• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Hoenn League Challenge

Poke'mon Trainer X

Wandering Pokemon Trainer
Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 14, 2004
    Ok this is my first fic here so I hope that you will all give it a chance. I'm sure that you'll like reading it as much asI like typing it. Just give it a chance and you'll see. Well here it is...

Chapter 1
    The Beginning

It was a bright and sunny day in Little Root Town. A young boy yawned as he exited his house. He was wearing a black and red top and black pants with yellow at the base. He had on a black headband with the shape of a red poke? ball on it and he never went anywhere without it.

He covered his eyes to block out the blinding sun and walked about two steps before he ran into a familiar face.

?Hey Brendan, did you just wake up? Man you sure can sleep.? Said the girl.

She was wearing a red with a little of her black under suit showing, but only enough to keep most of her legs exposed. She had on a red bandana with the shape of a poke? ball outlined in white and you would never catch her without it on unless she was going swimming.

The two of them had a lot in common, but they also had a lot of differences.

?So what was it you wanted May? He asked, ?I was having a good dream.? He added the last part to make her feel a little guilty, but he should have known that wasn?t gonna work.

?So what were you dreaming about?? She asked without caring that she had woken him up. ?Oh let me guess.? She said putting her hand on her chin as if she were thinking, ?You were dreaming about your first Poke?mon right??

?Uh, yea.? He replied, ?I was choosing my first Poke?mon and I was ready to head out on a journey. But I was in my underwear.?

May begun to laugh. Brendan always had the funniest dreams and she just loved to hear them.

?I need you to come with me somewhere.? May said without wasting any time.

?Where?? Brendan asked with a confused look on his face.

May and Brandon alike were dreamers. They both dreamt about the world outside of their small town. They had been friends since they were three and neither of them had ever left Little Root Town. Brendan always dreamt of being a Pokemon trainer and entering the Pokemon league. He had all of the Pokemon video games known to man and then some. He would pretend that he had his own Pokemon and he had played it out in his mind so many times. He often even had dreams of Pokemon.

May, on the other hand, had always wanted to be a coordinator. She liked to think that she had a knack for mixing the inner beauty with the outer beauty of Pokemon, but she didn?t have one of her own. Her father had been distributing starter Pokemon to new trainers from all over, but she had yet to receive one. She grew up watching her father raise all of these different Pokemon and she would practice her grooming techniques on them, but all that was about to change.

?Well as you know yesterday was my birthday.? She said in a happy voice, ?I am now officially ten years old!?

?How could I forget?? Brendan asked, ?You spilled your birthday cake all over me. I was up until twelve o?clock trying to get frosting out of my ears.?

?I said I was sorry!? May exclaimed, ?Well anyway as I was saying, Since I am now ten my dad says I?m old enough to get my own Pokemon. And you can get one two.?

?But I?m twelve!? Brendan exclaimed, ?Tell me again why I couldn?t get my Pokemon at ten like everyone else??

?I?ve told you before.? May began, ? My dad only gives Pokemon to trainers that are leaving on a Pokemon journey, but my dad said that he would lone one to you so that you can start getting acquainted with Pokemon?s feelings so that when you do go on your journey it will be easier to bond with your Pokemon.?

?Oh,? Brendan said, ?That?s right. Oh well, I guess It would help, if we ever do get out of this small town. I wanna see the world, battle lots of trainers and compete in the Pokemon league.?

?Yea, Brendan I wanna do all of that stuff just as much as you do, but let?s focus on getting a Pokemon first.? May said with determination.

Brendan nodded his head then he and May ran off to Professor Birch?s lab.

They arrived at a giant, rectangular shaped lab at the edge of. Brendan opted to ring to doorbell, but May just pushed herself in front of him and opened the door, smiling widely at him. He rolled his eyes and walked in behind her.

The two of them entered the giant building filled with doors that lead to different rooms of study. May walked around as if she had been going there all of her life and that may be because she had, but Brendan, on the other hand, was lost completely. Professor Birch had done a lot of renovating since Brendan?s last visit so he relied on May to get them to the room that the professor resided in.

May lead them to the very back of the building where, as they entered the room, they saw her father, along with his assistant, sifting through some Pokemon data on their computer.

