• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon go killing battery life

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
    Pokemon go has recently been draining my battery like crazy, even with low power mode on along with battery saver in the in game settings my phone goes from 100% fully charged to 0% within 4 hours of playing, even less if I'm doing a lot of gym battles. I find it very difficult to play when it eats through my battery this fast, is this normal or is it time to invest in a new phone/new battery? I have an iPhone 6 which I've had for just over a year if that makes a difference. Any help is appreciated.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Have you tried any other tweaks such as lowering your brightness, turning off the volume, etc.? I any case, I don't think you have to upgrade it's just a matter of closing background applications that you aren't using while GO is running. Since you are playing it for long periods of time, it may be wise to invest in a battery charging case.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
    Have you tried any other tweaks such as lowering your brightness, turning off the volume, etc.? I any case, I don't think you have to upgrade it's just a matter of closing background applications that you aren't using while GO is running. Since you are playing it for long periods of time, it may be wise to invest in a battery charging case.

Usually have my sound muted and brightness all the way down, also I have a battery case which seems to charge extremely slow and just keep my battery from going any lower, whilst also making my phone get hot. People have mentioned it being the new ios 10 update but it was still like this before the update, at least for me. How much does pokemon go drain your battery life?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Usually have my sound muted and brightness all the way down, also I have a battery case which seems to charge extremely slow and just keep my battery from going any lower, whilst also making my phone get hot. People have mentioned it being the new ios 10 update but it was still like this before the update, at least for me. How much does pokemon go drain your battery life?

It doesn't drain that much, though I play considerably less than you do on a daily basis. It's quite posisble that it could be iOS 10, it's had a lot of problems since it's release.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Its the 3d graphics, it consumes the battery charge often in around 3 hours when i actively play.

I have additional batteries that i can use to charge my phone with me.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 30, 2024
    My phone is usually dead after about 2 2km eggs hatched. It's difficult to hatch eggs when you can only do one egg a day, or in terms of 10km, a week.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    I usually get about 3 hours of PoGo before my battery dies, I bought a £5 portable charger which gets me another 3 hours of battery

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    I have a small powerbank that delivers 5 volts 1 amp to one port, it has 2200mAh capacity, and a big one with two ports, a power indicator, and 10000mAh.

The small one works for around 90 minutes, and while the game runs, it cannot get the phone up to 100% if you plug it in when the phone is down to 25%. But for those 90 minutes, my phone charges up quite a bit instead of going down.

The big one lasts all day.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
    I have a small powerbank that delivers 5 volts 1 amp to one port, it has 2200mAh capacity, and a big one with two ports, a power indicator, and 10000mAh.

The small one works for around 90 minutes, and while the game runs, it cannot get the phone up to 100% if you plug it in when the phone is down to 25%. But for those 90 minutes, my phone charges up quite a bit instead of going down.

The big one lasts all day.

It's not ideal walking around with an external battery and a cable tbh, especially when pokemon go requires a lot of walking.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    It's not ideal walking around with an external battery and a cable tbh, especially when pokemon go requires a lot of walking.

But what can you do? Play less often, play for a shorter amount of time before you go home?

At least some phones, like my Galaxy S5, allows you to easily replace the original internal battery, so you could buy more of those, but those are expensive and if you go for off-brand alternatives they last less long. Also you can only charge these inside the phone, so when you come back with 3 empty ones because you swapped them 2 times when playing for a long time, you need to swap them all again to charge them all up.

When i suspect that i might play for a long time, i bring a very short cable and also the regular cable, this way i can put the power bank directly under my phone and hold both in one hand, or use the long cable and put the power bank in the side-pocket of my backpack. Its basically the best you can do.

Maybe a special case that holds one phone and one power bank to turn both into one solid packet could be a way to go.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    yeah pokemon go does kill your battery. that is why im happy i have the pokemon go plus. it really does save battery. try turning down the brightness on your phone or getting an extra battery pack.

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Try these solutions:
    How to enable Pokémon Go's battery saver mode

How to save the battery life of your phone when playing Pokemon Go
    Thankfully it's pretty easy to eke out more battery life, thanks to Pokémon Go's battery saver mode. To enable the battery saver mode, open up the Pokémon Go app, and then tap on the "Setting" button on the top-right corner of the screen.

Scroll down the menu until you see 'Battery Saver'. Tap it to select it (a tick will appear), and then you can turn your phone upside down, which will dim the screen.

This will save precious battery life while you play Pokémon Go. Turning off sound effects, music and vibration will also help keep your battery from draining too fast.

Use offline maps in Pokémon Go

Pokémon Go uses Google Maps to pull the world data to your smartphone, and while you're out and about this uses your data connection, which in turn drain your battery while playing Pokémon Go.

However, you can download Google Maps for offline use, which will improve the performance of Pokémon Go.

To do this, open up the Google Maps app, select the Settings menu (shown by an icon with three horizontal lines) and tap on 'Offline areas'.

Press the '+' icon then use the map to drawn a square of the area you want to download, then tap on 'Download'.

Get a battery pack

If all else fails you can buy a battery pack to keep your smartphone topped up while you play Pokémon Go.

Portable power packs can be charged separately, and then plugged into your phone's USB or Lightning port to charge the battery when needed. It could be a real life saver if you're about to take on a Gym in Pokémon Go!

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    The other methods, like turning down screen brightness, turning off sound and vibrations, and google offline maps, do not do much.

You could say that none of this really works, unless you like REALLY LOUD AUDIO. None of these tricks will make any significant difference because none of these things (except for REALLY LOUD AUDIO) are major battery drainers.

You can make a case that its all nonsense, and that running around with a barely visible screen and no vibration to alert you of a spawn will only hurt your gaming experience but not help your battery life.

The big drainer of energy is also revealed in a very obvious way by causing your phone to get warm. Its the game itself, more specifically the complex 3d graphics.

That cuts it down to two solutions: Pokemon go plus, and battery packs.

Last edited:

pokecubestore

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2016
    I turn my phone to low battery mode, turn on the Pokemon GO battery saver mode and plug in an external charger at all times :)

Years
    • Age 29
    • She/Her
    • Seen Sep 8, 2022
    I feel you man. I bring my charger to school everyday now cuz of this game lol

Years
    My iPhone 5s lasts about 5 hours of continuous play time. I also keep a 10000mah battery charger with me to extend it close to 12 hours when I know I'll be out most of the day.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    One little mistake i made:

For one of my trips to a nest, i only brought a short cable, the idea was to just carry the phone and the power bank in the same hand.

Bad idea. The rather compact and small 10k power bank is 3 times heavier than the phone. It took a while to notice it, after two hours it felt kinda bad but i tried to compensate by switching hands, carrying phone + power bank with the right hand every now and then.

My left arm really felt like shit after 3 hours because you hold that weight in such an awkward position as you look at the screen and use your main hand to do stuff with the touchscreen. No this is not good training for your arm, holding a weight in a fixed awkward position for hours is just bad even if the weight is low.

Training is when you do carefully planned motions with a weight that is 20-100 times higher, with motions designed to strain your muscles and not your joints and tendons.

So avoid that, use a long cable and have the power bank in one of your pockets, or your backpack. Your hand should only carry the weight of your phone, and a part of the weight of the cable, avoid anything more than that, it just messes up your arm.

Back