• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon is a kid's game!

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Does anyone ever tell you that you shouldn't be a Pokemon fan because it's a "kid's game"? If yes, how do you respond to that?

Years
    To be honest nobody has ever said too much to me on this subject, apart from maybe my parents once making a sweeping comment such as "aren't you a little old to be playing those sort of games."

My reply to any kind of comment regarding being too old to be a Pokemon fan is that there's no written rule anywhere to say you have to stop liking something or playing a game just because you reach a certain age. If you enjoy something it's a personal preference and everyone is different.
    I'd say that its a good thing people of a range of ages are Pokemon fans, it shows diversity and that Pokemon has a wide appeal which offers something to everyone.

Years
    Respond by saying you're happy to extend your childhood dreams. Or something like that. It's easier to get people off your back with that than explaining that you've grown up with it, or you love the style, or you just love the games, anime, manga, etc. for what they are.

I usually just laugh at people, then turn and playfully say a random fact to my friends to reinforce the fact that I indeed play a kid's game.

Years
    I respond with "It's about subjugating wild animals that shoot fire, confining them into a cramped space and only let them out for dogfighting."

The game's concept is not for kids. :P

Years
    I'd probably say "You're never too old for Pokemon" especially cos given I'm in my 20s, expect me to often get looked at weirdly.

Pokemon is my first real love and I'll never leave it anytime soon.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    It's those damn bureaucrats. They think that everything released for kids will stay "For Kids".

I personally would say to them to buzz off, and not attempt any further conversations with them. Say either none of your business, or say something like: "Suppose in the two hells, you couldn't find any freedom to pass your time, don't you think something childish will affect you hugely? Try going to hell first, then you'll find out."

Personally I like, pick a fight instantly, because those dudes don't know how to take in a joke. Or understand that they've been stood up on. I can only pray for them.

Years
    No one's actually gone out of there way to say that Pokemon is a kid's game to me (I even got a compliment on the Squirtle shirt I was wearing today), but if they did, I wouldn't really take it to heart. Everyone's got different tastes in entertainment and games, and if it's not effecting you in any way because I'm playing it, why should you care?

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2020
    You know, I was reading the thread about the average age in this site and it seems that a lot of people in their early twenties are here.

I respond with "It's about subjugating wild animals that shoot fire, confining them into a cramped space and only let them out for dogfighting."

:D Also this.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
    Pokemon is not really made as a kid's game, their only it's target audience. Pokemon contains a lot of complexities programmed in the game including encounter rates, harder teams, complex strategies that are hard to keep track of if your younger.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    Honestly, no. My father teases me about it, but not because he thinks I'm too old for Pokemon.

If someone were to make remarks like that, I wouldn't really care. As previously stated, the idea of the game isn't really something that should be aimed toward children.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
    my mother in law says I shouldn't play it because I have a child, yeah I told " You play Kirby and that's a children's game". that shut her up

If anyone else told me that I would look at plays they play then throw it back in their face.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    It is.

Doesn't mean you can't play it though. Though if you're one of those extreme fans that only thinks and talks about Pokemon then there's a problem.

No one ever tells me I'm too old for Pokemon though. Probably because I don't play them anymore. I don't get how you people can never get bored of it all things considered, it's something.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    The games' mechanics are very complex & perplexing, with which older people will have a much easier time understanding. Because of that, older players may have a better time with Pokémon than some kids.

Pokémon may be a kid's game on paper, but once people delve deeper into how it works, it becomes anything but...

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    The games' mechanics are very complex & perplexing, with which older people will have a much easier time understanding. Because of that, older players may have a better time with Pokémon than some kids.
    Subjective. Learning the metagame (which is easy to understand and far from complex for an older person, really. Don't get people who say otherwise.) completely ruined my enjoyment of Pokemon because not only did it make things far too easy but I have to worry about stuff like natures and EVs. That's not fun. I also quit playing the meta game because a simplified, broken turn-based game is boring. I personally find Pokemon's combat system as one of the weakest aspects of the series.

I had way more fun with Pokemon as a kid, than an adult. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, either.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
    Had a real life experience like this:
    I don't remember what I said, but it happened once. It was profane and probably would be considered flamebaiting to GTA and CoD fans, but I've never been a fan of those games, and never will.

Years
    It is.

Doesn't mean you can't play it though. Though if you're one of those extreme fans that only thinks and talks about Pokemon then there's a problem.

No one ever tells me I'm too old for Pokemon though. Probably because I don't play them anymore. I don't get how you people can never get bored of it all things considered, it's something.

Pokemon Pokemon Pokemon Pikachu Pokemon Gotta catch 'em all. :P

But the games do get boring, there's not a doubt in my mind about that. I still haven't beat BW o BW2 because of it(or Gen III and IV) and last year took me a year to beat Yellow in a Nuzlocke challenge. I guess it's because the games themselves are now predictable in their execution.

tnfsf11

Most of the people in school who see me playing Pokemon do say "it's a kids' game" or "you're such a kid", but since they are just retarded mobs who never played a Pokemon game before I reply saying "You got a problem with that?" and just continue playing... after a while though they just stopped.
    Funny how they're mocking my game when all they play at school is iPhone games, I mean you don't even have a console why judge me ffs?
    Growing up, I realized you shouldn't try to impress people, just be who you are & stand out for what you believe in, & let the haters hate ;)

Back