?Brendan, May you?re here!? He exclaimed with a big smile on his face as both he and his assistant turned away from the computer, ?I was beginning to think that you weren?t going to show up at all.?

May already knew what she wanted. She wanted Mudkip. She had been planning on it her entire life, but the problem was so did Brendan

?Are you kidding? We wouldn?t miss an opportunity to get our first Pokemon!? Brendan exclaimed with excitement in his voice, ?I already know what I want! I want Mudkip!?

?What!? May exclaimed in a loud voice, ?You can?t have Mudkip. I?m gonna get Mudkip!?

?No I am!? Brendan exclaimed back.
    ?No me!? May yelled trying to make her voice louder than his.

The two of them continued to argue for a good five minutes before professor Birch broke it up.

?Look I know that you both had your hearts set on Mudkip, but I gave it away just this morning.? Birch said, getting up from his chair and walking over to the shelf on the right wall of the room.

?You what?!? May exclaimed, ?Dad how could you? You know I wanted Mudkip!?

?I?m sorry May, but if there?s one thing that I?ve taught you is if you snooze you lose.? Birch said in a firm fatherly voice, ?Had the two of you been here on time you might have been able to get Mudkip, but because of your tardiness you have to settle for what?s left.?

?Oh, man!? Brendan exclaimed, ?I really wanted Mudkip too. Oh well, what?s left then??

?Here I?ll show you.? Birch said.

He grabbed a large bag off of the shelf and put it on his desk. He then opened the bag up and pulled out two poke? balls. He threw the poke? balls and out came a green Gecko-like Pokemon and, beside it, an orange and yellow Chick-like Pokemon.

?This is Treecko.? Birch said pointing to the gecko Pokemon. Then he pointed at the chick Pokemon, ?And this is Torchic.?

Brendan thought to himself as if the appearance of the Pokemon didn?t matter to him. He just wanted the one that was best at battling. May, of course, was moved by the cuteness of the Torchic and had already made her decision. She figured that Treecko wasn?t cute enough to win in contests and Brendan thought that Torchic was too cute to have any skills in battle.

?I?ll take Treecko.? Brendan said, confident of his decision.

?And I want Torchic.? May said also feeling good about her choice.

?Alright then you two consider Torchic and Treecko you temporary Pokemon so be sure not to get too attached. I?m going to need them back soon..? Birch said returning the Pokemon to their balls and handing them to Brendan and May.

?Hey, I though that I got to keep the Torchic!? May exclaimed.

?May you know that these Pokemon are reserved for trainers starting their Pokemon journeys.? Birch replied.

?But I was going to travel around and become a coordinator.? May said with sort of a whiny voice.

?Honey, you cannot travel by yourself alright. Your not ready for a journey like this, definitely not alone.? Birch said as he got on one knee to reach May?s level.

?Dad I?m ten now.? May said, ?Why can?t I go on a journey like all of the other kids??

?I know that you?re ten, but I just don?t think that you?re ready to face this world alone.? Birch said, trying to be suttle about the whole thing, ?Maybe if Brendan were to go with you I?d feel a little better, but you know his mother won?t let him go so neither can you.?

May began to cry a little. ?Thanks a lot Brendan!? She exclaimed. She ran out of the room and out of the lab, crying her eyes out. Brendan ran after her without hesitation. As May ran thorough the woods on the outskirts of Little Root Town, with her poke? ball at hand. Brendan tried desperately to find her, but having never been out of the village the truth is, they may never see her again.

To be continued?

So what did you think?

Years
  • Enter Oni. The Fanfiction mod.

I'll try to be sharper than Frostweaver's icy-cold review knife.

1) Spelling/Grammar. You spelled some parts wrong. I know you used MSWord but the word "gonna" was used by the author. NEVER LET THE AUTHOR USE SLANG. Unless it interacts with the audience

2) Diction. Not a lot of diction to fully thrill me into addiction.

3) Plot. Oh. I can summerize this chapter like this:
    "Hey Brendan!"
    "Hey May!"
    "Let's get our Pokemon!"
    "Sure!"
    *They go to the lab*
    "Yay! We got our Pokemon"
    Also, May liking cute Pokemon...it's a cliche. A big overused cliche.

4) Paragraphing. Not bad on this one though some sentences should be combined with the other paragraphs and when a new dialouge comes, you make a new paragraph.

