• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Pokemon League

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
  • Hey guys.

The Pokemon League is doing my head in, and I'm all out of ideas. I've battled every trainer in the game. Here's my team:

Eevee Level 47
    Ariados Level 46
    Onix Level 46
    Dragonair Level 47
    Kingler Level 49
    Typhlosion Level 50

So at the moment I'm hopelessly stuck. Any suggestions?

Another thing that's also annoying me is Eevee. I'm struggling to evolve him into an Umbreon at the moment. Made him as happy as I could on my journey but he still wont. Anyone have any tips in this area too?

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • Does your Typhlosion know Tunderpunch? This will help you immensely against Will's Xatus and Slowbro, as well as Lance's Gyrados and Charizard. If he doesn't already have it, go buy the TM for it at the Goldenrod Dept. store. Also, have you been giving your Eevee haircuts in the underground and how many times has it fainted in battle if any? You also need to use more items on it sometimes even if you don't really need to (NEVER use those cheap healing powders you can buy from the underground it makes your pokemon like you LESS). I also used my Shadow Ball TM that I got from Morty on my Eevee and it's a very useful move against psychics and ghost types. My Eevee evolved into an Espeon at level 42. Who exactly are you having trouble with because with your team you shouldn't really be having too many problems until the Dark type girl (I forgot her name) because you have type advantages against most of the Elite 4's pokemon.

Years
  • The above advice is useful.

Onix and Ariados are really poor pokemon. If you can evolve Onix, it will be usable. Asuming you're playing an an emulator, VBA Link will allow you to trade and complete the evolution. This assumption is only based on the fact that most retail carts are dead. Ariados is just plain poor. If you want a bug, run Scizor or Heracross.

Dragonair will evolve at LV 55, so I suggest you allow it to do so.

With the other poster's suggestion of Shadow Ball, it's actually a poor choice. Hopefull you kept Bite, which complements Psychic moves well, should you go with Espeon. It also gets a bonus with Umbreon's Dark type.

A general rule of thumb for the elite four is to have your team at around your rival's level. Stock up on items and save before each trainer, so if things turn sour, you can reset.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    Onix and Ariados are poor Pokemon, and you're Pokemon are underleveled, I'm sorry to say.

Go to victory road, and train for about like half an hour, when the dust clears, you should have a Dragonite, a Umbreon/Espeon.

I also agree with #1, you should teach Thunderpunch to Typloshion.

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • Actually his pokemon really aren't that underleveld, when I first took on the Elite 4 a while ago this was my team:

Typhlosion- 47
    Pidgeot- 47
    Espeon- 47
    Growlithe- 47 (since you can't get a firestone until Kanto)
    Sandslash- 47
    Gyrados- 47

I had almost no trouble with the Elite 4 using this team, even Lance's lvl 50 Dragonite went down failry easy. I never had to use revives and I only used potions in between battles.

G/S/C really does have the weakest Elite 4 out of all the games imo. The only Elite 4 trainer that I find weaker than G/S/C's Koga would have to be D/P/Pt's Aaron.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2009
    All you need to do is evolve you Dragonair and Eevee, level all your pokemon up to around 55-60, and you'll be fine.
    And make sure to have as many full restores and revives as possible.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    You can get away with using pretty much anything in-game, so Onix and Ariados are fine. I use an Ariados on my Japanese Crystal, and it hasn't lagged behing my Typhlosion and Quagsire at all.

You can have a team of Caterpie, Weedle, Magikarp, Sunkern, Unown, and Tyrouge and still beat the game if they're at a high enough level.

Last edited:

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I taught Typhlosion Thunderpunch and everything worked out in the end.

Archer, I disgaree with a lot of your points. No offense. My intention was always to evolve Onix, but unfortunately you can't get the Metal Coat until after the League. Ariados is one of the best bug types in the game, barring Scizor and Heracross as you mentioned. And Umbreon > Espeon for me. Just my opinion. I need smething to beat Red's Espeon with.

Nope, I'm using a GBC cartridge. My retail carts for Gold and Crystal are fine. Silver died years ago though. It's really weird.

Back