• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokemon League

Status
Not open for further replies.

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
Years
  • Ive beaten the eigth gym now, and I want some suggestions on my team. Because I dont think there strong enough to continue :P.

Machoke Lv 43
    Rock Climb
    Rock Smash
    Cross Chop
    Brick Break

Floatzel Lv 44
    Surf
    Swift
    Waterfall
    Crunch

Golbat Lv 44
    Fly
    Sludge Bomb
    Aerial Ace
    Mean Look

Torterra Lv 43
    Cut
    Earthquake
    Synthesis
    Razor Leaf

Skuntank Lv 43
    Defog
    Flamethrower
    Shadow Ball
    Night Slash

Luxray Lv 45
    Thunderbolt
    Strength
    Charge
    Crunch

Sajiri

Wandering Trainer
    Years
  • Definitely want to level them up, the champion's pkmn are all in their 60s lv wise (I think her strongest is 66)
    I think you have all the needed types covered. Just evolve the golbat like Oniko said and if possible, evolve the machoke for good measure ;p

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Nice, it's a very well balanced team. But I'm afraid your team won't do for the league, you need to bulk up your team and make it tougher. Evolve your Golbat and try to level up all your pokemon. I suggest you put Discharge in place of Strength for Luxray's movesets. Charge and continueing it with discharge is a good strategy. Well, good luck!

Sajiri

Wandering Trainer
    Years
  • Nice, it's a very well balanced team. But I'm afraid your team won't do for the league, you need to bulk up your team and make it tougher. Evolve your Golbat and try to level up all your pokemon. I suggest you put Discharge in place of Strength for Luxray's movesets. Charge and continueing it with discharge is a good strategy. Well, good luck!

Actually that seems a little silly. Luxray already has thunderbolt which is stronger than discharge, and since there's no double battles in the league discharge doesnt have much point.

Since luxrays have better attack anyway, providing your luxray has good attack I would suggest replacing strength with return since at max happiness it has higher power

On another note, how useful is charge? It was one of the first moves I deleted, I dont know how much of a boost it gives but serebii says it charges power to boost the electric move next, which means you're going to have to use it before every electric attack. I think you'd be better off just using thunderbolt over and over otherwise you're throwing away one turn just for a little boost. If you have any pp ups, use a few on thunder bolt or just take a bunch of elixers and/or leppa berries

Edit: I really should pay attention when Im reading people's movesets.

Okay, keep in mind that in 4th gen attack damage based on atk and sp atk are determined by whether the attack is physical or not. Certain moves of a single type may be far more powerful on one pokemon than others. For example, your floatzel has surf and waterfall. Since they dont have any added effects, you only need one of them. Surf is sp atk based and has more base power, but floatzels have a higher base atk stat. Work out which one does more damage depending on your floatzel's stats and replace the other attack with Ice beam (which you're really going to need for Cynthia's garchomp)

I would suggest you delete all other HM moves- cut, strength, rocksmash (possibly defog, I forget what it does in battle) these all have low power (except strength, but return is stronger). Fly can be deleted, it does have 90 base power but it is a two turn attack- in those two turns it would have been exactly the same as using a 45 power attack. Aerial Ace, on the other hand, is good since it would deal more damage across those two turns, plus it never misses, so if someone starts spamming evasion boosting moves, just hit them with that. Although if you dont have anything else you really want your golbat to have, you can just keep fly, since its about the only hm you will use regularly (all the others can be taught to other pokemon and you just switch somoene in your team on the brief occasion that you need it) Rock climb, however, is up to you. It has good power, but lower accuracy, so it might miss a bit. If you delete rock smash, give your machoke something OTHER than a fighting or rock type move. I try to cover as many types as I can with my team to try and handle whatever comes at them. (such as my leafeon having aerial ace for when I get thrown up against grass and bug types)
    Think about what they'd need an edge against (though not necessarily dealing with something effective against them since they'd faint quickly anyway) and teach that.

Other than that...I wouldnt know what to replace any of those hm moves with. Of your team, the only ones I ever used were floatzel and luxray (and I dumped my floatzel right after the league too lol) so I dont know what moves the others can learn

Last edited:

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
  • I think im starting to get this battle tactics and so on.
    I've balanced my team out a bit, giving them attacks that would go good against their weakness. Though I've also looked into the physical and special attacks. Ill explain my team a bit more now :P.

Skuntank Lv 46
    Flamethrower - Special
    Shadow Ball - Special
    Night Slash - Physical
    ------------ - In need of an attack. Preferebly physical.
    Info: Attack and Special Attack are around the same, Sp Def is a bit bad though.