5)Writing Style. Someone tells me that this will have anime-styled battling...

6)Others. Sixteen, eh? Too bad Lily raised the bar for good writers.

Meh...my review is dull. Not as good as Frostweaver's...

To the author: You have great potential to be a good writer though you still need to work on your plot. Be more descriptive and be creative with the plot at least. Add some decent twists and turns. Have a very colorful description and don't leave my vision of this world in black and white.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • It's a nice fic, but there's a certain lack of originality here...but of course, it all depends on the writer's technique.

Um...okay. Your details were rather bluntly stated, meaning what you wrote was merely short simple sentences. Try adding more emphasis on the parts where readers could've found it more interesting, descriptions in other words. Otherwise, the fic is a rather TOO simple story. Add some things of your own, such as the last part. That veered me off course, because it was surprising to see how the chapter ended.

The main thing that disturbed me was the bluntly stated sentences. x.X I really feel you should include more words to describe a certain place, which will certainly improve on your fic.

It's a good fic, and I like to see how the last part grows. ^_^

EDIT: oni; I'm flattered. >_>;

Poke'mon Trainer X

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 14, 2004
    Thanks for the advice guys and I understand how unoriginal it is at first, but the here is where the twists come in. Just read and you will see...

Chapter 2
    The Attack

?May!? Brendan called out as he walked through the damp forest, ?May where are you?? He stopped and sighed. ?Oh come on May where are you?? He asked under his breath. He sighed again and continued to walk along the path that seemed to stretch on forever. He walked about three steps when he heard the faint sound of crying in the distance. He followed the sound to large tree. He peered behind it to find May crying.

?May, thank god your ok.? Brendan said letting out a sigh of relief.

?Go away.? She said as she sat, gripping her poke? ball.

?Look May it?s not my fault that I can?t go on a journey.? Brendan said, ?Why are you acting like this??

?Just go away.? May said as she continued to cry.

?Ok look,? Brendan said as he sat down beside her, ?I?m sorry that you can?t follow your dream of becoming a coordinator, but how do you think I feel? You know I?ve wanted to be a trainer since I was a little boy. I think that?s why we became friends. We shared the common dream of getting out of here and seeing the world, but it looks like that won?t be happening until were twenty.?

Brendan laughed and May giggled along with him.

?So come on May, let?s just go back.? Brendan said, ?Besides, you know no matter what happens you?ve always got?me.? Brendan smiled.

He had a way with words that would always leave May speechless. And that smile was hypnotizing. She could sit and watch him smile for hours. No matter what happened she knew that Brendan could just smile and she would feel like everything was going to be alright.

?Ok, let?s go.? She said with a smile as she whipped her eyes.

?Let?s give our Pokemon some fresh air.? Brendan suggested.

?Alright.? May agreed, ?Torchic come on out!?

She threw her poke? ball and Brendan threw his too. Out of the red and white colored balls came their Pokemon Treecko and Torchic.

?Treecko!? ?Torchic!? They exclaimed with great enthusiasm.

?Hi Torchic I?m May.? She said bending on one knee and rubbing the Pokemon?s head.

?Torchic, Tor!? It exclaimed as May continued to rub its head.

?Hey we?re getting along already.? May said looking to Brendan.

?He Treecko, My name is Brendan.? He said bending down to Treecko?s level, ?I?m your temporary trainer.? He put his hand out, but the Treecko just turned away.

?Oh come on Treecko, don?t be like that.? Brendan said reaching out and accidentally grabbing its tail.

The Treecko got extremely angry. It spun around and gave Brendan a powerful pound attack to the side of the head. He fell over and held his head in pain.

?I feel sorry for the trainer that get?s this Poke?mon.? He said, ?Then again it would be great in battle.?

Mean while May continued to bet her beloved Torchic. As she bonded with it she began to grow more and more attached to it.

?Oh it?s so cute.? She said in a baby voice, ?I wish I could keep it for longer than a week.?

?How about I keep it forever?? Asked a strangely deep voice.

A chain tied like a lasso came down around Torchic and a man in a red suit reeled in his lucky catch.

The man had on a red suit with a weird black symbol on it. His shirt had a cape attacked to the back and he had on a hat with black horns sticking out of it.

