• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Interaction/Walking Pokemon

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    We all know that Pokemon X and Y introduced the feature 'Pokemon-Amie' where we were able to interact one-one with our Pokemon how ever we desired. I'm concerned that Omega.R/Alpha.S wont present anything to replicate this wonderful feature. I certainly hope so, but if not, as much as it will shatter me inside, at least it gives me closure. I only begun playing Pokemon since Platinum, so I have no idea if the original ruby/sapphire had something of the such. {Doubt it though}

Another question is:
    Walking Pokemon? will they be introduced into the remakes?
    While I absolutely doubt this, does anyone also know of this? It would be much appreciated if I could get an answer for this.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind if walking with Pokemon never returned... Unlike seemingly everyone else, I just never liked it :P Probably because it didn't really have a real purpose :P

Years
  • I really liked the feature of having your pokemon follow you, much more than I liked Amie. Plus, it would be even better with 3d models and overworld.

Sirfetch’d

I prefer Amie to having Pokemon walk with me myself, but both are cool features in their own ways. I really doubt though walking with Pokemon would return. At least not for these games and as cute as it would be to have my Castform following me, I kinda hope it doesn't make a return if I am being honest.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I really liked the feature of having your pokemon follow you, much more than I liked Amie. Plus, it would be even better with 3d models and overworld.
    Ironically it's likely that the leap to 3D is part of the reason they don't have Pokemon following you. Animating 8 frames of sprite work (Especially when most of the sprites can just be flipped for the side view) is a lot less work than making another model and texture for every single Pokemon as well as a walk cycle.

I'm really hoping they don't do another style change next gen like they've done for every other game. Because the unfortunate thing about it is that it holds back expansion since they're having to reinvent the wheel so many times.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    The graphics for walking Pokemon are cheesy. If you were to do it, I'd definitely want it to be like Yellow. Pikachu following was great. He was a good Pokemon for it. After that, the Sprite sizes stayed generally the same and a Caterpie following you looked not much different than a large Pokemon following you.

After seeing the clips of a dressed up Pikachu, I definitely think that there is a lot of potential in interactions.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • The graphics for walking Pokemon are cheesy. If you were to do it, I'd definitely want it to be like Yellow. Pikachu following was great. He was a good Pokemon for it. After that, the Sprite sizes stayed generally the same and a Caterpie following you looked not much different than a large Pokemon following you.

After seeing the clips of a dressed up Pikachu, I definitely think that there is a lot of potential in interactions.

I don't really see how they could have done it otherwise, because I think that some Pokemon are just so large that if they did them to scale it would get in the way of viewing the overworld. It was just easier to say they're all going to be the same size than to say "some of them are real-life sized, some of them aren't."

I don't really know how well it would look in these graphics, so I think I'm just fine with Amie :]

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I don't really see how they could have done it otherwise, because I think that some Pokemon are just so large that if they did them to scale it would get in the way of viewing the overworld. It was just easier to say they're all going to be the same size than to say "some of them are real-life sized, some of them aren't."

I don't really know how well it would look in these graphics, so I think I'm just fine with Amie :]
    They included bigger sprites for the bigger Pokemon that would return to the Pokeball in spaces to narrow for them to go through. Of course they still had to stylize them. If Wailord had been done to scale you wouldn't be able to see half the screen!

I think even if they revived the 'Follow Me' feature in 3D they'd still have to stylize the Pokemon for the overworld. In part because huge Pokemon wouldn't be feasible but also because of the poly-count. It's not like the trainers' overworld isn't stylized as well.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • I can't comment much on Amie since I've yet to try it, though it definitely does look like a fun feature, and I think it'd be a shame for it not to return considering how many people love it.

As for the Pokemon following you in the overworld, I'd love to see it return if they can make it work without being ridiculous. I can definitely see it being a bit tougher now that the movement grid is no longer limited to moving in 4 directions. But yeah, if it does return, it could be cool if they incorporated some kind of Amie quick-access with the Pokemon following you, or generally just expanded a bit on the interaction with the Pokemon. Also, it shouldn't be limited to the Pokemon that's in the top of your party. The Pokemon you want to follow you, shouldn't necessarily be the one you want out in battle first.

But yeah, I'm all for the return of both features, so looking forward to how it turns out :D

oshimas

소중한 이 내 맘 모두 나 그대에게
    Years
  • i'm not familiar with the overworld sprites since i didn't play hg/ss (But familiar with it from yellow cause pikachu is pretty awesome) olli brings up a good point of it being difficult cause movements aren't limited to 4 directions anymore. but then after looking on some vids of hg/ss it looked a bit weird to me D: idk. as much as i'd love to see my darling little lilligant follow me around, but i'm just not sure of it. D:

but yay for pokemon amie returning. i loved the minigames in that. <3

Years
  • This doesn't look like something they'll just bring back. I'd imagine it being the thing that would take WAY too much time to add, between making over world sprites for every Pokémon and then even thinking of stuff for them to say. Not to mention we've seen the trailer that doesn't show it. Considering that we have Pokémon-Amie I don't find it necessary.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • If it does return, then it could be hidden from our eyes for now, maybe they have a feature where you can choose any Pokemon from your party not just the one in the first slot and have it walk with you when you open that little window where you can select it's stats, HM Move and such.
    But, I highly doubt it returning.

Years
  • As much as I enjoyed the walking Pokemon in HG/SS, I doubt it will ever return. But I don't mind Pokemon Amie as that was my fave new feature of X/Y so it was good to see that get carried over to OR/AS.

Years
  • It would be quite cool if ORAS were the games in which your Pokémon following you became an option.

In the latest trailer, I'm pretty sure you can see Pokémon roaming around in the overworld - note the Corsola in the background as the Player is Diving. I'm pretty sure I saw something like Beautifly in the trees in an earlier trailer. Admittedly, though, both of these examples seem to be just to set the scene, and not something the Player would be able to interact with.

And even at that, it's fairly likely they'd announce something like the Pokémon following the Player as a returning feature. Considering the games are as close as they are (two months is pretty close), I sadly doubt we'll have the option.

Back