• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokemon: Habitats

DragonsCanBite

Ancient Member
Years
  • Pokemon: Habitats

Introduction:
    This has been a hack I've been working on recreationally for the past few months.

Story:
    It's been hundreds of years since the days of Hoenn and Johto. The worlds have been overpopulated and Pokemon nearly became extinct. However, in an effort to keep Pokemon from no longer existing, an organization called PokeMac teamed up with a group of scientists and Pokemon professors to form the Habitat Program. The point of this was to create space ships that could house people and Pokemon alike. Originally, this was supposed to be a work of harmony. However, hundreds of years from the first PokeMac Habitat ship, PokeMac had become a corrupt superpower that was sponsoring Fighting Rinks all over the existing ships. This created mass controversy over whether or not fighting should be allowed on ships, and thus the Antifighter Movement was born.

This is where you come in, as the player. You are a renowned Pokemon researcher that has just transferred to the U.S.S. Hoenn [a memorial to the original Hoenn] with your roommate Valorie. You will be caught up in the middle of the battle between the Fighters & PokeMac and the Antifighters, a group of hypocrites fighting PokeMac with their own Pokemon. Though, the question is not if you will fight, it's.. who will you fight for?

Features:
    - New storyline.
    - More diverse Pokemon habitats.
    - New environments.
    - New Gym Leaders.

Screenshots:
    Pokemon: Habitats

Bugs:
    - Some tile glitches and shadow errors.
    - Text scripts overlapping with other scripts. [ie parts of later character's speeches being inserted in earlier speeches.]
    - Random garbage showing up near the very corners of the map on occasion [only happens when crossing from one map to another, is fixed by walked away from the off-map area.]

Completion Status:

It's about halfway done at the moment, but right now I'm stuck at about where Mauville is in the original game, because my text-editor is malfunctioning. Some interiors of structures in the earlier maps as well as some 'Route' signs remain completely untouched as well.

Credits:

MUGS - For making the save-functional version of the Ruby ROM [not so much for sticking an unremovable intro on the front of it.]
    Mapping - Me.
    Scripting - Myself.
    Idea - And I. [Sorry, really wanted to make that pun.]

Download:

It's in the attachments below. FYI, the game & story continues until you reach 'Research 024', which is unfinished and has no text/script edits what-so-ever.

Also, please inform me of any problems patching the download to your ROM.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2012
    What a unique idea! The thought of pokemon battles on a spaceship are kind of strange though.

There are a few errors I've noticed. Other than the script ones that you've mentioned yourself, there are several errors with tile permissions. You're able to walk across the water in the area above the first little town you visit. Also, underleveled evolutions create a very unnecessary difficulty level. Mightyena at level 11, Arbok at level 18 and Machoke at level 18 are a few I've noticed so far. It is your hack and I can't tell you to change them obviously, but it does look poorly done.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Screeensss look complex ... ._.
    Story looks good

Will try alpha/beta thing xD

DragonsCanBite

Ancient Member
    Years
  • What a unique idea! The thought of pokemon battles on a spaceship are kind of strange though.

There are a few errors I've noticed. Other than the script ones that you've mentioned yourself, there are several errors with tile permissions. You're able to walk across the water in the area above the first little town you visit. Also, underleveled evolutions create a very unnecessary difficulty level. Mightyena at level 11, Arbok at level 18 and Machoke at level 18 are a few I've noticed so far. It is your hack and I can't tell you to change them obviously, but it does look poorly done.

Thank you for bringing the permission error to my attention. I had just added the water recently and didn't realize that you could walk right on it. As for the underleveled evolutions, you're right. I hadn't thought about how difficult that would actually be for some people until you just mentioned it.

EDIT: Though, I'm having trouble finding the underleveled evolutions you're talking about. Where were some of them located, if you don't mind?

Nintendork15 said:
    Screeensss look complex ... ._.
    Story looks good

Will try alpha/beta thing xD

Thanks for the compliment. Hope you like it, and feel free to point out any kind of issues you have with it.

Last edited:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    This seems like nothing more than a simple map and text edit. The maps are pretty poorly done and the game is too hard. I was smoked by a level 7 Swellow even though I was at level 10. I do love the concept though; If i weren't aware that I was obviously playign a Ruby hack this could be great.

DragonsCanBite

Ancient Member
    Years
  • This seems like nothing more than a simple map and text edit. The maps are pretty poorly done and the game is too hard. I was smoked by a level 7 Swellow even though I was at level 10. I do love the concept though; If i weren't aware that I was obviously playign a Ruby hack this could be great.

Well, you're right, this is pretty much a map and text edit with a story. :nervous:

And augh, those underleveled evolutions already look like the death of me. I didn't even realize that would turn out badly until now.

Though, it seems my entire mapping spectrum needs a good look-over, because I honestly didn't see them as poorly done. [then again, hard for a creator to see their work as poor, huh :P]

Thanks for the feedback, and yeah, thanks for complimenting the concept. I'll admit, I had the concept for a while I'm just not the best person at putting concepts into actual works :nervous:

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2012
    The one I'm really having trouble with is in habitat 006. The Habitat 6 HQ "leader" has a level 15 arbok and a level 15 machoke, and level 14 lunatone (very powerful for that early of an area). My level 20 charmeleon is obliterated because the trainer keeps using full restores and potions along with extremely overpowered pokemon.

However, I do really enjoy the concept, and I hope to see this hack prosper :D I'm very much supportive of this!

DragonsCanBite

Ancient Member
    Years
  • The one I'm really having trouble with is in habitat 006. The Habitat 6 HQ "leader" has a level 15 arbok and a level 18 machoke. My level 20 charmeleon is obliterated because the trainer keeps using full restores and potions along with extremely overpowered pokemon.

However, I do really enjoy the concept, and I hope to see this hack prosper :D I'm very much supportive of this!

Oh. I did make the Habitat 6 leader really tough on purpose, but after reading about higher-level Pokemon getting obliterated I'll tone it down to non-ridiculous levels. :P

Thanks! Glad to hear you like it. :D

And Quilava-Master, I found the Swellow you were talking about, in the PokeMac Society. Fixed it.

Also, the map collision error that was also mentioned up there has also been fixed. Turns out, the middle-of-the-water tile I used near the edge wasn't the proper tile to use.. and naturally the edge-of-the-water tile was the one I needed to use near the edge. D'oh.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2012
    fantastic idea for a hack, I just wish you would make it more you own by change the maps and what people say more, but great idea :D

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    Hey that's a cool hack. I have a question did the ROM you use have all the text? Because the ROM I have only has up until route 1.

Years
  • - Some tile glitches and shadow errors.
    Hm, that's not much of a bug, though, as it's up to YOU waht tiles you use. You should learn to insert tiles, or even just edit the existing ones via A-Map's block editor.

Now, this is intriguing, another Ruby hack that's breaking from the mould- we're getting quite a few of those lately. Your idea is rather nice and original, and that's the first step to a good hack, so good job. The screens look interesting- save for the tile errors- it's nice to see you're using the original graphics, as I find myself becoming more and more attached to RSE graphics (people normally just use FR, or DS style graphics).

Props for originality, that's what I say :)

Last edited:

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    The plot is certainly interesting, the screenshots looks pretty nice, Haven't seen a hack that uses original Ruby tiles for so long, and your mapping is creative. *downloads*

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    This looks so good! Very original storyline. Will this feature fakemon / 4th gen Pokemon?

Back