?Hmm a Torchic, hu?? The man asked now holding the Pokemon, ?This will be a nice addition to the boss?s collection. Or maybe I?ll just keep this one for myself.?

Torchic wiggled around in his arms, shooting embers off in all the wrong directions.

?Who are you?? May asked, ?Whatever it doesn?t matter give me Torchic back!?

?He?s a member of Team Magma.? Brendan said as he walked up beside May.

?Who?s Team Magma?? May asked with a puzzled look on her face.

?They are a notorious group know for harassing Pokemon trainers and stealing their Pokemon.? Brendan began, ?They bring terror and destruction where ever they go. There part of the reason I can?t go on a Pokemon journey. They have a rival team, Team Aqua and they are in a constant power struggle.?

?How do you know all of this stuff?? May asked looking at him.

?I watch the news a lot and read the Pokemon times.? Brendan replied, ?Call me a nerd.? He chuckled.

?Those Aqua geeks have nothing on us. We?ll mop the floor with their pathetic water Pokemon.? The Magma member said.

?How about a battle with me first?? Brendan asked.

?Me, battle a little runt like you?? The member asked in a sarcastic voice, ?You?ve got to be kidding.?

?The way I see it is the only reason you wouldn?t is because you?re too afraid.? Brendan said with a shrug of his shoulders, ?You?re not afraid of me are you??

?I ain?t afraid of no kid!? The Magma member exclaimed.

?Then what do you say to a one on one match?? Brendan asked, ?Winner gets the Torchic.?

?Alright kid I?m game, but don?t say I didn?t warn you.? The magma member said with a smirk.

?I should be the one warning you.? Brendan said with a smirk of his own.

?Brendan what are you doing?? May asked in a low voice, ?If what you said is true then this guy specializes in fire-type Pokemon!?

?Yea so?? Brendan asked.

?So?all you have is that Treecko.? She said, ?I?m not the expert on Pokemon battling, but I?m pretty sure that grass-types are weak against fire-types. Treecko is going to get annihilated!?

?Don?t worry I won?t lose.? Brendan said maintaining his cocky smirk.

?Look I appreciate you doing this for me, but you are way too determined for your own good.? May said folding her arms.

?Look I?m not actually planning on winning.? Brendan said, ?I?m just going to stall him. He can?t hold Torchic and concentrate on the battle at the same time so after he puts it down he?ll be busy with the battle so you can sneak over there and take Torchic back. Then we make a run for it.?

?That is the dumbest plan I?ve ever heard.? She said.

?Just trust me ok.? He said smiling at her.

?Fine we?ll do it.? She said unable to disagree with him.

?Hey if you two love birds are done talking over there can we get this show on the road?? The magma member asked.

?Alright let?s go Treecko!? He exclaimed.

Treecko knew what was at stake and despite any problems he had with Brendan he stepped forward to face the challenge hoping that his temporary trainer knew what he was doing.

?So, you?re using a Treecko hu. Yet another rare Pokemon?? The Magma member asked, ?This is going to be like taking candy from a baby, but since your so confident how about this. If you lose I get that Treecko too. So what do you say??

?I accept.? Brendan said without hesitation.

May was surprised and still a little confused by Brendan?s motives, but she had learned to trust him over the years.

?He, he, good.? The Magma member said as an evil smile shot across his face, ?Then lets get started, poke? ball go!?

He threw a poke? ball out onto the ground and out came a black dog-like Pokemon.

It howled loudly in an attempt to intimidate Treecko, but Treecko did not waver.

?Oh, tough Treecko ya got there.? The Magma member said sarcastically, ?Not afraid of the big bad wolf? Well we?re gonna have to make it afraid wont we? Houndour Ember!?

Houndour opened its mouth and out shot a blazing stream of fire aimed directly at Treecko.

?Treecko dodge it!? Seth commanded.

?Treecko!? It yelled as it leaped to the left avoiding the attack.

?Use another Ember Houndour!? The Magma member yelled.

The Pokemon howled as it shot another stream of fire in their direction, but this time it wasn?t aimed at Treecko. The attack was headed toward Brendan. He realized it at the last second and jumped out of the way, but was unable to escape a minor burn on his arm.

