• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Pokemon GSC Real Time Theory

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
    I'm making this thread to post my theory on the Real time clock in GSC.

I've found that many people, including myself have had their battery in GSC die out on them.

I had my Red Version from 1998 and had played it alot!!! I beat the game and started over 100 times and no battery problem. However, about a year and a half after I got Gold, my battery died. thats Red for 4 years and Gold for 1 1/2.

I believe that since the battery had to keep up with the real time clock, It drained it. This might have been brought up before and everyone might know this, but I haven't seen this anywhere.

Years
    When you played your game, the battery should have recharged itself. Your game must have some bad capacitors. Some Ruby/Sapphire owners (Including me) have encountered this problem too.

Flamman

still n00b, working on it!
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2018
    in an emulator, if you play g/s/c, you get a message that the internal battery has run dry, and time related events will no longer occur. those3 are the exact words:P

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2006
    So... this means I should probably play Silver somewhat regularly to keep the battery alive?

Derrot

Arr...me be Derrot
    Years
    After reading this, I immediately went to get my Pokemon Gold cartridge out that I haven't played since I bought Crystal (Darn...that was a long, long time ago) When I turned it on it said the time wasn't set. I reset the time and my game info is still intact. So if I just play my game, will the battery still recharge?

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    Kyattsuai said:
    So... this means I should probably play Silver somewhat regularly to keep the battery alive?

i have the same question... but for RSE too?

RaveGamer

The Raving Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2006
    I'm guesssing nobody bothered with the berry system to porve this theory a long time ago?

52!

Silver Isle.. JOIN IT
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2006
    if you play your battery doesnt die.. the battery is used while the gameboy is off.. i believe it recharges as you use your game.. im not sure.. but if it doesnt.. playing preserves the internal battery longer

Arsenic Dimentia

*drools*
    Years
    It kinda makes sense that the game's internal clock would charge off of the GameBoy's batteries (rechargable ones or not). But if that's true, then I'm in trouble. I hardly ever play my Gold/Silver games anymore... though I sometimes play my Crystal version, so that one should be fine. I sure hope so... ^^''

Auron

Legendary Guardian
    Years
    in an emulator, if you play g/s/c, you get a message that the internal battery has run dry, and time related events will no longer occur. those3 are the exact words:P

Well...It didn't happen to me. The time used to run correctly.

I had that message in Sapphire Version, because the Emulator was an old version. With a newer version, I didn't have that problem.

Back