'm still not sure how much I'll get back into it, though, and it seems kind of dead around me. My main issues are:

1. It's banned at the location where I spend most of my time during the work week (and has been since the summer).
    2. My phone is getting to be on the older side, and the battery life isn't great. Pokemon GO kills my battery too much.
    3. I was having too much trouble getting it to track my steps properly, and that made it hard to hatch eggs. Now, the egg spawn rate seems lower than before, so I'm having trouble getting more eggs to hatch. I also liked using Pokemon GO to get a sense of how much I was walking, but I got a Fitbit this fall, and that obviously works much better for that purpose.
    4. I didn't really hit the ground running at the beginning (couldn't access the server for several days at the start when other people were leveling up, and never really caught up). Because I've been behind the curve from the start, I've never stood a chance at gyms, so I pretty much just catch Pokemon when I have the chance. It's fun, but given the other issues I have, I tend to spend more of my free time playing "real" Pokemon games instead.

I think the weather probably isn't helping Pokemon GO much. In the summer, people are happy to walk around and catch Pokemon. In the winter, though, it's colder, and people don't spend as much time outdoors (and definitely don't want to have to hunt down Pokemon). If there's another update next spring, I could see it catching on again, though not with the same degree of hype as the original release.

For now, I'll continue adding to my Pokedex when I have the chance, but I've also come to terms with the fact that I'm unlikely to every complete everything I would like to in Pokemon GO. As a completionist and a perfectionist, my inability to near that goal bugs me a bit, and leads me to spend more time playing 3DS Pokemon titles, where I know my efforts will pay off if I put the time in.

Years

Last week, I had trouble logging in (My phone was working for other applications so it was not the phone) probably due to a crowded server.

I return home and charge or charge on the go regularly. I have GPS Test, an application that helps improve the GPS lock. I also just got a set of cell phone gloves so I can play in what passes for winter in my part of the world.

I know that winter will winnow the crowd, and right now, I can't wait.

Years
    It is definitely not dead, and it is still a really cool app.

However, the reason why I stopped playing is simply because I could not encounter different Pokemon no matter where I went. I always saw the same old Pokemon like Caterpie and Pidgey. There really was no variety for me, for whatever reason. It just got boring for me because of that.

I'll probably redownload it in the future and give it another chance. But to answer the question, I don't think its 'dead.' When the Johto Pokemon were announced, I saw a lot of activity again like how it was in the beginning.

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
    Around my town, you don't see people walking the streets at night or bicyclists nearly getting hit by vehicles with PokemonGo in hand anymore. I'm sure it's just as alive now, but its popularity has diminished. Like any new game or hype, it does die down eventually.

As for me, I've stopped playing for the reason that it got rather tedious to me. I wasn't patient enough to collect all the Pokemon that were becoming a pain to find, not to mention that I've collected an army of Raticates thanks to how common Rattatas became back then.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 20, 2017
    It's nearly dead. Niantic are trying their best to kill it, so we will all go play Ingress instead.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
    Dead? No
    Less played? Yes

Summer time is over for most people. So walking around catching Pokemon in the nice summer breeze is a thing we'll have to wait for a few months. Walking in -25°C weather is not fun. School is back so less time for to play as well. Also all those sheeps that never touched a Pokemon game/played a Pokemon game in ages have also lost interest.

Am I still playing? Not like I did in summer, but I still do play. Once spring hits and the nice weather comes back, I will definitely start playing more once again.

Back