?Ouch!? He exclaimed holding his arm, ?Hey that?s not fair! You?re not supposed to attack a trainer in a Pokemon battle!?

?Who said anything about playing fair kid?? The Magma member asked. ?You?re playing with the big boys now! Houndour use another Ember attack!?

The little Pokemon shot yet another stream of fire aimed at Brendan. Just before it hit Treecko jumped in the way and took a direct hit.

?TREEEEECKOOOOOO!? It yelled as it fell to the ground charred and bruised.

?Treecko!? Brendan exclaimed running up to the injured Pokemon and returning it to its pokeball.

?It looks like the games over.? The Magma member said, and now I?ll be taking my prize.?

He turned to see that the Torchic was gone. He looked up and saw May trying to sneak off.

?Just where do you think you?re going?? He asked stopping May in her tracks.

She turned to see him and his Houndour racing her.

?Who me?? She asked, ?I was just going to?? She dropped the sentence and began to run.

?Houndour show her what happens when you mess with Team Magma.? He commanded. The Pokemon nodded.

?Hey!? Brendan yelled gaining the members attention, ?May keep running now!?

?Oh no you don?t!? The Magma member yelled turning back to her, ?Houndour Ember now!?

The Houndour shot another ember attack, but it was now aimed at May. She tried desperately to run, but she tripped, dropping Torchic. The stream of fire was coming straight at her, but just then Torchic jumped in front of her and used an ember attack of its own. The two fire attacks collided causing a small explosion. The blast kicked up enough dirt to let Brendan and May escape.

?Come on let?s get out of here while we still can!? Brendan yelled as he grabbed May and dragged her away with Torchic at hand.

When the dust cleared all that was stood there was the Magma member and his Houndour.

?Those kids will regret messing with Team Magma.? He said to himself, ?I swear it.?

Brendan and May made it back to town after a short run. It was mid afternoon and the first thing they did was tell professor Burch what happened, and then he healed Treecko.

?That?s quite a day you two had.? Professor Birch said.

?Yea you should have seen Brendan. He battled like a real pro.? May said sarcastically.

?Shut up!? He exclaimed, ?I think I did pretty well for my first Pokemon battle.?

?Yes you did Brendan.? Birch agreed, ?You held yourself very well and you knew when your Pokemon had enough. That shows signs of a great trainer.?

?He, he thanks.? Brendan said, blushing a little, ?Well I guess it?s about time for me to get home. My mom is probably worried sick about me. See ya May.?

?Bye Brendan.? May said, ?Oh and don?t forget to?? May was cut off by a loud rumbling.

?What was that?? She asked.

?Let?s go see.? Brendan said grabbing Treecko?s poke? ball

The three of them ran outside where the people of Little Root Town were all standing outside of their burning houses.

?Wha?what happened here?? May asked one of the female villagers.

?It was Team Magma. They came and burned down all of our houses except one.? She responded. ?It was his.? She pointed to Brendan.

?There was this note on the door.? Said another female villager, handing him a letter. He took it and began to read it out loud.

?Boy, you and your little girlfriend think you?re real smart hu?? He began, ?Well, look who?s got the last laugh now. I want you to feel the pain of the lives that you wrecked. You could have given up the Pokemon and everyone would have been spared. Now you have the weight of the lives of the countless people who died in those fires today. I spared your house just to send you a message. No matter what you do boy Team Magma will always come for you, always.? There was a burn at the bottom of the paper.

Brendan was left speechless and May was also at a loss of words. They could see the looks that the villagers were giving them. He could feel their pain and their hatred. Without any further word he began to walk away.

?Where are you going?? May asked as she caught up to him.

?I have to leave.? He responded, ?He said that Team Magma would always come after me which means that they will keep coming here. I?m already responsible for the deaths of doesn?t of people. I?m not going to be responsible anymore.?

?I?m going with you.? May said. Brendan opened his mouth to speak, but May cut him off. ?I?m just as responsible as you are. It was my fault we were even out there in the first place. So I?m going with you and that?s final, but I have just one question? Where are we gonna go??

?Well I was thinking that now would be a good time to go on that Pokemon journey we always dreamed of going on.? Brendan replied.

?But what about our parents?? May asked.

?We?re just going to have to leave. They would never let us go.? He replied

?Yea you?re right.? May agreed.