Machoke Lv 45
    Rock Climb - Physical
    Cross Chop - Physical
    Brick Break - Physical
    Fire Blast - Special
    Info: Considering flint has a skarmory, if I recall :S. I added fire blast because Fighting would do normal damage. Special attack is a bit weak though, while attack is up in the 100's.

Torterra Lv 45
    Earthquake - Physical
    Crunch - Physical
    Razor Leaf - Physical
    Rock Slide - Physical
    Info: I added all physicals because of its high attack, special attack isnt too far off, but considering its slow speed I think I should go off with a high damaging attack.

Floatzel Lv 45
    Surf - Special
    Swift - Special
    Crunch - Physical
    Ice Beam - Special
    Info: Attack and special attack are around the same, though special attack wins it. And considering its a water type I think it would be better off with special attacks. I kept crunch to balance some of it out.

Crobat Lv 48
    Fly - Physical
    Sludge Bomb - Special
    Aerial Ace - Physical
    Mean Look - Nothing ;p.
    Info: I evolved it like you guys said, but im having trouble choosing its move set, I was thinking of adding X-scissor for pyschic pokemon, but I dont know what to get rid off. Attack is the preffered stat choice.

Luxray Lv 48
    Thunderbolt - Special
    Return - Physical
    Crunch - Physical
    Iron Tail - Physical
    Info: I added return like you guys said, which will end up doing more than strength considering ive trained Luxray up from a level 4 Shinx. And it is one of my strong Pokemon. Its Attack is miles off its special attack, but its special attack is high aswell though :P.

Suggestions?

Years
  • Well I remember when I barely beat the Elite Four alot of people told me to evolve my pokemon. I evolved my starter to Level 55, and all my others to: 54,53,52,51,50. And alot of people critisized my team, and yet I managed to beat the Elite Four swiftly. Just make sure you have all the types covered.

Come to think of it, I didn't beat the Elite Four that long ago. I've leveled up all my pokemon by like two levesl since the league.

Sajiri

Wandering Trainer
    Years
  • Your team is looking much better now. My only nitpicky now is that you taught your machoke fireblast- that probably wasnt the best idea if it doesnt have good sp atk, but I dunno, hopefully its defenses are good enough for it to last long enough to do hit some more times.
    As for your crobat, maybe get rid of mean look? I dont think you really need that. Unless you get rid of fly.
    Good luck on the league then =p

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2012
    Ive beaten the eigth gym now, and I want some suggestions on my team. Because I dont think there strong enough to continue :P.

Machoke Lv 43
    Rock Climb
    Rock Smash
    Cross Chop
    Brick Break

Floatzel Lv 44
    Surf
    Swift
    Waterfall
    Crunch

Golbat Lv 44
    Fly
    Sludge Bomb
    Aerial Ace
    Mean Look

Torterra Lv 43
    Cut
    Earthquake
    Synthesis
    Razor Leaf

Skuntank Lv 43
    Defog
    Flamethrower
    Shadow Ball
    Night Slash

Luxray Lv 45
    Thunderbolt
    Strength
    Charge
    Crunch

there is a lot of attacking moves there, maybe include some other moves. level them up to above level 55, and take quite a lot of revives and max potions.

cynthia would be a massive pain on your team, her garchomp (i forget its level, i think its about level 66) would give your team quite a lot of problems.

EDIT: okay i didnt read your new team, it looks a bit better now, im still not sure about all the attacking moves, what ever happened to mixing it up a bit? ;p

indyfan

I want your Master Balls
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2008
    uh, try to beat them, so you lose? you gain exp, who cares eh?

pull yourself up and try again

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2011
    ya i went in to it with a lvl 52 infernape, 51 palkia, 50 mismagius, 50 golduck, 50 raichu, and 46 chatot. just made sure i had PLENTY of revives and full restores, and max potions. Btw saving before each battle is the smartest thing ever. One mistake can lose you the match so just start the batte over and make better decisions.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2008
    make sure all your pokes are at least 52 and you have plenty of revives and hyper/max potions, and you should be fine. Your moves look pretty good as well.

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
  • Why did you put Fire Blast on Machoke? Flint doesn't even have a skarmory. Even if he did, Luxray's T-bolt could take it out faster. And this is the league, they aren't that tough if you're at a descent Level. That team could do okay. Even if you lose you'll probably have beaten three of them, gained Exp, and be better able to beat them the next time around.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back