• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Gyms in your area

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • Spoiler:

A few days ago, I was surprised that my CP1576 Arcanine was able to hold down a gym nearby my house for at least three days, and I found out just now that it got kicked out by an Instinct member. I'm not too butthurt about that (unless if it was Valor then ooooooh man), but I'm honestly surprised about how long my Arcanine held down that gym.

How are the Pokemon Gyms in your area? Are they widespread, or are some of them close by? Do they get taken down often by each team? What was the longest time you held down a gym?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    The longest I held a gym for was a week, but that was in the cemetery and not many people knew the gym was there as you couldn't see it until you got to the edge of town, the other 4 gyms in town change hands very quickly at best I hold them for 12 hours if I'm lucky. We got one gym up to level 7 so held that for 2 days

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Population density is too high in my city, you might hold an arena over night if you power it up in the evening, but holding an arena for more than 21 hours is not realistic, no matter how strong the pokemon are.

Years
  • I haven't held a gym for much longer than a few hours. My 1428 Gyarados is currently breaking my record for longest held gym though. I've also got an 1187 Golduck holding one but the gym's in a way too busy a place to hold it for very long.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Where I work, you'd be lucky to hold a gym for more than 5 minutes even if 4-5 Pokémon in there are CP2000-3000. Chances are you won't be able to prestige it past level 4 or 5 before the gym gets overwhelmed and taken down.

Example:
    Pokemon Gyms in your area

Like this gym had me leading and a CP2000+ Vaporeon and CP2400 Snorlax under me. The gym went down in less than five minutes after I took the screenshot.

Where I live, there are four gyms within driving distance and I can generally hold them for a few hours at a time depending on when I put the Pokémon in and also if I took over the gym or prestiged it up to make room.

If it's prestiged, I can hold for longer because I generally have the highest level Pokémon in town so I always end up as the gym leader. But if it's a gym I took down myself, chances are it won't last too long because there aren't many defenders immediately available... of course unless I'm with friends/team members, then we might be able to quickly prestige the gym up to level 5+ at least.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    @VisualJae

This is normal for densely populated areas, everyone who cares about gyms does the same: Smash them down to take it over and add your pokemon, or push them up to add your own pokemon, do it quickly, and then use the shop to cash in, 500 stardust and 10 coins per gym held.

And then you stop caring for 21 hours, until the process repeats.

It got a bit easier after a lot of the cheaters with illegitimate high-CP pokemon got banned. But still, with thousands of people walking by and some of them having legitimate unhacked uncheated CP 2000+ pokemon, with some casually beating up the gym for fun and others dedicated to take it down, it never lasts long.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    if i see a gym my team is holding that i need to level up to put a pokemon in i usually leave it, it takes far more effort to level a gym up than for someone to come along and knock it down, maybe if i get more potions or they add in pokecentres it might be worth my while

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    Pokemon Gyms change so fast in my area, even though it's a rural area. I can only collect from one gym at a time :(

same with me but i hit them very late in the evening (about 11pm) so i can usually get 3-4 of the 5 gyms in my area

Years
  • There's a gym about a block from my place and it changes every few hours or quicker. I live adjacent to the very Pokestop- and Gym-packed downtown and so my little gym on the edge of that gets a lot of traffic from people going from the empty suburban areas on their way downtown. Nothing I've even put on a gym lasts for more than a few hours though, no matter how strong or how many Pokemon there are. There are too many people with Dragonites and they just bulldoze all the gyms they can find all the time it seems since I see some names over and over on the gyms. (I can see two other gyms on the edge of my range and they're the same, always changing, often the same people showing up.)

Years
  • Lots of gyms. But also lots of people. Gyms change over very quickly in the city (matter of minutes) except for the gyms in some of the more suburban areas. I live right in between. There's one gym near me that fewer people seem to know about and sometimes I'm able to hold it for a couple days, but that is rare in the large scheme of things.

Years
  • I've only ever assigned my Pokemon to a gym a few times and I'm surprised that my Golduck is still currently assigned to a gym at the end of my street almost 7 hours after I put it there. I had my Tentacruel assigned to the same gym earlier today and it was defeated barely an hour later.

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2016
    I am currently in one gym that I have been in for 10 days, and most of the other people in it have been there for at least a week longer. I had to train hard to get in, but it has been worth it. It's not in a high traffic area, but the turnover still used to be a lot higher. I attribute the change to school starting. I know in many places that hasn't happened yet, but I am in an area in which it starts early. There is another gym in the same area that I've been in for most of that time also. It was (briefly) taken over once during that time.

I'm not sure that there's been much change in the higher traffic areas.

This is worth keeping in mind if you are near gyms that not as many people visit.

Back