Brendan snuck back into his room a couple of minutes later. Luckily his mother had left the village for the attack. He packed a couple extra cloths, a sleeping bag and the other essentials. May already had a bag ready for the journey she had expected to go on earlier. The two of them meet up about an hour later and began to head out of town, but they ran into Prof. Birch while trying to sneak past his lab.

?I know what you kids are doing.? He said in his deep, fatherly voice.

Brendan and May were speechless.

?Well you?re gonna need these.? Birch said mellowing his voice out.

He handed Brendan a Badge case and a Pokedex and he gave May a Ribbon case and a small bag of poke? blocks.

?You?re not going to stop us?? Brendan asked.

?Why would I do that?? Birch asked, ?I realized that I was being too hard on you May. You?re growing up and I just didn?t want to accept that. I didn?t want to let you go, but I?ve learned that every bird must leave the nest someday. I guess today is yours. Oh and Brendan?I?ll handle your mother. I know that the two of you are capable of great things and you need to get out doing them. So go and don?t come back until you?ve beaten the Pokemon League and won the Grand Pokemon Contest.?

?Thanks dad.? May said standing on her tip toes to give him a kiss.

?Thank you Professor Birch.? Brendan said as he walked past.

Birch stood outside his lab with his assistant to see the two kids off. As Brendan and May waved goodbye, not only to Prof. Burch, but to the place that they grew up in, they knew that nothing but adventure lie just over the horizon.

To be continued?

Please tell me what you thought of that chapter please.

Poke'mon Trainer X

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 14, 2004
    Well I still appreciate the friendly advice and I took most of it into account when I typed this chapter. Here it is, Chapter 3. Hope you like it...

Chapter 3
    The Lone Trainer

It was a beautiful day out; the sun was shining through the scattered trees and onto May?s head. Her light brown hair was being contained by a red and white bandana. May and Brendan looked around in amazement by what they saw. There were Pokemon everywhere, in the trees, in the bushes, on the ground, and even under it.

?Wow!? May exclaimed at a short of words.

?Look at all of these Pokemon.? Brendan said with, ?Oh, I am definitely going to catch one!?

Brendan ran off of the path and into some bushes. May lingered for a second and then followed. The two of the peered out of the bushes and looked around for any, easy to catch, Pokemon. Brendan looked to the right and saw a small brown Pokemon with zigzagging fur, rubbing it?s back against a tree.

?Whoa look at that thing!? Brendan exclaimed, ?What is it??

?Why don?t you look it up in the Pokedex my dad gave you?? May suggested, ?Or did you forget that you had it??

?Oh yea I guess I did kind of forgot about that.? Brendan said pulling it out of his front pocket.

He pushed the button in the middle of the poke? ball insignia that rested at the base of the Pokedex and it opened. A picture of the Pokemon appeared on the screen and a female voice came out of the machine.

?Zigzagoon, the Tiny Raccoon Pokemon. The hair on Zigzagoon?s back is very bristly. It rubs its hard back hair against trees as a way of marking its territory.?

?Cool!? Brendan exclaimed, ?I?m definitely gonna catch this one.?

He hopped out of the bushes with a confident smirk on his face. He grabbed a poke? ball from the fore strap on his bag. He had the type of bag that only had one strap slinging across your chest. He carried five empty poke? balls on the strap with Treecko?s at the very top. He grabbed the second one and pressed the button in the middle, enhancing its size.

?You?re mine!? He yelled as he threw the poke? ball at the Zigzagoon.

As the poke? ball flew closer and closer to the small brown Pokemon something snapped and Brendan remembered something.

?Oops! I was supposed to weaken it first.? He said under his breath, but it was too late, the Zigzagoon headbutted the ball right back at Brendan. He stumbled to catch it and planted his feet on the ground. He put the poke? ball back on the strap and grabbed the one at the very top, where Treecko resided.

?It looks like you aren?t going to make this easy for me.? Brendan said to the Pokemon, ?So I?m not going to make it easy for you.?

?Go Treecko!? He exclaimed throwing the ball.

It landed in front of the Pokemon and out of the opened ball came a flash of light. When the light dissipated Treecko stood tall with a calm look on its face.

?Treecko let?s get em?!? Brendan yelled, ?Use a Pound Attack!?

