• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pokemon Green

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    The first two Pokémon games released were Pocket Monsters Red and Green. Both were exactly the same except for in‐game trades and available Pokémon.

After Pokémon became more popular, Pocket Monsters Blue was released. This had several changes and improvements. Bugs were fixed (and others introduced), Pokémon battle images were redrawn, and some cosmetic map changes were made—not in layout, just in appearance. However, Blue contained a redesigned Unknown Dungeon.

All non‐Japanese first‐gen games were based off of Pocket Monsters Blue. Pokémon Red and Blue were split from Pocket Monsters Blue, and their in‐game trades were changed to match those of Pocket Monsters Red and Green. Pokémon Red and Blue continued to use the battle sprites and overworld maps of Pocket Monsters Blue.

Shortly afterward, Pocket Monsters Yellow, based on Pocket Monsters Blue, was released in Japan. Foreign versions of Yellow were based off Pocket Monsters Yellow, and ever since then non‐Japanese games have been based off the corresponding Japanese version. In addition, Gold and Silver were derived from Yellow's source code, and Crystal was based of Gold and Silver's.

FireRed and LeafGreen were based off Red and Green's design. Among other things, this means that they use the original map of the Unknown Dungeon.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I found an English version of Green! Too bad the translation is terrible and there is Squrt and Bulba and Charm...

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I found an English version of Green! Too bad the translation is terrible and there is Squrt and Bulba and Charm...
    In the Japanese versions, nicknames and species names are limited to five characters (because Japanese by nature requires fewer characters to say something compared to English). Official English translations expand this to ten, but unofficial ROM hacks generally stick with the original limit.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Yeah, it sucks but it's fine. Also, it's been translated, if anyone wants the...... wait a minute... ROM's aren't allowed here, duh. Sorry, nearly broke the law, I don't need another infraction, so I won't.

Pingouin_7

Hey, do you know where are Lickitung and Jynx located in Green?

I know they were obtainable in the wild... But where???

(I wanna hack my hacked blue rom to put Jinxes and Lickitungs at the same place as in Green.)

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Hey, do you know where are Lickitung and Jynx located in Green?

I know they were obtainable in the wild... But where???

(I wanna hack my hacked blue rom to put Jinxes and Lickitungs at the same place as in Green.)

Check walkthroughs. They always say where are they.

Pingouin_7

They don't give me the right places. They say "Get from trade at Blah Blah place"

Years
    What is the difference between Green and R/B (Japenese version).

I thought they were exactly the same except different Pokemon to catch. But then it has the same Pokemon that can be found in Pokemon Blue version (North America).

So it's exactly like Pokemon Bue.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024

I thought they were exactly the same except different Pokemon to catch.
    Japanese Red and Green are exactly the same. They are only slightly different from Blue: small graphical changes and a few bugfixes were made to Blue, mostly.

Dusclord

Ganon killer
    Years
    Flex_S said:

I thought they were exactly the same except different Pokemon to catch. But then it has the same Pokemon that can be found in Pokemon Blue version (North America).

So it's exactly like Pokemon Bue.

Mew green sprite is sooo freaking >_o

Anyway I think only the pokémon graphics changed in japanese blue.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Japanese blue also new in-game trades and locations of Pokemon.
    And I think it's Pokemon exclusive list was different from green or reds.

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
    Years
    • CT
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    Green is essentially the beta test of the pokemon series. It's not like it was rushed off the production line, but it was made by gamefreak to see if there was even a market for games like pokemon. Also, I found it interesting that flying type was originally programmed into the game as Bird type; something that was left out except for MISSINGNO.

johnny_profitt

Support The Anarchive!
    Years
    Dont play my translation when its finished then. Remember that you dont support the proper translation of green. Thats your loss, and your stupidity.

Hater...

You can't go juding the hack at this stage anyway. It's like 2 percent complete. You'd think that someone who posts in a thead about pokemon green would be stoked for a proper translation of it. all that you noticed was the things that were not even edited yet. why couldnt you be half polite and comment on the finer aspects of the translation. I think it looks pretty close to the american versions of the game so far.

But to just go flat out and say it sucks?
    I'll bet anything you've worked on won't be half as reputable as this translation eventually will be.

HA!

Last edited:

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Green is essentially the beta test of the pokemon series. It's not like it was rushed off the production line, but it was made by gamefreak to see if there was even a market for games like pokemon. Also, I found it interesting that flying type was originally programmed into the game as Bird type; something that was left out except for MISSINGNO.
    If that's the case, then Red is a "beta test" as well. Remember, Red and Green came out at the same time.

dumbpikAchu

suckingCharmanderIntoMybu tt
    Years
    OHHHH. I've been waiting like ummmmmmmmmmmmmm 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 milleniums for a transalation of Green. :( I can't understand "Lok!Q'gkshikakfkkdolflqkijdidjfuidjhodih'lki!" I don't even know how they themselves could understand it.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    OHHHH. I've been waiting like ummmmmmmmmmmmmm 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 milleniums for a transalation of Green. :( I can't understand "Lok!Q'gkshikakfkkdolflqkijdidjfuidjhodih'lki!" I don't even know how they themselves could understand it.

Well why do you think the Unown use english letters?

PokeMaster3

Can't wait for HeartGold!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2010
    Wow, I remember always wondering how great that game was, because it was never released here.

Back