• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gold hack: Pokemon Gold Beta Map Restoration Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
Years
  • There aren't really enough early screenshots to work with. Also If I wanted to do that I would have used a japanese pokemon red/Green rom because those early screenshots were of that quality. One screenshot which has been mentioned half a dozen times, I have been unable to find or get anyone to find. I wanted that GS beta skateboard screenshot that I heard about. Find that screenshot. Also those tilesets won't appear in game even if I tried or at least where I stand now anyways.

Sorry to sink your boat but there were no screenshots released with the skateboard on. It was the same with Beta Red and Green, Game Freak promised Girl/Boy feature but no Beta screenshots of this were released.

If you ever heard or saw screenshots of it, they were obviously fake...

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2009
    Darn! Oh well scrap that feature. Try to find some info that I don't already know about or find some info that I am interested in. Try getting the Entei event script so I can see what I need to do for it. As for the Soul House thing, judging by stair case tiles in the same tileset it is very likely that (at one time anyways) Soul house had an underground dungeon at some point in Gold and Silver's production.

I'm actually not feeling up to doing major work today. I have Diarrhea Right now so My stomach hurts a little. Hacking today would be impossible today because of it. Sorry if that was gross but it is the truth.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    The one thing that really steams me is that in the pokemon hacking scene you are expected to use a hex editor and using any rom hacking tools is a sin. What is the point in making tools if it is frowned upon to use them for hacks. This is the only rom hacking community I know of that doesn't consider using hacking tools other than hex editors as hacking.
    Pokécommunity as a whole doesn't feel that way. Certain prominent members do, however. Do realize that whenever I've recommended that you learn hex, it's because the tools don't actually exist or are inadequate for the task in question.
    Sure hex editing is easy but not on a forum whose tutorial and toolbox sections are so disorganized that it is hard to find exactly what you are looking for.
    Yes, PC is far from the best place to learn hacking. Unfortunately there are few alternatives in the Pokémon scene.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2009
    Hello IIIMarkus. Good to see you here. How goes everything for you? I know PC isn't perfect but maybe the admins can help with organizinjg the stuff. That would take forever though. Maybe the should change the posting rules to where they actually require what games the hacking tools work for. I'm sure there are other areas to find the information. What I really want is private lessons on hex and scripting. Someone who will guide me through it step by step. Maybe have a couple of practice hacks that they assign for me to do and tell me what part they want hacked and how to do it. Sort of like a hex tutor. I need to get and Instant messenger account. I'm a very slow learner at some things so I'll need a very patient person. If any one has spare time and wants to take that challenge please do so. Thanks!^_^

Innocence

PC Lurker: I'm watching you...
    Years
  • The one thing that really steams me is that in the pokemon hacking scene you are expected to use a hex editor and using any rom hacking tools is a sin. What is the point in making tools if it is frowned upon to use them for hacks. This is the only rom hacking community I know of that doesn't consider using hacking tools other than hex editors as hacking. Grow up and realize they can do some things that hex editing can too and that with hacking tools you are modifying the code too not just editing. Sure hex editing is easy but not on a forum whose tutorial and toolbox sections are so disorganized that it is hard to find exactly what you are looking for. Some one should catagorize those by game because those two threads look like my bedroom.

Anyways I just don'tfeel like hacking at the moment. I'm not giving up or anything like that. I'm just taking a little breather thats all.

I'm just telling you like it is.

To quote Darthatron...I think...A good hacker uses tools to hack, but knows how to do it without tools anyway. Something like that.

~Red

Years
  • My view is this: Using tools doesn't make you better or worse hacker. Some people just can't get their head around HEX. It's the quality of the hack itself that counts. ;)

I'm starting to use HEX now on my project.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2009
    Sorry I've been away for so long. I've been tied up in the Sonic Adventure DX Pc game I got last week. Anyways no updates have been made currently. I've gotten too lazy to work on my hack so I don't know when it will be finished. Still I'm not quiting just taking a long extended break from it. Oh btw I got the flash save to work. Unfortunately the game saves but the savefile doesn't appear. This will help me finish the game after the elite four so I can save states before and after that point.

~Red

Years
  • Sorry I've been away for so long. I've been tied up in the Sonic Adventure DX Pc game I got last week. Anyways no updates have been made currently. I've gotten too lazy to work on my hack so I don't know when it will be finished. Still I'm not quiting just taking a long extended break from it. Oh btw I got the flash save to work. Unfortunately the game saves but the savefile doesn't appear. This will help me finish the game after the elite four so I can save states before and after that point.