Treecko ran at the wild Zigzagoon and spun around dealing a hard blow to the side of its head. It seemed as if the Pokemon didn?t even try to avoid the attack. It stood there for a second then it began to wobble around on its hind legs and fell to the ground.

?Uh?I think we over did it Treecko.? Brendan said.

?Over did it?! Brendan you killed the poor thing!? May exclaimed.

?No I didn?t it probably just feinted.? Brendan reassured her, ?I?m just gonna catch it.?

He reached to grab an empty poke? ball, but then he heard a beeping noise coming from his Pokedex. ?What the?? He said pulling it out of his pocket again. He opened it and once again the female voice emitted from the machine.

?It is also very common for Zigzagoon to play dead to fool their foes.? Said the voice.

?Play dead!? Brendan exclaimed. He quickly looked up to see that the Zigzagoon had gone, ?You couldn?t tell me this earlier?!?

Brendan ran around the area looking for the crafty Pokemon. May and Treecko stood behind looking awkwardly upon him as he frantically searched for the lost Pokemon.

?Don?t just stand there!? He exclaimed, ?Help me look Treecko!?

Treecko sighed and began to look through the bushes along with Brendan. Brendan had begun to give up hope when he heard rustling in a nearby bush.

?Ha found you.? He said as he began to approach the bush.

He dived into the bush and grabbed it. He began to wrestle it to the ground. Treecko and May stood just outside of the bush awaiting Brendan?s catch, but just then a stream of fire shot out of the bush, nearly burning them to a crisp. Brendan fell out of the bush and the Pokemon walked out. It was a red-orange colored Pokemon. It looked like a lizard, but it walked on two legs and it had an intense flame burning at the tip of its tail.

?Ok, I?m going to go out on a limb here and say that isn?t a Zigzagoon.? May said.

Brendan pulled out his Pokedex and looked it up.

?Charmander the lizard Pokemon. This Pokemon has a flame burning at the end of its tail. The flame grows more and more intense when the Pokemon is enraged. It is said that if the flame goes out the Pokemon will die.?

?Whoa!? Brendan exclaimed, ?This is way better than the other one. I?m going to catch this one instead.?

?Now hold on just a minute!? May yelled, ?What makes you think I don?t want it??

?It doesn?t matter because I?m going to catch it!? He yelled back.

?Oh no you?re not I?m catching it!? May yelled trying to raise her voice so that it was louder than Brendan?s.

?Me!? He yelled getting even louder.

The two of them argued back and forth about the Pokemon about who would get to capture the Pokemon. Treecko sighed again and put its hand on its head. Brendan and May stared each other down for a good five minutes until a boy, about Brendan?s age, walked out of the bushes.

?There you are Charmander.? He said, ?I?ve been looking all over for you.?

Brendan and May stopped and looked as the Charmander ran and jumped on the boy.

?Is this?your Charmander?? May asked as she walked over to him.

?Yes it is. My name?s Alex.? He said with a smile, ?Thanks so much for finding my Charmander. I don?t know what I would have done without it.?

Brendan and May?s faces turned bright red in embarrassment. Treecko fell on its back with laughter.

?Oh shut up.? Brendan said holding his Poke? ball out behind him. A bright red beam of light shot out and engulfed Treecko, returning it to its poke? ball. He attempted to put it back on his strap, but the ball opened itself and Treecko shot out. It stood behind Brendan with a look of anger on its face. It jumped into the air and proceeded to attack Brendan.

?Why you little?? Brendan exclaimed as he threw it onto the ground. Brendan and Treecko proceeded to fight and May proceeded to introduce herself.

?Hi, I?m May and this is my friend Brendan.? He said.

?Nice to meet you.? Alex replied. He peered over Brendan?s shoulder and looked to Treecko and Brendan as they fought. ?Are they always like this?? He asked.

?No, just occasionally Brendan ticks Treecko off or vise-versa.? May responded as she turned to look at them. Brendan was lying on his back and Treecko was continuously slapping him in the face with its tail. Brendan finally grabbed its tail and slammed Treecko on the ground beside him.

?I?ve never seen anyone beat up their own Pokemon.? Alex said.

?This is how they train, but then again Brendan is a strange one.? May said with her usual sarcasm.

