• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon is going downhill

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    Almost everywhere, all the old Pokemon fans have been turned into Narutards, and I barely see any merchandise anywhere, only the games, possibly because all the events and merchandise is all at Toys r' us and nowhere else, and the Nearest one is over 100 miles away from us and I never went to a nintendo event because of that, and whenever I try to bring up Pokemon in a conversation, they bring up Naruto or Family Guy, or BOTH (god forbid). Pokemon is still huge in Japan, with food products, a variety show, and the Merchandise is everywhere, not just Toys r' us like in the states, where the only merchandise you can find is the games (as in the video games, not board games), I remember when Pokemon was huge in the states, and everyone watched the anime and the merchandise was everywhere, what happened to those days. Was it the 3rd generations release back in 2003, the cosntantly cliche repeating and recycled plot of the anime (as well as the removal of Misty), either way, I am seeing the Pokemon franchise go downhill

roacherman

Time Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    I think youre right it is going downhill, but not because of the merchandise (to hell with merchandise), but because of the quality of the episodes. I mean the old series was sooooo epic (especially the first few episodes when they called pokemon "pokomon" XD), but now it is filled with even worse mistakes and bad story lines (please someone remind ash that there is such a thing as move involnurbilities. I mean really, Ash's pikachu is way to powerful these days. It used to be fine when it used only agility, thunder jolt, and thunder but now it know iron tail, volt tackle, thunder and much more. I mean those moves basically guarantee victory for any battle. Anyways I agree that it is going downhill but not because of those reasons.

btw I got a shirt of pokemon from it used to be first gen XD

Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2009
    I agree, but mostly because I think it seems like the anime's getting more childish. That's just my opinion, though. I'd probably have to watch the new seasons more to be sure.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I disagree. Sure not everything has been great, and I can certainly think of some major problems with the 3rd and 4th generations, but can I just say one thing to you?

Physical/Special split. 'Nuff said.

Years
    They Just Need To Get More People Watching The Anime And Bringing Them To Play And Watch The Series.
    It's To Childish To Be Honest But I Do Watch It When Its On And I'm Bored. =\

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Anime-wise, you may be right... they are sticking to the same stuff over and over again, but it's certainly doing well enough to maintain viewers and whatnot. =/ Thing is the anime is aimed at the young kids for the most part and hence gets a smaller viewing from the older people, so to speak, so maybe that has something to do about it? Can't say the anime gets much over here though. One can still find Pokemon figurines and cards in shops easily enough though.

Game-wise though it's a different story, luckily. Record sales, and so forth say it's doing pretty well when it comes to the games themselves.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    So what you're saying is its popularity is going downhill? Yeah, that's what happens when something gets 'too' much hype and 'too' much popularity, they turn into fads. Once that wears off you're left with what remains and that is the Pokemon franchise today, which is very big I must say myself. Few things can be as epic as they were back in the day with Pokemon.

But they probably aren't going to lower much more anytime soon, I mean Ruby and Sapphire sold 13 million and Diamond and Pearl sold 15 million, that's a raise, if anything.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    (especially the first few episodes when they called pokemon "pokomon" XD)

That made my day. xD Agreed on that.

Anyway, it's not really downhill. I think it's just the cultures. American teenagers all wanna go get high and get laid (well, in my state, that is) so there's not time for kiddy shows and such. And the recycled plot doesn't help, either. Fads come and go, and that's kind of what Pokemon did with the nation. As for merchandise, I see a few plushies and figures around here. What kind of toy store are you in that doesn't have them? Same with TCG. Those are still everywhere, like Target, Walmart, and Books-A-Million.

And not everyone has become a Narutard. I used to watch it, but I never got into it more than Pokemon. And I only watch three shows on TV now, one of them being Family Guy. It...doesn't create that much of a topic. It may be good for a reference or a joke, but never an entire conversation, or at least one that leads somewhere. I have friends that can talk about Pokemon for a while. I mean, they don't play anymore, but we talk about the good ole days. I even gave my friend a card with Teddiursa (it used to be his favorite) and he said it made his day. You just gotta touch up on that nostalgia.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    I agree with the anime being the main cause of Pokemon's skyrocketing to stardom back in gen 1, and it's slow downfalling currently, After all, the first few episodes were slightly darker and more mature than todays episodes, but then it started to get chidish around the start of Hoenn, Johto was so-so, yeah, it seems like nintendo does not care about the older, longtime fans and adult/teen fans like I am, they only care about the newbs, the younger, newer fans, after all, it was the anime that got me into Pokemon in the first place (it was near the end/halfway point of gen 2 when I got into Pokemon, Ash was fighting Morty for his 4th gym badge, and that was the first episode I saw). I mean seriously, should'nt todays kids know that Ash started his journey very long ago, even though he and the other character have stayed the same age for the past 12-13 years of the Anime's course.... Yeah, nintendo does not care about the older fans.....