That's ok, take your time. Hacks arent finished in the first week. I have an idea about your hack but I'll PM you it...

poddish

Spirit Of Radio
    Years
  • Oh sorry about that. Those objects looked really strange though. Ihardly play crystal anymore so my apologies/

~link smash~'s quote:

"Wait is this gold with maps changed and some areas added? If so then this really snt considered a hack. I saw the vids and read the post but i really dont think this could be considered a hack. Oh in the cinibar vid-the first one-you mention you cant hex edit. Does that still apply? Cause if so then well you wont go far. No one will come in to the thread and say gee ill spend my time working on the main part of someones hack instead of making my own!"

Oh really then I guess back in the old days that means that when all we could do were pallete and sprite hacks it wasn't considered hacking now was it? Judging by the way you are talking you're saying searching for offsets that are for maps not normally used by a map editor isn't hacking? I also think you are one of those people who has never used a single hacking tool in his life and relies on hex coding for everything. Yo udon't know that editing offsets exist in a tool. I don't enjoy hex editing because I would like to see visually what I'm editing before I edit it. I don't feel to safe doing that otherwise. Trial and error slows down the process. It doesn't speed it up. Recently though I planned On learning hex but only after I fully hacked the visual aspects of my hack first. My motto is "Get the stuff you know out of the way first. After that figure out how to do the stuff you don't know.

It would be great to have a skilled programmer work with me on hex and/or scripting side by side but i guess that will never happen seeing as I can't get anyone to cooperate with me. I don't plan on having that person do everything anyways. Just getting the hard stuff out of the way. Unfortunately m major slow down has been that no one has donated any new beta material to me yet. As a result I may have to postpone the hack.

If anyone wants to lift a finger and get beta stuff for me (i.e. map files, Prototype screenshots and/or prototype videos. Any of those thing are urgently needed) I'm not looking for the four early Alpha screenshots that are seen most often. I'm talking about any other prototype screenshots. (Most notably the beta Skateboard screenshot. These and the scrapped prototype objects and text are all we have of the prototypes.

Don't ever think that someone will ever steal and dump a GSC rom. Nintendo has been known to hold onto stuff forever and lie to the public about some things. Trust me on this NOA is especially notorious for this. They have become so money hungry now that they no longer care as much as they used to for their customers. They were just as noble to their customers as SEGA was to theirs during the 90's. Now it appears some new hot shot is pulling the strings at NOA rather than the same caring person who ran NOA back in the 90's. If it is the same guy I would really want to know why he changed so much. It actually saddens be that such a good company would be ruduced to distrust to its customers. What's the world coming to these days? Now all everyone cares about is money. It makes me wonder how many years away it will be until the next console manufacter loses all of its money and is downgraded to third party or nonexistant. Sorry for going off topic but I'm basicallly saying that since NOJ has such a tight lock on protos the only way to obtain one would be to buy one from NOJ or Gamefreak. That could cost millions of dollars/yen to buy just one pokemon prototype. The only reasons why SEGA has prototype leaks is because they are careless, they now are a third party company, and at least one prototype was stolten from a game show (Not contest Game Show, Game show as in a convention similar to a Car show.) in new York. It was then dumped and spread throughout the internet and eventually reached the Sonic Hacking Community in 1998. Don't expect a theif to steal a protoype cartridge from a facility like NOJ without running into some high standard security systems.

Anyways back on to topic: For all those newbies using Goldmap (any version.) Don't ever edit the tiles it screws up the collision data and can most likely make you walk out of the boundaries and send you to the glitch dimension. (Aka see Ho-Oh fly in full color on the title screen glitch.)

I'm experimenting with tiles and stuff using Golmap 1.5 to restore the beta tiles. (Which will probably be quite glitchy.)

Oh and ~link smash~ sorry for going off on you but you sounded really sarcastic which is not allowed by forum rules. I'm not trying to back seat mod just warning you to watch how you say stuff because people may take it the wrong way and get you into trouble.

Nintendo lied about missingno. when they said that it could cause terrible glitches, and delete your game, while it really just messes up your hall of fame data.

Also they spread rumors that they will ban everyone that clones in d/p, while only a small # got caught, and the reason legendaries weren't able to traded over gts was because they tried to limit cloning while they tried to make the glitch harder to pull off, but they told people that it was a glitch caused by battle revolution.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2009
    Indeed they lied about Missingno. Still This hack is postponed until further notice. I'm sorry to disappoint everyone but I need more practice with Scripting and Hex editing and unfortunately the fact that people are hounding me is getting on my nerves. Hacking really Stresses me out. As a result I go off on people who don't like what I make.

Roboto-kun

is an Ace Trainer.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2012
    Interesting. Wow. I wish I can find Gold's beta version around the net (I doubt I will).Anyhow, this discussion is interesting. :)

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Roboto-kun, please check the timestamp of the last post in a thread before posting. I'm not even going to ask how you found this.

Closed

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back