Brendan ran all the way over to them and got right in May?s face.

?I heard that!? He exclaimed. Treecko didn?t even give him time to breathe before it attacked again.

?Man your Treecko is strong.? Alex said, ?Hey I know, how about a Pokemon battle??

?Sure, why not?? Brendan asked as he continued to fight Treecko.

?Uh, you?re you might want to stop fighting first.? May said.

?Oh?right.? Brendan said as he got up off of Treecko.

?Um?is your Treecko gonna be ok to battle?? Alex asked.

?Of course?? Brendan exclaimed, ?You don?t need any rest do you Treecko??

?Treecko!? It exclaimed as it tried to flex its muscles.

?Well if you say so.? Alex said. The two trainers stood at opposite sides of the field. Treecko stood on Brendan?s side and Charmander on Alex?s.

?Go!? Alex yelled beginning the match.

?Treecko go, use Pound attack!? Brendan commanded

?Charmander dodge and use Metal Claw!? Alex yelled.

Charmander jumped out of the way just in time to avoid the attack and came down, slashing Treecko across the stomach with its Metal Claw attack. Treecko backed away and held its chest.

?His Charmander knows Metal Claw.? Brendan said to himself. He looked up to see that Charmander was coming in for another Metal Claw.

?Treecko look out!? Brendan yelled. Treecko jumped into the air, dodging the attack. ?Now come down with a Pound Attack!? Treecko spun into a pound, but Charmander jumped back, avoiding the attack. Treecko?s tail left a big dint in the dirt where it hit and kicked up a little dust. Treecko jumped back and awaited Brendan?s next move.

?Come on Brendan think.? He said to himself. ?What other moves does Treecko know?? He stopped to think, but it was only a few seconds until he heard Alex tell Charmander to go in for another Metal Claw.

?Oh yea!? He exclaimed, ?Treecko use Leer Attack!? He yelled. Treecko?s eyes widened and turned a dark red. Charmander couldn?t help but gaze into them and became dazed, stopping in its tracks.

?Good now Treecko use Pound attack!? Brendan commanded.

Treecko spun around and smashed its tail into Charmander, knocking it across the open area. It seemed to do more damage than usual and that was a good thing on Brendan?s part.

?Come on Charmander get up.? Alex said.

Charmander struggled to its feet. ?Great Charmander, now let?s show him what were made of!? Alex exclaimed, ?Use Ember attack!?

Charmander?s flame began to grow fierce as it opened its mouth. As it prepared to use its Ember attack Treecko stood ready, but nothing more than a puff of smoke came from Charmander?s mouth..

?Oh no, not again!? Alex exclaimed.

?Quick Treecko now?s our chance! Use a Quick Attack!? Brendan commanded.

Treecko got down on all four legs and began to run with lightning speed toward the now vulnerable Charmander. Treecko rammed the Charmander knocking it back. Then it ran behind it and rammed it again. The Charmander flew onto the ground. It struggled hard to stand and faced Treecko. Its legs were about to give in, but it insisted on continuing the fight. Treecko was also getting very tired, having fought both Brendan and Charmander, but it wasn?t giving up either.

?Charmander return.? Alex said as he held its poke? ball out. A red beam shot at Charmander and engulfed it and it was returned to its poke? ball. ?Sometimes you?ve gotta know when you?ve had enough.? Alex said humbly.

?Good job Treecko.? Brendan said as he returned it to its poke, ball, ?What happened with you?re Charmander out there?? Brendan asked, ?Why couldn?t it use its Ember attack?

?Well I just got it a few days ago, but no matter what I try I can?t get it to use Ember.? Alex responded.

?Well that Metal Claw attack was definitely doing the trick.? Brendan said, ?Besides it probably just needs to rest at the Poke?mon Center.?

?Yea, I think there?s a Pokemon Center in Ol Dale Town.? Alex said, ?It?s only about a days walk from here.?

?We?re headed that way too? aren?t we?? May asked.

?Yep,? Brendan replied, ?Why don?t you come with us Alex??

?Alright.? Alex agreed with a smile, ?Let?s go, on to OlDale!?

The three of them walked off together, headed towards OlDale Town where nothing, but opportunity lies?or so they think.

To be continued?

Comments?

Back