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    it is going downhill (possibly cause of the anime) but alot of people still remember playing the old games and watching the old episodes. espically the kids at school. whenever i would bring up pokemon they say like what version they got first and what was their favorite pokemon.

alot of people were turned off from pokemon when the DPPt games came out. they said that there was too many of them out there.

when i told all my friends who use to play pokemon that remakes of gold and silver were coming out they got all excited and started talking about the good ol days. I think that the new games is going to be a HUGE turn around for pokemon in the US.

roacherman

Time Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    alot of people were turned off from pokemon when the DPPt games came out. they said that there was too many of them out there.

Oh god don't remind me about that. Eventually theyll have about 1000 pokemon or so and then Itll be impossible to actually "Catch 'em all" (anybody remember when that used to be the slogan? Good times)......

Anyways, I think another reason why pokemon is starting to suck is because of ASH'S PIKACHU! Damn it that thing is too strong. And by the time that ash is in right now, that pikachu must be like lvl 100 or something.... seriously

Guest123_x1

I remember in the late 1990s (already 10 years ago) when just about everybody was into Pokémon-it was like the "in" thing to do.
    I even remember when the anime was syndicated to local TV stations here in the U.S. (in my area, WSMH Fox 66 ran the show in syndication.)

Nowadays, while there are still those hard-core fans-some have been following since the very beginning, you don't hear so much about it anymore.

However, I think roacherman is on to something-every few years or so new Pokémon are added (with each "generation"), eventually there will be over 1,000.
    It'll be next to impossible for some people to even remember them all let alone "Catch 'em all"!

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Except if they kept a Pal Park sort of thing going. Then if they didn't add more, it would be way too easy.

Of course it would be hard for new players, but catching them all isn't everything (after all, that's likely why they dropped the slogan).

roacherman

Time Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Techinically it is because benifits come to the person who catches them all (anyways they could always keep them in a PC) in the form of a diploma and more accessible content. But seriously. I tried to get them all in THIRD GEN and it was almost impossible. If it wasnt for a friend who spent hours with me just giving me them and making me give them back, just so I could have atleast a pokedex entry in every pokemon. Eventually I had only a few missing (that fortunatly I got) and I got them.... not much after.

Anyways back on topic, every gen, IMO less creative pokemon come out. I mean cherrubi? They have seriously run out of ideas. If it were me I would suggest atleast one more gen and letting them drop the whole pokemon frachise in all (except for maybe a few remakes i.e. Soulsilver, Leafgreen) because people will seriously get tired. As for the anime maybe they COULD continue it. Like making ash go back to kanto for its battle frontier (if there is any). I really wouldnt object to the anime since I dont watch it as much anymore (I wasnt even aware till today that Dawn had gotten a cyndaquil XD)

Also another thing that IMO is making the quality of the games decrease is the storyline. Before it used to be some bozo (mind you epic) with really cheesy catchphrases trying to surpass you. Now its some weird organization with horrible pokemon bent on destroying the world (I mean atleast team rocket was epic but Team Magma? Team Galactic? Oh please)

But I do have to compliment on the major minority of pokemon from Gen 4 who are PRETTY epic. One example? Buizel. No more questions

Well there goes my pokerant of the day

btw they actually dropped the slogan? I thought that that slogan has been the same for the last 20-30 years or so

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    Pokemon has only been around since 1997, that's 12 years, and they probably dropped the slogan because Ash did not follow it, seriously, the slogan has not been used since before generation 3 started

Sweet Visions

..is cool!
    Years
    I seriously agree. All my friends back in the day could talk about Pokemon with me, now they talk about Lil Wayne or some stupid stuff like that. I guess they think they're too big for it, not realizing the game is actually pretty challenging strategy wise. Oh well.

Years
    Pokemon was very popular way back when it came out and that is all we kids had really. Nowadays we have all types of new shows and toys. The anime shows have really been awful recently and kids these days want to feel more grown up and not be into kid things.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Pokémon was popular when it came out because it was something original, something amazing and something completely ground-breaking. Nowadays, its just another game. For comparison, think of how popular Super Mario Bros. was when it came out. Now how many people play it?

Back