• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Legends

Status
Not open for further replies.

jps101

Pokemon Trainer
Years
Hey guys! I've been here for a while, just not much of a brilliant poster. But I LOVE to write stories. So... I thought i'd give you guys a chance to tell me what you think about my stories.

First thing first though. I'm accepting character submissions. Now there are 2 slots open for the travelling group, and then other slots open for trainers that may be rivals, or co-ordinators, or just random people who appear in the story.
Here's the form:

Name:
Pokemon team: (Please give description on moves and such)
Biography:
Description of trainer: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=Pokemon+trainer#/d22oh1n If you could use that link there to make the general look of your trainer, and then put it into paint with just the trainer, and then get the imageshack link for it, I would be very grateful.

Yeah well. Once I've got 2 people that will travel with the hero around the first region, then I'll post the first part of the story.

Have fun making up trainers and hope you'll enjoy my story.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't exactly send the right message when you say you love writing stories but can't/won't come up with a full cast on your own.

Sure, this kind of thing might fly on Fanfiction.net and dA, but the quality of those kinds of fics tend to leave a lot to be desired. One of the main problems is the fact that it's difficult to take OCs and figure out how to use them. Unlike canon characters, you can't simply analyze them and figure out what they're like or slap something together and call it your own interpretation. The people who know these characters the best (or might actually feed their own personalities into said characters) are your own readers, meaning you can't really screw up because you might just end up disappointing someone.

Beyond that, people tend to create characters without getting a good feel of what your story is about. As a result, they might give you a character that just doesn't fit the story you have in mind. (This goes especially for your potential story because, well, we don't really know what your story actually is.) If you're a highly skilled writer, you might be able to get away with this anyway, but most likely, you'll have characters you really can't use because they just don't fit your setting or concepts. (For example, if you're writing about a completely human cast in a serious fic, you might end up with an anthro character with all kinds of psychic abilities. You can either risk making that character seem horrendously out-of-place, or you can just leave them out. But imagine if half your cast was like that, leading to a pretty hodge-podge story thanks to a hodge-podge cast of characters who were developed separately and don't exactly work well together.)

Of course, the third problem is that it might come off as a little lazy, especially if you don't have any other stories in your repertoire. No offense intended or anything. It's just that one of the primary skills a writer has to have is the ability to create their own characters as needed for whatever scenario they have. That and how do we know you'll do our characters justice?

If you want to create a story like this, though, I'd recommend trying your hand at running RPGs over in the Roleplay forum. Granted, you won't be able to play the characters people submit (because this would be a form of god-modding), but you can still create a story that revolves around characters from other people's minds.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
And everything I could say to this has been said already.

Except that this was in the wrong section. And I'll give you a chance to reply to advice given, so I'll just move this.

jps101

Pokemon Trainer
Years
No... It was in the right area :< I was going to put the actual story on here too. And yeah. I do say I love to write stories, but it's not that I can't think of a full cast, it's the fact that I want the readers to be involved in the story aswell.

But yeah. I see where you're coming from. I do have other stories. Just none of them are on here.

Seeing as this thread seems to have no more use anymore. Can it get closed or removed please?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
No... It was in the right area :< I was going to put the actual story on here too.
Then:

section's rules said:
Your first post of your fanfic thread must contain a part of your fanfic.
Do not use your first post for author notes only. Include either the first chapter or your prologue in your first post.
It would have been closed anyhow. And it just seems like you didn't even have a story ready to post, because you were waiting for various characters.

And I suggest not to try and include readers that deeply into the story. You can't please everyone. (What if someone really wanted their character to be one of the mains, but instead they get a very very minor mention? They wouldn't be happy.)

You can post one of the stories that you already have written, so that we can actually see how you write with characters that you created and the stories that they fit in. It'll be less of a mess, and we'll see what you can do all on your own.

Thread closed on OP's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back