• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon...Government?

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    The goverment controls all that happen, create pokemon, can destroy worlds... yes, the goverment is... the writers!

Years
  • I'm noticing that most replies are looking at this in the context of the anime. Why not look at it in the perspective of the Pokemon Manga's (Such as PokeSpe) and Games.

In which BTW I saw in Gold/Johto the "President" in the Magnet train in Goldenrod City. =D

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    small towns are usually run by a mayor or something, i dunno about the bigger cities.

Visible Light

Take me to your king...
    Years
  • This aspect of the anime/game is not fully revealed. Even though we could assume the Pokemon League probably raises some money for the government and that could be what finances the PokeCenters...

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I have a question, too. Do humans eat Pokemon?
    I ate a Torchic once. It was delicious. It was like a chicken that cooked itself for you. Yummy yummy. It was against the law of course, but I got away by framing Rodger Rabbit (£10 if you get the horrible pun I just typed).

Anyway, I think the Pokéworld has no government. I mean, what kind of government let wild, disease-infected, vicious, multi-coloured creatures roam the streets. They'd at least ban people using them to fight eachother and probably wouldn't let us keep them in air-tight, tiny Pokéballs.

Years
  • Mirage Kingdom

Well, we know they got monarchs. How common they are...well, does it really matter? Think about it this way: what's our vantage point? Compare Ash and pkmn trainers in general to athletes. If you followed Chris Cooley around all day, you're not at all likely to end up talking to one of the Senators from Wyoming. What'll he be doing? Going to training camp...pkmn trainers must surely live in their own sphere of the world a bit isolated from everyone else. When was the last time we saw a human doctor? Season one? Yeah, all we see are pkmn doctors because that's all that matters...the mayor or king or whomever has no business with someone who should be raising their Cacnea to be the next superstar.

I completely agree with you. I feel like they don't get into any kind of government issues because it's irrelevant to the story. Unless there is ever a pokemon game where you have to go save the president or something, government probably isn't going to come into play at all.

Also, just because pokemon are very important in their world, doesn't mean the gym leaders and stuff are in charge of everything. I think of the gyms as being like sports play offs and the elite four as the Super Bowl or something along though lines. It is huge in the pokemon world just like sports are in ours. That doesn't mean that those people are in charge of anything else.

Pokedude45

Pro Trainer and Pokemon Fan
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2010
    I think there is no Government
    people build their own houses and stores and poke centers no ones lazy about doing anything and because the people who build the shops also run it everyone's happy and everyone makes money by battling everyone its perfect
    People also help each other out I definitely Think our world should be more like the Pokemon world
    And with no government there's no society to get angry at and everyone can express themselves the thing no one understands is team magma aqua and galaxy may seem bad but all make good points like Team Aqua:without water their is no life Team Magma: Without land there is no were for life to live on Team Galaxy: Making a Better more peaceful universe.
    O and one last thing I Hate Politics

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
  • With Lt. Surge in mind, he is an American who supposedly fought in the first Persian Gulf War, but since Pokémon isn't meant to take place in any particular place, we aren't exactly supposed to think that where it takes place is the US, which is a constitutional republic, but the possibility always exists.

I've always had a hunch that it took place in America, but I guess we'll never know.

joehat

Yay
    Years
  • Pokemon is just an alternate universe. I mean take Inuyasha for example (it's not like the feudal era was the past, it was just an alternate universe). Pokemon takes place on Earth, just not here haha. But I don't believe it is based on America. I think the connections with actual Japan outweight connections with America (Bulbapedia explains this very very well). Except of course, the one random episode where everyone heads to Hollywood..obvious alternate universe because that episode shows that Pokemon have been in America for a long time.

Of course, being as the thread is Pokemon Government, I believe I've missed the point completely. Haha.

Pokedude45

Pro Trainer and Pokemon Fan
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2010
    Actually all the Pokemon Regons are based on actuall areas in japan
    so mybe they have a prime minister

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
  • It doesn't necessarily mean that it takes place in Japan.

You'd think though that after 13 years, there would be some sort of an idea for a government behind the whole thing. I think that more or less, there isn't meant to be much in the way of a government.

joehat

Yay
    Years
  • I was just playing LeafGreen, and I stopped at the Pokecenter in Fuschia City. I usually talk to all the NPC's in the games for fun and one of the girls in the center said that the Pokemon Leage HQ governs all trainers. So we at least have some (even if a very small) form of government.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned.

Years
  • I think the governments in the Pokémon world are either Democracies or Republics.

I was just playing LeafGreen, and I stopped at the Pokecenter in Fuschia City. I usually talk to all the NPC's in the games for fun and one of the girls in the center said that the Pokemon Leage HQ governs all trainers. So we at least have some (even if a very small) form of government.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned.
    I don't think the Pokémon League is a government but either a regulatory agency like the SEC or a department.

bluesonic1

I like this place <3
    Years
  • Hey guys :P Well, I was just watching Pokemon...when a thought came to me. How is everything run in the Pokemon World? Like, how is everything funded and run. Like...is it just a united government or something?

There most likely is a government but I guess it doesn't get featured in the anime since it's kinda of irrelevent to the episode storyline(s).

Years
  • I think it works (at least, in the anime) like city states, and collectively belong to a region which is like a union. Like Ash is always 'from Pallet Town' and so forth? In the beginning, I think it was originally Japan or the USA. Remember that one early episode when they went to Hollywood? I was like, seven and convinced Pokemon lived in California....But, yeah.

Sean Visinoni

Apple - Think Different ^^
    Years
  • I really do not think the world of pokemon has a government, I think they basically have a leader of each town or city, such as a gym leader, elite member, or an elderly...that's what I always thought anyway...
    Yes... i agree with Quick... it's a world of freedom... no government rules

Back